How much wine is not to much?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
My wife has the same reaction to reds. She can drink whites with no issue, though. Even most Rieslings are okay. Blushes? Just fine. Reds? Boom! headache.
That's so weird that it does that; at least I'm not the only one I guess.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
its like how chocolate comes in BITE size portions yet some people just want to eat the ENTIRE block or box to themselves. Do they not know what a serving is.

I cant believe some people are unaware of what 'little' means, or maybe dont share food with their families. I dont know how they eat in front of others...like pigs?

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Hi. I was wondering how much wine is not too much? The following from the Bible indicates that it’s ok to have some:
Psalm 104:15 "... wine that makes glad the heart of man... "
1 Timothy 5:23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

And of course some verses say that it’s a sin to drink much:
Ephesians 5:18 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit,

So, if it’s to make your heart glad that means that in my case I would need maybe three glasses of wine. I am around 140kg, 42 years old with a biggish build.

But the question remains how often? I would say not more than once a week. I have had more than once a week lately and hopefully, I pull up and cut back. I write this because I like a bit of wine, I only drink red wine and no other alcoholic drink.
Now the above verses mention wine, not whisky, bear, etc. So does that mean we should only drink wine? I think so since strong alcoholic drinks like vodka for instance are a bit too strong and therefore too easy to have too much.

Anyway, I am very much interested in others' understanding.

Thanks
some pastors teach that wine, back in those Biblical days, was really grape juice unfermented. some say it was real red wine containing alcohol. i do not know. but, to me, drink alcohol when you feel you should on a natural level. in other words, don't "try" to develop the feeling to drink & don't drink because others are doing it to be with the "in" crowd. when drinking & you start to feel the buzz, STOP! all Christians have the Holy Spirit to convict them of too much drinking. personally, i had the ability along with my brothers to drink very large amounts of alcohol without stammering or staggering & still with a moral responsible attitude. but i never said to myself, "i can't wait to do some drinking". if it happened, well, that was it. for me, in the summer, i have a few here & there & that's it.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Hi. I was wondering how much wine is not too much? The following from the Bible indicates that it’s ok to have some:
1 Timothy 5:23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

Ephesians 5:18 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit,

So, if it’s to make your heart glad that means that in my case I would need maybe three glasses of wine. I am around 140kg, 42 years old with a biggish build.

But the question remains how often? I would say not more than once a week. I have had more than once a week lately and hopefully, I pull up and cut back. I write this because I like a bit of wine, I only drink red wine and no other alcoholic drink.
Now the above verses mention wine, not whisky, bear, etc. So does that mean we should only drink wine? I think so since strong alcoholic drinks like vodka for instance are a bit too strong and therefore too easy to have too much.

Thanks
How much could cause a fellow brother to stumble?

Mosie

May 30, 2022

Thanks

Depends on the person...if you are asking that question, I would say None.
What I mean is...
Maybe one glass, since you are asking.
For me it's half a glass, since I don't drink.

I don't drink because I'm the third generation Alcohol free, from several generations of alcoholics.
I crave it and I don't and haven't ever drank alcohol...so for me it's a slippery slope and I just don't
want that in my life.

Why don't you pray about it and ask God to help you?

Maybe ask yourself why you want to drink? is it the good feeling you get?

I'd say avoid it all together, we are in the end times and time is short.
It's better to stay sharp and let the Holy Spirit fill you not alcohol.

God Bless my friend,
Sara