IS GOD SOVEREIGN

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
God isn't subject to the will of man but He does not force us to do His will. It wasn't Gods will that Adam ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil but He didn't force Adam not to. God doesn't force us to not sin or to sin. It is our free choice.

Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Nov 22, 2015
I can see why you would believe in that way of thinking......it is God's will that not should perish and believe the gospel...so something is up!

But I will stick with this.." Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven"....God wants His will to be done on this earth as it is in heaven.

...it's obvious we have opposite view points and that is ok...we are both allowed to have them too....it's ok..I don't think either one of us is from the devil because we view some things differently....:).....

I'm off to bed so you have a great rest of your night! Bless you

Look, if it is God's will that everyone be healthy and prosperous, you have to contend with the fact that not many are healthy and prosperous. Therefore, you have to conclude that God's will is being usurped by human will and effort, thus robbing God of his sovereignty. The logical conclusion to this is that God is a simple bystander who has no control over his creation and is subject to the evil of man.

Nov 22, 2015
Amen!.....That's right..we do have a choice..we chose as believers to believe in Him and what He says is true and what Jesus bought and paid for with His life and blood.....we choose to believe Him no matter what the circumstances are screaming the very opposite of His word is saying about situations.

We live by faith.....not by sight... But God will eventually have His perfect will done on this earth when He comes back and we are going to watch Him do it in awe as we see His mighty power in demonstration.. WOW..what a day that is going to be!

God isn't subject to the will of man but He does not force us to do His will. It wasn't Gods will that Adam ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil but He didn't force Adam not to. God doesn't force us to not sin or to sin. It is our free choice.

Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I am saying that we are not to exalt circumstances and experiences over truth. It is without a doubt not God's will for us to be sick. It violates Jesus work here on the earth at the cross.

Why aren't all healed?...why aren't all saved when they hear the gospel?..the answer is most likely in there. We see through a glass darkly and when we see Him we will know why. Still Jesus is very plain in His representation of the nature of the Father and He did come to do His will.

Jesus is perfect theology. Jesus came and revealed the will of the Father on this earth. I know this conflicts with what our experiences tell us but it does not negate the truth of Christ revealing the will of the Father. We are elevating circumstances and experiences over truth.

I am quite aware of the Greek and how the words are used in the verses I quoted. But you, sadly, are so caught up in the Word Faith nonsense, your theology is so rigid, and totally leaves out the parts of the Bible that you don't like. And twists parts that you do like.

Suffering can certainly be sickness. It is an affliction. If I am not afflicted by RA, then I will eat my hat! In fact, the real problem goes with your shallow doctrine goes back to the poor use of Isa. 53.

"It is without a doubt not God's will for us to be sick."

This is the beginning and foundation of your incredibly bad doctrine. It is wrong because of the following reasons:

1. some poor flat-out wrong interpretations of key texts
2. selective use of texts
3. failure to have a wholistic biblical view of things, esp. a failure to understand the essential framework of the New Testament writers.

The aim of all biblical interpretation is the "plain meaning" of the text. What is meant by this is the original meaning, that which the author plainly intended and and the original readers plainly understood.

Although the Bible is a book for all seasons, and speaks out of the past directly to our present situation, it does so because it first spoke to them in their situation. Therefore the first task of interpretation is not to find out what it says to us, but to find out what it originally said to them. God's Word to us is not a new word, never before discovered; rather it must be the same word that He originally spoke back then and there. And this is the only legitimate Word to be heard in Scripture.

All of this must be insisted upon because the basic biblical failure of the "perfect health" evangelists is the interpretation of their primary texts. They simply fail to do adequate exegesis, which has to do with determining the meaning of a text in its original context.

Some of the proof texts that Word Faith evangelists use when referring to healing include esp. Isa. 53:4 (quoted in Matt. 8:17) and Isa. 53:5, (quoted in 1 Peter 2:24)

From these verses, and others which I will not get into here, it is highly questionable as to whether the Bible teaches that healing is provided for in the atonement.

In fact the AoG state clearly that although healing can be "provided for" in the atonement, because the atonement brought release from the consequences of sin; nonetheless, since "we have not yet received the redemption of our bodies" suffering and death (and the sickness that often brings death!) are still our lot until the final resurrection.

There are many texts which tell us that sin has been overcome by Christ's death and resurrection, in fact, there is NO text that explicitly says the same about healing in the Bible, even Isa. 53, and it's NT citations as noted above.

Matthew's use of Isa. 53:4 does not even refer to the cross, rather he clearly sees the text as being fulfilled in Jesus' earthly ministry. This is made certain by both the context and by his choice of Greek verbs in his own unique translation of the Hebrew. (ἔλαβεν elaben= he took; ἐβάστασεν ebastasen = he removed)

The citation of Isa. 53:5 in 1 Peter, on the other hand does not refer to physical healing. The usage here is metaphorical, plain and simple. In a context in which slaves are urged to submit to their evil masters - even if it means suffering for it - Peter appeals to the example of Christ, which Christian slaves are to follow. This special appeal to Christ, beginning in verse 21, is filled with allusions to and citations of Isaiah 53, all of which refer to Christ having suffered unjustly as the source of the slave's redemption from sin.

Thus Peter says, "He himself bore our sins, ... that we might die to sin. He then goes on: "By his wounds you have been healed (Isa. 53:5) for you were as sheep going astray. (53:6) The allusions to verses 5 & 6, joined by for and referring to "sheep going astray," plus the change to the past tense, all make it abundantly clear that "healing" here is a metaphor for being restored to health from the sickness of their sins. Such a a metaphorical usage would be natural for Peter, since sin as "wound," "injury" or "sickness" and the "healing" of such "sickness" are thorough going images in the OT see - 2 Chronciles 714; Psalm :2; Isaiah 1:5-6; Jeremiah 30:12-13; Nahum 3:10.

Furthermore,the OT citations in 1 Peter tend rather closely to follow the Septuagint even when this translation differs from the Hebrew. In fact, the LXX had already translated Isa. 53:4 metaphorically ("He himself bore our sins" rather than "our sickness")

The final points are that Matthew clearly saw Isa. 53:4 as referring to physical healing, BUT as part of the Messiah's ministry, not the atonement. Peter saw the "healing" in Isa. 53: as being metaphorical and thus referring to the healing of our sin sickness. Thus, neither NT references sees the healing of our sin as referring to physical healing in the atonement.

As for Isaiah, what did he himself intend? Almost certainly the first reference is metaphorical, as the Septuagint, the Targums and Peter all recognize - Israel was diseased; she was grievously wounded for her sins (Isa. 1:6-7). Isaiah 53 in context refers to the healing of the wounds and disease of sin.

The Bible therefore does NOT explicitly teach that healing is provided for in the atonement, although God can and does heal. I won't get into the egarious claims of the Health and Wealh heresy that it is never God's will to be sick, as you so erroneously claim, or that God must heal when asked, or that it is part of the price Jesus paid on Calvary which is patently false.

By the way, I got this from the pamphlet "The Disease of the Health and Wealth Gospels" by Gordon D. Fee. He is a premier scholar of the New Testment, and also a Pentecostal. He is not against healing, but he does believe that there is sickness in this world, and while God heals, it is not provided for in the atonement, as so many including you Grace777 have misquoted (or shall I say, misunderstood) so many times. I would urge you to order this pamphlet or some of his other writings.

Nov 22, 2015
I fully understand the need of some to take healing out of the work of Christ. I could go on and fill this thread with loads of scriptures showing where healing is part of the finished work of Christ but you have already made your mind up. And that is perfectly fine for you to believe what you want.

We will just have to agree to disagree...and that is perfectly fine. I believe in letting both beliefs be shown by scripture and then people can decide for themselves as the Holy Spirit reveals Jesus to us.

Even in the Old Covenant God said that none of these diseases will come upon you if you follow my Law and Hebrews states we have a better covenant build upon better promises.

...Jesus is perfect theology. He came to reveal the will and true nature of our Father. I have posted many scriptures in the other thread to show without a doubt that Jesus healed ALL who came to Him. It is without a doubt God's will to heal us and Christ did die for our sin, healing and wholeness in every aspect of life.

Whenever we choose experience and circumstances over the word of God - we will not be receiving all that the Lord has for us. Peter walking on the water is a perfect example of living the Christian life. When he started to look at the circumstances instead of Jesus and what He said "Come"....he began to sink. This applies to all areas of our lives if we take our eyes off of what Jesus has said and chose to look instead at the situation.

We cannot elevate personal experience over what is clearly shown in the life of Jesus what the will of the Father is, no matter how much human philosophy we employ to negate the truth that Jesus revealed of the Father.

As far as theologians go.....whatever seminary people go to, they become a product of what they are being taught. If one goes to a seminary that teaches the gifts of the Spirit are not for today then they will teach that gifts are not for today ( or that it is not God's will to heal ) ( until the Holy Spirit shows them otherwise ). They will have their Greek and Hebrew scholars to back up what they say.

There are also those that do believe in the gifts ( or that it is God's will to heal ) and they too have their own Greek and Hebrew scholars. The reality is that the scriptures need to be interpreted by the Holy Spirit and His job is to reveal Christ to us and His finished work on our behalf.

The main problem with the concept that "God allows things to happen" and thus it must mean it's His will for it to happen, is very damaging to our lives IMO. This concept will create a passivity to just accept everything the enemy throws at us.

I am so sorry that you have been attacked by the enemy and the many other brothers and sisters in Christ. I always pray Paul's prayers for all of us as the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ - the revelation of Him and of our Father is what all of us really need.

It grieves me to see how the enemy is destroying our brethren when our Lord has already provided the provision needed in every aspect of our lives. But everyone is free to chose to believe whatever they want. The Lord loves us all fiercely and there are no second class children in His kingdom.

I bless you and wish that you be made whole and that your family be protected and go on to demonstrate the love and grace of the kingdom of our Lord to a hurt and dying world.

I am quite aware of the Greek and how the words are used in the verses I quoted. But you, sadly, are so caught up in the Word Faith nonsense, your theology is so rigid, and totally leaves out the parts of the Bible that you don't like. And twists parts that you do like.

Josefnospam

May 29, 2014
I form the light and create darkness: I make peace and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Isaiah 45: 7

Our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased. Psalm 115:2

Nov 22, 2015
Psalm 135:6 (NASB)
[SUP]6 [/SUP] Whatever the LORD pleases, He does, In heaven and in earth, in the seas and in all deeps.

Daniel 4:35 (NASB)
[SUP]35 [/SUP] "All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, But He does according to His will in the host of heaven And among the inhabitants of earth; And no one can ward off His hand Or say to Him, 'What have You done?'

Josefnospam

May 29, 2014
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. Isaiah 45:7

Our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased. Psalm 115:2

Praise the Lord for his works.

Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness and for his wonderful works to the children of men. 4 times in Psalm 107

C

coby

If you were to go out and kill a bunch of people and God did not stop you, it would by default be his intent that you went out and killed those people for his purpose to be made manifest in some way. If this isn't true, he would have stopped you because no one can resist his will. The God you are presenting is more along the lines of the Gnostic gods or Aeons who are limited in might and power and subject to the will of man.
His will is in the Bible and also our part:

Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions,*and giving of thanks be made for all men,*2*for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.*3*For this*is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,*4*who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

This 'whatever happens is always God's will' is what Islam teaches. If I cross the road and die it was the will of Allah. If I don't it was not Allah's will.

C

coby

Btw how is God to stop someone from killing?
When the nazi's wanted to kill Jews and the family of Corrie ten Boom was obedient and rescued them He could stop some, but other christians said: no I don't want Jews in my house.
That was their will, not His will.
He wants everyone saved. It's in 1 Timothy but not everyone wants to serve Him and not everyone wants to pray fervently for the souls and share the gospel and do the great commission.

Josefnospam

May 29, 2014
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace: and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. Isaiah 45:7

But our God is in the heavens; he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased Psalm 115:2

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I fully understand the need of some to take healing out of the work of Christ. I could go on and fill this thread with loads of scriptures showing where healing is part of the finished work of Christ but you have already made your mind up. And that is perfectly fine for you to believe what you want.

We will just have to agree to disagree...and that is perfectly fine. I believe in letting both beliefs be shown by scripture and then people can decide for themselves as the Holy Spirit reveals Jesus to us.

Even in the Old Covenant God said that none of these diseases will come upon you if you follow my Law and Hebrews states we have a better covenant build upon better promises.

...Jesus is perfect theology. He came to reveal the will and true nature of our Father. I have posted many scriptures in the other thread to show without a doubt that Jesus healed ALL who came to Him. It is without a doubt God's will to heal us and Christ did die for our sin, healing and wholeness in every aspect of life.

Whenever we choose experience and circumstances over the word of God - we will not be receiving all that the Lord has for us. Peter walking on the water is a perfect example of living the Christian life. When he started to look at the circumstances instead of Jesus and what He said "Come"....he began to sink. This applies to all areas of our lives if we take our eyes off of what Jesus has said and chose to look instead at the situation.

We cannot elevate personal experience over what is clearly shown in the life of Jesus what the will of the Father is, no matter how much human philosophy we employ to negate the truth that Jesus revealed of the Father.

As far as theologians go.....whatever seminary people go to, they become a product of what they are being taught. If one goes to a seminary that teaches the gifts of the Spirit are not for today then they will teach that gifts are not for today ( or that it is not God's will to heal ) ( until the Holy Spirit shows them otherwise ). They will have their Greek and Hebrew scholars to back up what they say.

There are also those that do believe in the gifts ( or that it is God's will to heal ) and they too have their own Greek and Hebrew scholars. The reality is that the scriptures need to be interpreted by the Holy Spirit and His job is to reveal Christ to us and His finished work on our behalf.

The main problem with the concept that "God allows things to happen" and thus it must mean it's His will for it to happen, is very damaging to our lives IMO. This concept will create a passivity to just accept everything the enemy throws at us.

I am so sorry that you have been attacked by the enemy and the many other brothers and sisters in Christ. I always pray Paul's prayers for all of us as the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ - the revelation of Him and of our Father is what all of us really need.

It grieves me to see how the enemy is destroying our brethren when our Lord has already provided the provision needed in every aspect of our lives. But everyone is free to chose to believe whatever they want. The Lord loves us all fiercely and there are no second class children in His kingdom.

I bless you and wish that you be made whole and that your family be protected and go on to demonstrate the love and grace of the kingdom of our Lord to a hurt and dying world.

First, you obviously do not understand my testimony. When I first was saved I went to charismatic and Pentecostal Churches. I saw a lot of excesses, and not a lot of growth in character. After 15 years of reading the Bible ON MY OWN I realized I totally disagreed with the entire Charismatic Movement. That is not to say that I did not believe in gifts, it's just that I never really saw any being practiced, except babbling in tongues. Except once, when an evangelist spoke 4 words in Armenian, and a man and 27 members of his family got saved. That is tongues.

I also believe that God can heal when it is his will. What I do not see in the Bible anywhere is that it is God's will to heal everyone, and especially on command. I don't put God in a box, and neither should you! If you want to discuss Isa. 53, see my last post!

So a full 10 years after I left the charismatic churches, God called me to Seminary. I chose to go to a Baptist seminary because I knew it was a good academic and spiritual institution. My Seminary had people who were Mennonite, Reformed, Lutheran, Anglican, charismatic and quite a few varieties of Baptist. People attended that seminary, because it had such a good reputation for teaching and growing in God. So no, I was not influenced at all by what was being taught since my mind was made up.

To tell you the honest truth, charismatics and the gifts were a minor part of the curriculum. We were busy learning to interpret properly, and to read the Bible in the original languages, and to learn how to do ministry, from teaching and preaching, to counseling and how to disciple people to grow in Christ.

And for that matter, I took a course at another Seminary for transfer credit. It was a group of 5 different churches, ranging from Pentecostal, Mennonite, Evangelical Free, Baptist and I forget the other denomination. They all took the same core courses, with a church history in their own denomination thrown in. I knew a Pentecostal pastor who got his undergrad degree in a Pentecostal college and his MDiv in a Lutheran Seminary. He went on to become a rabbi in a Messanic congregation, he founded in an area where a lot of Jewish people lived.

If you actually knew anything about seminary, you would know that all of the orthodox mainstream denominations believe the same thing, because we all use the same Bible. But the Word Faith doesn't seem to want to be included in orthodox faith, so they have to found their own "seminaries" (and I use the term loosely!) to teach their incorrect doctrines. I am not a product of what I was taught in Seminary. Rather, I was taught to read the Bible for myself and correctly divide the Word of God. The authority of the believer is a very important Baptist doctrine, and I believe that we must study the Word to show ourselves approved.

My friend, who was an ordained Kenneth Copeland minister, and chose to believe God healed her when she got breast cancer, instead of getting treatment, and died 10 months later when the cancer spread. And this was a woman who condemned and brow beat me because I was not healed of my RA. I do not think that was God's plan for her, but she was so stubborn she chose to believe a lie from the devil and died because of it. I always wonder how much longer she would have lived, and what she could have accomplished with her gift of evangelism. Believing in healing in her case was from the devil, as he killed her, when if she had listened to her doctors, she might have lived for many years.

As far as elevating experience above the Word, I cannot agree more! But the Word Faith people do not use the Word. You have written post after post without so much as a single verse to support your bad theology. (Like the one above, and the one before that) I wrote clearly and strongly how wrong the Greek and Hebrew exegesis is in the Word Faith movement, with the languages, the verses and you come back with a vague statement about how I am relying too much on experience and seminary, when in fact, everything I think and believe comes out of years and years of deep study of the Bible, and my prayer relationship with God.

I do believe the Bible supports the sovereignty of God in EVERYTHING! You can't just love God when he is giving you goodies. Instead, God wants us to trust him when bad things happen. Job has been a great friend of mine. And yes, it was the devil who attacked him. But a simple read through of the opening chapters of Job, shows that not only did God suggest Job for the devil to torment, he also set progressive limits on what the devil could do.

"The Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.”8 And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?”9 Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for no reason?10 Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.11 But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.”12 And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand.” So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord." Job 1:7-12

"
And the Lordsaid to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil? He still holds fast his integrity, although you incited me against him to destroy him without reason.”4 Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Skin for skin! All that a man has he will give for his life.5 But stretch out your hand and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse you to your face.”
6 And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, he is in your hand; only spare his life.” Job 2:3-6

Plus, there is the simple reality of life in those ancient cultures. Death and sickness was a normal part of life. There were doctors, but they could do little. It was an amazing miracle when Jesus healed people. The disciples did heal a bit in the beginning of Acts, but as the Word spread, so the need for signs and miracles and miracles decreased, because they had the truth in the Bible.

So I will just finish by saying you are limiting God when you say what he can or cannot do. God is love, but he is also just. That means that from his perspective every one of us is worthy of death, because of our sin. Instead, he sent Jesus to die on the cross for our sin. But the accumulation of sin and death in this world continues, and there are no verses which say God owes us perfect health. That is a heresy.

As for passively accepting everything that is thrown my way, as a result of my illness I have grown in character. I used to be very depressed, and God gave me a new outlook after being sick - he showed me how to have peace and joy! God showed me how to help others. I have a bipolar support group with 35 members and I am a witness to the glory of God in my life. I have had the opportunity to work in long term care and help the sick and dying. I have been able to preach and teach in my home churches. All that came about because God used sickness to turn me away from my goals, needs and desires and to the will of God, and his Kingdom.

Last edited: