IHOP: A Case for Corruption

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 6, 2012
This is a very sad story but a really sobering one that I think especially Christians with ties to IHOP (International House of Prayer) and their connected ministries should check out. It's the story of scandal surfacing at IHOP not too long ago (late 2012) when a member of IHOP and IHOPU was found dead:

[video=youtube;AmrbZ9_PLyw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmrbZ9_PLyw[/video]

The media story is a little exaggerated, but Rolling Stone Magazine (of all people) recently covered the case pretty well. Another former IHOP member wrote a follower-up article to that of Rolling Stone with commentary from several people involved in the actual case. Both articles are below:

1. Rolling Stone- Love and Death In the International House of Prayer: A Cultlike Christian Group's Darkest Secrets | Culture News | Rolling Stone

2. Kendall Beachey- What Rolling Stone Didn’t Tell You About Tyler Deaton | The Cosmic Cathedral

While IHOP leaders and staff (of whom Deaton, the main character, was a part for a while) deny their teachings and influence had any connection to Deaton's activities, we know that though fruits may roll far from the tree, they never fall far from it. I hope this story, and other reports of abuse at the hands of IHOP leadership, reaches everyone that needs to hear it.

T

Tintin

I don't agree with IHOP everything, but this is an unusual case. I've read much about it and seems to me that the man was running a cult within the framework of the IHOP community. That doesn't mean IHOP = cult, it means IHOP should've known such things were going on at their campus. I think it's good to be discerning here, but there's no need to dismiss IHOP outright. You can find crazies in any church. We need to be mindful of the wolves.

Jan 6, 2012
I don't agree with IHOP everything, but this is an unusual case. I've read much about it and seems to me that the man was running a cult within the framework of the IHOP community. That doesn't mean IHOP = cult, it means IHOP should've known such things were going on at their campus. I think it's good to be discerning here, but there's no need to dismiss IHOP outright. You can find crazies in any church. We need to be mindful of the wolves.
I've been around IHOPers and know the doctrine well. What we shouldn't throw out is the people; the doctrines and teachings and practices are a different story. Read the article, especially the second link. There are many ex-IHOPers that are more believable about their practices than I am. As I said before, I am happy that Rolling Stone carried the story. It is important that the secular world (and especially other Christians who are deceived) sees what's going on inside some churches. This is for the purpose of accountability, a word that is entirely foreign to these false Charismatic and prophetic movements. I also knew a guy not long ago who was a part of the IHOP fiasco. His fruit spoke for all the leaders, and when he was found in error and sin by even the leaders, they said it wasn't their place to hold him accountable. I sure hope the secular world swoops down and does the job then. In coming times, they will be all too glad to do so. The leaders should be brought out fully into the light of exposure. Any sincere person should be concerned about the sheep, especially the young people who are very emotional, highly suggestible, seeking identity and belonging, and therefore easily controlled. My heart goes out to them and to the families of the victimized, but not to the leaders who have been lying and covering up their corruption from the very beginning of the IHOP, Vineyard, KCF, and other like movements.

Cee

May 14, 2010
I have no problem with iHop. And while it's unfortunate that someone died in their church 2 years ago. It doesn't mean they are a cult and it doesn't mean their teaching led to it. The statement, "While IHOP leaders and staff (of whom Deaton, the main character, was a part for a while) deny their teachings and influence had any connection to Deaton's activities, we know that though fruits may roll far from the tree, they never fall far from it." Sounds good, but isn't Biblical.

There are plenty of people who take teachings put their own spin on it and bad things happen. If we had an article for every bad thing that happened in church, every single church would have something in there because people are people.

I am only commenting because this seems like a stretch to say that there is something wrong with IHOP's doctrine because of something that happened 2 years ago. There is no call to pray for the leaders, there is no life in this post at all, IMO. It's entirely too trendy to bride bash now-a-days.

There will always be something we can't agree on. That's why there are thousands of denominations. But God desires unity.

20“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.

C.

Sleepay

May 16, 2013
As I said before, I am happy that Rolling Stone carried the story. It is important that the secular world (and especially other Christians who are deceived) sees what's going on inside some churches. This is for the purpose of accountability

I sure hope the secular world swoops down and does the job then.

My heart goes out to them and to the families of the victimized, but not to the leaders who have been lying and covering up their corruption from the very beginning of the IHOP, Vineyard, KCF, and other like movements.

I don't read or trust secular sources. Nor do I rely on the world to govern the things of God. My heart goes out to all man. I will have to agree with my brother Cee. Jesus Bless you all.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I was expecting pancakes, what a disappointment.

skipp

Mar 6, 2014
This is what happens when people are led by emotions more than by solid theology and the Bible. It makes it easier for the wolves to take hold.

Yet

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
2Cor.2:17 we are unlike so many that corrupt (sell for cash) the word of God....

Don't just pick on one group. They're all corrupting the word for fun and profit. Wake me up when you get there.

Jan 6, 2012
I have no problem with iHop. And while it's unfortunate that someone died in their church 2 years ago. It doesn't mean they are a cult and it doesn't mean their teaching led to it. The statement, "While IHOP leaders and staff (of whom Deaton, the main character, was a part for a while) deny their teachings and influence had any connection to Deaton's activities, we know that though fruits may roll far from the tree, they never fall far from it." Sounds good, but isn't Biblical.

There are plenty of people who take teachings put their own spin on it and bad things happen. If we had an article for every bad thing that happened in church, every single church would have something in there because people are people.

I am only commenting because this seems like a stretch to say that there is something wrong with IHOP's doctrine because of something that happened 2 years ago. There is no call to pray for the leaders, there is no life in this post at all, IMO. It's entirely too trendy to bride bash now-a-days.

There will always be something we can't agree on. That's why there are thousands of denominations. But God desires unity.

20“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.

C.
Cee, you have no idea how much there is to say about all of this as well as your short reply above. I could write a whole book (and believe me, I'm not kidding) addressing each of the points you made above. I don't have any problems with IHOP either... Okay, yes I absolutely do. But I'm not talking about how I or you or anyone else feels but am comparing IHOP to the Biblical Model which is what we are, as Christians, supposed to do. Like every other religion, Christians are quick to defend our own; how can we say we are different from others when we are biased like everyone else? James said:

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there" (3:13-16).

To make this 300 pages shorter than a book, let me just ask you several questions from the above:

1. James implies above that God wants Christians to be wise: "Who is wise and understanding (discerning) among you?" What IHOPer (leaders included) would you call wise and discerning, and why?

2. What works of IHOP would you call "good conduct" and would you say are "done in the meekness of wisdom"? (The dictionary defines 'meek' basically as 'humble'; the Bible defines it further as 'quietness, humility, lack of performance, self-control': "What does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly (without showiness) with your God.")

3. To discredit the truth, because it's reported by 'secular sources' or people you don't agree with, or is reported against something you hold dear, is to "boast and lie against the truth". Does IHOP show the signs of having "bitter envy and self-seeking in [their] hearts"?

4. People who cover up facts or truth for some type of benefit (Christians often do it to defend Christians in sin or error) are guilty of demonic wisdom. (Wisdom there, when tied to the demonic and sensual (sin nature) means 'opinion'. People who defend the guilty are guilty of choosing their opinion (wisdom) above God's wisdom.) Do you believe that IHOP showed godly or demonic-sensual wisdom in covering up, damage control, and lying about the Deaton fiasco?

5. Do you believe that, as IHOPers are very human, envy and self-seeking exist there?

6. If you believe the above, do you believe that "confusion and every evil thing" would be natural to IHOP and IHOPers?

As for fruits falling from trees, Jesus said, "You will know them by their fruits." Fruits are not just those of the IHOP leaders (and their fruits are corrupt) but also the fruits or 'children' of IHOP leadership. If the students of IHOPU and members of IHOP continually display unBiblical beliefs, feelings, lifestyles, practices, and actions, this says that the leaders are the same way; therefore, thank God for fruits that fall from bad trees and 'roll away', but followers (fruits) are like their leaders (trees) as Jesus said: "A student is not above his master"; a disciple is like his leader. And don't call my thread 'bride-bashing' as if a title makes claims false. Whether the bride is bashed or not, the bride is guilty of high treason. Do you want me to post you links to many articles written by Christians and ex-IHOPers about IHOP, IHOP leadership, and all the many scandals from IHOP that have already made it to the news and papers? But that won't be enough to get you to change your mind; you have to want to see and live by facts and not bias. I've met and known no one tied to IHOP, NAR, the Vineyard churches, and the rest of those hyper-Charismatics who isn't totally confused. The last one I knew in my city tells me that the Vineyard he attends has it all wrong... but he still attends as he sees no alternative in a Charismatic setting. There's nothing like reporting the facts.

Jan 6, 2012
As I said before, I am happy that Rolling Stone carried the story. It is important that the secular world (and especially other Christians who are deceived) sees what's going on inside some churches. This is for the purpose of accountability

I sure hope the secular world swoops down and does the job then.

My heart goes out to them and to the families of the victimized, but not to the leaders who have been lying and covering up their corruption from the very beginning of the IHOP, Vineyard, KCF, and other like movements.

I don't read or trust secular sources. Nor do I rely on the world to govern the things of God. My heart goes out to all man. I will have to agree with my brother Cee. Jesus Bless you all.

Hopefully you don't need to be an eyewitness to murder to believe that it usually comes from an ungodly source or influence. Most news is reported by secular sources. But to help you along where you are, here are a few of many Christian sources from insiders. Enjoy:

1. "Herrington tells a story of being rebuked <by IHOP sub-cult> for questioning Deaton. ‘Tyler is the apostle of Southwestern,’ he was told, ‘you need to do whatever he tells you!’ Yet I could tell countless stories of how students who voiced disagreements with teachers at IHOP’s Bible school, my alma mater IHOPU, were treated in similar fashion. Many were reduced to tears; I was compared to heretics; a friend was told, ‘I’m fighting on the Lord’s side, whose side are you fighting on?’ and most pointedly one teacher said, ‘The angel came to Mike <Bickle>, not you; who do you think we are going to listen to?’ (Kendall Beachey, IHOPer and friend of Deaton and group members: What Rolling Stone Didn&#8217;t Tell You About Tyler Deaton | The Cosmic Cathedral)

2. "When I was 27, experiencing 2 incredibly stressful events, the people I was in community with, had even started a church with, could sit for hours singing and praising and prophesying <at IHOP>, but never asked me how I was doing. They would drive 90 minutes to the nearest prayer room, where God showed up on schedule every Tuesday night. They would seek out God’s presence to soak, and preach the need for prayer and revival. We were exhorted to ‘drag people across the finish line’ because the end was so close. And meanwhile, I was dying." (Caris Adel, wounded ex-IHOPer: How IHOP Made Me Hate God - Caris Adel)

3. "I really followed the teachings of IHOP. Let me say up front though, that I never got as involved as those in the two articles. I thank God that I realized the problems in the church before it got that far. Even so, I ignored so much of my life to immerse myself in the movement... During one of the sessions, Mike Bickle spoke and made a blatant change to scripture to back up something he was talking about. Stan showed me the passage and we both were puzzled as to why he would just lie in front of everyone. We mentioned it to another in the group and he smiled as us like we were children and told us not to question Mr. Bickle’s authority. That made no sense to me! If he is lying up on stage and misleading thousands of people, how can we not question him?" (Melanie Fannin, ex-IHOP groupie: Bad Fruit from the &#8220;House of Prayer&#8221; | Rambling Geek)

4. "We also see the making of a cult leader… who may or may not have had a sociopathic disposition prior to becoming a student at IHOPU, but whose evil within learned to thrive in an environment that fostered further development in deception, as Kendall Bechey bravely exposes. In my experience, the environment of the supernatural is an open invitation for evil's mask to operate semi-openly as well as off to the side, as in Deaton's example." (Susan Deborah Schiller, Christian, spiritual abuse survivor: The Perfect Prey | What Kind of Woman Does a Sociopath Attract? | What May Happen When You Leave a Sociopath | What Happened to Bethany and Tyler Deaton)

5. "From my experience, IHOP and other NAR-style groups tend to draw obsessive, over-the-top personalities; When obsessiveness is expressed in a devotion to God tack, it’s seen as a feature rather than a bug. I can see the Dentons fitting in all too well in some of the more ‘out-there’ small groups. In 20/20 hindsight Tyler Denton was an accident looking for a time and place to happen; a same-sex-attracted obsessive with a appetite for the supernatural finds a honorable outlet in a NAR group. His obsession marks him as spiritually gifted and rises in the ranks and lets him become essentially a small-scale cult leader with in the group." (Rick Heibert-Mark Byron, Christian author and commenter: http://www.benedictionblogson.com/2...se-of-prayer-for-the-death-of-bethany-deaton/)

6. "After Tyler returned from the conference, his experiences with the supernatural seemed to intensify dramatically. As we walked across campus, he would see an army of demons carrying banners in front of the library. At the end of January, God revealed to him that his calling in life was to be an apostle and train God’s ‘final people’... I was profoundly affected by IHOP’s teachings... Before joining the <IHOP> prayer group, I had been a fairly tolerant person. Now I was different. I was belligerent toward my gay and atheist friends. I picked fights and insulted them viciously. But I felt justified; I thought they were blind to God’s truth." (Boze Herrington, insider from Deaton's group, main witness-reporter, IHOPer: The Seven Signs You're in a Cult - Boze Herrington - The Atlantic)

You get the point… hopefully. There are at least hundreds of 'negative' Christian reports about IHOP already. Now that murder happens and the secular world reports on that too (this isn’t the first time IHOP has been in the secular news for scandal; but someone has to report it), biased Christians want to deny the truth. When we’re biased to the point we justify defending the guilty (and condemning the innocent), we aren’t like the world; we’re at least two (often three) times worse. I hope Cee takes some 'time out' and reads some of these articles from wounded people. I never knew a good person or organization to continually wound people. It never happens.

Jan 6, 2012
This is what happens when people are led by emotions more than by solid theology and the Bible. It makes it easier for the wolves to take hold.
The basic 'mood' of modern Christianity facilitates the superstar mindset; some movements (like the Charismatic and Prophetic) take this self-centered state of mind to a new level. Read my response to Sleepay; at least two of the authors acknowledge that the Charismatic environment tends to encourage as well as facilitate the presence of wolves. Going further, one author writes that it was actually IHOP that turned Tyler Deaton the unknown into Tyler Deaton the famous-perhaps-soon-infamous Tyler Deaton. These types of emotions-led churches bring out the worst in people and promote pride, arrogance, and a basic inability to reason. And because of Charismania, lots of Evangelical and other churches avoid the supernatural like the plague and totally deny its relevance and legitimacy for today.

Jan 6, 2012
2Cor.2:17 we are unlike so many that corrupt (sell for cash) the word of God....

Don't just pick on one group. They're all corrupting the word for fun and profit. Wake me up when you get there.
Lol. I'm there already. IHOP and other likeminded brethren churches and organizations just make it so painfully obvious that something is wrong. As I said before, I am very happy that the secular world is reporting on these kinds of things. It will get worse and worse, and these Starbucks churches and iPhone Christians who tried so hard to be 'relevant to the world' will find that the world hates them and they're on their own. As for what you mention above, that's deeper. Most people can see corruption (as surfaced at IHOP) when it's on the surface, but not when it's in the heart or not apparently different from what everyone else considers normal, good, or acceptable. Here's the word for the fact that they (the ministers, those who minister the Word) are all (which basically translates to about/at least 90%) "corrupting the Word for fun and profit":

1. "From the least of them even to the greatest of them, everyone is given to covetousness; and from the prophet to the priest, everyone deals falsely. They have also healed the hurt of My people slightly, saying, 'Peace, peace!' when there is no peace" (Jer. 6:13-14).

2. "From the least even to the greatest everyone is given to covetousness; from the prophet even to the priest, everyone deals falsely. For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of My people slightly, saying, 'Peace, peace!' when there is no peace" (Jer. 8:10-11).

3. "[The prophets] lead My people astray, saying, 'Peace,' when there is no peace, and when a flimsy wall is built, they cover it with whitewash" (Eze. 13:10).

The summary of such leadership is that they say nothing is wrong when it's all wrong (will the IHOP ministers please stand up); they say, "Peace, peace" when there is no peace. That test is generally able to distinguish pretty quickly what minister is godly and what minister isn't.

Cee

May 14, 2010
Your articles are basically...

1. They devoted themselves to God too much.

2. They had a big problem with gay people that they didn't have before.

3. There was a guy who was upset because his friends would worship, but didn't ask him how he was doing.

4. There was a guy who was lead incorrectly and rather than be corrected in love, thought himself higher than himself.

5. A couple people didn't agree with Mike's interpretation of Scripture so they said he was lying in front of thousands of people and other people didn't agree with their interpretation.

This is my basic summary of your sources. All of these things can be said about any church unfortunately.

It's fine, if you think this is a life producing topic than carry right on. I don't feel like it is, but I also don't have as close involvement as you do, if you have indeed been there.

But I have seen people's emotional agenda pull out stories from 2 yrs in the past before because of something they don't agree with they look for anything to back them up. That's what I felt this thread was accomplishing.

And as I've said, I don't have a ton of knowledge about this. I don't know Mike personally, I don't know what he teaches, I haven't been to IHOP, but I do know people who have been there and have only positive things to say.

I have personally met ministers that people think are "heretical" which has become the religious way of saying my theology interpretations are right and theirs aren't. I have met these men of God, seen their heart, seen their devotion to God and people, and then seen other people who slander them because they don't understand a few things.

I'm not saying this is you, but I am saying that its very easy to criticize. I know many people who don't agree with the things I teach, but usually people who know me personally and have done life with me, start to understand my heart, and why I believe the things I do.

I'd like to see more counterbalance to what good IHOP is doing, if you are okay with sharing good things, and praying for the people that you think are in gross error, then I think that's a good model for us to follow that has an agenda of love.

And I hope you don't think I'm attacking you, as really I am attacking the thought process of arm chair criticism. Which says I know better than you do, even though you've spent your entire life dedicated to God and the church, while I sit on forums or amongst my friends and speak bad things.

For instance, I have always thought deliverance should be done a certain way, but then I started meeting people who are in the trenches doing it week after week, year after year. Sure I might not agree, but I need to honor their life of dedication. And I curbed my "Scriptural interpretation" and started to be open to them. I still don't agree on everything they do, but my communication about them has certainly changed.

You seem like a very honest person and I have nothing against you. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt. The Holy Spirit will guide you as He wills.

C.

Atwood

May 1, 2014
THUS IHOP IS NOT THE INTERNATIONAL HOUSE OF PANCAKES!

I wonder if this thread needs a change of title. I thought this was about IHOP, a restaurant chain.

Atwood

May 1, 2014
I can't agree that saying something is heretical just means one disagrees. There are many issues on which one disagrees that is not heresy. Heretical means something so seriously wrong that they are not considered Christian, so wrong that separation must occur. So for example, I disagree with infant baptism, but I don't consider Presbyterians heretics for having it. Now denial of the Trinity is heretical.

J

Jda016

Andrew Strom (a New Zealand pastor) used to be apart of the "Kansas City Prophets" and broke with them years ago. He gives very powerful testimony against the abuses that have arisen from this group and has written books and articles about it.

(Just FYI as another source of info)

Jan 6, 2012
Your articles are basically...

1. They devoted themselves to God too much.

2. They had a big problem with gay people that they didn't have before.

3. There was a guy who was upset because his friends would worship, but didn't ask him how he was doing.

4. There was a guy who was lead incorrectly and rather than be corrected in love, thought himself higher than himself.

5. A couple people didn't agree with Mike's interpretation of Scripture so they said he was lying in front of thousands of people and other people didn't agree with their interpretation.

This is my basic summary of your sources. All of these things can be said about any church unfortunately.

It's fine, if you think this is a life producing topic than carry right on. I don't feel like it is, but I also don't have as close involvement as you do, if you have indeed been there.

But I have seen people's emotional agenda pull out stories from 2 yrs in the past before because of something they don't agree with they look for anything to back them up. That's what I felt this thread was accomplishing.

And as I've said, I don't have a ton of knowledge about this. I don't know Mike personally, I don't know what he teaches, I haven't been to IHOP, but I do know people who have been there and have only positive things to say.

I have personally met ministers that people think are "heretical" which has become the religious way of saying my theology interpretations are right and theirs aren't. I have met these men of God, seen their heart, seen their devotion to God and people, and then seen other people who slander them because they don't understand a few things.

I'm not saying this is you, but I am saying that its very easy to criticize. I know many people who don't agree with the things I teach, but usually people who know me personally and have done life with me, start to understand my heart, and why I believe the things I do.

I'd like to see more counterbalance to what good IHOP is doing, if you are okay with sharing good things, and praying for the people that you think are in gross error, then I think that's a good model for us to follow that has an agenda of love.

And I hope you don't think I'm attacking you, as really I am attacking the thought process of arm chair criticism. Which says I know better than you do, even though you've spent your entire life dedicated to God and the church, while I sit on forums or amongst my friends and speak bad things.

For instance, I have always thought deliverance should be done a certain way, but then I started meeting people who are in the trenches doing it week after week, year after year. Sure I might not agree, but I need to honor their life of dedication. And I curbed my "Scriptural interpretation" and started to be open to them. I still don't agree on everything they do, but my communication about them has certainly changed.

You seem like a very honest person and I have nothing against you. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt. The Holy Spirit will guide you as He wills.

C.
Warning: LONG (lol)

Our culture tends to demonize the victim or anyone who admits, “Look, I’m not having fun anymore.” I reported what people have experienced and witnessed firsthand at IHOP; to say they’re just somehow mistaken is the product of our loveless society. I have been connected to IHOP in Atlanta, yes, via the Atlanta Vineyard which I used to attend and where at least one of the pastors was accused of sexually abusing at least one of the daughters of a friend of mine in the church. Her husband thought she was crazy, because our culture molds people to reject anything that says, “Look, I’m not having fun anymore.” This isn’t just a two-year old story but a daily story; like the moon, it is ever present but is only visible at certain times of the day (so to speak).

The people I have personally known who have positive things to say about IHOP, Bethel Church in Redding, CA, etc. are people of a very disturbed character. Some of them are young and naïve, but the ones who’ve been there long enough take on a poisonous nature. However, you have to put their character next to certain psychological suggestions (personality profiles) or else you will probably totally miss it. For example, we’ve all heard about the Jezebel spirit (which operates unrestrained in these poisoned and bitter churches and which was at operation in Tyler Deaton); you cannot kow a person is functioning in this spirit unless you know the traits of this spirit. But for those who need help, the secular world has also recognized this ‘spirit’ and has given it several names one of which is Narcissistic Personality Disorder. If you meet such a person, you will naturally miss it because it is pervasive in our society; but you won’t miss it if you put the person next to a symptoms checklist of the spirit or ‘disorder’.

Accusing and condemning people is widespread and too easy; I naturally am drawn to a challenge (doing things differently) not to what is easy. Even if I wasn’t a Christian, I’m still lucid enough to know that there is little progress without unity; and I’m progressive-minded and so must necessarily seek unity and togetherness, not to tear down this person and that ministry. Only fools (the blind) do such a thing thinking that they will be justified before God even if they were correct. But unity has to be in the Spirit (literally, ‘within one house’: Ps. 133; like-spirited in Jesus Christ and so drawn together in Him) and not because we happen to believe and like the same things which is a unity built on sand that will effervesce when the hot sun of trial and hardship fully breaks over the horizon. (Do you think these signs and wonders seeking churches will hold together when the churches come under persecution. Do you believe they really care about each other. If you do, it is necessary that you grab a dictionary and define some words (such as ‘love’ and ‘unity’), that you google poisonous personality profiles, and that you re-consult with your Bible for what Jesus says about the last days—that the Christian Love of Christians will grow cold.)

It’s not about those who agree or disagree with what you teach. In Jn. 2:23-25, Jesus wouldn’t take into His confidence (receive or trust) those who agreed with what He taught, because He knew people’s hearts (the ones who praised Him at the triumphal entry not long after were shouting, “Crucify Him!” Some movie, music, and other stars believe their audiences love them and then later realize that their audience doesn't care for them but their entertainment (and their facade); this causes some of them to go into depression, commit suicide, some to get into drugs, some into all kinds of self-destructive behaviors (we see them on TV and hear about them often). But if you know the heart of people, you don’t have to take them in (trust them) when they agree with your teachings and throw them out when they don’t; that way, your rise and fall won't be based on others. So, it isn’t about good intentions in the heart when it comes to teaching; it’s about the integrity of God’s Word and walking in that, then letting ‘whosoever will’ to come and ‘whosoever won’t’ to go away and save you trouble. It’s about God’s heart (Nature) and His good intentions and faithfulness and ability to keep His Word; we don’t have the power, and usually don’t have the goodness, to be good (not even with good intentions) nor are we faithful (trustworthy); but God is, and so it’s about how people view Him, not how people view us: “Why do you say, oh Jacob, and complain, oh Israel, ‘My way is hidden from the Lord, and my cause is disregarded by my God (i.e. "God doesn’t understand my struggles, and He hasn’t dealt with me in the integrity of His Word")’?... Even youths [have a limit on ability] and young men [must eventually fail and admit inability]. But those who wait on the Lord (who believe/trust in God) will renew their strength (will draw from/experience His ability); they will mount up on wings like eagles (God will set them higher (favor) than others); they will run and not grow weary (supernatural ability and energy in ministry like Paul: “I labored more than they… not I but the Grace of God in me”), they will walk <with God> and not faint (He will support them)” (40:27-31). God deals only in integrity; but if someone disagrees or agrees with what you teach, it isn’t about what you teach or your good intentions; it’s about what God has taught and His goodness (His ability to do good and not just intend it).

As for praying for IHOP (etc.), that’s the Lord’s problem, and He will lead people accordingly. I was praying for fallen pastors in a small church (and we know that the bigger the ministry/power, the greater corruption likely: “Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely”) and the Lord told me to stop praying for them. It sounded like Him, but I was of the belief that God is always telling us to ‘do ministry’ and ‘do good’; He isn’t. He showed me two passages to prove that He was the One telling me not to pray for Christians:

1. “If you see a brother or sister committing a sin that doesn’t lead to death, you should pray, and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death.There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying to pray about that (1Jn. 5:16). John is talking about praying for and desisting from praying for Christians, discerning correctly who to pray for and who to leave alone (“hating even the garment stained by the flesh”—Jude 1:23). When we pray for those we shouldn't pray for, we are in sin and aren't the good people we think ourselves to be.

2. After King Saul rebelled (not just sinned, but rebelled), refusing to obey and submit to God, God rejected him as king. Samuel, his father in the Lord, was very grieved about this; we can safely surmise that he prayed about it afterwards. (We know he prayed about it when God first told him He’d rejected Saul (1Sam. 15:10-11).) After delivering the word, Samuel continued to grieve, but God said to him, “How long will you mourn for Saul since I have rejected him as king?” God told him to change the focus of his ministry from Saul to David, a king who would actually do God’s will. (1Sam. 16:1.)

I am not going to waste time praying for people who aren’t just deceived but who actually love being deceived and refuse the truth but teach against it (many of these Charismatic leaders). However, God have mercy on the innocently deceived among their followers. I used to be one of them.

I understand what you’re saying about the danger of sitting back and condemning people in the field trying to do God’s work. I’ve done that before when I didn’t understand this passage: “Judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes who will bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveals the counsels (motives) of the heart” (1Cor. 4:5). That basically means that while you go about judging (i.e. discerning which is natural), do not pass a final sentence until the Lord comes (until He speaks to you, gives you clarity or discernment on it). My judgment about the pastors I mentioned above was that they were just wayward… until the Lord came who told me they’ve chosen apostasy and will not repent. It’s not wrong to judge (have an opinion about something), but it’s unwise to pass a final sentence when the Lord hasn’t told you a fuller or whole story. Regarding deliverance ministries (and every other ministry), it’s important to distinguish between lack and disobedience. Lack is just when there is little or not enough revelation on how ministry is to be done which happens very often (e.g. Paul said, “[This revelation] was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed”—Eph. 3:5); there needs to be Grace there. But disobedience is when the ministry/minister isn’t ‘doing it right’ because they are rebellious and don’t want to walk obediently with God, not because they lack revelation. God knows already who will walk with Him and who won’t; we, in the meantime, have to depend on Him to navigate what is of Him and what isn’t. That is our responsibility, and that’s where God’s Word (the Bible) is able to effortlessly distinguish every little thing, even between differing measures of righteousness and wrong (i.e. God’s Word isn’t just black and white; it also distinguishes every variation of color and character beyond the outward personality, and we know there are thousands of them). “God’s solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: ‘The Lord knows those who are His’ and ‘Everyone who confesses the Name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness’” (2Tim. 2:19).

Jan 6, 2012
I can't agree that saying something is heretical just means one disagrees. There are many issues on which one disagrees that is not heresy. Heretical means something so seriously wrong that they are not considered Christian, so wrong that separation must occur. So for example, I disagree with infant baptism, but I don't consider Presbyterians heretics for having it. Now denial of the Trinity is heretical.
I don't know what this applies to, but I stand emphatically by my statement that IHOP, Vineyard, KCF, NAR, and all their links (all of them) are defiled and full of heresy. This testimony of hundreds now (thank God; God really is moving) tells of some of these heresies: Julie&#8217;s story | The Grey Coats. Like Julie, the woman who tells the story in the linked article, the Lord also 'led me out', but it was the Atlanta Vineyard He led me out, a place of veiled satanism (the Vineyard churches along with other similar churches are fronts for satanists and satanism) and apostasy... and Starbucks of course.

There is no shortage of evidence that Mike Bickle and the rest of the Kansas City-Vineyard-NAR people are preaching 'another gospel' that is tearing down the Church and raising in its place the Anti-Christ (i.e. the spirit of Anti-Christ). There are now many former iPhone Christians who can't stand these Starbucks churches... and since when do iPhones and Starbucks not go together? Apparently, God's Grace is reaching some people and pulling them out of these defiled and apostate movements and ministries. Maybe I will start a thread about what is really going on -- i.e. why in the world these churches and ministries deceive people with the most unconvincing things and why these ministries will not 'fall' (people will continue to be drawn to and flock to them) until the Lord comes. There is a great deal going on behind the scenes that explain Todd Bentley and the 'Fakeland Revival', the Arnotts and the Toronto Blessing, the Brownsville Revival, etc. Most of these movements are not from God nor does He approve them; they are often the supernatural works of deceiving spirits. People were doing demonic miracles in the OT, even to the extent of replicating some signs that God Himself did; let's not think that as we got smarter and more sophisticated with the times, the occultists among us didn't get 'wiser', more powerful, and more sophisticated along with the times.

Jan 6, 2012
Andrew Strom (a New Zealand pastor) used to be apart of the "Kansas City Prophets" and broke with them years ago. He gives very powerful testimony against the abuses that have arisen from this group and has written books and articles about it.

(Just FYI as another source of info)
I know Strom, and I pray that God will protect him for having left such a 'secret society' (i.e. an organization that is very negatively, but not apparently, influential in people's lives). The link to his first book which I read about breaking from the KCF prophets: http://www.amazon.com/TRUE-FALSE-RE...8&qid=1404332256&sr=8-2&keywords=andrew+strom

Here's a short video interview with Strom regarding leaving the Prophetic Movement, the Lakeland Revival, etc.:

[video=youtube;B-Y5R_raf6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Y5R_raf6M[/video]