drugs

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

wolfywolfs

My OPINION is :
I think alcohol should be illegal, but since it's legal, why not cannibis?

for me, I can't use any thing which might cause an addiction as I am an addict/alcoholic
If I use anything I will spending all my time either using or finding a way to use instead of living for God.
anything can ebcome an adiction you have two types one where your body tell you that you need it like nicotin (smoking) the other is physicoligical you think you need it or you must do it eg adreline junkies and world of warcraft players

W

wolfywolfs

as jim has not replyed ill just assume that hes lost intrest or lost for words so let this thread get back on topic now jim if you have anymore more to say just priv message me so this thread doesnt get flooded with a different debate

C

CoreyRyan

wolfywolfs i agree with you. Marijuana should be legal because there are no side effects and not a single person has died from it. I aint never seen nobody steal from their 70+ year old mother for pot money. I do have family that are crack addicts that have/do steal from their 70+ mother. If you wanna talk politics and say it should be legal you should look up more about the goverment and how the world/country is run by a cult. These cults come from Gnosticism which believe in withholding secrets and good things from people, they say something similiar to "shared magic is lost magic"... You know jesus said things against secrets and also said "Whats done in the dark will be brought to the light"....

Now what i DO NOT understand is why christians (and any people in general) think its okay to goto the doctor and get prescribed something like Hydrocodone which is man made and does have side effects such as

addiction, Anxiety; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; dry mouth; gas; headache; heartburn; increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; stomach pain or upset; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.

But its NOT okay to smoke pot which is grown naturally on a tree, cut off and allowed to dry, and smoked... it has no side effects whatsoever. But read up on the internet people theres been scientific studies that show that it can make you more healthy, why would god not want us to have something that makes us healthy?

its not like crack its not cooked with diesel and soap. Marijuana is perferctly unaddulterated by man.

Again like i said before I DO NOT SMOKE MARIJUANA, i did in the past. Now as a minister should i go and preach against something god made and be a liar? no i should not.

Now people i have met in real life have told me they needed to quit pot, because they are addicted to crack or other real "drugs".. I have seen these people indeed quit pot without any trouble, but why are they still using crack?

Genesis 1:29
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

W

wolfywolfs

wolfywolfs i agree with you. Marijuana should be legal because there are no side effects and not a single person has died from it. I aint never seen nobody steal from their 70+ year old mother for pot money. I do have family that are crack addicts that have/do steal from their 70+ mother. If you wanna talk politics and say it should be legal you should look up more about the goverment and how the world/country is run by a cult. These cults come from Gnosticism which believe in withholding secrets and good things from people, they say something similiar to "shared magic is lost magic"... You know jesus said things against secrets and also said "Whats done in the dark will be brought to the light"....

Now what i DO NOT understand is why christians (and any people in general) think its okay to goto the doctor and get prescribed something like Hydrocodone which is man made and does have side effects such as

addiction, Anxiety; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; dry mouth; gas; headache; heartburn; increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; stomach pain or upset; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.

But its NOT okay to smoke pot which is grown naturally on a tree, cut off and allowed to dry, and smoked... it has no side effects whatsoever. But read up on the internet people theres been scientific studies that show that it can make you more healthy, why would god not want us to have something that makes us healthy?

its not like crack its not cooked with diesel and soap. Marijuana is perferctly unaddulterated by man.

Again like i said before I DO NOT SMOKE MARIJUANA, i did in the past. Now as a minister should i go and preach against something god made and be a liar? no i should not.

Now people i have met in real life have told me they needed to quit pot, because they are addicted to crack or other real "drugs".. I have seen these people indeed quit pot without any trouble, but why are they still using crack?

Genesis 1:29
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
easy because pot isnt a gateway drug it doesnt make you want to do different drugs because different drugs do different things if i want an effect i get from weed i will smoke weed

the addiction side is more of mental one than a need with coke and some other drugs your body think it needs it to live thats why if you stop you get withdrawl symptoms with weed its more of a personal need your body doesnt need it but you think you do so quitting is alot easier compared to crack

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
In general, a big "no". I usually find most arguments in favour of drug legalisation to be immoral and uneconomical, especially in a nation that uses a public health system. I think this "legalise, tax, regulate" mantra has some serious holes in it that need to be addressed.

First off, it is frequently compared to the government sale/taxation of alcohol and cigarettes. If we sell these, why not all of the other drugs as well? I couldn't agree more with the comparison, but I think the conclusion is faulty. Taking Canada as a case study (I would suspect that there exists a similar condition in other countries with public systems such as the United Kingdom), one need only look at the negative taxation impact on our government.

Billions of dollars a year are spent on diseases caused by excessive alcohol consumption, not to mention the harm of cigarettes - provincial governments must now take tobacco companies to court due to the damage they inflict on the healthcare system (last I heard, the Ontario government is still seeking fifty billion dollars).

"Legalise, tax, regulate" simply makes no sense. Simply put, the end result is often that we end up paying far more in terms of healthcare dollars and social service funding on alcoholism than we could ever hope to make up for through the taxation of vice. To legalise and promote the sale of drugs in a similar fashion would have a potentially disastrous outcome to the same effect!

I don't think it holds up particularly well under from a perspective that considers the moral implications either. Let us, for argument's sake, consider a hypothetical government plan. After many years of fighting human trafficking, the government has come to the conclusion that the war on slavery cannot ever be won. Hence, they have devised a scheme by which the mistreatment of human beings will be taxed; modern slavery will surely solve all of our funding problems, no?

It probably would.

Drugs and alcohol generate social problems whether they are legal or not. There are entire swathes of the population (especially in northern Canada) lost to addiction, and literally entire communities remain impoverished generation after generation in a vicious cycle, due in no small part to drug addiction.

While I realise that there are those who aren't addicted to drugs and would use them on a casual basis - similar to my relationship with alcohol - I have no qualms about denying recreational use if it means the ability to consistently fight addiction elsewhere. We should not legitimise, through the government sale of drugs, the behaviour that destroys our nation's communities simply because nineteen-year-old Joe wants to get high at his party on the beach. Unless, of course, you'd like to be completely inconsistent (that wouldn't be abnormal for the government, though).

What these arguments in favour of legalisation propose is essentially a wicked tax that seeks to profit from the addiction and suffering of others. This is nothing short of the utterly perverse exploitation of marginalized sections of society.

I oppose the legalisation of drugs (particularly "hard" drugs) on the grounds that it will damage the nation's public institutions and result in the creation (whether intentional or not) of an inherently exploitative relationship between the government and the lower classes.

W

wolfywolfs

In general, a big "no". I usually find most arguments in favour of drug legalisation to be immoral and uneconomical, especially in a nation that uses a public health system. I think this "legalise, tax, regulate" mantra has some serious holes in it that need to be addressed.

First off, it is frequently compared to the government sale/taxation of alcohol and cigarettes. If we sell these, why not all of the other drugs as well? I couldn't agree more with the comparison, but I think the conclusion is faulty. Taking Canada as a case study (I would suspect that there exists a similar condition in other countries with public systems such as the United Kingdom), one need only look at the negative taxation impact on our government.

Billions of dollars a year are spent on diseases caused by excessive alcohol consumption, not to mention the harm of cigarettes - provincial governments must now take tobacco companies to court due to the damage they inflict on the healthcare system (last I heard, the Ontario government is still seeking fifty billion dollars).

"Legalise, tax, regulate" simply makes no sense. Simply put, the end result is often that we end up paying far more in terms of healthcare dollars and social service funding on alcoholism than we could ever hope to make up for through the taxation of vice. To legalise and promote the sale of drugs in a similar fashion would have a potentially disastrous outcome to the same effect!

I don't think it holds up particularly well under from a perspective that considers the moral implications either. Let us, for argument's sake, consider a hypothetical government plan. After many years of fighting human trafficking, the government has come to the conclusion that the war on slavery cannot ever be won. Hence, they have devised a scheme by which the mistreatment of human beings will be taxed; modern slavery will surely solve all of our funding problems, no?

It probably would.

Drugs and alcohol generate social problems whether they are legal or not. There are entire swathes of the population (especially in northern Canada) lost to addiction, and literally entire communities remain impoverished generation after generation in a vicious cycle, due in no small part to drug addiction.

While I realise that there are those who aren't addicted to drugs and would use them on a casual basis - similar to my relationship with alcohol - I have no qualms about denying recreational use if it means the ability to consistently fight addiction elsewhere. We should not legitimise, through the government sale of drugs, the behaviour that destroys our nation's communities simply because nineteen-year-old Joe wants to get high at his party on the beach. Unless, of course, you'd like to be completely inconsistent (that wouldn't be abnormal for the government, though).

What these arguments in favour of legalisation propose is essentially a wicked tax that seeks to profit from the addiction and suffering of others. This is nothing short of the utterly perverse exploitation of marginalized sections of society.

I oppose the legalisation of drugs (particularly "hard" drugs) on the grounds that it will damage the nation's public institutions and result in the creation (whether intentional or not) of an inherently exploitative relationship between the government and the lower classes.
i really disagree on useing sex trafficing as an example with that harm is being done to other with drugs your only harming yourself i agree that if is legalised the question of other drugs being leaglised which be put into the issue and they would need alot of regulation but lots of money is put in to stop drug gangs and abuses but but this into example would you want your money put into trying to stop drug gangs which we know doesnt work because mostly abuses are put into jails and not the dealers and because drugs are illegal theres a big profit in the crime world if you put that moeny into legalising drugs safly the gangs lose profit and have no reason to carry on the drug business which mean less drug related crime.

so would you rather have more crime or less crime

U

Ugly

you say it keeps people from god but what if one took drugs because that felt closer to god or felt like they understood it better so there take the drug to be with god than be away from him
actually it is a common occult practice to use drugs to make it easier to enter into spiritual things. so you have no control over which spirit will be the one you're opening yourself up to. its like playing spiritual roulette & thats not how God teaches us to live. also, i see no biblical support that God wants to connect to man through artificial means. God wants us to come to Him in prayer & worship, not with our minds & thoughts altered by substances in a false attempt to have a connection with God. Thats just a person justifying their actions.

also, many people say pot & 'soft drugs' are no big deal, but they are also called 'gateway drugs'. Most meth & crack addicts admit they started on pot & if it weren't for pot they probably wouldn't be an addict.

lastly, think, gardeners hate weeds. why? it chokes out all the other plants, & trys to take over & destroy the other plants. pot is a weed. now think, if weeds are destructive in nature, there could not have been weeds in the Garden of Eden, therefore weeds did not come about until after the fall & sin came upon the earth. therefore weeds are an effect of sin upon nature.

lastly, it is well known that the word for drugs & witchcraft are the same word in the bible. pharmekia, i believe, or something close to that. i find it ironic that they chose that 1 word to represent those 2 things, unless there was some connection.

so while one could say that there is no direct command against drugs in the bible, doesn't mean that its not there if you take a look.

just a few things to think about.

Aug 8, 2010
Most docs I've talked to about marijuana being a gateway drug agree that that is false.

The real gate way to other drugs are the drug dealers. They want more money, they introduce you to harder and addicting things.

A

AnandaHya

"it is well known that the word for drugs & witchcraft are the same word in the bible. pharmekia, i believe, or something close to that. i find it ironic that they chose that 1 word to represent those 2 things, unless there was some connection"

I always wondered about that....

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
i really disagree on useing sex trafficing as an example with that harm is being done to other with drugs your only harming yourself i agree that if is legalised the question of other drugs being leaglised which be put into the issue and they would need alot of regulation but lots of money is put in to stop drug gangs and abuses but but this into example would you want your money put into trying to stop drug gangs which we know doesnt work because mostly abuses are put into jails and not the dealers and because drugs are illegal theres a big profit in the crime world if you put that moeny into legalising drugs safly the gangs lose profit and have no reason to carry on the drug business which mean less drug related crime.

so would you rather have more crime or less crime

Drugs are about "only harming yourself"? Absolutely not. Does alcohol abuse only harm yourself? No. It's a destructive behaviour that affects you everyone around you. As for the sex trafficking example, that was to demonstrate the point that the government will essentially be taxing and attempting to make a profit from the addiction and misery of a marginalised group of people, giving the government coercive power through control over an addictive substance that people are desperate to get. This is inherently immoral.

As for the cost of fighting the "war on drugs", there remains the simple fact that in a nation with a public healthcare system, the cost that use of illicit drugs impose on medicare vastly outweighs the amount of taxpayer money spent on fighting the same drugs. In fact, in Canada, the portion of the budget allocated to fighting illicit drugs using legal methods is about 25% of what drugs cost us in terms of medical expenses associated with abuse.

What we spend through the healthcare system because of drugs is quadruple that which we spend on fighting them. It simply doesn't make economic sense to legalise drugs, as a significant increase in use would have a serious impact on public institutions.

As for marijuana, it's a legal gateway drug. When legalised (probably via a court ruling), it becomes a further argument for those seeking to legalise harder drugs. I'm assuming that most of us live in Common Law countries, so our legal system is essentially based on a slippery slope whereby if marijuana is legalised, there's a good chance that other drugs will follow (similar to the current arguments surrounding alcohol).

C

CoreyRyan

I have multiple family members that are addicted to crack and pain pills. They arent *addicted* to marijuana. They never stayed in a crackhouse for a week straight doing marijuana. They did crack. There is a difference between addictive drugs.

Marijuana grows and is smoked, not touched by man.
Cocaine, pillls, crack, etc are either cooked with diesel gas, soaps, chemicals, etc.

This is a difference between natural and unnatural. No i don't believe crack or pills should be legal, yet you can goto a pain clinic and say hey my back hurts and they will prescribe you a huge bottle of pills that are addicting.

Come on people you come to fight against marijuana why dont you fight against the Pain clinics and Pharmacies that give out addictive drugs?

Listen marijuana isnt a weed that chokes off and takes over other plants, sorry its not true.

Marijuana family Cannabaceae

Members of this family can be trees (e.g. Celtis), erect (e.g. Cannabis), or twining herbs (e.g. Humulus).

Hop (Humulus lupulus) is cultivated for its fruits which contain aromatic substances used in the production of beer

Both hops and cannabis contain antimicrobial substances. This is why hops extract is used in natural deodorants.[1] Cannabinoids in cannabis are effective at killing MRSA drug-resistant bacteria.[2]

God made a plant of sin that helps people? so then its a sin if you use it for medical purposes? Jesus spoke about taking your donkey out of a ditch on the sabbath, he said therefor it is lawfull to do GOOD on the sabbath.

S

See_KING_Truth

This is a touchy topic among Christians. Personally, I don't think that there is anything wrong with using cannabis. I am not currently a user, although I have been in the past. I would say the being sober and vigilant argument is invalid because marijuana does not alter the state of mind, at least it never did mine. I also do not believe that there are any addicting properties contained in marijuana. Weed also most likey not cause demons to come upon you and does make some people feel more of a connection to the spirit or God. I know this because you would never hear somebody oppressed or possessed by demons saying "Praise the Lord" or "God is Great" or anything showing glory to our Father and His Son.

S

See_KING_Truth

The Bible says:
Genesis 1:29 (King James Version)

29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

God created marijuana, obviously gave us permission to eat it. I can't say whether God intended it for smoking or not, but I do know that God created it and it was good.

Adrianv125

Jan 17, 2011
It is very scary to let something into your body that is not pleasing to God. NO ONE in this world needs anything to "FEEL" more of a connection to the spirit of God. In fact, you should look up the new age movement and see all the stuff they do and really should be careful with these "FEELINGS" of connectedness to "god" because in reality the experiences these people have are demonic, but they "FEEL" spiritually powerful and they claim to feel "connected" with God with only 20 minutes of mediation, not to mention pagan healers used plants to "CONNECT" to the spirit world. The ONLY way to be connected with the Holy Spirit of God is through the blood of Jesus Christ ALONE, NO OTHER WAY. He is the way the truth and the life, and no body goes to the father except through Him!!

Adrianv125

Jan 17, 2011
see-king-truth, He also created the poppy plant, and indeed it is an herb. I don't think you could eat it bro. Also remember when adam sinned a curse fell upon ALL creation

D

Dece81

Several biblical principles, tell me "no".

You cannot serve two Gods!
I don't understand this response?

I don't do drugs but doing drugs is serving another God? I'm not sure of the connection?

J

jimmydiggs

I don't understand this response?

I don't do drugs but doing drugs is serving another God? I'm not sure of the connection?
Matthew 6:24

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

You cannot serve both God and _____ You can fill the blank with anything that takes priority over God. Why do people use drugs? Some for medicine, no doubt. The context here though is narcotics, hallucinogens and such. These are saught after for Euphoria, to escape from reality. As Christians, we are to serve Christ, not the flesh.

EDIT: Also see post #12.
http://christianchat.com/christian-young-adults-forum/22215-drugs.html#post419597 <--- click for post 12

D

Dece81

Matthew 6:24

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

You cannot serve both God and _____ You can fill the blank with anything that takes priority over God. Why do people use drugs? Some for medicine, no doubt. The context here though is narcotics, hallucinogens and such. These are saught after for Euphoria, to escape from reality. As Christians, we are to serve Christ, not the flesh.

Gotcha, so being high=giving yourself up to something else

Makes sense, thanks.

S

See_KING_Truth

see-king-truth, He also created the poppy plant, and indeed it is an herb. I don't think you could eat it bro. Also remember when adam sinned a curse fell upon ALL creation
Not the plant but the seeds we eat. So actually we do eat the herb bearing seed. I do agree that smoking might affect your ability to witness, but that is why people do it in privacy. What about man made drugs? There are hundreds of millions of people in this world who are taking perscription pills, what do you think about that?! I would tend to think that God frowns upon that a much more than a natural substance which he created. I am not here to argue, I merely make statements which I do not always feel that I have to defend.