If you are happily single, post helpful tips here for those who aren't

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 4, 2006
I've read so many of the same post, of people who are single and unhappy and granted I have my days where I can be in that boat too. I see most everyone says they are praying to God and seeking that He brings them their mate... which is cool. But sometimes I have to ask myself am I truly seeking God, because if I'm seeking him and I'm in His word, and love Him, then my heart should feel complete and I shouldn't feel alone... I'm not saying your desire for a girlfriend or boyfriend will go away... but I think if you are truly seeking God and letting him fill your heart...then maybe you won't need to think about that girlfriend/boyfriend so much...there is my tip =D

Crypto

Nov 14, 2009
Get a hobby or something. Something to keep your mind off of your singleness...........

B

buckeyegirl700

I've read so many of the same post, of people who are single and unhappy and granted I have my days where I can be in that boat too. I see most everyone says they are praying to God and seeking that He brings them their mate... which is cool. But sometimes I have to ask myself am I truly seeking God, because if I'm seeking him and I'm in His word, and love Him, then my heart should feel complete and I shouldn't feel alone... I'm not saying your desire for a girlfriend or boyfriend will go away... but I think if you are truly seeking God and letting him fill your heart...then maybe you won't need to think about that girlfriend/boyfriend so much...there is my tip =D
I feel the same way. I want a boyfriend, but I know that it will come in God's timing not mine. I feel that everyone who is wanting a boyfriend/girlfriend should make sure that their own house is in order before they go and get in a relationship. When I say this I mean that people should be spiritualy fit for a healthy relationship. If a man or women is praying, seeking Gods will in their lives, and reading their bibles then they will be growing in their faith. I feel it is important to have a relationship with God before you go and try to get in a relationship with someone else.

I have got tired of bieng single and went out and hopped into a relationship. Trust me that is not smart.

G

glenwood74

Singleness is the freedom to worship God whenever. Singleness is the availability to pray at all times for any reason. Singleness is actually a time to be treasured; God calls it a blessing. With pressures from peers and society, from friends and family, from media and self; most people turn their singleness into a quest for the perfect mate, and we idolize the idea of being attached and lonely no more. As Christians our focus should be on Jesus, and we must resist the urge to idolize the marriage idea. Jesus will make us happy, not some human. Jesus will love us completely and never fail us, again not so much with a mate. This lesson took me 15 years to learn, so I understand from whence I speak. The trick is to just let go and live freely in Christ's perfect love.

G

greatkraw

Singleness is the freedom to worship God whenever. Singleness is the availability to pray at all times for any reason. Singleness is actually a time to be treasured; God calls it a blessing. With pressures from peers and society, from friends and family, from media and self; most people turn their singleness into a quest for the perfect mate, and we idolize the idea of being attached and lonely no more. As Christians our focus should be on Jesus, and we must resist the urge to idolize the marriage idea. Jesus will make us happy, not some human. Jesus will love us completely and never fail us, again not so much with a mate. This lesson took me 15 years to learn, so I understand from whence I speak. The trick is to just let go and live freely in Christ's perfect love.
this is true; if you are in a relationship which interfers with your prayer life then there is something very wrong!

W

Walt

seek Him, seek Him, seek Him

D

Dread_Zeppelin

I love being single. Its great not having to devote so much time to someone else, their feelings, their problems, whether or not I'm doing/saying wrong. Plus I spend my own money and flirt with whoever I want to.

DinoDillinger

Jul 28, 2009
Just go to the family forums, their is MUCH more pain in there than in the singles forum. Marriages being torn apart, people being betrayed by the person they know most, who knows them the most. The lonelyness of being single doesn't compare to that. In reality it's not so much fairy tale as it is a job. A job that cuts to the quick. Being single, people can still most deffinatly hurt you. A person you are joined with can far exceed that though.

So while you are single, consider it a blessing. You have a perfect husband in our Lord. He will not fail you like a man/woman will.

Jun 4, 2006
Just go to the family forums, their is MUCH more pain in there than in the singles forum. Marriages being torn apart, people being betrayed by the person they know most, who knows them the most. The lonelyness of being single doesn't compare to that. In reality it's not so much fairy tale as it is a job. A job that cuts to the quick. Being single, people can still most deffinatly hurt you. A person you are joined with can far exceed that though.

So while you are single, consider it a blessing. You have a perfect husband in our Lord. He will not fail you like a man/woman will.
I like that you posted this... I agree....and personally I don't have to go into the family forum, I've seen it with my own family..

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009

I completely agree with DD on this one.

Here's my tip--if you're single and unhappy about it, talk to and really get to know married people!!!

For example, I have a good friend, in a Christian marriage, who is struggling with the issue of her young teenage daughter confiding in her that she has smoked at school for several years, experimented with drugs, and is having sex. This girl has no car and no way around, so my friend is utterly baffled as to where she is getting away with all this, and is in a wrestle with herself over being grateful for her daughter's honesty but also how to deal with it and discipline her as a parent.

I have another friend whose husband pays more attention to his Facebook page than her, "meeting up" with "old friends" (many of them female) from high school, etc. I pray, pray, pray he doesn't leave her with their three kids.

And I thanked God right then and there that I was single!!!

We all "want" this or that... we all want a partner, family, etc... BUT COULD WE REALLY HANDLE WHAT GOES WITH IT???? Only God knows that.

And for our friends out there who are younger singles (and maybe us not as young :)), can you pay your own bills? On time? In full? Great!! Can you also pay for someone else's? And then for the needs of, say, four children on top of that, college expenses at all? If not, then we know part of the work we need to be doing--preparation!!

Even as a teen--I got into my first serious relationship when I was about 17, and say, every time his car broke down or his mom threatened to stop helping him with this or that, I felt I had to help out because, of course, he was my boyfriend... I was paying all my bills and a good part of his as well. Unfortunately, I found myself getting into this situation again and again as I somehow always seemed to stupidly choose guys with absolutely no money management skills.

One of the things that makes me happy about being single right now is that the only bills I have to pay are my own!!!

Jun 4, 2006
I love you miss seoulsearch, you always give such great wisdom =]

L

lil-rush

Personally, looking at the problems married couples have to deal with does not make me any happier that I am single. The only thing that does for me is make me feel sad for those married couples. If I see someone having trouble in their marriage, my initial thought is "Okay, well I know not to do that when I get married."

I'm not quite sure what I do to be happy being single. Every now and again, I get the thought that it'd be great if I was married, but then I remember that I am only 20 and a college student to boot with no job that could support a family, and that makes me very happy I'm not married. There is a time and a season for every purpose under heaven (Ecc 3:1), and God knows that I am not ready for the season of being a wife and mother. I rest easy in the knowledge that God knows what is best for me. It makes me happy knowing God has my best interest at mind. So, I guess being happy with God is what makes me happy while being single.

Being single isn't that important to me, so I don't spend much time dwelling on the fact. Being single is just part of who I am, like my skin being caramelish in color, or being 5'3. I'm single, so what? It's not that big a deal to me. I have more important things to worry about than the fact that I don't have a man in my life who will cause my life to be more complicated than it is now.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that being content helps me to be happy.

W

Wug

I just realize all the cool things that come with being single. For instance, I'm typing this at 1:05 AM, in my kitchen, where a poster of Clint Eastwood as the man with no name guards my refridgerator, which has pictures of Strongbad on it. When I'm done here, I'm going to watch a DVD for another hour, and go to bed whenever I want. What woman would let their husband do any of these things? None of these things are bad, and I'd be willing to give them up for the right woman, but how awesome is it that I can do all these things without being selfish? Sometimes the loneliness can get to me, but overall, I think I'm much more joyfull right now being single than I would be not single. Regardless of my situation, I can find joy, for joy is a fruit of the spirit.

I think a big part of our unhappiness (at least for me) is the pressure that one gets from others (mom, you reading?) to find a girlfriend/boyfriend. All it is is just peer pressure, but this time you're not in highschool. If I were to follow societal pressure to the degree of getting married just for the sake of getting married, I would not be me. I'm sure that we can find happiness whether we're single or not, but it's very appropriate, as the previous posters have said, to aknowledge that marriage is NOT a fairy tale, and we have it way easier than most married folks.

Plus I spend my own money and flirt with whoever I want to.
"Snap", that is the sound of those young men's hearts breaking.......:p

taggerung

Apr 26, 2009
do whatever you want and enjoy it. dye your hair. get a tattoo. buy weird clothes. i did all that and more.

May 21, 2009
If you can't be happy with yourself now then how could you make anyone else happy?

May 4, 2009
Yeah, but how can I be happy with myself when nothing ever goes right?

Pheonix

Jan 17, 2007
I wouldn't exactly say I'm single and happy but I will say his. Enjoy the freedom now, because sooner or later it'll be over and you'll be kicking yourself because you didn't enjoy it. Live each day as if it is your last. You never know what is around the next corner. It could be the woman of your dreams or a Mack Truck.

Jun 4, 2006
I think a big part of our unhappiness (at least for me) is the pressure that one gets from others (mom, you reading?) to find a girlfriend/boyfriend. All it is is just peer pressure, but this time you're not in highschool. .
I agree.... sometimes I have my best friend's kids with me, and I have to stop by my grandma's and I always dread it, because she's like well at lease some people give their grandparents great grand babies...and get married...and I'm like ouch...thanks! I hate it, and then I feel almost guilty for enjoying being single.

Jun 4, 2006
I wouldn't exactly say I'm single and happy but I will say his. Enjoy the freedom now, because sooner or later it'll be over and you'll be kicking yourself because you didn't enjoy it. Live each day as if it is your last. You never know what is around the next corner. It could be the woman of your dreams or a Mack Truck.
Good advice =]