i feel like i found a major contradiction

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Reformedjason

this is much easier than it looks...

those who obey the law will be declared righteous...this is true...if you obeyed the law perfectly then you would be righteous...

but nobody can obey the law perfectly...which leads into the other verse...

nobody is declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law...because nobody can obey the law perfectly...nobody can be righteous that way...

and that is why we need to be made righteous by faith instead...
This is right. I was about to say something like this until I found this post. Now I just have to use it in quotes. Very good answer.

S

Shiloah

there is righteousness that is good enough for salvation/ eternal life

and there is godliness that is obtained through obedience and walking with the Holy Spirit.

one God does for us through Jesus death on the cross: the righteousness that leads to eternal life.

the other is what God has taught us to do for the world for His glory.
I take it like this: there is no one that has not transgressed the law that has ever lived but Christ, hence, no one can be saved by keeping the law because no one has kept it perfectly. However, Christ as our Savior died for us, and as our intercessor, cleansed us from our sin, therefore, we strive to do God's will by not sinning from hence forth. We certainly don't sin so we can fall on grace, we fall on grace so we have the chance to not sin. But through Christ, we are made perfect and are saved. Without the law, we would not know what sin was, but with it, we have guidance.

Feb 17, 2010
Why do people always beat around the bush.... Go in and face the mosters....

Here is the truth... If only ONE is righteous and God makes another righteous, how righteous is that one GOD MAKES RIGHTEOUS... Why sould God DECLARE a person righteous if he is NOT RIGHTEOUS? Then God sins by lying! And HE CANNOT LIE...

All people God makes righteous through GRACE AND FAITH are as righteous as HE IS RIGHTEOUS.... PERFECT...

Here is the proof....
1 John 3:7.... Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Now tell me again there is no one righteous.... And why are they righteous... becasue this PROPHECY came true for them....
Ezekiel 36:26 and 27.... A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you,
and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Let me give you a gaurentee today.... IF GOD CAUSE YOU TO WALK IN HIS STATUTES< AND MAKE YOU KEEP HIS JUDGEMENTS, AND DO THEM..... YOU ARE PERFECT!!!!!

And will God do this? Apperently He says He will...
1 Thes 5:23 and 24... And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1Th 5:24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

May 15, 2013
Matthew 9:13But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Romans 10:3
Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.

1 Corinthians 1:30
It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

We live in a world that has created their own righteousness, and which it wasn't righteous at all. So basically what I'm saying that the ones that desire to be righteous has been deceived because they were being led by blind guides that didn't know the acts of righteousness. The deceivers had kept them following the laws without breaking them to help someone or to do what is right. So now the Holy Spirit comes to show us what is righteous.

Exodus 16
24 So they saved it until morning, as Moses commanded, and it did not stink or get maggots in it.25 “Eat it today,” Moses said, “because today is a sabbath to the Lord. You will not find any of it on the ground today. 26 Six days you are to gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will not be any.”

Matthew 12:1
At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them.

Matthew 12:11
He said to them, “If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out?

Matthew 12:10
and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to bring charges against Jesus, they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”

Acts 7:51
“You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit!

john832

May 31, 2013
The whole puropse in Christ dieing for our sins is that we might be without sin. Jesus tells us that if you sin, your of ther devil. Jesus tells us we are to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect. This is also what Jesus told Nicode,us in John 3:1-5.

Mat 5:48 KJV
(48)
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

2Ti 3:16-17 KJV
(16)
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(17) "That the man of God may be perfect", throughly furnished unto all good works.

1Jn 3:6-10 KJV
(6)
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
(7) Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
(8) He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
(9) Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
(10) In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Biblebob

Glad to meet a person who never sins.

Apr 6, 2012
Romans 2:13

If our foundation is to be on the rockmass of Jesus’ words we must be acquainted with those words. And it is here that the majority of those who profess Christianity fail. They do not even make a beginning to know because they do not have a real desire to know God. Paul, an outstanding apostle of Jesus, made this point clear and showed the results, saying: “And just as they did not approve of holding God in accurate knowledge, God gave them up to a disapproved mental state, to do the things not fitting, filled as they were with all unrighteousness, wickedness, covetousness, injuriousness, being full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malicious disposition, being whisperers, backbiters …. Although these know full well the righteous decree of God, that those practicing such things are deserving of death, they not only keep on doing them but also approve those practicing them.” (Romans 1:28-32) People today are building on the shifting moral standards of this old world that is certain to perish when God’s wrath is expressed. “But according to your hardness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath and of the revealing of God’s righteous judgment. And he will render to each one according to his works.”-Romans 2:5, 6.

Also James’ words: “Become doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves with false reasoning. For if anyone is a hearer of the word, and not a doer, this one is like a man looking at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself, and off he goes and immediately forgets what sort of man he is. But he who peers into the perfect law that belongs to freedom and who persists in it, this man, because he has become, not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, will be happy in his doing it.” (James. 1:22-25) So not the mere readers of the Bible, nor the mere hearers of the Bible, but the doers of the Word of life are the ones who are approved and who will be rewarded with life.

Romans 3:20

By giving the Law covenant to Israel, God made clear that all persons, not merely the idolatrous pagans but also the Israelites, were guilty of sin. It served to make the Israelites acutely aware of the many ways in which they failed to measure up to perfect standards. This was “so that every mouth may be stopped and all the world may become liable to God for punishment … for by law is the accurate knowledge of sin.” (Romans 3:19, 20) Even though an Israelite may have been free from idolatry, may have been abstaining from blood, may not have been guilty of murder, he was still declared guilty of sin by the Law covenant. This was so because the Law covenant now specifically identified a host of actions and even attitudes as sinful. Hence, Paul, viewing himself as if alive in the loins of his forefathers prior to the giving of the Law, says: “Really I would not have come to know sin if it had not been for the Law; and, for example, I would not have known covetousness if the Law had not said: ‘You must not covet.’ …. In fact, I was once alive apart from law; but when the commandment arrived, sin came to life again, but I died.”-Romans 7:7-9.

Dec 9, 2011
There is no contradiction.

It is important to keep in mind that the law is a set of instructions given to man as a guide to right behaviour.

The reason that one cannot be declared righteous by the law is because righteousness is not the observance of rules and regulations.

Righteousness is established in love and flows from a heart that is pure.

The Pharisees had the law and boasted in it yet their hearts remained defiled. Thus when Jesus did good on the Sabbath they viewed it as an affront to the written law. They did not perceive that the written law had a spirit behind it.

Jesus healed a lame man and told him to pick up his mat and walk. This man was carrying his mat on the Sabbath and instead of the Pharisees being joyful about this wonderful miracle they only saw the letter of the law being violated. Their hearts were not right.

We should not speed due to it being dangerous. Yet in an emergency is it prudent to speed? Such is the spirit versus the letter.

Thus a righteous person will keep the righteousness of the law but will not be limited by the letter. A legalist only sees the letter and is thus actually in service of a shadow.

Thus we are to obey the royal law of love which is love God with all our heart, soul and mind and we are to love our neighbour as ourselves. Upon these two commandments is established the whole law and the prophets. If we love then are we under a written rule to "not murder"? No because to "not murder" will flow from the law of love.

Thus we obey the law but are not justified by the law. We are justified by a faith that works by love for it is love that fulfills the law. Faith does not void the law but establishes the law.
I was reading this and i was thinking to myself(when is the part i don't agree with coming)but i was liking it all the way.
Thank you.