Generalization

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Locoponydirtman

One of them, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.” This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,
Titus 1:12‭-‬13 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/tit.1.12-13.NKJV

"This testimony is true." Paul said this, and followed up with "therefore sharply rebuke them."

Know that a negative report about a group of people is true and needs corrected, does not make one a racist.

Racist is such a glib unintellegent accusation that i fully disregard all who use it as such.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Biblical generalization is an indirect parallel deduction that expresses a UNIVERSAL, ETERNAL TRUTH that holds true across the board in all cases and across the entire body of scripture. These are eternal truths obtained from ideas not specifically expressed in the language of the text but are none-the-less true.
Yes. One should call then universal truth, such as all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, and there is none righteous, no not one. These are divine revelations.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I'm neither a psychologist nor philosopher so I'll sit this one out.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Yes. One should call then universal truth, such as all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, and there is none righteous, no not one. These are divine revelations.
Let me give you an example of what I am talking about.

When we read the story of Abraham and Sariah, we discover that because of certain physiological conditions, they were unable to have children. They were too old and Sariah was baron. Despite these glaring limitations, God promised to give them a son. There are many generalizations one can glean from this example, but let me just give you two that immediately stand out.

One general principle that emerges from this story is that material conditions do not determine the outcome. When it comes to God, material circumstances and the human condition are never determinate. Only the will of God is determinate. Since determinacy does not rest in the human condition, things like age, physiology, and infertility become irrelevant factors for producing a child. While the text never actually states this in so many words, this is a truth that clearly emerges from the story. Material conditions are not determinate. Only the will of God is determinate.

Another good general principle is that God stands over and above time, physics, and physiology. These general principles are arrived at through “parallel deduction.” These are principles that emerge from a reading of the text without being expressly stated by the language of the text.

Nowhere in the text does it state that God alone is determinate or that God stands over and above time, physics, and physiology. These are truths that are self-evident in the narrative and prove to hold true throughout the entire body of scripture.

We find many examples of generalization in scripture. Abraham applied generalization to God’s command to sacrifice Isaac. In so doing, he arrived at an eternal truth that was never directly stated by the Lord. Abraham concluded that God was able to raise Isaac from the dead. Where did Abraham get such an illogical idea? How could he have possibly come to this conclusion? He did it by generalizing to the promise. “In Isaac your seed shall be called.”

So, we can see from scripture itself that generalization is a process of which God approves for analyzing the word of God. More than that, it is a process that reveals true faith. God did not promise to raise Isaac from the dead, this was a truth Abraham deduced by generalizing from the promise. We learn in Hebrews, 11:17-19 that, because of this God called him faithful.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
How would you explain what a generalization is to someone who was unfamiliar with the idea, beyond merely offering them the standard lexical definition.
How can someone not be familiar with the concept of generalization?
Even a tribe in the forest isolated from civilization, is aware of this concept.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
We find many examples of generalization in scripture. Abraham applied generalization to God’s command to sacrifice Isaac. In so doing, he arrived at an eternal truth that was never directly stated by the Lord. Abraham concluded that God was able to raise Isaac from the dead. Where did Abraham get such an illogical idea? How could he have possibly come to this conclusion? He did it by generalizing to the promise. “In Isaac your seed shall be called.”
Hebrews 11: 17-9 elaborates on Abraham's reasoning of how God would fulfill His promises to him through Isaac even though God asked him to offer up Isaac on the altar, which tells us that Abraham wholeheartedly intended to drive the ceremonial dagger straight into Isaac's heart, or perhaps clean across his throat. So, Abraham's hypothesis was, "If 'In Isaac your seed shall be called even if I offer him up on the altar, then God can raise the dead." While that is an inference, I'm not sure that it qualifies as a generalization. However, there is a generalization implied in there which would be, "if God said it, then it is true," according to the generalization that God cannot lie and a fallacious generalization from that would be that (all) gods cannot lie. :unsure:

However, I wonder at the significance that, when asked, "father, where is the lamb for the sacrifice," Abraham answered, "God will provide for Himself the lamb for the sacrifice, my son." It seems to me to be revealing another facet of Abraham's faith, his consideration of the possibility that God might spare Isaac, which indeed we know by hindsight to be true, but Abraham could not have known for certain. Abraham just believed God as One "full of grace and truth" with sufficient power come what may.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
A question of interest to all the psychologists and philosophers among us.
How would you explain what a generalization is?
to make a specific observation, then apply that to things not yet specifically observed

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Perhaps. I have considered that possibility, and that is why I used the word "seemingly" in my post. At the same time, however, Paul did say that we shall not all sleep or die.
Paul did say that we shall not all 'sleep' - he did not say that we shall all not 'die'.

And, there is a difference - 'sleep' is the after-death state-of-being that one enters into after they 'die'.

The resurrection is the exception; everything else is the rule...

At the resurrection, those who are still alive and "changed" therefore 'die' but do not 'sleep' - up until that point in time, all who 'die' also 'sleep'.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Paul did say that we shall not all 'sleep' - he did not say that we shall all not 'die'.
Since Paul and Christ used the metaphor of "sleep" for death, this is hilarious!