i heard suicide takes u to hell...is this biblical?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

cfultz3

Suicide is not okay. Suicide, like other sins, is a very selfish sinful act to commit.

But you also need to understand that no Christian can lose their salvation because they are a part of the Body of Christ.
What of those Christians in Hebrews 6:6 who fell away? What of all those exhortations to stay upon the path? Or if one sees a BROTHER sinning into a sin which is into death, noting that he is a BROTHER? What of being erased from the Book of Life? What of the Prodigal Son? Is not the Hebrews in the wilderness an example of how we can fall by our stubbornness to hearken unto the Voice of the Lord? What if a Christian became like one of them who fell in the wilderness?

Has a Christian lost his will once he believes in Christ? Or does it warn us about falling from grace?

You are correct, suicide is not okay. Neither is lying, stealing, lusting, those things which are contrary to the leading of the Spirit. I must say, if one is being lead on a darkened path of suicide, are they really being lead by the Spirit on the path of Life?

Feb 5, 2014
Would you murder that suicidal person if they came to you and ask that you end their misery? I would assume you would say no. Likewise, how is it any different if that person did it him/herself? It would still be murdering.

I agree that a hell-speech would only server to add to their burden. But also, we cannot mislead and say that killing yourself is covered, when it says that no murderer has everlasting life. And I would assume that that includes the one who murdered themselves.

As for euthanasia, although it has an emotional impact for both the writer and reader, let's be logical and consider that the taking of a life is still "a taking of a life", inasmuch as abortion is still "a taking of a life". Thus, we are still faced with the knowledge that God said, "DO not murder (kill, slay)". We cannot allow emotional feelings to brush aside what God has said when we say that killing the terminally sick and the unborn is ethical, when we know that killing is immoral, whether that is done towards another or one's self.
Of course I wouldn't. But i don't see how people can automatically judge and lay pressure on a person who is already on breaking point.

I never mentioned abortion, nor equated it with compassionate euthanasia, you did. I never said killing the unborn was 'ethical', you did. But personally I would see allowing an animal to needlessly suffer in its pain an act of cruelty, just as I would see leaving a human about to die after an arrow in the gut, suffering for days, as a situation of profound cruelty. To me it is no different than a terminally ill person in consistent agony.

Jesus healed the sick and gave them respite that way. I don't have the power to heal the sick with a touch of my hand, but I don't see God as being a dogmatic God. If a person is suffering and they are going to die, they are in unbearable pain, I doubt immensely that God will take technicalities into account if the action of alleviating their suffering is a compassionately spirited one.

Killing and slaying in biblical terms have always had implications of maliceful acts, vengeful acts, retributive acts or acts of wickedness. To end someone's suffering is no act of wickedness. Of course there are legal issues, issues of abuse, but when all is said and done, I would be a hundred percent confident that if i carried out such an action as a response to a plea and as a compassionate act, that God would understand my heart perfectly.

I don't condone suicide. I think it's unbenificial to life, for obvious reasons. I do, however, have empathy for a person so deep in suffering that they feel there is only one escape. If I can recognize the turmoil and sympathize with the person who is drowning in it, I am sure that God can also sympathize.

We are judged by our hearts, not simply by our actions. For good reason. Anyone can obey the written law to the letter and know nothing of its benefits, or its purpose, or of its contexts. To me, the law is a guide, of things moral. However it's not always black and white, do or don't.

The adulterous woman is a fair example. The law was not followed in that instance - she wasn't stoned. It's not always black and white.

T

twotwo

If a Christian commits suicide, he will still go to Heaven, ...

Now on the contrary, if a lost person commits suicide, then obviously, they go to Hell.
God is a righteous judge, who does not have two weights and two measures. Those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned. Period.

C

cfultz3

You didn't answer the question.

In your theology, how do liars fare?

Or how about slanderers, or those who sow seeds of division, strife . . .

Read Galatians 5. Either all your sins have been forgiven and are not being counted against you or they haven't. (1 Jn 2:2, 2 Cor 5:18-19)

There is no caveat in the forgiveness of God.

-JGIG
Yes, I did.

Can one live contrary to the leading of the Spirit? How then can one who lives to the flesh also live to the Spirit?
Allow me to rephrase, can one who lives a life of, let us say, thievery, actually be walking on the path the Spirit leads on? No, seeing that he is living in/for the flesh. So, neither a person who is living a life of a liar have everlasting life.

A faith which works by love, is truly a true faith, and love will do no harm to its neighbor, even to one's self....

Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.​

Since the Old Covenant is a shadow of how things are now, what was one to do when he sinned? Was it not to go and seek forgiveness from God? Can one really continue in contradiction to the Spirit and still be walking on the path of Life?

1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Are we really liberated to live as we please or must we hearken unto the Spirit's leading?

2Co 5:18-19 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.​

JGIG

Aug 2, 2013
A person cannot be saved and commit suicide at the same time. You are either under Satan domination or liberated from Sin. Cannot be free and slave person at the same time.
Can someone be saved and lie at the same time?

Slander? Envy?

Commit sexual sin?

Kill?

Is it just the 'big' sins that will do you in, or will the 'little' ones, as well?

-JGIG

JGIG

Aug 2, 2013
Yes, I did.

Allow me to rephrase, can one who lives a life of, let us say, thievery, actually be walking on the path the Spirit leads on? No, seeing that he is living in/for the flesh. So, neither a person who is living a life of a liar have everlasting life.

A faith which works by love, is truly a true faith, and love will do no harm to its neighbor, even to one's self....

Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.​

Since the Old Covenant is a shadow of how things are now, what was one to do when he sinned? Was it not to go and seek forgiveness from God? Can one really continue in contradiction to the Spirit and still be walking on the path of Life?
1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Are we really liberated to live as we please or must we hearken unto the Spirit's leading?
2Co 5:18-19 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.​
But you're not harkening to the Spirit's leading, you're preaching keep Law or perish. That's the point.

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! (from Gal. 3)

-JGIG

T

twotwo

Can someone be saved and lie at the same time?

Slander? Envy?

Commit sexual sin?

Kill?

Is it just the 'big' sins that will do you in, or will the 'little' ones, as well?

-JGIG
When you lie, you are under Satan domination!

When you slander, you are under Satan domination!

When you commit sexual sin, you are under Satan domination!

When you kill, you are under Satan domination!

You cannot be lead by the Spirit and Satan at the same time!

You cannot be saved from Sin and sin at the same time

C

cfultz3

Of course I wouldn't. But i don't see how people can automatically judge and lay pressure on a person who is already on breaking point.
Me either. But if they ask me if suicide (killing of one's self) is okay, I would have to tell them what Scripture says. But, nevertheless, I would not set there and give them a hell-fire sermon.

I never mentioned abortion, nor equated it with compassionate euthanasia, you did.
Neither did I imply you did. Sorry for that misunderstanding.

I never said killing the unborn was 'ethical', you did.

But personally I would see allowing an animal to needlessly suffer in its pain an act of cruelty, just as I would see leaving a human about to die after an arrow in the gut, suffering for days, as a situation of profound cruelty. To me it is no different than a terminally ill person in consistent agony.
And I respect you for saying this. But, consider the follow: is not one playing God when he DECIDES to end another creature's suffering by taking their life away? What if that animal just had a broken leg, but to that human's eyes, that animal seemed to be in agonizing pain? And what if that person with the arrow in the gut could live? Are we to determine that there is no hope? What if he received a miracle from God? What if that terminal ill person also received a miracle from God. Yet, if we decide to kill them, then we have declared we know they are to die and have played the role of God.

Jesus healed the sick and gave them respite that way. I don't have the power to heal the sick with a touch of my hand, but I don't see God as being a dogmatic God.
Yet, God is a God of answered prayers. And yes, God is very dogmatic about His ways, one cannot walk as he pleases and still be walking pleasingly before God and God still give them everlasting life.

If a person is suffering and they are going to die, they are in unbearable pain, I doubt immensely that God will take technicalities into account if the action of alleviating their suffering is a compassionately spirited one.
Should we mercy kill people with Lou-Gehrig, Huntington's, Ebola, Lupus? No. Why? Because there is always hope. If God would take technicalities into account if we killed one of those in the list, why would He not take it into consideration just because we have DEEMED someone needs to die? Under the logic of mercy killing, would it not also be compassionate to kill one of those I mentioned?
Killing and slaying in biblical terms have always had implications of maliceful acts, vengeful acts, retributive acts or acts of wickedness. To end someone's suffering is no act of wickedness.
Yet, killing someone with a deadly incurable disease would still be considered murder. If I was diagnosed with cancer and had 6 months to live, if I took my live by whatever means, it would still be murder. Why? Because I have taken a life while there was still hope. What if they found a cure four months down the road of that six months and I ended up living another 40 years? Would it not then be considered murder?

Of course there are legal issues, issues of abuse, but when all is said and done, I would be a hundred percent confident that if i carried out such an action as a response to a plea and as a compassionate act, that God would understand my heart perfectly.
Yes, He would.

I don't condone suicide. I think it's unbenificial to life, for obvious reasons. I do, however, have empathy for a person so deep in suffering that they feel there is only one escape. If I can recognize the turmoil and sympathize with the person who is drowning in it, I am sure that God can also sympathize.
Christ gives hope. Who are we humans to decide there is no hope?

We are judged by our hearts, not simply by our actions. For good reason. Anyone can obey the written law to the letter and know nothing of its benefits, or its purpose, or of its contexts. To me, the law is a guide, of things moral. However it's not always black and white, do or don't.

The adulterous woman is a fair example. The law was not followed in that instance - she wasn't stoned. It's not always black and white.
If stealing is not always stealing, if fornication is not always fornication, etc..., then neither is idolatry always idolatry. If there is no concrete morality (God's), then morality is nothing more than one's own perspective and by deductive reasoning, we can assure ourselves that although God sees it as morally wrong, we are right in the action we have justified.

The Law was followed by Jesus: love (that which the Law hangs on). But, I do understand what you are saying. There has to be a concrete morality base and to the Christian, it is what God has deemed moral and there is no black and white when it comes to that: You shall not kill (murder, slay).

C

cfultz3

But you're not harkening to the Spirit's leading, you're preaching keep Law or perish. That's the point.

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! (from Gal. 3)

-JGIG
But to the contrary. Has not God given His Law into our minds and upon our hearts? Seeing that He has, can I go a murdering? No. Why? Love will do no harm to its neighbor and may I add, even to himself.

How am I not hearkening to the Spirit? When I said that a faith which works by love is of value to Christ? Or where I implied that we need to go to our High Priest seeking forgiveness? Or could it be when I said that we are not liberated to live as we please, seeing that even a Christian needs to walk pleasingly before God?

So tell, how am I not hearkening to the Spirit?

Feb 5, 2014
TO CFULTZ

Me either. But if they ask me if suicide (killing of one's self) is okay, I would have to tell them what Scripture says. But, nevertheless, I would not set there and give them a hell-fire sermon.

There is a difference between what scripture says about suicide, and what you read into it. Murder is never defined as being self-murdering, and suicide is never condemned.

And I respect you for saying this. But, consider the follow: is not one playing God when he DECIDES to end another creature's suffering by taking their life away? What if that animal just had a broken leg, but to that human's eyes, that animal seemed to be in agonizing pain? And what if that person with the arrow in the gut could live? Are we to determine that there is no hope? What if he received a miracle from God? What if that terminal ill person also received a miracle from God. Yet, if we decide to kill them, then we have declared we know they are to die and have played the role of God.

The example I gave was irrefutably terminal cancer. I gave the example because it illustrates the imminence of death. If there were any doubt in my mind, I would not consider such an act as euthanasia.

Yet, God is a God of answered prayers. And yes, God is very dogmatic about His ways, one cannot walk as he pleases and still be walking pleasingly before God and God still give them everlasting life.

I don't think he is. Dogmatism and fairness are two separate things. The dogmatic person says 'let this terminal cancer patient with a week to live die in agony and misery'. The fair one would say 'ease their suffering and let them go'.

Should we mercy kill people with Lou-Gehrig, Huntington's, Ebola, Lupus? No. Why? Because there is always hope. If God would take technicalities into account if we killed one of those in the list, why would He not take it into consideration just because we have DEEMED someone needs to die? Under the logic of mercy killing, would it not also be compassionate to kill one of those I mentioned?

Again, you're misconstruing and twisting what I've said. Terminal means certain to cause death. None of these illnesses are necessarily terminal.

Yet, killing someone with a deadly incurable disease would still be considered murder. If I was diagnosed with cancer and had 6 months to live, if I took my live by whatever means, it would still be murder. Why? Because I have taken a life while there was still hope. What if they found a cure four months down the road of that six months and I ended up living another 40 years? Would it not then be considered murder.

6 months is fairly long. You'd probably still be able to walk for four of them. That's not miserable, bed-ridden agony then imminent death. That's four months of some semblance of normality first.

Yes, He would.

Christ gives hope. Who are we humans to decide there is no hope?

People lose hope all the time. Do you think after a tragedy and a loss of faith you will be able to switch off your despair by simple denial? People lose hope. It happens. What you're saying is we're not entitled to ever do so. Which is another pressurizing statement for the hopeless.

If stealing is not always stealing, if fornication is not always fornication, etc..., then neither is idolatry always idolatry. If there is no concrete morality (God's), then morality is nothing more than one's own perspective and by deductive reasoning, we can assure ourselves that although God sees it as morally wrong, we are right in the action we have justified.

I said it's not always black and white. I never said stealing is not stealing, nor the others not the others. I never said a maliceful action is not different from a compassionate one. That's certainly not what I said. I said, it isn't always black and white.

The Law was followed by Jesus: love (that which the Law hangs on). But, I do understand what you are saying. There has to be a concrete morality base and to the Christian, it is what God has deemed moral and there is no black and white when it comes to that: You shall not kill (murder, slay)

Again, this last point is only a matter of personal reading (to apply this commandment to suicide). It is a statement of your belief, and as such, provides no opportunity for an opposing argument. However, I will simply state that my belief on the matter differs.

JGIG

Aug 2, 2013
What of those Christians in Hebrews 6:6 who fell away?

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

It says that it's impossible for them to be brought back to repentance (unto salvation). To say that it means that one loses their salvation is forcing a meaning into the text that is not there.

Why is it impossible to be brought back to repentance to salvation? Because Christ would have to come back and die the death of the Cross again to provide for forgiveness for continued sin.

That is Old Covenant thinking - sin, repent, sacrifice, sin, repent, sacrifice, rinse and repeat.

The whole letter to the Hebrews is about the superiority of the New Covenant which is a better Covenant based on better promises. The interpretation you're referring to reduces the New Covenant to Old Covenant practices.

It is impossible to be brought back to repentance unto salvation because the Work of Christ saves completely. (Heb. 7:25)

To say that one can lose their salvation is saying that Christ did not go far enough on our behalf - and that puts Him to open shame (vs. 6), making Him equal with animal sacrifices that had to be offered time after time, when His Sacrifice was Once-for-all, for-all-time (Heb. 10).

The wages of sin is eternal death. Not repentance. Not crying or moaning or being sorry.

Death. That never changes.

But those in Christ are forgiven. Completely, utterly forgiven. When they sin (and we all do, but less so as we learn to be led by the Spirit), in Christ, God is not counting our sins against us. (Rom. ch. 4-10, 2 Cor. 5, Ps. 103) We, in Christ die to the Law (that which condemns, 2 Cor. 3, Rom. 7, Gal. 2) and live in Christ. Where there is no Law, sins are not counted against us:

14 For if those who are of the law are heirs, faith is made void and the promise made of no effect, 15 because the law brings about wrath; for where there is no law there is no transgression. (from Rom. 4)

13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. (from Rom. 5)

16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation:

19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them.

And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (from 2 Cor. 5)

It is impossible for us to be brought back to repentance not because we cannot come back to walk in the Light of Christ, but because we are so secure in Christ and His Work that it's impossible to be saved, then lost, then saved, then lost . . .

What of all those exhortations to stay upon the path? Or if one sees a BROTHER sinning into a sin which is into death, noting that he is a BROTHER?
The wages of sin (eternally) is death, yes?

Yet the passage below from 1 Jn. 5 says that there is a sin that does not lead to death.

How can that be?

It can be because of consequences in THIS life. There are sins that do not lead to death (slander, cheating, lying, divisiveness, etc.) and sins that lead to death (driving while drunk, murder, suicide, substance abuse, physical abuse of others, etc.).

Now read the passage, with the understanding that the passage is talking about physical death, not eternal death (and the Greek here for 'death', G2288 - thanatos supports this):

16 If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death.

There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

Why should we not pray about the sin that leads to death?! Shouldn't we be praying all the harder??

No . . . we should STEP IN. Stop that impaired driver before they kill themselves or someone else. Attempt to stop the substance abuser. Stop that abusive person, by either stopping them or removing the victim(s) and caring for them. Stop that person from killing themselves if we're able. You get the idea.

In those circumstances, physical action, not prayer, is warranted.

Again, you're forcing a meaning into the text (that salvation can be lost by sinning) that is not there, provable by the quote, "All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death." If the wages of sin is death, and in this passage there are sins which lead NOT to death, then this passage MUST be talking about physical death and not spiritual death.

What of being erased from the Book of Life? What of the Prodigal Son? Is not the Hebrews in the wilderness an example of how we can fall by our stubbornness to hearken unto the Voice of the Lord? What if a Christian became like one of them who fell in the wilderness?
What if an elephant falls from an airplane and crashes into my livingroom? Not likely. Until you view everything through the finished Work of Christ, it will be skewed and you will come out with false conclusions.

Has a Christian lost his will once he believes in Christ? Or does it warn us about falling from grace?
No, free will remains. As do consequences for our actions. Sinning is destructive. Don't do it. But Grace teaches us to say no to ungodliness (Tit. 2); some are just slow learners. I'm so thankful that God is far more patient with us than most fellow-humans are!

You are correct, suicide is not okay. Neither is lying, stealing, lusting, those things which are contrary to the leading of the Spirit. I must say, if one is being lead on a darkened path of suicide, are they really being lead by the Spirit on the path of Life?
The answer is obvious. Not being submitted to His Spirit does not equal His Spirit abandoning us, however.

-JGIG

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
So much self righteousness and judgment here!

I work in long term care, and often we have people on palliative care. They are sometimes suffering terribly, in spite of meds and all that modern medicine can do. These people cry out to die, some of them strong Christians. It rips me in two to hear the pain. Of course, they cannot commit suicide, but I know some would if they could.

I do not advocate euthanasia in these cases, but sometimes I pray for God to take them much sooner, rather than later.

It also applies to those who are in terrible mental pain. While it is true that God can help them recover, if given time, some get into such a dark place, they take their own lives.

I am not the judge, but I do believe God is merciful, and I do not believe there is anything we can do to lose our salvation. Suicide is not a sin, but a commentary on the painfulness of life. I wish I could help everyone through these dark nights of the soul, but God has not given me that ability.

I cannot think that the negative opinions of people here might contribute to the despair of anyone coming here and being depressed. I have worked with the mentally ill for many years in different settings, and rescuing someone from their own mind is sometimes one of the hardest things to do.

Think carefully before you become God and decide what is sin and what is not. The Catholic Church has been doing that since forever, and look what a farce that institution is!

38miles

The thing is that we must understand God's grace and, in so doing, must realize that His grace is 1. far beyond our ability to comprehend, 2. is not to be used as a license to sin and 3. extends to His children who die in sin.
This ^. And for those who posted such things, entertaining "license to sin" is itself sin in the heart even before the action. If someone thinks, "Oh I can sin because He covers all future sins" then that is itself sin. The entire issue is so pointless that people continue to bring up "license".

I would say there are those posting here who err, I believe. How can we comprehend another human soul's understanding of existence? How can we know the torment another person goes through, see their invisible backpack of experiences that have shaped perception. How about someone who, because of sin, must relive horrible atrocities either committed against or by the person?

The USA lauds someone who serves in the military to fight for "its" freedom. And in that service, forced to commit acts and follow orders that are diametrically opposed to the Holy Spirit, a person must relive the bomb raids, the children dead, the horrors of an experience that the majority of us cannot fathom beyond some Hollywood motion picture. Have veterans ended their own lives because of flashbacks and mental trauma the rest of us cannot imagine? Yes. Were some believers and follower of Christ? Of course. Are they in hell or were they never true believers? Wait, don't answer yet. Go up and read mystdancer50's post. If you still want to answer "yes", then you may want to check to see if your heart has actually been transformed.

D

Dalisa

My answer to this is the same as Martin Luther's. Martin Luther was burying the body of a suicide on consecrated ground, when the local Monsignor came out and asked him what he was doing. Martin Luther asked, "If a man is walking down the road and is robbed and killed who is to blame?" The Monsignor answered, "The men that robbed and killed the man." Martin Luther responded, "Then why blame this innocent, when it is Satan that killed him."

For someone (a non Christian) to be driven to suicide the burden upon them must be so overwhelming and for a Christian to be driven to it I would have thought that the burden was even greater due to their faith, I completely fail to see how God would send a Christian to Hell when His mercy endures forever! Psalm 136

In Psalm 136, the phrase "...His mercy endures forever" occurs 26 times, infact in every verse! So, this informs me, that even after death God's mercy is availabe to all, and also consider that His first Name in Exodus 34v5,6 is..."Merciful."

The idea that God would send a Christian to Hell forever because that person commited suicide is simply ludicrous!

C

cfultz3

So much self righteousness and judgment here!

I work in long term care, and often we have people on palliative care. They are sometimes suffering terribly, in spite of meds and all that modern medicine can do. These people cry out to die, some of them strong Christians. It rips me in two to hear the pain. Of course, they cannot commit suicide, but I know some would if they could.

I do not advocate euthanasia in these cases, but sometimes I pray for God to take them much sooner, rather than later.

It also applies to those who are in terrible mental pain. While it is true that God can help them recover, if given time, some get into such a dark place, they take their own lives.

I am not the judge, but I do believe God is merciful, and I do not believe there is anything we can do to lose our salvation. Suicide is not a sin, but a commentary on the painfulness of life. I wish I could help everyone through these dark nights of the soul, but God has not given me that ability.

I cannot think that the negative opinions of people here might contribute to the despair of anyone coming here and being depressed. I have worked with the mentally ill for many years in different settings, and rescuing someone from their own mind is sometimes one of the hardest things to do.

Think carefully before you become God and decide what is sin and what is not. The Catholic Church has been doing that since forever, and look what a farce that institution is!
I am in total agreement with you here. We should not play God and decide that self-murdering is not a sin, when it says in a most basic form, "You shall not murder".

On the other hand, if there is nothing we can do to loose our salvation and suicide has been deemed not a sin by emotional reasoning, then let us also justify the suicide or even euthanasia of mental patients who is tormented with suicidal thoughts, seeing that they are tormented also. While we are at it, let us also justify the Christian who would assist them in the taking of that life, seeing that they are only ending their torment out of compassion. Then we come to the point in that logic that if a person has a painful terminal disease that they would be justified if they committed suicide or euthanasia. But, it does not end there when hope is abandoned. What about those people who commit suicide when they lost their job? Their puppy-love? Their house? Are they also justified and pardoned because they gave in to the darkness before them instead of seeking God?

To say that murder is murder is not a negative thought, to say otherwise is to say that we should not tell people what God thinks on a certain subject. I am not advocating a hell-fire condemnation to the one who is contemplating suicide, but neither will I let them think that all will be okay in the end. Does it not also say that Satan was a murderer from the beginning? If murdering is okay with God, do you think He would have ever said that in the first place?

You said that suicide is a commentary on the painfulness of life, to this I agree. With this in mind, what of that mother who was in the news not to long ago who murdered her children and herself because her commentary on the painfulness of what her life of poverty concluded that life was not worth living? Since this woman committed suicide and assisted in the murdering of her children, which of these two thing would condemn her? According to the logic that suicide is not a sin, then it would not be the act of suicide. What about the murdering of her children? According to the logic that one cannot lose salvation, neither can the act of murder cause her condemnation. So, in conclusion, we have a murderer receiving a pardon and everlasting life, although it says that a murderer does not everlasting life. Let us be reasonable about it, we cannot justify an act based on emotional reasoning, but what God deems moral.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
A person cannot be saved and commit suicide at the same time. You are either under Satan domination or liberated from Sin. Cannot be free and slave person at the same time.
I hate to tell you this but you do not have a clue.

As long as we dwell in this body of flesh we are subject to it's passions and weaknesses. Paul wrestled with this same problem when he said the things he wanted to do he did not and the things he did not want to do he did. We do have two natures until we are glorified with Christ. The old nature is in the flesh and the new nature which is Spirit. The two war against each other until we leave this world for the next.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

T

twotwo

I hate to tell you this but you do not have a clue.

As long as we dwell in this body of flesh we are subject to it's passions and weaknesses. Paul wrestled with this same problem when he said the things he wanted to do he did not and the things he did not want to do he did. We do have two natures until we are glorified with Christ. The old nature is in the flesh and the new nature which is Spirit. The two war against each other until we leave this world for the next.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
If the sinful thoughts win the war then you are under the domination of Sin. You have been deceived and now unable to be rational.

If the spiritual thoughts win the battle then you have been saved from Sin. You can think freely and your heart is in peace. The attacks of the Evil One are ineffective against you.

A person cannot win and lose the war at the same time.

In war, you win or lose, live or die but not both at the same time.

As it is written watch the thoughts of your heart for your Life depend on them.