Is it wrong to elope?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 25, 2005
It isn't. If your goal is saving money and you still want a ceremony, do what my grandparents did: hold it in their parent's house.

Sep 13, 2012
There is definitely a difference between eloping and having a small, non-elaborate wedding. I think Kymberli is describing the latter. Eloping has the connotation that you're getting married on a whim, or in secret, and shows a lack of responsibility. Eloping seems like it's for people who's family or friends don't approve of the marriage, in which case you probably shouldn't even be getting married; if everyone around you thinks it's a problem, you would be a fool to ignore them. It also seems like it's for impatient people who just can't wait to get married. Getting married doesn't mean casting off your friends and family who have been there for you through everything; isn't it worth a little stress to share that special day with all of them who helped you get there?

That being said, I do like Julianna's suggestion of just the man, woman, and preacher on the beach. I think that can be done as long as you're transparent about it. Let everyone know well in advance that you're getting married, but that there will be no "wedding". Letting them know that it will just be the three of you will at least give them the a heads up so they don't think it's some kind of shotgun marriage. Done correctly, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Done incorrectly and you'll needlessly damage a lot of relationships.
Isnt it more important what you and your spouse feel? Its your marriage,not your families or friends etc, many people have eloped against their families wishes,and had long and happy marriages, if the two of you pray about it, and you feel God is blessing you, don't worry about anyone else, God knows what he's doing

Last edited:

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
I think that a true elopement is selfish, I am sorry that it sounds harsh but from the point of view of being an only child how would my parents feel if I eloped? I think a small private wedding is fine but running off in secret not so much, also the reason that the wedding in braveheart was the way it was is because at time the lairds had "first dibs" on the new bride. even before their husbands.

Sep 13, 2012
There are many selfish reasons families may try to keep people apart too, if you love someone and you feeel you should marry them, then go for it

AAAPlus

Aug 2, 2011
Isnt it more important what you and your spouse feel? Its your marriage,not your families or friends etc, many people have eloped against their families wishes,and had long and happy marriages, if the two of you pray about it, and you feel God is blessing you, don't worry about anyone else, God knows what he's doing
No, I would say it's just as important to listen to your friends and family. When you're in a relationship with someone you become smitten, and it clouds your judgement.

Proverbs 12:15 says "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice"

There is a whole plethora of verses about taking council and not relying on your own ideas here: What Does the Bible Say About Wise Counsel?

There is good reason to listen to others. Your family has raised you and they know you better than almost anyone. They, more often than not, can give you great advice to go by. Likewise, you picked out your friends, and part of the reason that you think they are worth spending time with, presumably, was because you think they are level-headed and competent. They also know you really well and often see things that you don't. It's hard to see the flaws in your own ways of thinking, but it's easy to point out the flaws of others. To ignore their advice about such a huge thing would be foolish.

SweetShelly35

Feb 21, 2012
If you HAVE to elope, bring as many people that love you with you. Get married in a church not a courthouse if possible. Take everyone's feelings is into consideration.