Is Heresy and Apostasy the Same Thing?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
Apostates are those who deny the faith by making the grace of God without effect . They went out from us because they were not of us.

2Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation ....... (personal commentary)

Heresy defines the private interpretations as commentaries of one sect or denomination that makes them different than another.. The word sect/denomination come from the Greek word heresy.

Eastons bible dictionary Sect, heresy (Gr. hairesis, usually rendered "heresy", Acts 24:14; 1 Chr.11:19; Gal. 5:20, etc.), meaning properly "a choice," then "a chosen manner of life," and then "a religious party," as the"sect" of the Sadducees (Acts 5:17), of the Pharisees (15:5),the Nazarenes, i.e., Christians (24:5). It afterwards came to be used in a bad sense, of those holding pernicious error, divergent forms of belief (2 Pet. 2:1; Gal. 5:20).

The apostate Jews who resisted all thing written in the law and the fathers (sola scriptura) accused Paul a previous member formally under a law of the fathers, of heresy..

Act 24:5 For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect (heresy)of the Nazarenes:

Act 24:14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets

There are damnable heresies by which we can judge another and offer them the gospel. They deny the grace of God by the oral traditions of the fathers making all things written in the law and the fathers without effect. Those who be the apostate s denying the faith of Christ in exchange for doctrines of men.

2Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

They would be the ones that are hoping they will be found with a righteousness of their own after some work they have done. Again denying the grace of God that bought them.