Hypothetical question

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DeJa

Well I never said this was about me so......

But if you were to say that to someone with that type of mentality and you are a representative of your faith that would only serve to deepen their hate for said person never wanted to have a decision, or thoughts at all.

H

hattiebod

I remember Job's story. It gives you an idea of what he would do for someone who won't doubt him, but this is a bit different... Someone who was raised not to trust anything that has human, or greater, intelligance and taught themself not to trust their own emotions and can't handle their own thoughts which causes them to rarely act.
I think the basis of this question is faulty...it is an inherent trait in us as human beings to trust. Take children raised in disadvantaged and abusive homes, they do not stop trusting or loving their abusers, they actually remain in a poignant state of optimistic trust that tomorrow will be different and daddy / mummy will not hit them anymore (for example) God created us with the ability to trust and to love. I would argue that it is not possible to 'raise someone' to not trust. God Bless, <><

D

DeJa

Actually, it is possible to teach someone not to trust. All you have to do is sit a child infront of the TV when the news is on and when they start talking about a child being raped, kidnapped, or murderd and the person who they trust and are dependent on say 'see, that's why you can't trust no body, including family.' Or talk about how friends will stab you in the back, and keep them from going outside proving how much you distrust the world. Doing that form an early age tends to create the atmosphere of no trust, which will feed its self if the child is bullied at school, then will develope from the distrust of outsiders to the distrst of non-immediate family, to the distrust of everyone around you.

Also trust and having to depend on others arn't the same thing. If you have to rely on someone else that doesn't mean you think they'll do it, but if your smart enough to know how the world works instead of seeing people as things you have to trust you'll just see them and yourself as stepping stones. You don't trust those stones to lead you to something good, you're simply counting on the luck of the draw.

If it seems like I'm going into a bit of detail on this... I know this type of mentality so anything I give you is first hand experiance.

H

hattiebod

Actually, it is possible to teach someone not to trust. All you have to do is sit a child infront of the TV when the news is on and when they start talking about a child being raped, kidnapped, or murderd and the person who they trust and are dependent on say 'see, that's why you can't trust no body, including family.' Or talk about how friends will stab you in the back, and keep them from going outside proving how much you distrust the world. Doing that form an early age tends to create the atmosphere of no trust, which will feed its self if the child is bullied at school, then will develope from the distrust of outsiders to the distrst of non-immediate family, to the distrust of everyone around you.

Also trust and having to depend on others arn't the same thing. If you have to rely on someone else that doesn't mean you think they'll do it, but if your smart enough to know how the world works instead of seeing people as things you have to trust you'll just see them and yourself as stepping stones. You don't trust those stones to lead you to something good, you're simply counting on the luck of the draw.

If it seems like I'm going into a bit of detail on this... I know this type of mentality so anything I give you is first hand experiance.
The bottom line is that all good things come from God, including trust. Believing in God is not from us, He is the creator & sustainer of our faith. The ways of God are foolishness to those who do not believe. The world can be a cruel and wicked place for many, but when one comes to understand the ways of God, that wickedness is no longer the focus of one's life. I hope and pray this transformation will occur for you, in His name, God Bless you. <><

P

PeteWaldo

So let's say I was raised, and still being raised, with everyone telling me not to trust anyone including family.
There is no shortage of folks - including Christians - that can't see what is right there before their eyes these days, but these are terrifically tough times for a kid to grow up in, I believe as prophesied:

2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. 9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all [men], as theirs also was. 10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, 11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of [them] all the Lord delivered me. 12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. 13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. 14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned [them]; 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Let's say I no longer trust anyone and if I do something that makes me dependent on someone else, like having to take a bus to school, I don't trust that I don't think we'll crash and die in a horrible accident that I see as the best case senario.
The wonderful thing about putting our trust in God, is that it doesn't matter if we die in a bus crash today or not.

Now let's say I hear about an omnipotent creator who loves everyone and whatever, and so I decide to learn more about it. Let's say I read a dumbed down version of the bible because I can barely understand old english and the riddles are to confusing.
You'll get used to the King James, and grow to love it over time. In the meantime use a good online bible resource that offers you easy access to information about the verse in question.

I read little to nothing on how much God loves us other than the cross so I start looking things up online. I feel like with Jesus I just feel sorry for him because he died a horrific death for virtually nothing and start feeling a little less than what I feel for my mom towards God(and let's say at the time I didn't like my mom for various reasons)
Let's say I got to a point where I see God as a liar or just doesn't care about us(I say or because if he doesn't care then I'll just think he's having his own fun)and that with or without him our lives mean nothing because and it would probably be better without him because if we die we wouldn't have to keep living forever and probably be in horrible pain for the rest of existance because we didn't live to his standards.
The Internet is a blessing and a curse. Your problem stems from looking in the wrong place. When you go online, use it to learn from the bible, not learn what people's opinions of the bible says. Click on this search for "love" for example:
Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for KJV

The Blue Letter Bible is King James by default. If you have a little difficulty with a verse you can click on the individual verse and then in the left sidebar you can click the "V" and see a bunch of versions of the same verse. Like this:
Matthew 5 (Blue Letter Bible: KJV - King James Version)

Also if you look just to the upper right of the list of verses you will see a little tab that says "show Strong's". If you click on that it will assign individual numbers to individual words, and when you click on that it will give you a better sense of what the word is translated from and its meaning. Like the same search as before:
Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for KJV
Click on that tab again, to remove the numbers from the verses.

But this is key. You have to be in a state of readiness to read the scriptures and prayerfully ask Jesus for help in understanding. We don't find Jesus - and he us - with our heads, but with our hearts.

1Cr 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.

Mat 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Now let's just say that I do think this and the thoughts been growing for years, because of that, everytime I hear about God's love I feel a hate deep inside of me because all I hear is a lie, a disgusting lie. And let's say that if I really have to stand before him when I die, I will (if he doesn't just answer me before I open my mouth) tell him how much I hate him for creating me, just so I can live forever in torment. And if the answer is just for him to be loved/to love/to be glorified/or whatever else, I'll know he never cared. Because I'm one of hundreds of trillions(dead, alive, and unborn)so that would mean my existance is just a waste like everything else, and that he never really cared.
What you are expressing here is more than just doubt. I recommend you get a copy of "Bondage Breaker" by Neil Anderson. Meanwhile, when you go online to learn more about the things of the Spirit of God, I recommend you learn from scripture, and leave the other websites and commentaries alone.
Blue Letter Bible - Home Page

Last edited by a moderator:

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
Reading a Bible dosnt make you a Christian. Many people come to Christ without having even picked up a Bible, they simply beleive what they are told by genuine beleivers, accept Jesus is Son of GOd who died and rose from the dead, and then ask Christ and God into thier lives., then they pick up a Bible and read it.

D

DeJa

So which is it, does this person have to some how learn to trust something that won't say anything to them or is it God's choice for if this person trusts him or not? Either one would mean he knew how this would end and either(the first one) he created someone for no reason other than sending them to hell or(the second one) what I just said, with the addition that he never cared for this person from the start.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
I'd like to ask a question. Do humans deserve life? And I'm not talking about whether all humans are morally depraved and deserve death more than life. I'm just curious if they deserve life. Most people are of the opinion that what one hasn't worked for they don't deserve. So how have we earned our chance at existence?

The answer is that we haven't, because we could do nothing to earn it before we existed. So if God created humans, then doesn't that mean human beings have one-up on God already? I mean, they've been given life for free. And they have a chance at eternal life as well. Pretty good if you ask me. If they're destroyed in the end, then they'll be no worse off than before they started.

I'm not entirely sure why God created human beings - whether it was for this reason or that; whether it was for his glory or for someone to talk to and interact with and receive praise from or so that someone else could experience life like God does. Maybe it was for all of the above. But I'm glad I was created. Just think how much I would've missed out on and would miss out on if I had never been.

D

dashadow

I don't believe one is condemned by God to everlasting hell because of behavior brought about as a consequence of mental abuse. If one hates God, it is not because of what God has done or hasn't done. It is because one does not have a fruitful relationship with God.

P

PeteWaldo

So which is it, does this person have to some how learn to trust something that won't say anything to them or is it God's choice for if this person trusts him or not? Either one would mean he knew how this would end and either(the first one) he created someone for no reason other than sending them to hell or(the second one) what I just said, with the addition that he never cared for this person from the start.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Your fate is up to you. God gave you the free will to choose to be obedient or disobedient. To choose His love for you or not. You could die this very day.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MaggieMye

OP: Reading a 'dumbed down version' is YOUR CHOICE. Get your self a decent-to-read Bible...like the New King James or the New American Standard Bible.
That said: you are full of anger, hate, rebellion, confusion and a horrendous amount of bad information about God. SO...

Let's just say that you gave God a chance and asked Him to be your Lord and SAVIOR and to Teach you His ways so that you could have His best and walk in the destiny plan that HE DID CREATE YOU FOR. Then what?
Well, I will tell you what! You would have access to ALL that Jesus Christ was, is and will be, including His wisdom, His power, HIS LOVE. Because when you give yourself to Him, in full, you receive Him, in full and though it takes time for the learning, it will always be there, waiting for you to step into who you were created to be. You are NOT, now, the person you were created to be. Whatever your childhood was, it does not dictate who you were CREATED to be; it only influences who and what you are WITHOUT CHRIST.
So, let's just say that you get over yourself and BELIEVE and ASK Him to be your Savior.

Cuz...it's an AWESOME JOURNEY!!
Maggie

Mar 27, 2013
Reading your post, it just shows that you are still veryyoung and have a lot to learn.
1. You (or your hypothetical person) areletting your circumstances define you.
2. There are real individuals who faceproblems with trust and have gone through a lot of hardships, however, theylove God. They didn’t interpret the circumstances in their life as you (or yourhypothetical person) did.
3. Which brings us to: YOU have your own freewill.
4. God is not a liar.
5. ‘…Doesn’t just answer me… I’ll know henever cared.’ He loved you enough to send His son to die for you at the cross.
6. You mustn’t test God.
7. Love God with all your heart AND love yourneighbor as yourself.
I could keep going with this list but I’m about to gohave some freshly delivered pizza & wings. The point though is that youhave a lot to learn and like the post above me mentioned… You seem to want somesort of debate with your mind set already. Again, this only shows that you needto mature a bit more; you seem to like looking up answers on the internet, thenI pray that you find the light. God bless you <3

A

Ariel82

So let's say I was raised, and still being raised, with everyone telling me not to trust anyone including family. Let's say I no longer trust anyone and if I do something that makes me dependent on someone else, like having to take a bus to school, I don't trust that I don't think we'll crash and die in a horrible accident that I see as the best case senario.
sound like you are being conditioned to fear everything but God tells us He can heal us of those wounds and gives us a Spirit of LOVE, power and a sound mind NOT a spirit of Fear. Pray and ask God for healing.

Now let's say I hear about an omnipotent creator who loves everyone and whatever, and so I decide to learn more about it. Let's say I read a dumbed down version of the bible because I can barely understand old english and the riddles are to confusing. I read little to nothing on how much God loves us other than the cross so I start looking things up online. I feel like with Jesus I just feel sorry for him because he died a horrific death for virtually nothing and start feeling a little less than what I feel for my mom towards God(and let's say at the time I didn't like my mom for various reasons)
don't feel sorry for GOd because JESUS is NOT Dead, He is ALIVE. the Internet is not the best place to learn more about God but if you want to read the BIble that doesn't have parts missing (like many "children" bibles do) then you can read or listen to many versions on this website (or your hypothetical person can)

BibleGateway.com- Audio Bibles

Let's say I got to a point where I see God as a liar or just doesn't care about us(I say or because if he doesn't care then I'll just think he's having his own fun)and that with or without him our lives mean nothing because and it would probably be better without him because if we die we wouldn't have to keep living forever and probably be in horrible pain for the rest of existance because we didn't live to his standards.
I would say you have bought into the lies of the world and Satan and need to pray and repent and be saved from the chains those lies place on your heart and mind. God is love, He is Truth and He cares about each and everyone of us.

Now let's just say that I do think this and the thoughts been growing for years, because of that, everytime I hear about God's love I feel a hate deep inside of me because all I hear is a lie, a disgusting lie.
because you have an evil spirit whispering lies and hate inside of you.

And let's say that if I really have to stand before him when I die, I will (if he doesn't just answer me before I open my mouth) tell him how much I hate him for creating me, just so I can live forever in torment. And if the answer is just for him to be loved/to love/to be glorified/or whatever else, I'll know he never cared. Because I'm one of hundreds of trillions(dead, alive, and unborn)so that would mean my existance is just a waste like everything else, and that he never really cared.
ahh but that's a lie. God does care.

Romans 8
[SUP]14 [/SUP]For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. [SUP]15 [/SUP]For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” [SUP]16 [/SUP]The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, [SUP]17 [/SUP]and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. [h=3][/h][SUP]18 [/SUP]For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. [SUP]19 [/SUP]For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. [SUP]20 [/SUP]For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; [SUP]21 [/SUP]because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. [SUP]22 [/SUP]For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. [SUP]23 [/SUP]Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. [SUP]24 [/SUP]For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? [SUP]25 [/SUP]But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.
[SUP]26 [/SUP]Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us[SUP][b][/SUP] with groanings which cannot be uttered. [SUP]27 [/SUP]Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
[SUP]28 [/SUP]And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.