Did John the baptist go to heaven?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
The baptism of occupying forces by John the Baptist must have been considered quite progressive amongst the Jews in Israel, which at the time was under Roman jurisdiction.

Luke 3:14

Sep 16, 2014
1. I believe John The Baptist is indeed in Heaven.

2. I don't believe you need to be baptised to be saved - although being baptised it a good idea.
I agree. There is no record of John being water baptized.

Why did John baptize Jesus? The answer will answer the OP.

Now consider Matthew 3:14-15 (KJV) [SUP]14 [/SUP] But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

[SUP]15 [/SUP] And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness.
Then he suffered him.

Why didn't Jesus return quid pro quo? The right answer will answer the OP.

Let me give some answer.

First, concerning water baptism concerning John the Baptist and Jesus. Jesus did all the Father told Him to do and say. The two didn't meet again on earth! One meeting all their lives, as John had preached he didn't know Jesus before baptizing Jesus.

John 1:33-36 (KJV)

[SUP]33 [/SUP] And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which
baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
[SUP]34 [/SUP] And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.
[SUP]35 [/SUP] Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples;
[SUP]36 [/SUP] And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!
T

That was the second time for John to see Jesus, for the last time. The only other recorded communication between them was when John sent some disciples to Jesus for an answer to John's questions twice, the second time when John was in prison. John did his ministry to his death, Jesus did His to His death. Jesus performed His ministry apart from what John was called to do, to prepare the people to know who the Son of God would be.

That made him the greatest of prophets, according to Jesus. Yet no baptism for John? Why withhold that from John? I often wonder how John took that, witnessing the second confirmation in Matthew 3:17 (KJV)
[SUP]17 [/SUP] And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

OK, Jesus, how about baptizing me right now? No, it doesn't say John had another word to say there until the next day.

Paul also said his ministry wasn't about baptizing folks. If he had started that, he would have possibly had no time for his ministry, ending up doing John's ministry.

Back to John. He was sent by God to watch for the Messiah. That was confirmed to him in the river, face to face with Jesus. He believed upon Jesus. Here's the kicker. John preached a different baptism was coming, one done by Jesus. Jesus suffered him his water baptism, but has a spiritual baptism for His disciples. That is the one recorded in Acts 19:4-7 (KJV)
[SUP]4 [/SUP] Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
[SUP]5 [/SUP] When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
[SUP]6 [/SUP] And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
[SUP]7 [/SUP] And all the men were about twelve.

Notice all those men were disciples of John Baptist. They already had received water baptism. What came next was that baptism John preached was coming.

That baptism is beyond repentance, being spiritually immersed in Christ, not H2O. Then came the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

John believed, doing what he preached all should do, believe on the Christ. He had some questions like all of us do. At the least John would have been risen from his death to join Jesus and that thief on a cross , in "Paradise". Ah, another topic! Remember about the crowd that rose from their graves walking through town? Matthew 27:51-53 (KJV)
[SUP]51 [/SUP] And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
[SUP]52 [/SUP] And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
[SUP]53 [/SUP] And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

I think it not strange that John was among them.

I hope all ya'll enjoy giving thanks tomorrow.

Last edited:
K

Kaycie

Yes he went to heaven. It doesn't matter if he himself was baptized- he was under the old covenant because Christ had not died yet. And John's baptism didn't save- it helped people repent of their sins- not wash away their old sins, and it rolled out the red carpet for Christ- it prepared the people to transition from the old covenant to the new covenant of baptism. Those who were baptized by John still needed to be baptized into Christ after Christ's death and resurrection.

Last edited:
S

Seekeroftruth03

I mean, he must not have, after all, he was never baptized, was he?
When our bodies leave this world, our spirits either go to two places. One, in heaven, where the righteous are, or two, in hell, where the unrighteous and wicked reside. Ask yourself, was John the Baptist a righteous man? Yes he was. He was a bright and shining lamp as the Word of God says. Did the holy and the righteous men who served God in the old testament go to heaven? Yes they did. God is a just God.

Dec 12, 2013
I will keep believing what the bible says.

Jn 11:1,2 John writes about Lazarus and his sisters Mary and Martha. Verse 2 John says "(It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)" But it was not until Jn 12:3 that Mary anointed Jesus feet with oil. So in Jn 11:2 John was using a prolepsis where he spoke of an event in anticipation of the occurance of the event BEFORE the event happened just as Jesus spoke of the church anticipating the coming event of the church.
Your lost state blinds you to truth....so what you believe is your own twisted dogma which causes you to miss the MARK on almost everything you say.....Matthew 18:15-20....Your application of prolepsis to the CHURCH which was in existence, started by Jesus when he CALLED OUT the material prepared by JOHN the Baptist and then SENT to the LOST sheep of the house of Israel and being spoken of in the PRESENT TENSE in Matthew 18 shows your ignorance of and rejection of truth!

Dec 12, 2013
Baptism is for the remission of sins, how is one saved if their sins have not been forgiven?
I am the Lord thy God I change NOT...JESUS Christ the same yesterday, today, tomorrow and for ever...

So....David, Noah, Moses, Joshua, The prophets, Josiah, Hezekiah, Hannah, Solomon, Jacob, Abraham, Isaac......what immersion did they have...and for those who will say...they are not a N.T. example of salvation...don't bother...ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD and it was PUT to HIS ACCOUNT for righteousness..

O.T saints--->believed in a COMING MESSIAH
N.T. saints-----> LOOK BACK to the MESSIAH
FAITH saves BOTH!

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
The baptism of occupying forces by John the Baptist must have been considered quite progressive amongst the Jews in Israel, which at the time was under Roman jurisdiction.

Luke 3:14
John the Baptist was announcing the coming of God's kingdom and judgment (not only towards the Romans, John said that Jews should not rely on their belonging to Abraham), while Christ was announcing the year of God's favor/mercy.

H

hopesprings

I am the Lord thy God I change NOT...JESUS Christ the same yesterday, today, tomorrow and for ever...

So....David, Noah, Moses, Joshua, The prophets, Josiah, Hezekiah, Hannah, Solomon, Jacob, Abraham, Isaac......what immersion did they have...and for those who will say...they are not a N.T. example of salvation...don't bother...ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD and it was PUT to HIS ACCOUNT for righteousness..

O.T saints--->believed in a COMING MESSIAH
N.T. saints-----> LOOK BACK to the MESSIAH
FAITH saves BOTH!
It's all ONE story
unfortunate that some try to divide it into two

good work d
:)

H

hopesprings

u don't have to be baptize to enter heaven...If you believe in your heart and repent of your sins and follow His ways and lean on him you will go to heaven. John believed and Love Jesus. The true thing is that it's all about committing to Jesus and to follow Him. Jesus was baptized and that we can still be baptize if we want to but we don't have to. Cause Jesus all ready had wiped away our sins for us. Yes I was baptized about 9 years ago and I did it to show my commitment to God. And that I will all ways be his and that he is mine. :)
wait AbbeyJoy! You mean...all I have to do is confess with my mouth and believe in my heart that Jesus is alive today and I will be saved?! I think I've heard something similar to this before.....
Hmmm I wonder where

S

soccermom19

Baptism is an ordinance of the church along with The Lord's Supper. Neither are necessary for salvation. Therefore, yes I believe that John the Baptist is in Heaven.

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
For Saint John the Baptist, salvation didn't meant a heavenly future awaiting for him after death. I know it doesn't answer the question, but I thought is good to remind you this.

P

phil112

Okay, this is the first time I looked back at this post. I really didn't expect it to get much attention. Pretty entertaining. I only read thru about half of the second page, but it seems like that' prolly enough.

As a couple have pointed out, no, he actually hasn't gone to heaven yet, but he absolutely will. I guess I should have been more specific, but I think everyone understands the basic premise.

Certainly I was being facetious. It is ridiculous to think otherwise, after all, John was the modern day Isaiah. It was merely to point out the fact that baptism is not a requirement of being saved. Obedience is, tho. Some folks get all confused about that. Some say, "Well, he wasn't under the new testament, but the old. Okay, then why did Christ get baptized? He WAS the new. And He also was no sinner, so clearly it wasn't necessary to qualify Him for a return to heaven.

The scripture is plain. Where we are told that we must "repent and be baptized", then what does that mean? It means, that we must repent and be obedient. In other words, repentance is the beginning of salvation. It is a journey, and tho many will argue this too, we must stay the course to maintain that treasured status with Christ. The thief and John surely didn't get baptized, but if they had been offered the opportunity, there can be no doubt they would have willingly done so.

Just think about it awhile, if you're not sure or don't agree. Study the word and stay in prayer. God will reveal His truth to you if you earnestly seek it.

Mar 12, 2014
Your lost state blinds you to truth....so what you believe is your own twisted dogma which causes you to miss the MARK on almost everything you say.....Matthew 18:15-20....Your application of prolepsis to the CHURCH which was in existence, started by Jesus when he CALLED OUT the material prepared by JOHN the Baptist and then SENT to the LOST sheep of the house of Israel and being spoken of in the PRESENT TENSE in Matthew 18 shows your ignorance of and rejection of truth!

I gave you an example of a prolepsis in Jn 11:1,2 cf Jn 12:2. I can give more if necessary, but Mt 18:17 is where Jesus was talking about the church in anticipation of the coming of the church. Again, in the SAME CHAPTER of Mt 18 in verses 1-3 the disciples were not in the kingdom/church in Mt 18 for it did not exist yet in Mt 18. Mt 16:18 the church was to be built in the future, it was not built in the book of Matthew.
And of course, the NT did not exist at the time of John so how could there be a "NT church" when no NT existed at the time of John or during the time period Matthew wrote about?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2014
It was merely to point out the fact that baptism is not a requirement of being saved. Obedience is, tho.

Yet Christ's baptism of the great commission, Mt 28:19,20; Mk 16:16; Acts 2:38; Acts 10:47,48 is commanded. One must obey this command to be obedient...and obedience is necessary to being saved as you say above. Therefore NOT being water baptized is DISobedience/sin/unrighteousness/lost state.