IS HELL A PLACE OF TORTURE?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 26, 2011
Is hell a place of torture,for ever and ever?
This is preached for centuries,that the wicked will be tortured for ever in burning hell.
This is just a scare tactic bringing people to join by fear,by the precept of men.
hell is simply the grave where the dead goes,for Jesus was also in hell for 3days.
Pslm16:10For thou will not leave my soul in HELL; neither wilt thou suffer thine HOLY ONE to see CORRUPTION: tHIS IS THE REASON WHY GOD RAISED HIM UP ON THE THIRD DAY. fOR CORRUPTION STARTS ON THE FOURTH DAY.

God is not a cruel being that burns the wicked for ever and ever,this is just giving God a bad name; He is a loving God that loves good and hates bad,for the sake of the good he must do away with evil,not preserve it in hell, but to totally banish evil from the universe.
The wicked will go to hell (the grave) then resurected in the second resurection then judged,then cast into the LAKE OF FIRE,to burn to ashes.They will be no more.

How can one live happily in heaven while your loved ones are burning in hell screaming and yelling night and day for ever and ever? In the case of lazarus, this is just a description explained symbolically, One can not hear the ones in hell screaming from heaven; what kind of place would heaven be? It would be a terrible place.Dont advertise your God as being a cruel God.All the wicked will have a chance in the 2nd resurection,they will be judged according to their works,and if they dont make it then; that only means that they are realy,realy bad,and they dont need to exist,for the sake of the good ones.To make evil
of non existence for ever. HISTORY.

''wakeup''.

Hell is a State of Mind !

D

Dan121

I want to say I totally agree with what this man just said. there is no hell. I have done extensive study on the subject, read in multiple versions of the bible, read a few books on the subject. I have a strongs concordance and I know the meanings of the words Hades, Sheol and Gehenna which are the 3 words translated hell in the KJV of the bible.

Another subject that would help would be "the character of God", geez a merciful God would have no use for a place of eternal toment. It makes no logical sence. therefore logically there is no hell and theologically there is no hell. Its basically leftover supersticion from the dark ages, its understandable but incorrect.

That being said I want to say this.

Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. James 1:17

ALL things good and perfect come from God. Therefore that is where I want to be. Where there is plenty of good and perfect things. Amen?

And if we reject God? And we dont want anything to do with Him? We will get exactly that. The problem is we will go where God is not. That place has no good or perfect things. Correct? That...is hell.

However we also know that God is life. Therefore no God, no life. Therefore in hell you do not live forever in torment but you will cease to exist. In darkness. Forever. This is also biblical and there litterally dozens of verses that prove this biblically.

One other thing that should be mentioned is the fact that in order to recieve eternal life you have to be born again. If you are born again you are NOT going to hell. If you are not born again you do not have eternal life therefore how is it that they will live forever in torment? hmm!!??

the doctrine of man being born with an imortal soul is a Catholic doctrine and is NOT biblical. we protestants PROTEST these kinds of eroneous doctrines and that why we are called protestants. Unfortunately Modern day Christians are mostly illiterate as far as biblical things are concerned so most dont know what they believe and they just follow the crowd.

however that aside, if we dont have an imortal soul the question again is how can I burn forever in hell?

You see no matter what angle you look at this subject the doctrine of hell makes no sense. It makes no sense. Hell is an eroneous supersticious doctrine that unfortunately many still believe in.

Will believeing in hell change YOUR personal destiny? Absolutely not. But you would be wrong theologically and Jesus is truth. Therefore its better you KNOW the truth. Amen?

Fact: there is no hell,unless of course you are saying hell is "the grave" ,which is the correct meaning of the word. In that case you would be correct there is a hell. Hell is...."the grave" end of subject.

I just wanted to say that I disagree 100%. To say that there is no hell is to call God a liar. God can not lie. Take the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, Jesus would have never told this parable if he wasn't warning the people of hell.

This parable is found in Luke 16:19-31.

Notice the rich man in this parable, who happens to be in hell. He is able to talk and feel the pain of the hell fire, he is not burned up and that is all, it is an everlasting torment.

I agree that God is a loving God, but he gives us chance after chance, he will take vengence on those who do not obey His word and commands.

Romans 12:19 - Vengence is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

M

mymastertheking43

Answer: By raining down fire and brimstone upon the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, God not only demonstrated how He felt about overt sin, but He also launched an enduring metaphor. After the events of Genesis 19:24, the mere mention of fire, brimstone, Sodom or Gomorrah instantly transports a reader into the context of God’s judgment. Such an emotionally potent symbol, however, has trouble escaping its own gravity. This fiery image can impede, rather than advance, its purpose. A symbol should show a similarity between two dissimilar entities. Fire and brimstone describes some of what hell is like—but not all of what hell is.

The word the Bible uses to describe a burning hell—Gehenna—comes from a burning place, the valley of Gehenna adjacent to Jerusalem on the south. Gehenna is an English transliteration of the Greek form of an Aramaic word, which is derived from the Hebrew phrase “the Valley of (the son of) Hinnom.” In one of their greatest apostasies, the Jews (especially under kings Ahaz and Manasseh) passed their children through the fires in sacrifice to the god Molech in that very valley (2 Kings 16:3; 2 Chronicles 33:6; Jeremiah 32:35). Eventually, the Jews considered that location to be ritually unclean (2 Kings 23:10), and they defiled it all the more by casting the bodies of criminals into its smoldering heaps. In Jesus’ time this was a place of constant fire, but more so, it was a refuse heap, the last stop for all items judged by men to be worthless. When Jesus spoke of Gehenna hell, He was speaking of the city dump of all eternity. Yes, fire was part of it, but the purposeful casting away—the separation and loss—was all of it.

In Mark 9:43 Jesus used another powerful image to illustrate the seriousness of hell.“If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.” For most readers, this images does escape its own gravity—in spite of the goriness! Few believe that Jesus wants us literally to cut off our own hand. He would rather that we do whatever is necessary to avoid going to hell, and that is the purpose of such language—to polarize, to set up an either/or dynamic, to compare. Since the first part of the passage uses imagery, the second part does also, and therefore should not be understood as an encyclopedic description of hell.

In addition to fire, the New Testament describes hell as a bottomless pit (abyss) (Revelation 20:3), a lake (Revelation 20:14), darkness (Matthew 25:30), death (Revelation 2:11), destruction (2 Thessalonians 1:9), everlasting torment (Revelation 20:10), a place of wailing and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 25:30), and a place of gradated punishment (Matthew 11:20-24; Luke 12:47-48; Revelation 20:12-13). The very variety of hell’s descriptors argues against applying a literal interpretation of any particular one. For instance, hell’s literal fire could emit no light, since hell would be literally dark. Its fire could not consume its literal fuel (persons!) since their torment is non-ending. Additionally, the gradation of punishments within hell also confounds literalness. Does hell’s fire burn Hitler more fiercely than an honest pagan? Does he fall more rapidly in the abyss than another? Is it darker for Hitler? Does he wail and gnash more loudly or more continually than the other? The variety and symbolic nature of descriptors do not lessen hell, however—just the opposite, in fact. Their combined effect describes a hell that is worse than death, darker than darkness, and deeper than any abyss. Hell is a place with more wailing and gnashing of teeth than any single descriptor could ever portray. Its symbolic descriptors bring us to a place beyond the limits of our language—to a place far worse than we could ever imagine.

Recommended Resource: Four Views on Hell edited by John Walvoord.

Jan 14, 2010
with the editor being a Dispensationalist... no thanks.

C

chesser

I just wanted to say that I disagree 100%. To say that there is no hell is to call God a liar. God can not lie. Take the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, Jesus would have never told this parable if he wasn't warning the people of hell.

This parable is found in Luke 16:19-31.

Notice the rich man in this parable, who happens to be in hell. He is able to talk and feel the pain of the hell fire, he is not burned up and that is all, it is an everlasting torment.

I agree that God is a loving God, but he gives us chance after chance, he will take vengence on those who do not obey His word and commands.

Romans 12:19 - Vengence is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
A. The parable doesn't mention hell, it says hades, which is the place the wicked go before judgment. Jesus said that the wicked shall be burnt up together, at the end of this age.
B. if it is literal, it must have been a pretty cold flame as he was speaking rationally in it, and a single drop of water would have cooled him.

A

Anonimous

I'm glad that is not my job. Time will tell. I'm not sure if hell and the lake of fire is the same though. I wouldn't wish it on anyone...