Faith in Ourselves, Through Good Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

newton3003

Feb 4, 2017
Can a person be justified by faith in himself rather than by faith in God as most of us understand this faith to be?

If someone you work with says that she doesn’t believe in God, yet does all the things that would justify a person’s faith in God, and in so doing, would she be welcomed into the Kingdom of God? And I’m not talking about a person who denies god’s existence or who follows other gods. Based on a reading of the scriptures, it seems that she would be as welcome as those who have faith in, and do, the works that justifies that faith.

According to Psalm 139:14, we are “fearfully and wonderfully made.” All of us are so made, including those who do not believe in God as many of us understand the concept. We have thus been created to do wondrous things. Such is God’s Grace. And we have 1 Corinthians 3:16 which says, “Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?” So, it would appear that a person who has faith in themselves invariably has faith in God, even if they don’t have that awareness. And such a person who does good works, then, justifies their faith.

Would a person who has faith but does not exhibit works to justify that faith be considered more righteous than a person who has faith in themselves and does good works? James 2:26 tells us, “…faith apart from works is dead.” To that, I tell you that faith without works is like an automobile without a battery…just as an automobile without a battery is dead, so faith without works is dead.

Jesus in Matthew 7: 21 says, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the ONE WHO DOES THE WILL OF MY FATHER who is in heaven.” What is the will of the father? Jesus sums it up in two great commandments, the first being to love God with all our heart, soul and mind and to love eachother as we do ourselves. If a person loves themselves and they do good works, would they not, by reason of 1 Corinthians 3:16, be loving God, whether they know it or not?

Jesus told his disciples to go and spread the word of God, so that whoever comes to believe in Him will be saved. I tell you that people who do good works and believe in themselves will be saved without receiving the Word of God. It is to others, then, who would be inclined to do evil and who do not have knowledge of God’s Word, that Jesus refers to.

Is it necessary to pray to God to show that we believe in Him? If a person who believes in themselves are at their wits end so the only course of action for many of us is to ask for God’s help, what would such a person do next to show faith in God? They would hope for the best. Under that scenario, is not that kind of hope the same as looking to God, considering that we all are temples of God? Wouldn’t such looking beyond ourselves for a good outlook, be tantamount to looking to God?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Can a person be justified by faith in himself rather than by faith in God as most of us understand this faith to be?
Neither. The believer is justified by the faith of Jesus Christ. We are to believe the gospel. No works whatsoever is tied to believing the testimony of Jesus Christ.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018

If someone you work with says that she doesn’t believe in God, yet does all the things that would justify a person’s faith in God, and in so doing, would she be welcomed into the Kingdom of God? And I’m not talking about a person who denies god’s existence or who follows other gods. Based on a reading of the scriptures, it seems that she would be as welcome as those who have faith in, and do, the works that justifies that faith.

According to Psalm 139:14, we are “fearfully and wonderfully made.” All of us are so made, including those who do not believe in God as many of us understand the concept. We have thus been created to do wondrous things. Such is God’s Grace. And we have 1 Corinthians 3:16 which says, “Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?” So, it would appear that a person who has faith in themselves invariably has faith in God, even if they don’t have that awareness. And such a person who does good works, then, justifies their faith.

Would a person who has faith but does not exhibit works to justify that faith be considered more righteous than a person who has faith in themselves and does good works? James 2:26 tells us, “…faith apart from works is dead.” To that, I tell you that faith without works is like an automobile without a battery…just as an automobile without a battery is dead, so faith without works is dead.

Jesus in Matthew 7: 21 says, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the ONE WHO DOES THE WILL OF MY FATHER who is in heaven.” What is the will of the father? Jesus sums it up in two great commandments, the first being to love God with all our heart, soul and mind and to love eachother as we do ourselves. If a person loves themselves and they do good works, would they not, by reason of 1 Corinthians 3:16, be loving God, whether they know it or not?

Jesus told his disciples to go and spread the word of God, so that whoever comes to believe in Him will be saved. I tell you that people who do good works and believe in themselves will be saved without receiving the Word of God. It is to others, then, who would be inclined to do evil and who do not have knowledge of God’s Word, that Jesus refers to.

Is it necessary to pray to God to show that we believe in Him? If a person who believes in themselves are at their wits end so the only course of action for many of us is to ask for God’s help, what would such a person do next to show faith in God? They would hope for the best. Under that scenario, is not that kind of hope the same as looking to God, considering that we all are temples of God? Wouldn’t such looking beyond ourselves for a good outlook, be tantamount to looking to God?

1 Corinthians 3:16 refers exclusively to the church of Jesus Christ. These are believers in the Lord Jesus Christ; born again Christians. Only believers in Christ are the temple of God.

The person you describe in your post who "believes in himself" but not in the Lord is cursed by God:
Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5

It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8

Put not your trust in ... the son of man, in whom there is no help. Psalm 146:3

The cultural pop-mantra "Believe in yourself" is the gospel of Hollywood, the gospel of psychology, and the gospel of false religion. The biblical gospel is "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved", Acts 16:31

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the
wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36 The person you describe in your post is lost and on her way to hell for eternity.

Read this passage carefully:

Luke 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

newton3003

Feb 4, 2017
> "Luke 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

***The Pharisee in the parable was not exalting himself over God in the sense of the word, he merely compared himself to others. That's what Jesus meant. As to the Pharisee addressing God, he was one of those who, Jesus would say, is merely saying "Lord, Lord."

newton3003

Feb 4, 2017
> "1 Corinthians 3:16 refers exclusively to the church of Jesus Christ. These are believers in the Lord Jesus Christ; born again Christians. Only believers in Christ are the temple of God."

***There is no mention is Jesus in this passage. And keep in mind Galatians 3:28.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
One's "good works" may build up his/her self-esteem, but they do nothing to justify him/her before God.

I put "good works" in quotes because both the works that people think justifies them and those rightly rooted in faith will build up one's self esteem; but in the latter case, they will be viewed humbly rather than vainly.

Sep 4, 2012
Nothing wrong with good works. Just depends on the motivation and purpose for doing them.