How do we Nullify the Book of James?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
The Book of James was written by James (who was also called James the Just), the half brother of the Lord Jesus, so basically what we have in the Book of James is an account of the life of the Lord Jesus (both his hidden years at Nazareth and earthly ministry) though the eyes of James witnessing to the beauty and grace of that life. Mark 6v3.

Jul 18, 2013
I was reading the Book of James last night, and what struck me was how contrary it is, to the values of most modern Christians.

Because I'm not 100% familiar with all the pastoral directions on this, how do Christians nullify books like James and instead do the opposite?

Is there a teaching or Theology that says these books are to be ignored, and instead do the exact opposite?

Has anyone who has studied the book, understand what I mean?
the book of james is a very powerful book. i personally see nothing wrong with it. i have lots of highlighted verses in that book.

john832

May 31, 2013
What's supposed to be wrong with the book of James?
Here is where the problem starts...

Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jas 1:23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
Jas 1:24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
Jas 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

You mean (*gasp*wheeze*choke) God expects me to DO something? He expects me to obey HIM?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I take exception to the couched phrasing of the OP. We nullify grace when we combine it with works for the sake of earning or keeping salvation. Those who have the Holy Spirit living within them do not nullify any of the scriptures. They indeed are bread for the strength of the soul.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

H

Hoffco

I know exactly what the starter of this tjread is getting at; most all the pastors I have heard in the last 52 yrs Hate the clear teaching of James, faith without works is dead and will not save us, so they explain it away. Because most pastors teach a faith void of works, a false 'faith only' salvation.this is how they nullify the book of James. Martin Luther was so extreme on faith only , he rejected the book of James as scripture, The fundamental, eternal security churches I know, destroy the book of James. God has always requirered : 1.repentance from dead works to holy works,, faith in Christ our only savior,and 3. obedience to Christ alone as our Lord. "Fight the good fight of faith and lay hold to eternal life" "He that endures to the end ,shall be saved' Hoffco

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Here is where the problem starts...

Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jas 1:23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
Jas 1:24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
Jas 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

You mean (*gasp*wheeze*choke) God expects me to DO something? He expects me to obey HIM?
Correct, and...

"For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13).

john832

May 31, 2013
Correct, and...

"For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13).
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Mar 4, 2013
I was reading the Book of James last night, and what struck me was how contrary it is, to the values of most modern Christians.

Because I'm not 100% familiar with all the pastoral directions on this, how do Christians nullify books like James and instead do the opposite?

Is there a teaching or Theology that says these books are to be ignored, and instead do the exact opposite?

Has anyone who has studied the book, understand what I mean?
I started a couple threads that will answer your questions explicitly. They are: [h=2]DOES HUMAN NATURE VANISH AS SOON AS WE ARE BORN AGAIN? and[/h]
[h=2]Is The Mosaic Law Beneficial For Those Who Have Faith?[/h]
I mentioned the book of James in reflection as a mirror and the law of liberty. You might be interested in taking a look at them.

E

eternally-gratefull

I know exactly what the starter of this tjread is getting at; most all the pastors I have heard in the last 52 yrs Hate the clear teaching of James, faith without works is dead and will not save us, so they explain it away. Because most pastors teach a faith void of works, a false 'faith only' salvation.this is how they nullify the book of James. Martin Luther was so extreme on faith only , he rejected the book of James as scripture, The fundamental, eternal security churches I know, destroy the book of James. God has always requirered : 1.repentance from dead works to holy works,, faith in Christ our only savior,and 3. obedience to Christ alone as our Lord. "Fight the good fight of faith and lay hold to eternal life" "He that endures to the end ,shall be saved' Hoffco
That is not the problem. That is just adding to the problem.

Paul teaches that faith WILL produce works. Thus it is a logical conclusion that one who claims to have faith, and does not do the works Paul said we were created to do, never had faith to begin with.

Paul also teaches we are saved by faith apart from works. Thus it is also a logical conclusion, A person who does not have faith WAS NEVER SAVED.

James teaches the same thing. He says if you say you have faith ( a claim made by the person) but show zero zip nada works. Can your faith save you?

Well as we learned from paul, if they did not do any works, they did not have faith. so as James said, their faith is dead.

James is NOT teaching faith plus works. To say he does is to add works to grace, and cause james to contradict paul. and make scripture invalid.

Nick01

Jul 15, 2013
Playing Favourites. Praying for wealth. Many things that are part of the mainstream Christianity now.
Ah, well, to me that's just people being disobedient generally, not necessarily from just failing to deal with James. Favouritism and praying for wealth are covered extensively elsewhere in the Bible (not least by both Jesus and Paul!). James is just the icing on the cake for those issues.

Nick01

Jul 15, 2013
The mystery of the Faith is A PERFECT PERSON IN CHRIST.... and Paul's thorn was exactly this, that he had to leave a good friend sick.... Just to keep Paul humble....
Remember how Paul's cloak could heal ALL whm they laid the cloth on, even though Paul was in another city... YET Paul asked God three time to heal his friend, and God said NO!!!! Every time Paul remind himself of this sick firend it was as if Satan gave him a shot on the short rib.... And that kept Paul humble and in line with GOD... what AN HONOUR to have such a thorn in the flesh....
I'm interested in why you believe the thorn in the flesh was the illness of Trophimus? The two events are probably at least six years apart, which would be odd if Trophimus was a travelling companion of Paul (the fact that he event mentions in 2 Timothy that Trophimus was left behind ill seems to indicate a relatively recent onset of illness, not of something lasting several years). I'm much more willing to accept Paul is referring to a chronic illness on his own part.

As for the mystery, I'm happy to accept your answer in some respects, although I think Paul is probably hinting more closely to the person of Christ more so than the implication of Christ in our own lives. It's the divine Jesus coming to earth as a man and then residing in his people by his Spirit that is 'mysterious' E.g

1 Timothy 3 said:
16 And most certainly, the mystery[mysterion] of godliness is great:He was manifested in the flesh,
vindicated in the Spirit,
seen by angels,
preached among the nations,
believed on in the world,
taken up in glory.
and

Colossians 1 said:
25 I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— 26 the mystery [mysterion] that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people. 27 To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery [mysterion], which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Feb 17, 2010
Nick it is not the illness but the NOT HEALING that was the thorn in Paul's flesh. Just put yourself in Paul's sandles... Everywhere you go God heals people when you touch them or pry for them. Then you get to a good man and companion in the faith and you have to leave him ill. But you ask God three times to heal him and take this experience away from you.... Then God says... My grace is sufficient..... Paul was given this "thorn" that HE should not be exalted above measure..... Paul was humble enough, but the people that he served might have started to think to highly of Paul... So God showed them there is weakness in Paul, but God's strength was made perfect in weakness.....

This little lesson is of coarse again PROVEN in the salvation of Christ.... When we are DEAD, only then God's PERFECTION is alive in us... That means, when the OLD COBUS is dead, God makes Christ alive in Cobus....

God's strength is made perfect, when the old has PASSED!

About the mystery.... Who is the LIFE in all who are made alive in REBIRTH? Christ or Cobus.... Cobus is DEAD, only... ONLY Christ is the NEW CREATURE. God said it so clear.... For those IN CHRIST is a NEW CREATURE.... The NEw creature is Jesus Christ resurrected in the OLD COBUS that DIED.

Why can't people see this... when the OLD HAS PASSED... IT IS DEAD! Dead to NEVER live again! When Paul was crucified with Christ, did Paul die on the cross? They do not let a person down from a cross BEFORE HE IS DEAD.... Paul was refering to Saul. After God made PAUL His apostle, where was the old SAUL? Did the old Saul return on Tuesdays, or Sundays... or even for a minute? NOPE!!! Paul was a CEW CREATURE. And the ONLY one MOVING PAUL was the Spirit of Christ Jesus....

The SAUL spirit DIED! and will NEVER live again. The Paul God made did not have the spirit of Saul in him, he had the Spirit of GOD and Christ Jesus in Him. The life Paul lived he lived IN THE SPIRIT OF GOD. NOT in the spirit of SAUL. NEver again in the spirit of SAUL! So then who was Paul? Was he a converted Saul, or a resurrected Christ Jesus? If it was the Spirit of Christ that made Paul a holy apostle, then where is Saul? Saul would not even be MENTIONED again by God. After Paul was renamed, God NEVER refered to Saul again... Same with us. If God makes us a new creature SIN AND OLD ME IS DEAD.... GONE!!! And the NEW creature is not me, but GOD IN ME, and ME IN HIM.....

Feb 17, 2010
David I was just answering another lady on anothr thread when I remembered this,,,, Jesus said To Saul, SAUL SAUL why do you persecuteth ME... Why do Jesus refer to His people as HIMSELF? do you see how much Jesus is the NEW CREATURE,,, it is ALL Jesus and NOTHING of the OLD...

The Body of Christ is indeed CHRIST JESUS.. .as perfect and Holy as HIMSELF.

Nick01

Jul 15, 2013
Nick it is not the illness but the NOT HEALING that was the thorn in Paul's flesh. Just put yourself in Paul's sandles... Everywhere you go God heals people when you touch them or pry for them. Then you get to a good man and companion in the faith and you have to leave him ill. But you ask God three times to heal him and take this experience away from you.... Then God says... My grace is sufficient..... Paul was given this "thorn" that HE should not be exalted above measure..... Paul was humble enough, but the people that he served might have started to think to highly of Paul... So God showed them there is weakness in Paul, but God's strength was made perfect in weakness.....
This is a really minor point, so I hate to belabour it, but again, I think it's REALLY unlikely the thorn has anything to do with Trophimus. The times don't line up. Just because it potentially makes sense of Paul's feelings doesn't mean it's an actually plausibility in terms of time. Again, far more likely to be to do with Paul himself. Otherwise, the rest of what you say above makes sense.

This little lesson is of coarse again PROVEN in the salvation of Christ.... When we are DEAD, only then God's PERFECTION is alive in us... That means, when the OLD COBUS is dead, God makes Christ alive in Cobus....

God's strength is made perfect, when the old has PASSED!

About the mystery.... Who is the LIFE in all who are made alive in REBIRTH? Christ or Cobus.... Cobus is DEAD, only... ONLY Christ is the NEW CREATURE. God said it so clear.... For those IN CHRIST is a NEW CREATURE.... The NEw creature is Jesus Christ resurrected in the OLD COBUS that DIED.

Why can't people see this... when the OLD HAS PASSED... IT IS DEAD! Dead to NEVER live again! When Paul was crucified with Christ, did Paul die on the cross? They do not let a person down from a cross BEFORE HE IS DEAD.... Paul was refering to Saul. After God made PAUL His apostle, where was the old SAUL? Did the old Saul return on Tuesdays, or Sundays... or even for a minute? NOPE!!! Paul was a CEW CREATURE. And the ONLY one MOVING PAUL was the Spirit of Christ Jesus....

The SAUL spirit DIED! and will NEVER live again. The Paul God made did not have the spirit of Saul in him, he had the Spirit of GOD and Christ Jesus in Him. The life Paul lived he lived IN THE SPIRIT OF GOD. NOT in the spirit of SAUL. NEver again in the spirit of SAUL! So then who was Paul? Was he a converted Saul, or a resurrected Christ Jesus? If it was the Spirit of Christ that made Paul a holy apostle, then where is Saul? Saul would not even be MENTIONED again by God. After Paul was renamed, God NEVER refered to Saul again... Same with us. If God makes us a new creature SIN AND OLD ME IS DEAD.... GONE!!! And the NEW creature is not me, but GOD IN ME, and ME IN HIM.....
I feel like you're driving this point a little to hard. Certainly, we are new in Christ, we are made to be like Christ, and our old desires are changed to be godly desires. Christ indeed lives in us, our bodies a temple for the holy spirit! But that doesn't not erase our identies, our histories, or our personalities. Paul still refers to his old life, still uses knowledge from his old life, to do God's work. The spirit that was in saul (that is, the spirit of sin and death) has been exchanged for the Spirit of life, and he changed his name to reflect this new work. But he is still able to say that he is the least of his apostles for his past life. He is still him, even as Christ lives in him. We are redeemed for Christ, but we are still creatures - Christ living in us is a glorious grace, and indeed one day God will live amongst his people in all his prescence. But we are still and always will be ourselves, mere (and yet glorified!) servants.

In any case, I feel like we've stepped off the original topic a little. The original point was that James is not driving at 100% guaranteed physical healing from injury or illness. Given what we've been saying about Paul, it seems we're in substantive agreement?