Have You Considered This About Marriage

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

BeeD

Are you planning to be divorced? or just finding "biblical" reasons to back it up?

If you would carefully read the other replies that I have made to the other people that I have replied to that posted you will see that I have stated at least two or three times why I have made this post....your question has been answered.

B

BeeD

Divorce men cannot minister as pastors in a church remarried or not.
Roger
Just curious on your thought on this. With the statement you made above....Say a man is a married Pastor, then later he gets divorced. Do you think he should step down from being a Pastor ?
Another question.....We had two different Pastors come to our church on two separate occasions over a space of a few months. Both of the Pastors said they quit their jobs to be able to serve God full time and their wives are totally supporting the house financially. What is your take on that ? I already have my take on this one, just want to hear yours.

D

dabodab

You put that in replying to statement that I put that said, "But as Jesus says, "They confess me with their mouths but in their works they deny me."

You are correct but that wasn't the one I was attempting to remember, where Jesus himself was saying something to this effect. I looked it up and found the one I was thinking of. (Matthew 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.") I knew Jesus was the one who said this.
Okay correction noted!

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
But you still made a covenant before God, remember Joshua when he made a covenant with the Gibeonites even though they discovered they where deceived by them, he still had to uphold the covenant lest the wrath of God fell upon them. Joshua 9.
I heard a testimony of this guy who God showed him that scripture when he was thinking of divorcing his wife who deceived him into marriage by saying she was pregnant when she wasn't - amazing wisdom on Gods behalf.

A bad mistake in not enquiring of God does not justify you breaking a covenant. full stop.

B

Bate

In the first place, what I see here is that, we shouldn't at times misinterpret and make the word of God (seem to) mean what it actually doesn't mean in certain contexts!
Still I agree that one wouldn't really stay in a kind of marriage where she's really inflicted with painnnnnn..... (You'd even ask if there's no other better purpose to live your life???). But since the bible gives no conclusion between ''remarriage'' after a believer and non-believer's relationship, I can't say that ''get remarried!''
Be watchful and take caution!

Here I continue to agree with dabodab to a certain extent too; ''Please, don't determine that someone isn't a Christian because they are behaving badly.''

presidente

May 29, 2013
But you still made a covenant before God, remember Joshua when he made a covenant with the Gibeonites even though they discovered they where deceived by them, he still had to uphold the covenant lest the wrath of God fell upon them. Joshua 9.
I heard a testimony of this guy who God showed him that scripture when he was thinking of divorcing his wife who deceived him into marriage by saying she was pregnant when she wasn't - amazing wisdom on Gods behalf.

A bad mistake in not enquiring of God does not justify you breaking a covenant. full stop.

That's a good verse to show someone for that scenario. Some people think if they made a stupid decision when they decided to marry, that it must have been wrong for them to marry. It seems like our culture puts little value on keeping vows and promises, sadly. We've lost our honor culture in the US over the decades.

Also, if a woman deceives a man into marrying her by feigning pregnancy, I'd say there is a pretty good chance that the man had slept with the woman or that the man doesn't know much about biology.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Just curious on your thought on this. With the statement you made above....Say a man is a married Pastor, then later he gets divorced. Do you think he should step down from being a Pastor ?

I think I would if I were in that situation. But I don't think someone has to meet all the qualifications of an overseer to minister in his gift, e.g. speak or teach in church.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Honestly, the OP sounds like a justification someone could try to use for divorce when they are looking for one.

Divorces can be nasty. And some people get divorced or consider it after going through a period of arguing with their spouse. I wonder how many couples are in a situation where both the husband and wife think the other is a child of he devil, or close to it. I know one guy who referred to his ex-wife as the devil or Satan. I don't know what she thought of him.

It seems like people like to justify divorce and can really stretch the Bible to do it. Paul, in a section he says is himself and not the Lord saying it, says that if the unbeliever departs, let him depart. So some Christians will take that verse, the part that it doesn't say is from the Lord, and stretch it a bit and say, "Well, she departed from me in her heart a long time ago." So instead of her actually departing like the text says, he argues to himself that she 'departed' in her heart. And if she claims to be a believer, he can reason to himself, "If she were a real Christian, she wouldn't talk to me that way, so she must be a plant from the devil."

I've heard or read this idea before, that a marriage that has problems X, Y, Z that cause suffering 'can't glorify God.' When I hear people stay that, I find it disturbing. Why would they think God can't be glorified if they are suffering or just having a rough time in their marriage. Jesus told Peter by what death He would glorify God. That's how the Gospel of John put it, 'glorify God.' What happened to Peter? Tradition says he was crucified upside down. If that can glorify God, can't you glorify God in the midst of suffering in marriage? If you are suffering because your spouse is hard to put up with, can't you still overcome and glorify God by standing firm and loving the person? You can glorify God by suffering well, righteously for Christ sake. Joseph's brothers through him in the pit, sold him as a slave, and tricked his daddy into thinking he was dead. Yet Joseph said what they meant for evil, God meant for good.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
That's a good verse to show someone for that scenario. Some people think if they made a stupid decision when they decided to marry, that it must have been wrong for them to marry. It seems like our culture puts little value on keeping vows and promises, sadly. We've lost our honor culture in the US over the decades.

Also, if a woman deceives a man into marrying her by feigning pregnancy, I'd say there is a pretty good chance that the man had slept with the woman or that the man doesn't know much about biology.
Yes well they both did stuff up and he admitted that he took advantage of her. Over their 9 month separation he sought much counsel on what to do and God ultimately led him to that scripture so he decided to move back with her.
Its encouraging and wonderful to see that God still is with us (obviously lol) when we repent and turn back to Him and He is willing to help, because sometimes our own guilt can condemn us so much or even other brothers.

That's right then she had to lie again and tell him the baby miscarried because obviously there was no baby there. About a year later after marriage she told him the truth.