How did Jesus' temporary punishment deliver me from an eternal punishment?

• Thread starter OwenHeidenreich
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
I can't find any hebrew or greek scripture to back that up
Acts 2:24
23Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, you have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24Whom God has raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be held of it

Acts 17:31
For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead."

Matthew 10:15
Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

M

MidniteWelder

my own conscience gets in the way :\
Understandable, thats usually what gets in the way for all of us.
Remember, we rely not on our own understanding

Perhaps this scripture from Romans 9 will also help in understanding God more.

14What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15For he says to Moses,“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”[SUP]f[/SUP]

16It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”[SUP]g[/SUP] 18Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

As well as what Zone mentioned, that it was not possible that he should be held of it.
What Jesus did was a noble thing, worthy of our praise
Even though he was worthy of our praise before hand, I believe what you are being shown is understanding God's mercy out of love when we appreciate what he has done for us in our place.

Last edited:

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
It's not so much the language as the finite understanding of ours, that is where the Holy Spirit is the mortar filling in the gaps between the bricks of His Word and even still we come short in fully understanding things eternal.

Acts 2:24 as posted above is a great start.

Last edited:

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
The punishment for Christ was never meant to be eternal. It was the fact that he, the Righteous One, was dying for the unrighteous, that we might not have to suffer separation from God.

"For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, " 1 Peter 3:18

"We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. [SUP]10 [/SUP]For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God." Romans 6:9-10

"For Christ has entered, not into holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true things, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf. [SUP]25 [/SUP]Nor was it to offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters the holy places every year with blood not his own, [SUP]26 [/SUP]for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. [SUP]27 [/SUP]And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, [SUP]28 [/SUP]so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerlywaiting for him." Hebrews 9:24-28

Atonement

The Atonement of Christ is the sacrificial work of Jesus for sinners. In his death on the cross, Christ atoned for the sins of humanity such that God is satisfied and reconciliation is accomplished for all who will be redeemed. The obedience and death of Christ on behalf of sinners is the ground of redemption.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
There goes the first shot over the starboard!!
no real grasp of WHO it is we had offended. and WHAT HE REALLY IS

HOLY

HOLY

HOLY

Isaiah 6:1
In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple.

John 12:41
Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus' glory and spoke about him.

if annihilationism is true, God could have done, and could do that at any time.
there's going to be JUSTICE for the horrendous crimes committed.

eternal justice.

Matthew 16:15
He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

the gift is FREE!

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
The scripture is clear that the payment for sin is eternal damnation (Matt 25:46a, Rom 6:23), not temporary damnation, however those who are under the blood of Christ have escaped it (John 5:24).

Dec 9, 2011
Jesus died a horrible death, don't get me wrong. But That death is not even a speck compared to eternity in flames.

So if he became my punishment for sins, why was it temporary if my sins deserve eternity?

For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ.o

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Hello OwenHeidenreich

GOD is holy and true,and there is no-one higher. GOD gave us the choice to do right or do wrong.we chose the wrong.nevertheless we were given the choice.GOD knew that we would not like the choice we made and he had mercy on us.

GOD is holy but in order to have a relationship with us,we would have to be right with him.JESUS paid the price for us by his obediance to GOD even obediance all the way to death on the cross .The bible says that without faith we can not please GOD.

JESUS gave his life for us(gave us his right standing and took our sin).....Faith(belief)in the word of GOD(JESUS)so that the relationship with a Holy GOD could be reestablished through faith in GODs word.

John 3:16

Viewing the King James version

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life

Last edited:
A

AgapeSpiritEyes

All truly that is in Jesus Christ His life light love power etc. is His to freely give, the request to receive Him is what He gives all of Himself eternally to all who believe along with giving us to the Father, how can it be He gave less that Himself, If He had not risen in Power of omnipotence then we only receive what He received: death, emptiness, darkness, etc., so we only receive what He has to give follow where He goes have what He has dwell where He is. His suffering and then omnipotent resurrection was to give all that He has and is. Who is to say what degree was His suffering, If He did lose the perception of the Father's presence and truly experienced the Father forsaking Him that in it self was what is felt in hell(to His conscious and in His body) who is to say what agony of the God level of torment He experienced and then innocently? Also the degree of pain how is the eternal suffering to make us or HE innocent to forever experience it to free us. This pain endurance was in compete innocence and therefore justifies us to receive all that He wills to give us in His God deity fullness. Needing scripture to believe well the simple description of His action of suffering is the scripture. When we enter Heaven and we see Him face to face for all eternity is what we will learn and experience forever unfathomable depths depths not by head information but also by experiencing His feelings along with the fullness of how and why innocently before Him.

Jun 28, 2013
We don't need to overcomplicate this. As another person said, it is by the blood of Christ. Look throughout the entirety of scripture, and you will see that the blood is sufficient to cover us (blood of passover lamb on doorpost, on mercy seat of the ark, in Genesis account where God covered Adam and Eve with slain animal skins, in Abel's sacrifice, and so on). Apparently the blood is sufficient for God, so it is sufficient for me too.

Feb 7, 2013
Peace be with you, it was HIS innocent blood (life is in the blood) that HE shed fell to the ground gave us victory over sin and death. As how Abel's blood fell to the ground and it demands justice from GOD. The same GOD has justified and it is written to be truth and to those who believe they are spirit and life for them.
It has nothing to do with temporary sacrifice.
Try being in his place from the beginning;
HE was rejected, ridiculed, mocked, challenge etc. until the Cross. HE was already sacrificed from the day HE was born until the day on the Cross.
Ask oneself, since the day we became born again Christians and onwards, how many of the dark nature and things of this world (our old Gentile dog nature) in us and still in us, have we sacrificed to show true repentance to the Living GOD.
Our MASTER sacrificed and was sacrificed.
Our MASTER lived it and proved it.
Ahead of time our MASTER took our place and paid in our place so that later we will follow and do it in faith.
"Yes, short and simple but All Powerful to defeat sin and death from you, my dear beloved ones", thus says the LORD of host.

Last edited: