Gate

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
What’s all this about?:

[13] "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
[14] For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.” Matt 7:13-14 RSV

Nov 22, 2015
Jesus Himself is the gate.

Many - even those that are Christians still try to live by their own way of doing things and what they get life from and not relying on what Christ has already done.

These will find their way hard and they will bring destruction of some sort unto them even though they are eternally saved by the blood of Christ - if Christ is in them to begin with.

Only relying on Christ Himself will bring true life in manifestation while we are on this earth.

Then there are those that don't know Christ at all and are trying to live by their "goodness" but only the righteousness of Christ is what counts when standing before God the Father.

Dec 19, 2009
Jesus Himself is the gate.

Many - even those that are Christians still try to live by their own way of doing things and what they get life from and not relying on what Christ has already done.

These will find their way hard and they will bring destruction of some sort unto them even though they are eternally saved by the blood of Christ - if Christ is in them to begin with.

Only relying on Christ Himself will bring true life in manifestation while we are on this earth.

Then there are those that don't know Christ at all and are trying to live by their "goodness" but only the righteousness of Christ is what counts when standing before God the Father.
But can we simply this? Jesus is the gate. Does that mean we can pass through simply by being his friend, or do we have to do things his way?

Nov 22, 2015
But can we simply this? Jesus is the gate. Does that mean we can pass through simply by being his friend, or do we have to do things his way?
The good news which is the gospel is simple. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved. This means to believe that He has died and risen from the dead so that we too could have newness of life and receive the abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness. Rom. 5:17

Acts 16:30-31 (NASB)
[SUP]30 [/SUP] and after he brought them out, he said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

[SUP]31 [/SUP] They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."

Learning how to live by His life in us is all about the renewing of the mind and this will determine how our life is lived while we are on this earth. We can be in the worst situation in the natural but be at complete peace and full of joy because of His life in us - if we are trusting in Him alone.

notbythesword

Apr 28, 2015
The Bible does mention that the way to life is difficult. I’ve often wondered myself, what exactly constitutes as the lawlessness that Jesus is speaking of in Matthew 7:23?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
There is a way that seems right to man but the end thereof is death.

The narrow gate is the gate defined by the word of God which leads to the cross and blood of the Savior. No other way to enter eternal life. Gods way or no way.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Nov 22, 2015
The Bible does mention that the way to life is difficult. I’ve often wondered myself, what exactly constitutes as the lawlessness that Jesus is speaking of in Matthew 7:23?

The way to life is difficult is because you must die in order to find life. Gal. 2:20 & Col. 3:3

Lawlessness is seeking to replace God and His activity in Christ with our own activity - no matter how good it appears to be on the outside.

When we start to live conscious of the Lord as our righteousness, we will begin to manifest His life of righteousness that is already in us outwardly. From the inside out, genuine good works, obedience, holiness and love will flow unabated out of an authentic relationship with our loving heavenly Father.

There is a prescribed order of victory in the New Covenant. Until the believer sees his death on the cross with Jesus, and be raised from the dead with Christ - he cannot experience Christ as his life as a new man in Christ. - the new creation.

Dec 19, 2009
There are people, motivated by pride, who maneuver themselves into positions of leadership in the church, without caring whether or not they are doing the Lord's will. They will tell you they love the Lord, but their actions say otherwise.

Dec 12, 2013
Jesus is the true and living way...NO man comes unto the Father but by him......any other attempted door = lost for eternity.....

Dec 19, 2009
There is a way that seems right to man but the end thereof is death.

The narrow gate is the gate defined by the word of God which leads to the cross and blood of the Savior. No other way to enter eternal life. Gods way or no way.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I had to read this twice. I think it's the first time we've agreed on something.

Dec 19, 2009
Jesus is the true and living way...NO man comes unto the Father but by him......any other attempted door = lost for eternity.....
Well, when we don't do things his way, we get into trouble. The Lord will try to make us understand that so we'll come back to him. Over and over again (because we all go astray a lot, don't we?).

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
One gate is narrow and difficult, while the other is wide and easy to arrive at.

[h=1]Matthew 7:13-14New International Version (NIV)[/h][FONT=&quot]13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

[/FONT]

[h=1]Matthew 7:13-14Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)[/h][FONT=&quot]13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the road is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who go through it. 14 How narrow is the gate and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it.

[/FONT]

[h=1]Matthew 7:13-14The Message (MSG)[/h][h=3]Being and Doing[/h][FONT=&quot]13-14 “Don’t look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easygoing formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don’t fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life—to God!—is vigorous and requires total attention.

The life of a disciple will be filled with trials both spiritually and physically, we will be mocked, laughed at, some imprisoned as Paul was, and some killed as almost all of the apostles. Of course, life without Christ will still have hard times but stepping out against the world, it is promised you will face opposition to the truth. This is the price we must all examine before building upon this foundation. We must all remember the truth will be unpopular and very well could bring you harm. The road to life will not be easy but we have the key to endure it. So why does Jesus say his yoke is easy and his burden is light? Lets look at the scripture.

[/FONT]

[h=1]Matthew 11:29-30New International Version (NIV)[/h][FONT=&quot]29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

[/FONT]

[h=1]Matthew 11:29-30The Message (MSG)[/h][FONT=&quot]28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Accept Jesus and surrender to him, walk and do as we see how Jesus lived and breathed. God will not force us but if we only surrender to learn in renewing of our mind, we will learn to live freely and lightly in the midst of trials and tribulations. This is the key to a faithful living. Example in scripture listed below. Paul faced many persecutions....

[/FONT]

[h=1]2 Corinthians 11:23-30Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)[/h][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]23 Are they servants of Christ?
I’m talking like a madman—I’m a better one:
with far more labors,
many more imprisonments,
far worse beatings, near death[a] many times.
24 Five times I received 39 lashes from Jews.
25 Three times I was beaten with rods by the Romans.
Once I was stoned by my enemies.[b]
Three times I was shipwrecked.
I have spent a night and a day
in the open sea.
26 On frequent journeys, I faced
dangers from rivers,
dangers from robbers,
dangers from my own people,
dangers from the Gentiles,
dangers in the city,
dangers in the open country,
dangers on the sea,
and dangers among false brothers;
27 labor and hardship,
many sleepless nights, hunger and thirst,
often without food, cold, and lacking clothing.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]28 Not to mention[c] other things, there is the daily pressure on me: my care for all the churches. 29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble, and I do not burn with indignation? 30 If boasting is necessary, I will boast about my weaknesses.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[h=1]Philippians 1:12-14New International Version (NIV)[/h][h=3]Paul’s Chains Advance the Gospel[/h][FONT=&quot]12 Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters,[a] that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. 13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard[b] and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. 14 And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear.

Paul is the number one example in scripture of one who really was persecuted for Christ. And ultimately led to his beheading. The scripture above is the example of faith that comes from Paul's reliance on God in the midst of traveling this difficult road. Was this the yoke Jesus had in mind? I do not believe so. I believe the yoke Jesus had in mind was for those in Christ will have the best possible aka user manual for all of life. Paul in the midst of these trials was more worried for the lost, the hurt, the poor, his companions, the church, and ultimately Gods will. Below in one of his letters written in prison Paul says

[/FONT]

[h=1]Philippians 1:20-26New International Version (NIV)[/h][FONT=&quot]20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By this Paul's faith and his complete surrender to Christ. Paul learned to live freely and lightly.”
Paul no longer saw worldly life but a true life that only Jesus can give. This hope, peace, faith and the will to save others gave him the perseverance he needed. [/FONT]

[h=1]Romans 5:2-4New International Version (NIV)[/h][FONT=&quot]2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we[a] boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we[b] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope.

[/FONT]

[h=1]Hebrews 12:1New International Version (NIV)[/h][FONT=&quot]12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,

The road will be hard but for all who remain or live in Christ. Christ will give you all you need to accomplish his will. Surrender and reliance in the guidance of Christ. And the narrow gate you shall find. [/FONT]

[h=1]John 15:4New International Version (NIV)[/h][FONT=&quot]4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
[/FONT]

[h=1]John 15:4The Message (MSG)[/h][FONT=&quot]4 “Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you. In the same way that a branch can’t bear grapes by itself but only by being joined to the vine, you can’t bear fruit unless you are joined with me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Mar 28, 2016
What’s all this about?:

[13] "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
[14] For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.” Matt 7:13-14 RSV
I would think first and foremost we should compare the spiritual not seen to the same or faith to faith….and not that seen to that seen (no faith)

In the construction of the bride of Christ the church in order to describe her she is represented as many lively stones that make up the spiritual, not seen, house of God as the temple thereof.

Because God is no respecter of nations the saints on the other side of the first century reformation (the veil being rent) are typified as gates by which we enter in to fellowship with the Spirit of Christ. Having reformed the outward temporal as to its temporal purpose the saints on this side of the first century reformation they are described in respect to the word apostle as a foundation or pillar which the word apostle simply means sent ones .Abraham, Moses and other prophets would be considered apostles in the same way . Today Christians as apostles are sent out two by two seeing the temple no longer needs to be used . We are the temple made of Jews and Gentiles alike. One bride, one gospel, one eternal church

Without parables Christ spoke not

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.(Christ)

Rev 21:9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.Rev 21:10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,Rev 21:11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
Rev 21:12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
Rev 21:13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
Rev 21:14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Last edited:
U

UnderGrace

What’s all this about?:

When I read this passage it reminds of how hard it is for people to have all their needs met by Jesus, they’re stuck outside trying to clean themselves.

Instead of beholding the Lamb, they are beholding themselves.

Instead of focusing on Christ and His perfections, they are distracted by themselves and their imperfections.

People are just slow to believe the Good News, but ultimately it is about some part of self getting in the way!