hyphenated-names

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What are your thoughts on hyphenated names?

• I’m a dude and I think that she should hyphenate her last name.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m a dude and think that if we both should hyphenate our names.

• I’m a dudette and think that both of us should hyphenate our names.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TriviaGirl86

Nov 2, 2011
I would most likely take my husband's last name...because I don't care. Taking his name doesn't erase my identity or my family history, so why make a big thing out of it? I also believe women should do as they want, depending on what feels best to them. Some people have great reasons for keeping their maiden names. I knew a woman who if she took her married name...it would have really inappropriate connotations. Her first name is Anita...

Dec 1, 2014
Perfectly understandable. Everyone else in my family has upheld to traditional values in this arena.

However, I just don't feel it's fair at all to judge everyone else's ideas as liberal nonsense just because it's not in line with your own opinion.

And, for the record as well, I most certainly don't mind at all being automatically counted out of the running as Mrs. Utah.

But, best wishes in your search to find who is.
That's funny; I said elitism, and you responded by saying liberal nonsense. I like how you put the two together, and correctly so, even though I myself did not mention the word liberal in my post.

And as far as being counted out of the running as Mrs. Utah, I'm glad we both agree on that.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Day one of a three month internship and I met a guy with a hyphenated last name. I made the mistake of saying, "Hey, why do you have a hyphenated last name? Did your mother marry, divorce then remarry?" His snarky response was: "I took my wife's last name, thank you." I knew it was going to be a long three months.

I voted women should change their name. Every other choice is liberal pukism (except the pie).
That's funny; I said elitism, and you responded by saying liberal nonsense. I like how you put the two together, and correctly so, even though I myself did not mention the word liberal in my post.

And as far as being counted out of the running as Mrs. Utah, I'm glad we both agree on that.
When I used the word "liberal", I was quoting your original post.

I just chose not to use the word "pukism."

And, it's always nice to agree on something. :)

That's what keeps the Singles Forum such a harmonious place. :p

Besides. Everyone knows that if I got married, I would ask that he take the last name of "Rhode-Island" instead of "Utah."

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2014
Respectfully, posh is another name for elitism.

And for the record, Mrs. Utah takes my last name or she doesn't become Mrs. Utah.

And observing certain cultural traditions while judging those who opt out is another form of elitism.

Nov 25, 2014
Technically, it's not hyphenated, but what about Manfrenjensenden?

That would be a cool last name.

N

NukePooch

Hmm... I'm guessing your last name would be Kielbasa-Pierogi-MacDonald-Smith.

Am I close? :p
Kielbasa-Pierogi-MacDonald-Jacob-Jingleheimer-Smith

Now you're closer.

N

NukePooch

Technically, it's not hyphenated, but what about Manfrenjensenden?

That would be a cool last name.
Is that Welsh? They do like their long names...

wales-long-city-name1.jpg

N

NukePooch

Hello dudes and dudettes!

At work today, I saw a memo in which one of my male coworkers who had married a few months back notified our boss and the HR department that he had changed his last name so that it was hyphenated as hisname [hyphen] hername.

Now, I know it's pretty common for women who marry these days to hyphenate their names, but it is more rare for a man to do this when marrying. What are your thoughts on this?

maxresdefault.jpg

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
If I ever get married ... goodbye old last name , hello new one. Also... pie is great. I made a nice apple pie for my dad just 2 days ago.
Could you please send a piece to tourist as the last apple pie I made was a disaster....ate one piece each and threw the rest of it out...awful......

Roh_Chris

Jun 15, 2014
I don't think so, bro. Changing his last name does not make him any less manly than those who do not. On the other hand, it makes him courageous. I think the guy has made a brave decision. Whether the rest of us accept it or not, I feel that he has to be commended for taking a bold stand and "going against the tide".

T

Tintin

I don't think so, bro. Changing his last name does not make him any less manly than those who do not. On the other hand, it makes him courageous. I think the guy has made a brave decision. Whether the rest of us accept it or not, I feel that he has to be commended for taking a bold stand and "going against the tide".
It's cool, Roh bro. NukethePooch is a funny man. He's a good guy.

T

Tintin

Oh. :X

Sorry, NukethePooch. :(
NukePooch. Sorry, I've always called him NukethePooch.
There's nothing to apologise for, brother. I'm just saying he's not an unsavoury character.

V

VioletReigns

In the Bible they didn't have last names, they had names of cities. Jesus of Nazareth.... Saul (Paul) of Tarsus... John of Patmos... Mary & Martha of Bethany... Joseph of Arimathea... I'm Violet of Philadelphia. :eek:

T

Tintin

In the Bible they didn't have last names, they had names of cities. Jesus of Nazareth.... Saul (Paul) of Tarsus... John of Patmos... Mary & Martha of Bethany... Joseph of Arimathea... I'm Violet of Philadelphia. :eek:
Tintin of South Australia. Erm... It's not great. Haha!

N

NukePooch

I'm sure that's what his wife said when she told him that he has to take her name.

meme-june3-mywifespurse-630x420.jpg

N

NukePooch

NukePooch. Sorry, I've always called him NukethePooch.
There's nothing to apologise for, brother. I'm just saying he's not an unsavoury character.

I agree, I'm rather savory. Quite spicy, actually. No, more sour. Yes. definitely sour.

I guess that would make me Nuke Sour-Pooch?

Last edited by a moderator: