Fear of God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 29, 2012
For me it's more like I'm in AWE of God, meaning a deep respect of Him. I don't think I could truly love God if I feared Him. How could you not love and trust someone who gave His only Son so we could be saved? It's AWESOME!

K

Kefa52

This works for me.

Access to the Father is ours. But we still must tremble before our God. He is still holy. Our trembling is the tremor of awe and veneration, not the trembling of the coward or the pagan. We are to fear God not with a servile fear like that of a prisoner before his tormentor but as children who do not wish to displease their beloved Father. (RC Sproul)

Dec 5, 2012
I came across this in a chat

FEAR OF THE LORD
AWESOME GOD
"'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts!' they cried one to the other. 'All the earth is filled with His glory!' At the sound of that cry, the frame of the door shook and the house was filled with smoke." —Isaiah 6:3-4
The fear of the Lord is of supreme importance since it is the beginning of wisdom and possibly the beginning of most of the other gifts of the Spirit (Is 11:3). The fear of the Lord is an awe in God's presence. It means being in the throne room of God with all the angels and saints. It is sometimes called "piety". It is the last and most important of the gifts listed in Isaiah 11. We should receive this gift first, because we receive the other spiritual gifts most bountifully when we have this awareness of God's awesome presence and person. The fear of the Lord permeates all the spiritual gifts, not only preceding the reception of gifts but also deepening as the spiritual gifts are exercised. After Pentecost, "a reverent fear overtook them all, for many wonders and signs were performed by the apostles" (Acts 2:43). The early church made "steady progress in the fear of the Lord" (Acts 9:31). This is one of the few gifts that will last forever.
Prayer: Triune God, may I want to be in Your presence even more than I want to breathe.
Promise: "Study the generations long past and understand; has anyone hoped in the Lord and been disappointed? Has anyone persevered in His fear and been forsaken?" —Sirach 2:10
Praise: Peter fell in awe at the knees of Jesus after the miraculous catch of fish (Lk 5:8).

Jun 24, 2012
This is a subject which I always seem to get random answers. I believe I almost understand this fear but I am still praying for knowledge.

For example:

Is it gut wrenching teeth grinding fear?
Is it more out of respect?
Is it fear of a fire inferno?
Should I not fear because He is all forgiving?
Is it fear of _____:(_______?

I would like to hear the way you think.

Thank You!
God Bless![/
To me it not just fear i get nervous because he is going to judge me and all of us but i fear that i have upset God and made him angry also nervous because i don't know where my soul is going to go heaven or hell and i am teffified of hearing it if it is said, your name is not in the book the fear of that to me is that there is no words to explain that fear and the fear of knowing how bad you have upset God and how hurt God would be as he loves as all.

Jan 4, 2013
Allow me to hold the light for a moment. Do you fear me? Now your answer is in the light.

C

CDavid

This is a subject which I always seem to get random answers. I believe I almost understand this fear but I am still praying for knowledge.

For example:

Is it gut wrenching teeth grinding fear?
Is it more out of respect?
Is it fear of a fire inferno?
Should I not fear because He is all forgiving?
Is it fear of _____:(_______?

I would like to hear the way you think.

Thank You!
God Bless!
One day, not long after the Lord saved me, I was doing electrical work on parking lot lights at a Tulsa library. These light fixtures were 48ft above grade. It was very windy that day. It was so windy that, when I got high enough to do the work, a sense of terror came over me. I came back down. My co-worker on this job was a fellow Christian. I told him, I can't do this today. I said, that's the way I felt right before God saved me. When I realized I was lost, and I was already falling into the bottomless pit, there was a moment of terror, a lot like what I felt being that high in a man lift, with all that wind shifting me around. Charlie, my co-worker, said that was a powerful testimony.

I have experienced the words of verse 2 of the song "Amazing Grace" T'is grace that taught my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved Because of Gods grace his Holy Spirit convicted me, and when I saw the abyss I was stricken with terror. Then the Grace of God reached out and caught me; relieving all my fear. It's not until after salvation, that I could experience a reverent fear, which is the awe, the honor, the loving gratitude and respect we owe to God our Father.

I'm a firm believer that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of understanding and wisdom. I experienced the fear of the Lord; of His terrible wrath, and I wised up.

This the first opportunity I've had to share this store. I feel truly blessed to have it.

Bless you all

S

SPUZIT

If anyone is patient to read this, I think my idea of a holy fear of God will show thru.
When I was young whenever as kids will do get into trouble, if it was a problem my Ema " mother" could Handel the trust me she handeled the problems us kids would get into, but when a big problem happened, she would place us into our bedroom & tell us to wait for pappa to come home.
Now this was real fear. I remember thinking about the wrong I'd done, & the day would pass so slowly it seemed forever for my pappa to come home.
On one such day when he returned & opened my bedroom door, I asked him how he did that. He then of course ask how he did what.I said, how is it I feel my troubles so deeply that I feel so gulity even befor you return home i feel punnished, I don't even want to be seen by you. Then by the time you return home pappa I have felt I have already been punished by you from my guilt alone. My pappa then hugest me & explained this is the fear of God that is showing me my right & wrongs, & the convictions of my sins. I did not get my spanking or lecture or extra chores that day, but I learned a great lesson my pappa passed on from God to me.
I know I have a hard time saying correct English wording to people's yet if even one person go away from my post understanding my own deffinition of the" fear of God"then the sharing was fruitful.

S

SPUZIT

Read my own post,, forgot to tell main point.. please forgive me... the point is your own fear & respect of what you know is what God wants our choices to be, also known as fear of God, helps us to obey & become more actively obeident to our God.