Does God change His mind?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

2Thewaters

God changes not

prayer is important, because it changes our minds

to conform with Gods will and gives us the pwoer to do so

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Yes, imo God has and can change His mind. God is omniscient, but He has relented. An example is when David took the census and God sent a pestilence on Israel to destroy them because of the sin.(2 Samuel 24:16). It says that David sought mercy and the Lord repented (relented) and stopped the angel from destroying all the inhabitants of Jerusalem. God's decisions can sometimes be reversed when/if the hearts of men change. Its not that God is unknowing or indecisive, but that He is a living God who reacts to what we do and don't do. In Genesis 6:6, it says that it repented the Lord that He made man. This doesn't mean that God made a bad decision or changed His mind, but that He regretted the wickedness (sin) of man. God created men and women, but He did not create sin. Sin is something that emanates from us, so God regrets our actions, not His own.

Caredunn, I wouldn't base my career on a phone call. Remember that Gideon was responding to something God asked him to do, while your trying to decide something for yourself. Ask for guidance and the wisdom to make the best decision, but don't expect God to make it for you. Deep down, you probably already know? The Holy Spirit can give you a sense of direction, but the decision is yours. Good luck.

Jul 27, 2011
it's good that you are seeking Gods direction, i've found the first answer is the one thats better for me to follow. here is one time i wasn't sure what God wanted. some lady walked up to me and asked if i could do something for her as i was sitting on the porch. i didn't get a good feeling, so i said i need to check it out with God. i went into house and asked God, and the answer was no, not an audible no just the feeling. then i started thinking what is this lady going to think, what kind of christian is this guy, so i asked God again, this time i didn't feel an answer, so i thought it was ok, went out on porch and told the lady let me get my shoes on, as i was going to get my shoes, i was stopped in my tracks, this was to much, i told the lady i couldn't do it. What pleases people, doesn't always please God.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
In my last Bible study group we studied Gideon. I was interested to see that God allowed Gideon to ask for conformation twice. If God allowed Gideon to do that why not me? At that time I was offered a job so I prayed about it. I already had 3 part time jobs so if God wanted me to take this new job I asked if He could let me get a call from my subbing job that day. I did not get a call so I took that as a "no God doesn't want me to take this new job". Well I had been praying for a new job so I thought maybe I misunderstood so I again ask God for conformation. This time I asked if He did not want me to take the new job please let me get a call for subbing and I got a call. I took this as no He still doesn't want me to take the new job so I did not take it. A couple of weeks later I felt like God was telling me to go back to school again I prayed "Please God if you want me to go to school please let me get a call today for subbing". No call! Ok so I'm thinking no He doesn't want me to go back to school. Well I wanted to make sure so I prayed again if He does not want me to go to school please let me get a call for subbing. Again no call so I'm confused. First time I think His saying no to school then the next time I think His saying yes to school. I don't believe He changes His mind but I'm not sure what to think now. Any thoughts?
Maybe He wants you to make a few decisions? Seems you put too much "stock" in an "unringing phone" to me. Man up and "take a leap of faith!" Goodness........... :)

Oh, as for the question in the title of the OP, well, yes, there are times God changed His mind. Consider the number of times He was on the brink of destroying all Israel, and because one or another of His servants begged Him not to (even though they surely deserved it), He changed His mind and allowed them to remain.