How to hear the voice of God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
God also will many times Speak to us using images, could be a mental picture in our minds or an actual picture like a painting or a photo from long ago. Have you ever seen an old photo of you as a child and then you remember how simple things used to be back then? That could be god saying to you that you need to slow down and spend more time with him. A picture of your dead relatives smiling face could be god saying that this person is in a happy place. Beleive me there are countless ways he talks and countless meanings to them all. But they are never to sadden you or discourage you. The devil on the other hand uses your fears or shame, and when you start paying attention to them instead of god these feelings intinsify. I cannot stress it enough god is a god of love and warmth, the devil will even use the bible to speak to you. I know how offending this sounds but its the truth. The devil knows the bible very well and he knows what would hurt you the most, so if you start feeling shame or sadness from reading the bible that is not of god. The difference between guilt and shame is guilt leads to life shame to death. When you feel guilty you have the urge to repent because of how horrible you feel, but shame has lead to suicides, lies, murder, irritation, and so on. so yes the devil knows many tricks but always remember there is a limit to what he can do.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
It is written:
Isa.8

[20] To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Prov.28

[9] He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.
Luke.16

[19] There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
[20] And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
[21] And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
[22] And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
[23] And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
[24] And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
[25] But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
[26] And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
[27] Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
[28] For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
[29] Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
[30] And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
[31] And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
[HR][/HR]

D

danschance

I like this thread! I am always amazed at well meaning Christians who claim God does not speak to us. They say this for the obvious reason that they have never heard God speak to them.

I went through deliverance for years. During the process of deliverance, God was active and he showed me things to work on. Then in the fourth year of pressing in on deliverance and getting closer to God, He showed me one thing I did that I needed to repent for. After I repented of it God gave me a vision of a honey dabber full of honey and just starting to flow off the dabber. Ever since that day, I have heard God speak to me fairly regularly.

So I don't think hearing God speak is a matter of practice. We need to clean out the sin issues that clogs the pipes. Sure there are ways to increase hearing His voice like meditation, worship and even fasting. However, if there is a sin issue that has not been repented that might push God away from us.

I recall one time I made a list of all the people who had done me wrong. I included large wrongs, small wrongs and I did my best to all the way back to my childhood. I then repented for forgiveness and asked God that I be forgiven for my bitterness and forgiveness. When I was done I felt incredibly peaceful and that feeling of amazing peace stayed with me for 3 days. It is really a pity that deliverance takes a back seat among many Christians. They are missing out on some serious blessings.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
The Truth of God, HIS WORD, TELLS and speaks to us LOUD AND CLEAR.... Amazing that God gave us the Word to PROOF all we hear, and the MOST people believe the LIES of the false teahers.

You see blain, that is why I liked the photo Zone posted... READ YOUR BIBLES PEOPLE!!!!!! That is the Truth that shall make you free from the DEVIL DISGUISED AS AN ANGEL OF THE LIGHT! If you know God's Word NOBODY can bulldust you with false teachings.... NO ONE!

The Word of God is written down, but it takes GOD to REVEAL the TRUTH for you, and then the Word makes 100% sence! Every time I get a revelation, the Truthjust falls into place and I know God's will better. If I may give you ONE WORD of advice.... God will NEVER speak apposing to HIS GOSPEL..... Everything God gives us, wil lfit 100% in scripture.

There is only ONE PICTURE painted in the Word of God... It is a picture of you, PERFECT IN GOD! NOTHING ELSE! The WHOLE purpose of God's word is summed up in INE verse..... Jesus said..... Matthew 5:48... Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Now please note Jesus had NO ARGEMENTS ABOUT THESE WORDS!!!! Not a single person that He preached too on that mountain, said to Jesus..... But hey, Jesus nobody is pperfect, or we cannot attain perfection here on earth.... Maybe ut was because they were not so complicated as us. Or maybe they just believed Jesus! But all I know HE HAD NO ARGUMENT!

Blain, read your Bible as often as you can.... That is God's Truth.... John 17:17....
Cobus, can you please tell me what these verse are talking about? Your words confuse me, I know we should read our bibles, but doesn't God also send us teachers and preachers? Also I think we all can do a good job at deceiving ourselves when comes to our interpretations on His word without any outside help...I'm not denying that their are false teachers out there.

1 Corinthians 12
[SUP]27 [/SUP]Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. [SUP]28 [/SUP]And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.

Ephesians 4:11-12
[SUP]11 [/SUP]And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, [SUP]12 [/SUP]for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,

Romans 12:6-8
[SUP]6 [/SUP]Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; [SUP]7 [/SUP]or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; [SUP]8 [/SUP]he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

Acts 13:1
Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. (oh wait, the bible wasn't compiled yet, so maybe that's why they had teachers back then....)

James 3:1
Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment. (If God didn't send us teachers, wouldn't this verse would be irrelevant?)

If you don't have biblical and spiritual discernment, reading the bible will only led one into error. And this discernment doesn't happen over night, it's an art and skill in which needs to be developed.

Please Cobus or anyone, let me know where I'm going wrong here?

PS. your 100% perfection in this life time will never happen in my opinion. Good luck on that...but don't give up!

Feb 17, 2010
Bookends. You qouted Eph 4 and I LOVE that part in the Bible....
Let us look at Eph 4.... God said He appointed Apostles, Evangelists, Prophets, Pastors and Teachers.
First truth..... HE ppoints them, not some Bible School or a church... God appoints them.

God appoints them to do what? For the perfecting of the SAINTS.... NOw lety us get this in our hearts.... What is a saint? According to the meaning of the Word of God, these are already people that does not sin ANY LONGER... A saint comes from the greek word HAGIOS, meaning spiritually pure and moraly blameless. So these are already CLEANSED people, but they are not perfect yet!

Now! If a saint needs to be perfected by GOD'S apostles, prohets, evangelists, pastors and teachers, should these ones not be PERFECT themselves? YES!!!! And what is PERFECT in God's eyes? Christ Jesus is.... So ALL these tachers/preachers are FILLED with Christ Jesus... And Who or What is Christ Jesus? John 1... IN the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was GOD.... And the Word became man and lived amongst us, and we saw HIS GLORY.....

Remember how Jesus said... I AM GLORIFIED IN THEM.... John 17. So the Word once again is GLORIFIED in all these men GOD APPOINTS.... They are TRUTH preachers.... They were made FREE by God's Truth, that is why they are PERFECT, because Christ Jesus is the Spirit of Truth, and that is what makes them PERFECT in Christ. The sanctification in the Word... John 17:17. They were sanctified by God to be HIS TRUTH TEACHERS...

They have to perfect the saints, Edify the Body of Christ, untill we ALL come into the unity of FAITH,, IN TRUTH! There is only unity in God's Truth. NO PLACE ELSE. If a person even believes ONE lie, he cannot be edified to the body of Christ, before he gets rid of the lie. There is NO diversion in Christ..... ONE BODY ONE SPIRIT ONE TRUTH ONE FATHER ONE BAPTISM...

My friend I am not here to confuse, so please ask if you do not understand anything I say.... I get it this way... ALL saints that are perfected are JOINED together to make ONE PERFECT CHURCH.... The Body of Christ Jesus here on earth. And Jesus HIMSELF is the head. He does not join a falty member to HIS BODY, He perfects it FIRST!

G

GreenNnice

I've never ONCE heard God's voice but I've certainly seen His actions when I've done things when push comes to shove; think Jacob wrestling with the Angel ;)

God speaks to us in many ways, quite personally. He spoke to many in Scripture, old and new, explaining the power of God's 'voice' in our lives, Joseph, for one, Samuel, for two, Isaiah, for three (Here I am, Lord, send me), Ezekiel, for five (dem bones, dem bones, dem people becoming with flesh, muscle bones ), Joseph (of Mary fame), for seven, and, the list goes on and on, including Paul, John visions.

So, read His Word and listen in your life, He will give you answers, however He gives, pray and listen, you will hear, God is faithful and He is going to get done whatever He wants, for His good will and pleasure and He may be speaking to you sooner now than you know it, like right now :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Last night jesus spoke to me using a mental picture in my mind. I was telling him how i hate the way the world is, and how i want to be dead to this world and alive in his. I told him how the world has its grasp on me and how i need to be free, I then had a mental image of the world, it had many many hands but i saw jesus taking me further and further ways from the worlds reach into his world. The world desperately kept reaching for me but could not stretch far enough. Jesus is so beautiful and wonderful, he has saved me over and over and he has touched my spirit these past few days and i know he will do it again. Also this may not be God speaking to me but i drew a picture of the holy Bible dipped in the blood of Jesus. This is a vision a friend of mine had and i felt the need to draw it

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
And lately Jesus has been talking to me alot more than usual, he brings up random scripture that are just what i need to hear. And on my way from church as i was talking to him he finnished my sentence before i even finnished it LOL. I then remembered when Jesus said my sheep know my voice, I believe we all hear his voice everyday at all times we just don't realize it's him talking. I remembered my visions i had and i heard Jesus say he was prophesying about me, Which actually makes sense because I remember my visions to the last detail and if jesus was really telling me in them the things i was going to do and the person i was going to be then i guess what he said must be true. I was told by several people i am going to be a powerful prophet, but to be honest all i care about is living a life that is so rich and filled with jesus. I have seen a taste of that life and once i have it i think i can last until Jesus returns for us. I have felt my soul groan because of the hunger to be with him many times

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I also thought i should mention there was one time I was walking home from seven eleven and I threw my empty energy can on the ground and i heard god's booming voice saying pick it up. I instinctivly did as he said. It was such a commanding voice and i was really grateful to hear from him

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Blain.
are you spending as much time studying the God-Breathed scriptures as you are keeping track of dreams/visions/subjective feelings?
zone

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I also found another way The lord speaks to us, I was watching youtube searching things about jesus and found many testimonies on there where Jesus has actually visited ppl. There was one that really spoke to me, a woman was in deep pain and the docters could do very little for her so she asked to go home, she prayed to go home to jesus she went to sleep but then suddenly she was no longer in her body and there he was and he motioned her to follow him. She said he looked exactly as he does in the pictures of him. cannot explain the whole thing as it will take to long but i will say there was a point in this where he was on the cross and he did not look peaceful like the pitctures make him look, his mouth was wide open as he was in so much pain and she couldn't bare it so she was about to go and help him but he said this is why he was born into this world and he told her to give him her pain, she said no lord you already are in so much pain let me take some of yours. Again he said this is why he was born. But anyways It was amazing and my soul craves to go home so much, everytime i think of being in his presence and just being with him i can actually feel my spirit jump with excitement inside me and my heart racesLOL