Is Facebook Making Us Lonely?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

IDEAtor

Aug 15, 2012
Facebook make us lonely?
Facebook is a tool that is used in many ways.
Anything in excess, except for love, is harmful.
--And even perfect love can lead to a cross--
My 82 year old grandmother is able to keep track of her various great-grandchildren, thanks to Facebook's family connectivity.
She does not have internet; but she has a Facebook account :)
Considering my grandmother's case, she is flooded with information when she checks.
Someone is laughing, having a baby, partying like they have no regard for anyone, lost a job, got a job, died even.

Facebook reminds us that life is vast and we are comparatively very small; but, the tool mentioned can also be good reminder of daily Bible verses, long-lost friends and family, and a trove of good-fun photos and messages.

No, Facebook does not make one lonely.
It just reminds us, constantly.

G

ginachr

I think it doesn't. If you want to meet someone meet them, you can use Facebook to ask them to meet you. It's a great way to see what are some people doing - you have a conversation starter. :D
It reminds me of the situation when everyone was getting cellphones, when I was teenager, and some people were saying that now with cell phones, people don't even see each other, but cell phone was just a way of communication and easy sharing. Just as Facebook is, although offers a lot more ways of sharing things.

Dotann

Jan 28, 2012
FB is a great way for those of us who cant get out and meet and greet as many ASSUME everyone can! Assumption is a dangerous word! Its even more dangerous when you allow it to direct you not just into your talk but your walk too. That is, not everyone can do and be as everyone else unfortunately. Oh how i wish i could get out and meet as i used too! :(

For me, i am pretty much house bound without my husbands help. I am a social person, and love interacting with others. I also try to use wisdom in what i choose to do too.

But much like when the TV or Car was first invented, people had many crazy ideas and views that it was something from the devil or that they too would pull a person away from the Lord to such a degree that their were people trying to sway others from buying cars, and TVs. Preaching they were damned and would loose Salvation if they ever rode in such apparatuses! The same is for the internet and anything we do today, for people can form opinions toward anything to it seem as it these objects are our authorities and we submit to them, instead of acknowledging the opposite.

People need to know that we have to stand on our own faith and use the power God gave to us to live as God told us so that we have the authority over all of these things that is IF we choose to use it correctly and walk away from things wisely and turn the channels on the TV when something wrong comes on or to drive the car as in steer it to good choices or bad. For in all of this, WE HOLD THE POWER AS GOD IS WITH US IN ALL WE DO!

When i use FB, i know i have every ability to use my mouse and click my button as i am doing now. I take control knowing God is the one who is with me then as He is with me now! So if my God can support and help me now, what make me think He cant help me to not enable me to be wise with other choices in my life? See, my God says, through ALL things He is with me and give me strength, including FB, and you know what? He does! I have faith in this and He has never failed me yet!

I have met wonderful people on FB. I have my selection options on high and use a lot of scrutiny too.

I admit that the language and posts are more than appropriate for me on my page if i don't sometimes moderate it all, on which i do but its worth it to me. I am careful who i select as friends and what my friends post on my page. For what people think is most important to them, they WILL put effort in. Including your walk. If one says, they love the Lord and yet no effort is shown, then the fruit is slim pickens... But God knows where one places a persons efforts...

All i know is, for me, its worth it to take the time and care to pray for those who need it, befriend those who are in need of a friend, and have a laugh or two with those who need to smile. Many a time, this has developed into a way for the Lord to help someone to accept Him as their personal Savior too, and I am so thankful to be apart of this! God can work in ways no one can ever dream. I thank Him every day for this opportunity!

I do know, i am ready to open my self up to God and say, Hear i am Lord, Use me how ever you wish! I am not going to question the way, but trust Him that He knows best. I am so thankful that God has lifted me and helped me during this time as it has deepened my walk with Him, and shown me that none of us are exempt from thinking we are beyond His grasps, as God can use anything and anyone to make His Word known! And for that i praise Him every day! :)

M

MissCris

I use facebook mainly for keeping in contact with my family, as we are scattered at inconvenient distances from each other. There's always e-mail, or snail mail, of course, but that would mean like, communicating with them on a deeper level than "Look what I burned for dinner!"

...and honestly, who wants to TALK to their family?

A lot of my facebook friends (family members) post pictures of food they are growing, food they are cooking, or food they are eating.

So basically, what I'm saying is, facebook makes me hungry, not lonely.

:D

my_adonai_

Mar 19, 2012
Facebook should have a "terminate your account" option.

F

Fubario

If you post pictures on facebook they remain there in storage for three years and then they might get deleted, not too sure.

Delete facebook and get some sunshine, we were made for the outdoors, not to stay indoors all the time.

S

Share55

I think f/b works both ways. I see lonely people on there who are safe behind a screen and a keyboard being set free to express themselves, seek advice, share what they know etc.. etc. and then there are those who are lonely in life who go to facebook and end up depressed because they see people they know meeting people all over the world, having fun and there they sit still looking at others having fun while they have nil. Those types are very hard to draw out of their shell. Most don't do much with their life or else are in a position so different from the other contacts they don't know what to say or do.

I have been on f/b since it's inception and surprised at how far they've come and how much they have devolved :p
I have met people from all over the world, joined countless groups, belong to support discussion boards and play games. I don't care for drama but if I see someone struggling through all their drama I comfort them, build them up and drop pointers if the sit. calls for it.
I used to say I was shy but I remember the school trying to say my grandson needed a learning assistant because he didn't speak too well and couldn't express himself fully at the age of 7. I told the counsellor that could never be possible as he was my grandson and I talk too much. IF I ask them a question and they answer then they get a 1000 more questions to answer because I have to know all the details. After all that talking they have to be able to speak well so discount it to being only at the new school for a couple of months and still shy (which he is but if he is like me that too shall pass) ;)
As my late husband used to say, Life is what you make it and don't be so hard on yourself.

I

isaria

Depends, do you have friends or contacts?
If so , do they write to you or are they "just there" ?

If you on face book with no friends then it may be lonely.
And as Nancyer said , better have quality than add everyone without knowing what it may be.

May 3, 2013
I had some accounts closed, but these are never erased nor deleted... I met some people using it, but some are a fake profiles. That´s why I name it FaKebook.

See the logo I designed: fake.jpg

Last edited: