Freedom

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BroCCMan

May 18, 2021
Consider the word "freedom." The meanings of "freedom" are certainly various depending on the context in which the word is applied. Each of us has freedoms, or liberties, of different types, even though we may not have thought of them very often.

With all of that being said, what do you think of as being your most valuable freedom, whether it be physical, emotional, or spiritual?

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Hi BroCCMan, the first thing that came to mind was freedom from the power of sin (1 Peter 2:16; Romans 6:14). But, I'm also grateful for the freedoms I have living in a democratic country.

I suppose also that with freedom comes responsibility..in both cases.

BroCCMan

May 18, 2021
Hi BroCCMan, the first thing that came to mind was freedom from the power of sin (1 Peter 2:16; Romans 6:14). But, I'm also grateful for the freedoms I have living in a democratic country.

I suppose also that with freedom comes responsibility..in both cases.
Phil, I agree with your assessment that with freedom comes responsibility.

T

TheIndianGirl

Consider the word "freedom." The meanings of "freedom" are certainly various depending on the context in which the word is applied. Each of us has freedoms, or liberties, of different types, even though we may not have thought of them very often.

With all of that being said, what do you think of as being your most valuable freedom, whether it be physical, emotional, or spiritual?
Freedom from lust.

What is your most valuable freedom? You didn't respond.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The freedom I value most highly is the freedom to make my own decisions regardless of the opinions of those around me.

This does not mean I disregard out of hand the opinions of those around me. Indeed I am really big on learning from the experience of others, mostly because I will never have the time in one short life to make all the mistakes myself. But I am free to select the advice I accept as valid, disregard the advice that does not agree with what I have observed is right, and decide what works best for me in life.

This applies to everything from the brand of smartphone I use, shoes, food, to politics and religion.

What makes me value this freedom so highly is because some people seem to not even notice they have it. They blindly follow what everybody around them does. It's either iPhone or samsung, they never consider alternatives that might fit in their specific needs better. It's either Republican or Democrat...

BroCCMan

May 18, 2021
The Indian Girl, you make a good point. It is pretty presumptuous of me to ask an opinion question without giving my own opinion. Sorry about that. LOL!

But seriously, the liberty I value the most is the freedom to seek my own answers rather than having to believe what I am told to believe. I am fully aware that right is right and wrong is wrong based on God's standard of righteousness, but He never tells me that I have to believe it. As a side note, I have enough life experience walking with the Lord that I have witnessed multitudes of His truths proven to be so, but Father God doesn't REQUIRE me to believe it, rather He gives me the liberty to seek truth myself.

That may sound kind of twisted in how I described it, but the base of that is this: I hold the liberty to seek my own answers as most valuable.

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020
When i think of freedom I think of My Freedom in Christ because without Him I am still slave to sin... 😇❤

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
hmm
I dont really have as much physical freedom as I would like eg. I cant just fly anywhere I want as I dont have wings. Im a terrible swimmer. But walking im quite fine with that!

emotional freedom. Ive experienced highs and lows but I do value not suffering the mood swings I used to suffer from. Jesus set me free from a lot of emotional trauma.

spirtual freedom...I do get to worship the Lord in the way that I like, I supoose living in a majority christian country that is a freedom that I would not have if say it was a muslim or hindu or atheist majority country. And I can go to any church and fellowship with whoever the Lord leads me to so thats a plus.
I know some church fellowships and denoms CAN be spiritually abusive though, though thankfully I have not joined any cult like sect, though some can be quite rigid.

One that hasnt been mentioned is financial freedom, this is a blessing as to be in debt is not a good situation to be in.

L

Live4Him

Definitely freedom from sin which resulted in me becoming a servant or slave to righteousness and my Master, Jesus Christ.

Romans chapter 6

[16] Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
[17] But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
[18] Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
[19] I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
[20] For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
[21] What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
[22] But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

"For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant." (I Corinthians 7:22)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
One that hasnt been mentioned is financial freedom, this is a blessing as to be in debt is not a good situation to be in.
That also. Buying stuff on credit means I'm buying stuff with money I haven't yet earned, plus a bit more money I haven't yet earned for interest, which makes me a voluntary indentured servant to the company who loaned me the money.