Do little kids go to Hell for playing?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

smithbr8

lie

1 /laɪ/ Show Spelled [lahy] Show IPA noun, verb, lied, ly·ing.
noun 1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
It isn't your real name. You deliberately made that name.

2. something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture: His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one. You are an imposture. That is not your name.

3. an inaccurate or false statement.

4. the charge or accusation of lying: He flung the lie back at his accusers.

verb (used without object) 5. to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive.

6. to express what is false; convey a false impression.
If that's not your name, but you are assuming the identity, then yes, you are lying about it.

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
I'm 22 and I still pretend. Sometimes when I'm in my car, jamming out to my music, I pretend I'm a drummer. Sometimes when I'm cooking, I pretend I'm on a cooking show (I know, I'm strange).

Or when I play with my little cousins, I play pretend with them.

Having an imagination isn't going to send you to hell. Rejecting Jesus will.

S

smithbr8

I'm 22 and I still pretend. Sometimes when I'm in my car, jamming out to my music, I pretend I'm a drummer. Sometimes when I'm cooking, I pretend I'm on a cooking show (I know, I'm strange).

Or when I play with my little cousins, I play pretend with them.

Having an imagination isn't going to send you to hell. Rejecting Jesus will.
But isn't it lying? You bear false witness and lie about who you actually are. I mean, if you're pretending that's fine, but don't you have to accept Christ as your new "persona" or else you're a heathen again?

Jan 12, 2013
But isn't it lying? You bear false witness and lie about who you actually are. I mean, if you're pretending that's fine, but don't you have to accept Christ as your new "persona" or else you're a heathen again?
I think that's a bit cynical .. I mean, everyone has an imagination.

When I put myself in someone else's shoes and write a song about their experiences, does that mean I'm a heathen?

J

jimmydiggs

I think that's a bit cynical .. I mean, everyone has an imagination.
The possessing of an imagination doesn't make it okay. If mass ownership makes something okay, I don't think we have much of an objection to sin. ;)

That being said, I think the question about whether role-playing is a lie or not is a fair question.

I have wondered this too at times. Moses, as I recall, had a couple spies enter into an enemy camp. I've wondered about that. Last night I watched a movie on Corrie Ten Boom. The Ten Boom family were Dutch Christians, who hid Jews in their home and lied when being search. "No, of course there are no Jews here!"

Admittedly, I was uncomfortable with that. I think often we take on situational ethics with a guide known as Christian Morals. I'm not sure this is a good thing.

Jan 12, 2013
The possessing of an imagination doesn't make it okay. If mass ownership makes something okay, I don't think we have much of an objection to sin. ;)

That being said, I think the question about whether role-playing is a lie or not is a fair question.

I have wondered this too at times. Moses, as I recall, had a couple spies enter into an enemy camp. I've wondered about that. Last night I watched a movie on Corrie Ten Boom. The Ten Boom family were Dutch Christians, who hid Jews in their home and lied when being search. "No, of course there are no Jews here!"

Admittedly, I was uncomfortable with that. I think often we take on situational ethics with a guide known as Christian Morals. I'm not sure this is a good thing.
My statement was in regards to the context of the topic at hand, not a general sweeping statement.

If a child pretends he is a fireman, what is wrong with that? He is a child!

If I take on the experiences of another person and write it into song, there is nothing inherently wrong with that either.

Much is about motive.

Why does the child want to be a fireman? to save lives perhaps?

Why do I take my friend's experiences and write a song? Because perhaps someone can glean comfort from knowing they are not alone.

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
Pretending I'm a drummer in my car is lying about who I actually am? I don't go around claiming to BE a drummer. That would be a lie. But I'm pretty sure I can act like one in my car and be okay.

Would you say that all actors are liars, all expression of imagination is lying, all pretend play is lying? Would you also say that figurative speech is a lie as well?

J

jimmydiggs

Pretending I'm a drummer in my car is lying about who I actually am? I don't go around claiming to BE a drummer. That would be a lie. But I'm pretty sure I can act like one in my car and be okay.

Would you say that all actors are liars, all expression of imagination is lying, all pretend play is lying? Would you also say that figurative speech is a lie as well?
I tend to think the answer is "no", because there is no intent to deceive.

A situation many can relate to: If your parents/employer ask you to do something, and later ask if you have... is it a lie, if you think you did, affirm that you did, and later find you did not? I don't think that is necessarily a lie, but it was affirming something that isn't true.

Immawildthing

Jan 20, 2013
Nice to know yet another person decides I'm not worth their time.(NEVER SAID THIS)

Attempting to continue a conversation utilizing all parts of your conversation, however to simply say "You opinion doesn't matter at all, I'm right you're wrong" (NEVER SAID THIS) then....there's no room for discussion. I'm not saying I'm right. Hence, the questions. It's a discussion. Your move if you wish to continue the discussion, go ahead.
Oh my Gosh!!! Every reply in the post I made, made it quite obvious that you only listened to what you wanted to hear. You took everything I said, and threw it out.
All I said is that an illogical person cannot be reasoned with. I did not say that you weren't worth the time. If you choose to be an illogical person, and debate like an illogical person, then that's fine, that's your choice, that's your deal, I know (from the scriptures) not to argue with a foolish person. Arguing with a cool only proves there are two. I'm not arguing yet (before you assume that I already am), I've attempted to enlighten you, and it hasn't helped. Obviously, everyone else's attempts aren't helping either.
Let me know when you decide to "consider all things", and "be ye not foolish in your dealings", and be respectful, as most here are trying to be, then I am more than willing to spend my time, trying to explain to you, anything you may have questions about.
The simple answer to your question, in every one of these posts, has been "No, a child will not." I've heard it said (I don't remember where), that hell as no claim on children.
Gods children in particular. If you choose to be Gods child, then there's no reason to ever break his commandments.
I've also heard it said, that Gods commandments were sent to teach us how to love, because people don't know how anymore, sadly enough.
If you love God, why would you put other Gods before him?
If you loved your mother and father, why would you disrespect them?
If you loved your neighbor, why would you lie, steal, or covet his property?

Another thing you said, was about movies.... I certainly hope that my children, someday, will understand that nothing on the tv is real, but when they're young, I don't expect them to understand that. I grew up, never believing, for one minute, that there was a Santa, I wasn't deprived of any joy in my life. I loved my life, I loved waking up Christmas Morning, knowing that all the presents for me, we're from my parents, not from some creep I didn't know anything about.
It's funny how you should mention movies though.... When in your opinion, and your views, everyone on the screen, or using their voices for the characters, is lying. It makes sense, if I though about it in your way of thinking.
Otherwise... Really, it doesn't.

K

Kefa52

Kefa is Hebrew for Peter, Peter is my middle name. I was 52 when I decided to use Kefa. so there:p
This thread is getting a little over the top.

T

Tintin

I sincerely hope that smithbr8 is a troll because this line of thinking is dangerous, hurtful, disturbing and silly. If you're not going to listen to others, why bother?

B

BLINDSIDE_CHIK

How is it any different than celebrating birthdays? Aren't we taking Christ out of that day by telling them "This is your special day" and forcing them to forget about our Lord while they blow out the candles? We lie to them then too, it's not their special day, no day is.
Well in any case, about birthdays, christmas, etc ..its the way you approach it. you can say "God gave you this gift on your birthday, or God gave me you as a gift so today we are recognizing that" if they understand that, depends how old they are...instead of saying to the kid...this is all about you today so be stuck up about it, cause they will.

Sep 13, 2012
only here would this get three pages of replies

Jul 24, 2010
What I mean is if they are playing a game and pretend to be a mommy, or a fireman, or a cowboy, do they go to hell since they're lying to others saying "I'm a fireman!" ? How is that any different than telling "lies" to your children about Santa?
How is it any different than celebrating birthdays? Aren't we taking Christ out of that day by telling them "This is your special day" and forcing them to forget about our Lord while they blow out the candles? We lie to them then too, it's not their special day, no day is.

tjogs

Jun 28, 2009
I read many times here that "pretending to be something or someone is lying and bearing false witness to your neighbor, which is a sin against God". And every time read that I feel that the said itself is lie. (in this particular case)

Pretending is as we all agree (hopefully) acting to be something you are not. But Why pretending is not lyin always?
pretending when it's meant for deception is lie and sin. But you can pretend without decepting and that's when it's not lie because you are not giving anything false to anyone.
Ok someone now asks that if child says "im fireman" isn't that false then? No, because he is playing to be fireman not being actual one, and he is not either trying to decept anyone of thinkin he is actual fireman.

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
I have a story that pertains to pretending, to make the thread a bit lighter. :)

When my cousin, Silas, was about 5 years old, he was playing in church and pretending to be a superhero. One of the teachers said, "Now, you know you're not actually a super hero, you're just pretending, so be careful!" He must have misunderstood what she meant, because a little bit later, a little girl came up to the teacher and said, "Silas was mean to me!" The teacher went to talk to Silas. He told the teacher, "I wasn't mean to her, I was just pretending to be mean!" I'm not sure if his intent was to be cheeky, but either way I thought it was hilarious. :D

Oct 31, 2011
I think Christ has answered this question very well. He said “It has been told you” and he went on to list some of the sins that we are not to commit like murder or swearing. Then Christ told us what He added to it. He also talked of how to obey the commandments about fasting and the Sabbath. In each case, it was the intent, and purpose that was the important thing. God’s purpose is love. If you obey the Sabbath and don’t have the well being of people in how you obey, it isn’t obeying. If you don’t murder someone, but you hate them, you aren’t obeying the law not to murder.

Lets take this to children playacting. If the child is sending a message to God that he does not like how God created him, won’t accept it, then I would guess his play acting isn’t following God. If he is testing out different ways he could live the life God gave him, it is working with God’s plan for him.

We aren’t to be like the Pharisee who obeyed the letter of the law without any obedience to law.

C

crosswinds

Lets take this to children playacting. If the child is sending a message to God that he does not like how God created him, won’t accept it, then I would guess his play acting isn’t following God. If he is testing out different ways he could live the life God gave him, it is working with God’s plan for him.
Really now. In what possible way could playacting mean the child is not accepting how god created him.

tjogs

Jun 28, 2009
Really now. In what possible way could playacting mean the child is not accepting how god created him.
your guestion raised one thing to my mind I heard at school

"Which of the following statement is lie?
- I lie
- I lie right now"