Is it OK to question church doctrine?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
How extremely deceptive you are being. I quoted you exactly and your quote is telling. I never said anything about ""Yes: a positive change, back to the equality of genders that Jesus intended for His followers. Nineteen centuries of oppression need to come to an end"
As I know what I said and what I meant by it, your accusation doesn't stick.

You obviously feel that the church was under nineteen centuries of oppression or why else would you have said this.
No; the church has oppressed half its own population. This has nothing to do with the world, though it has been consistent with how the world has treated women.

If you believe that Scripture teaches otherwise, then please give the verses that show your view is justified and quit using humanistic and socially based arguments.
I'm not using humanistic and socially based arguments at all. My view is based on the word of God and proper cultural context thereof -- first century context, not 21st.

The Apostle Paul's writings to not allow women to speak in the assembly meeting and forbidding them to be elders/preachers was given under Divine inspiration.
That's your interpretation of the Scriptures.

at what point did God change his mind? Women are in every way equal to men as one of God's creations. Men are not always smarter than women nor or women always smarter than men. However, when God sets down offices and rules a certain way, we as believers better get on the right side of His plan. Regular believers can't all be Pastors. God chooses them for His service. Believers are not all spiritually mature. Some are babes, some young children and still others young adults. NONE of these realities make anyone inferior to the other by gender or physical age; just in spiritual maturity and in God appointed service.
All irrelevant.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
As individuals who make up the church, I think we need to allow a certain amount of personal assumptions.

The Pharisees went way too far with making rules, establishing an additional scripture with rules to follow. We must be sure we are not doing the same.

In the true church Christ established, Christ and His salvation was the basic "rule". After that the most important commandment was love. Love has acceptance of differences within the body of Christ.

Our problem then, is deciding what differences Christ allows.
To love one another, does not mean to accept their differences if their differences are in opposition with what the scriptures teach.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
I

WOW !! There’s an artful plucking from the Gospel tree that conveniently satisfies a personal/doctrinal point of view. Just sayin’.
We are told not to add to the scriptures, nor take away any of the scriptures.

All scriptures must harmonize in order to understand the doctrine of Jesus.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
All scriptures must harmonize in order to understand the doctrine of Jesus.
That's far overstating your case. As a child can understand the doctrine of Jesus, and doesn't give a hoot about harmonizing the Scripture, your point is invalid.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
That's far overstating your case. As a child can understand the doctrine of Jesus, and doesn't give a hoot about harmonizing the Scripture, your point is invalid.
That is your assumption, and is way off base.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
To love one another, does not mean to accept their differences if their differences are in opposition with what the scriptures teach.
Right! We should be able to discuss scripture, and work out together how to interpret it. We are human and will disagree, and need to discuss differences. But if this is done in a spirit that excludes any love, with name calling and accusing, it is not a discussion any longer but quarreling.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Right! We should be able to discuss scripture, and work out together how to interpret it. We are human and will disagree, and need to discuss differences. But if this is done in a spirit that excludes any love, with name calling and accusing, it is not a discussion any longer but quarreling.
You are absolutely right.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
1. Every man thinks he's right in his own eyes, until another man shows his errors or corrects him.

2. The Bereans search the scriptures to see if what Paul and Silas preached to them was true.

3. Paul said, "Consider what I say, and may the Holy Spirit give you understanding."

The Lord put his word in my heart, thus I'm too lazy at the moment to provide book, chapter and verse.

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
Unbelievable statement!!!!! No child of God has ever been born again without a hungering and thirsting for the Word of God. If one is mature enough to understand the importance of Jesus Christ, then by God's grace they understand the importance of harmonizing the Truth of God, as revealed in Scripture, about whom Christ is.

One can believe in the historical Jesus Christ or believe what someone has told them about Jesus Christ BUT if one does not possess the Biblical understanding of whom Christ is, then they may possess no Savior. Only the Father through the Holy Spirit can enlighten one as to whom Christ is. His person and His work and this will ALWAYS harmonize with Scripture.