Does your church have strict dress codes?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

colalella2891

The reality is that we do have priests and churches and formal acts of worship on a regular basis. Of course those who reject such concepts are free to do so. But if you do accept them, it seems right to me that you should dress in a manner that reflects the significance and solemnity of those acts of worship. Is it such a big deal really? I am obliged to wear a uniform to school and that is not to show off or be exclusivist or elitist, just to acknowledge that I am part of a community with a shared identity and common values.
School uniforms aren't really that common in today's society though. There are much more schools who just have a normal/casual dress code. So I don't think that's a very good example when it comes to this topic.

Aug 15, 2009
I think God does care. People often say that God sees the heart so what I do doesn't matter. They are kidding themselves, not being honest. What we do does reflect what is in our hearts. It is almost impossible to care deeply about God and go to worship Him and dressed in our worst.

But what we wear is between us and God, it not anyone else's business.

Actually, it is.
1 Timothy 2:9-10 [SUP]9 [/SUP]Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, [SUP]10 [/SUP]but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.

The church at Ephesus had a problem with over dressing. When the rich show off their goods, it's an act of pride and arrogance. When people under dress, that's also and act of pride and arrogance, for they are showing off something else. When you go to show, both the outward and inward dress is wrong.
When anything is written to the churches, is the church's responsibility to fix the problem....... that means it is somebody else's business.

F

FAITHFULGILLIAN

School uniforms aren't really that common in today's society though. There are much more schools who just have a normal/casual dress code. So I don't think that's a very good example when it comes to this topic.

That is not true of the UK.

C

Chrissy77

Yes, that makes sense, iTORE. Church should be the place where everyone is accepted no matter what they look like or dress like. For someone who's poor, their best outfit might consist of a clean t-shirt and worn out jeans. We all can't afford expensive clothes, so we shouldn't judge what other people might be wearing. Then again, maybe some people have a special reason why they could not put on nicer clothes for church. We should never judge by appearances. Jesus was poor, so that fact alone should keep us from judging.

The only clincher is when we KNOW that somebody we know is dressing poorly for no good reason. Then its up to us to decide whether its appropriate to bring up the subject with that person or not. But I think that should be the only time we should allow judgment to enter our minds. :)
Yes, Zero, this is it exactly! This is what my pastor is trying to convey. Whatever YOUR best is that is what should be presented to God as a matter of respect. Present whatever your personal best is.

J

Jullianna

This has always been a very touchy subject for me. When I was growing up, my family expected me to wear a dress every Sunday, but as far as I knew, this was just something MY family did. It was never an expectation I had for other people. It still isn't.

At the age of 17 I was sitting behind two older ladies I truly looked up to. A young Vietnamese woman came into the church (who barely spoke English) wearing a halter top and short skirt. She was a new Christian and did not know "the rules". Rather than taking this precious young one in Christ under their wings and guiding her lovingly into more modest ways of dressing, they chose to snicker and gossip about her. This deeply hurt my heart and, along with other things, made me question so many things about "church" to the point that I stopped going for a time(which was a HUGE stupid mistake on my part). I was just a kid, but I knew something was not right here.

What if she had heard them and it had caused her to stumble? We are accountable to Him for hurting His little ones.

People are important. Souls are important. Since mankind didn't even need clothes until after the fall, I really don't think they are all that important to God.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SeatBelt

dress up, but do so for the right reasons.
dress down but do so for the right reasons.
don't dress with the intent of being a temptation, Ever.

The widow's two mites were worth more than anything the Pharisee could bring. Pay attention to how you dress your Heart.
Whatever you wear, be clothed in righteousness, and for cryin out loud, burn the jeggins. This goes for you, too iTore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
IMO the concept of dressing up for church is pretty subjective. What is dressing up from my standpoint is dressing down from someone else's. I typically wear a nice pair of jeans and a dress shirt to church which figuring that 5 or 6 days a week I work in construction (I'm a painter) is dressed up, but of course for a professional that would be dressing down.