Free Will: seems nonexistent

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

apples

Can anyone explain to me how free will exists? I see no evidence.

U

Ugly

Did you make a decision to follow Christ? Whether you say yes or no, you had the free will to decide. Free will isn't about 'choice without consequence'.
Would be much easier if you elaborate more on your viewpoint. I don't see how you CAN'T see that we have free will. So if you don't explain yourselves it makes it harder to explain as there's no point of understanding where you're coming from.

A

apples

I apologize.

There are virtually infinite influences around each person, pulling him/her into a certain path, a trajectory of the life/self. In microsociology, it was stated that people are defined by their social contexts. I didn't choose to believe in God; I just can't believe anything else (and I think that's a good thing). I view humans as marionettes with their strings tangled; when the wind blows, everyone pulls on one another in involuntary directions.

I seem to think that neurochemicals cause people to do what they do. Sociopaths have no consciences because (maybe) their brains are just like that. Neurochemicals just make decisions. Catatonic schizophrenics don't choose to be the way they are, and neither do I. I cannot speak for sane people, however, because the only time my life is without disorder is when I take my pills and boost my mood with physical training. There's a whole dopaminergic society fluctuating in my brain. Ultimately, willpower and motivation to "decide" things roots from the very chemistry of the brain (the internal influences) and the outside influences.

The only Christian kids I knew bullied me throughout my childhood and early high school. My dissociation with the Christian community has linearly increased at a slow rate starting from an early age. This might be why I'm such a nihilist about the world (which is good, because one should not love worldly things). However, I see no meaning or purpose to my actions, because I feel no responsibility for making decisions. When I'm bad, I hate my existence, and when I'm good, I give myself no credit. When I help people, my marionette strings had simply been moved or flicked to a certain frequency that causes the physical resonance of what I see to be fate. I only see strings and chemicals. I see Newton's Third Law in everything, in every string.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
You might think you're a puppet but you're not. God gave us a brain so we can make wise decisions. If you are suffering from some psychological issues, that's one thing, but if there is no psychological issue then you simply need to begin exercising your right to make conscious, sound decisions. We are not puppets, but we do have this primitive being inside of us that gives us our animalistic nature. It is our ability to think through things and make wise decisions which makes humans different. That is our freewill...our knowledge of good and bad, and our ability to deny the primitive response in favor of a response that will result in a positive outcome instead.

God bless.

G

Grey

There is both Free will and predestination, for instance, you may raise your hand right now, and you are choosing to do so and yet God knew you would do it.

A

apples

Alright, I believe ya brothas. :D
When I posted those things yesterday, I was just speaking from cognitive distortions. I really gotta start my meds again lol.
Thanks for the responses; I appreciate them.

W

worldlover

free will is about freedom to choose just like what you did when you asked us :)