I need someones opinion

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SeekingJC

Thanks BarlyGurl my kids know that I love them dearly and that I am in no way their friend or buddy I am their Dad. When they're grown then we can be buddies ;)

T

Tintin

I am honestly amused and disturbed how some use Bible verses here to promote their line of thinking. This isn't a judgment but why not use a verse/verses that correlate to the context of the topic? The verses below are about enjoying God in all that we do and doing it for his glory. I would think it would be more appropriate to use a verse like the one where Jesus talks about giving to Caesar what is his and to God what is His. That's not quite correct either but it's closer to the mark.

you guys arent going to like this .... :) i dont believe its right it sounds like everyone is trying to justify their actions.... truth is not what we make it. As christians we should hold ourselves to a higher standard.... cars are very expensive does that mean because we need one we could borrow it or steal it? just because this is a "man-made law" doesn't mean we should abide by it..... !
Corinthians 10:31 says
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Colossians 3:17 says: And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

lets get back to the days where we asked What would Jesus do.... by no means i am claiming to be perfect either....

S

SeekingJC

Tintin, zeroturbulence did quote Mat 22:18-22 :)

T

Tintin

Yes, but my response was in regards to Reliant K Chick's post and other people.

M

MrMalby

Ok so today I went to go watch a movie and we were in a rush to get there cus it started at 2:30 and I didnt eat anything all day so we stopped to get something to eat but they took forever at the food place so we didnt even have time to really eat and I was really hungry so I ended up taking the food in the theater cus if I wait too long I start feeling sick and I didnt really want to get full off of junk food in the theater. I did buy a drink thou. Anyways I took the food in, no one say anything. Well my 12 yr old nephew starts in on me about being a Christian and how Im all trying to be Christ like and here I go sneaking in food. He starts calling me a lair and makes me feel so bad. So now Im wondering should I repent?? I know this sounds kind of off but I really feel bad cus Im suppost to be setting a good example... what do you think?
Hiya there

If you feel guilty about taking food in (if it bothers your conscience) then simply plan well and eat (and drink) before you go. If it is not a matter that causes you concern, sneak a bottle of water and a few goodies in :)

As for your nephew, when did the the Lord appoint him to judge the saints? ;)

Malby

R

relientkchick_4

I am honestly amused and disturbed how some use Bible verses here to promote their line of thinking. This isn't a judgment but why not use a verse/verses that correlate to the context of the topic? The verses below are about enjoying God in all that we do and doing it for his glory. I would think it would be more appropriate to use a verse like the one where Jesus talks about giving to Caesar what is his and to God what is His. That's not quite correct either but it's closer to the mark.
how is that twisting Bible verses it says that every thing we do should Glorify God i dont see how giving to what is Caesars what is his has to do with the price of tea in China ?

Aug 25, 2012
this is the hot topic of the night, lol goodnight!

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Yes, the theater over prices their junk food snacks but their rules, rule. As Christians we are expected to follow the law (or rules). The Bible talks about respecting authority and obeying it as long as it doesn't go against God's Law, even if we disagree with it. So your nephew, though maybe he could have used more tact, was correct in calling you on the carpet for disobeying the theater's rule.

Christians are being watched carefully by an unbelieving world....if our actions are deceitful and dishonest, this hurts our witness for Christ. It isn't a label we can wear lightly.

An easy solution is to make sure you eat before you go into a theater.

Obedience and honesty are Christian virtues, even in little things :).

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Ok so today I went to go watch a movie and we were in a rush to get there cus it started at 2:30 and I didnt eat anything all day so we stopped to get something to eat but they took forever at the food place so we didnt even have time to really eat and I was really hungry so I ended up taking the food in the theater cus if I wait too long I start feeling sick and I didnt really want to get full off of junk food in the theater. I did buy a drink thou. Anyways I took the food in, no one say anything. Well my 12 yr old nephew starts in on me about being a Christian and how Im all trying to be Christ like and here I go sneaking in food. He starts calling me a lair and makes me feel so bad. So now Im wondering should I repent?? I know this sounds kind of off but I really feel bad cus Im suppost to be setting a good example... what do you think?
I think out of consideration oyu might want to show that you do care to this person that is offended and apologize hoping to get the chance to explain why, but not for an excuse to do it over and over again in front of this one that claims offense, and be done with it. Now by talking with your 12 year old and giving the time of day shows Love the Love of God and now drawon God for the right words at the right time to bring peace
I remember a book Iread on this about how a Father of his Daughter had beenharsh to her over something she had done wrong. Well after listening to God in his heart he heard God say go back in to your Daughter and apologise. The Father in disgust why I did nothing wrong and she did she deserved what I said and how I said it
That is when he heard no Ido not want you to apologize for waht she did and how see deserves punishment, I want you to apologize for not reacting as if you know me Christ your Lord and Savior

T

Tintin

You're not twisting the Bible verses, you're just using Bible verses that have nothing to do with what you're talking about. You were talking about following man-made laws but then provide verses about glorifying God in all you do. They just don't follow on from each other. I'm not saying you're teaching false things, just using the verses out of context.

how is that twisting Bible verses it says that every thing we do should Glorify God i dont see how giving to what is Caesars what is his has to do with the price of tea in China ?

L

ladylynn

It can be confusing when something as trivial as eating food in the theater convicts when before it didn't. But we CAN rejoice that the Lord is working in our lives. Count it all joy!! :) It isn't a trivial thing or I would have to say all our "issues" are small to the God of the universe. But He cares about the sparrows and He knows each hair on our head. Learning integrity is important in the movie theater or putting shopping carts back after we use them, or giving change back if the cashier makes a mistake. What do we do when no one is watching? It's all about integrity and charactor. :)

If we don't see the importance of obeying in the small things, how much can we be trusted to obey in something Bigger? It's interesting how your nephew didn't think it was trivial once he knew you were a Christian but if you hadn't shared your faith, he wouldn't have thought a thing about it. :rolleyes: Our kids saw every thing we did and called us on it. Oh man it was not easy and we failed many times.

Don't let the devil make you feel like dirt. You are a child of God who has the priviledge of learning from the Holy Spirit. Amen!! We confess and move on to do better next time. :D

There is therefore NO condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. Admit it and go on and enjoy uncluttered fellowship with the Lord. It's being the best witness by admitting a wrong and moving on. Thanks for sharing wit2Christlv :D You are not the only Christian who brought food in the movie theater and got called on it..:eek:

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
Next time let him wait outside with you as you eat.

I'm just kidding. Kids don't respect sneaky, schemey or clever methods of discipline. You think that kid cares about acting Christian? He's walking all over you because he's bored, wants to say something if only to hear his lips flapping, etc. Don't justify yourself to kids. They'll only disrespect you more for it.

Last edited:

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
People respect others they can relate to - not necessarily those who are model Christians. You think that kid would give up his food if he were sick from hunger?

R

relientkchick_4

You're not twisting the Bible verses, you're just using Bible verses that have nothing to do with what you're talking about. You were talking about following man-made laws but then provide verses about glorifying God in all you do. They just don't follow on from each other. I'm not saying you're teaching false things, just using the verses out of context.
if that were the case Tintin everything we said from the Bible would be out of context :) its about having morals and ethics where as the rest of the world lacks, as christians shouldnt we hold ourselves to a higher standard?