How do you know when to leave a church?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
I think your desire for growth is a good sign. Unfortunately, much of the "church" world doesn't foster healthy growth. Rather than looking for another church, you might start looking for new ways to serve the Lord that don't take place within the four walls of a church building. Expand your horizons a bit. Maybe you can do that while still at your present church; maybe it will open new doors. In any event, it sounds like you're just going to have to take the bull by the horns and follow where He leads.
Most Churches today are equipping the Saints with baby bottles and rattles (instead of swords and armor) to do battle with the enemy.
It is truly THE crisis of this present time. Pathetic.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Hi I’m new here, not really sure which forum this should have been posted in so sorry if it’s wrong.
The question is pretty simple, how do I know when it’s time to leave a church and find a new one? It’s something that’s been on my mind lately, something I’ve been praying about. I don’t want to go outside the will of God, and I don’t know if this is God pushing me somewhere else or an attack and distraction from the enemy. Thanks for any replies
When they include the occultic "rock stars", sport heroes and politicians in their preaching dialogue.

One church I attended was literally preaching Bona as authoritative. Another......Madonna. Incredible but true.

I beat a hasty retreat, and the one preaching Madonna I happened to see the senior pastor in the parking lot and
voiced my urgent and valid concerns and told him in effect "goodby forever and happy landings".

Jun 11, 2023

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
True, and still Jesus also gives this command:

Mark 16,16: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

The ones who "believeth on Jesus", will then also let themselves be baptized in the church of God - will they not?
There are three views that I heard taught on this verse.

1. There is the baptismal regeneration view that says that obedience to water baptism is a requirement for Salvation. Believing on Jesus is not enough and faith in the baptism must be included.

2. There is the view expressed in this short video that water baptism should accompany salvation, but it is not a requirement for it to occur.
2 Minutes on Mark 16

3. Then there is the case for Spirit baptism which occurs at the time of faith in Christ. The unbeliever trusts Christ as Savior and the Holy Spirit baptises them at that point.
The last thing Jesus said to His disciples before ascending to His heavenly throne was,

"5For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. "
Acts 1

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Brother hmoon, I would talk to the Pastor and address concerns you may have with either the members or the teaching. IF!!! the pastor looks to strike fear of any kind towards you for thinking about leaving then get out! A pastor should address concerns with either yourself in relation to his flock or look to do something to let you know you are loved and valued in his church.

BUT!! before you do this what are you doing in the church to help others? You sure have gifts you can use; you see brother church is not always about receiving from another, it is about what and how you can give to others who have needs in your church. What I mean by this is to let Holy Spirit work through you to encourage another who may have need of it as just one example.

To me brother it's like looking for a new job while still working in your present job, and if you find a better job which address the concerns to help the family then you would speak with your wife to see what she thinks as well. Just something to consider brother, I never tell what another should do, because I do not know you!! LOL

But whatever you decide NEVER to wonder if you made a mistake or not!! Here is an example in the bible (Acts 15:36-41) now later on Paul took Mark back with him in (2 Tim 4:11) and notice he did not regret or was sorry for what he first had done!! Nor should you be brother! Blessing in Jesus to you!

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
When they include the occultic "rock stars", sport heroes and politicians in their preaching dialogue.

One church I attended was literally preaching Bona as authoritative. Another......Madonna. Incredible but true.

I beat a hasty retreat, and the one preaching Madonna I happened to see the senior pastor in the parking lot and
voiced my urgent and valid concerns and told him in effect "goodby forever and happy landings".
Bono of U2

Jun 11, 2023
There are three views that I heard taught on this verse.

1. There is the baptismal regeneration view that says that obedience to water baptism is a requirement for Salvation. Believing on Jesus is not enough and faith in the baptism must be included.

2. There is the view expressed in this short video that water baptism should accompany salvation, but it is not a requirement for it to occur.
2 Minutes on Mark 16

3. Then there is the case for Spirit baptism which occurs at the time of faith in Christ. The unbeliever trusts Christ as Savior and the Holy Spirit baptises them at that point.
The last thing Jesus said to His disciples before ascending to His heavenly throne was,

"5For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. "
Acts 1
I believe your first point here is the right one (that water baptism is needed), and my proof is here.

proutled

May 9, 2023
texas
Can you prove these statements with citations from the Bible?
Just to take the first one - I know of places in the Bible that says you should go get baptized. Where does the Bible tell about Salvation outside of the baptism?
Hello, Im going to make it simple if you here God though the paster, and you feel peace and joy, and he feeds your spirit, and your learning and Growing, then the church is for you, if you have no peace , no joy, and your not learning any thing you can apply in your life, then move on, pray ask God for a real church were I can get to know you better and your ways. he 'll do it,

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Hi I’m new here, not really sure which forum this should have been posted in so sorry if it’s wrong.
The question is pretty simple, how do I know when it’s time to leave a church and find a new one? It’s something that’s been on my mind lately, something I’ve been praying about. I don’t want to go outside the will of God, and I don’t know if this is God pushing me somewhere else or an attack and distraction from the enemy. Thanks for any replies
I say when it becomes a source of anxiety to you, it's time to pray and go with the feeling you get.

Hmoon155

May 11, 2023
Brother hmoon, I would talk to the Pastor and address concerns you may have with either the members or the teaching. IF!!! the pastor looks to strike fear of any kind towards you for thinking about leaving then get out! A pastor should address concerns with either yourself in relation to his flock or look to do something to let you know you are loved and valued in his church.

BUT!! before you do this what are you doing in the church to help others? You sure have gifts you can use; you see brother church is not always about receiving from another, it is about what and how you can give to others who have needs in your church. What I mean by this is to let Holy Spirit work through you to encourage another who may have need of it as just one example.

To me brother it's like looking for a new job while still working in your present job, and if you find a better job which address the concerns to help the family then you would speak with your wife to see what she thinks as well. Just something to consider brother, I never tell what another should do, because I do not know you!! LOL

But whatever you decide NEVER to wonder if you made a mistake or not!! Here is an example in the bible (Acts 15:36-41) now later on Paul took Mark back with him in (2 Tim 4:11) and notice he did not regret or was sorry for what he first had done!! Nor should you be brother! Blessing in Jesus to you!
By striking fear what exactly do you mean?

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
What I mean by that is looking to restrict your freedom to decide for yourself on any matter. If they start making demands of you. Example- The pastor would say to you in order to become a member of our church you cannot smoke anything, or you have to dress a certain way.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
how do I know when it’s time to leave a church and find a new one?
If the Church is doing something that contradicts Holy Scripture
Precious friends, A Very Warm Welcome To Chat.
Correct, time to leave when 'Scripture is contradicted'.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II). ← PG Rated "Approved" *
↑ learning this was 'when' I knew 'it was time to go' ↑

Grace, Peace, And JOY!… + RICH Blessings ♫ 😇 ↑

* PG = Perfect God / Parental Guidance:

Study to Be APPROVED Open Bible.png

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
1.) If you find out that the doctrine of the church, (Denomination) teaches ..."water washes away your sin". (Water baptism is required for Salvation)

2.) If you find out the the Pastor or Church (Denomination) teaches that you can ""Lose your Salvation""

3.) If you ask the Pastor, or leadership.....>"Is the Cross of Christ" the Gospel.? And they say......"No" or "well, sort of", or "its a part of it"., or "not exactly" or "Well, its the beginning"

4.) If you find out that your Pastor or Church or Denomination does not believe that Hell exists,

5.) If you find out that your Church or Pastor, believes that 'Everyone will eventually be saved and go to heaven"

6.) If you find out that your Pastor or Church teaches that "God chooses some to be saved and chooses others not to be saved ..(Pre-destined elect lie).

Start there. and if any of those are your Pastor's belief, or your Church"s Teaching, then get out and find an actual congregation that understands the Cross of Christ... as The Grace of God as "The Gift of Salvation"....., as those 6 do not.
I was with you until #6.

Hmoon155

May 11, 2023
Okay so update, decided to leave and told the leadership last week. But now I feel sick about it, do you think that’s a sign I’ve made the wrong choice?

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Okay so update, decided to leave and told the leadership last week. But now I feel sick about it, do you think that’s a sign I’ve made the wrong choice?
Precious friend, I "felt bad in my heart" when the first church I left "performed infant
baptism" at the next service, after I had learned "no such doctrine" in Scripture.
I left, and found another. Stayed 11 years, until I found out Paul's ONE Baptism was
spiritual, ask the pastor about it, and he even agreed, but then, he added ( red flag? )
that "we need to remember water baptism" ( two baptisms? ). I left, but, shortly after:

they loved us, and came to visit, to found out why - I told them, and
their ( 2nd red flag? ) response was:

"Well, in our fellowship group we disagree with the information you have been
studying." ( from a 'poisonous' book I found in the pastor's library... )

I thought about it some, and wondered "that's an interesting statement," because
from The Bible I found that "the Jewish leaders did not agree with Jesus, and
they crucified Him." See what I mean?

So, do not "feel bad," just live by faith, not feelings (2Co 5:7), and continue studying
to find God's Approval for you, and, next time "the right kind of church" for you:

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II). ← PG Rated "Approved" *
↑ of course, some of us are 'stranded' because of this ↑

Grace, Peace, And JOY!… + RICH Blessings ♫ 😇 ↑

* PG = Perfect God / Parental Guidance:

Study to Be APPROVED Open Bible.png

If "rightly divided" study is for you, then you can send an email to:
[email protected]

They will be more than glad to help you find a church or small study group
near your area. I will pray for you, Precious friend.

Aug 5, 2023
Cyprus
When leadership has crossed clear moral boundaries listed in scripture as qualifications for leaders, and the church overlooks it. I’m not talking about pastor/elder losing their temper or looking at you the wrong way a few times.

When the teaching and preaching goes against essentials of the faith. Have grace for secondary issues like modes of baptism, end times timing, arminianism and calvinism. It’s hard to find a solid church, and it’s not worth leaving if they disagree on something secondary.