Is obedience the key to peace?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Whenever there is discontent and turbulence, could the root likely every time be in disobedience?

In families when the hierarchy is forgotten or disregarded. In kingdoms when subjects rebel against authority. Struggles result where nobody is willing to back down, so nobody is happy.

The Bible advises slaves to obey their masters. It advises men to obey God, wives obey husbands, children obey parents. It is when this chain of being is distorted that the trouble starts. Divorce, estrangement, war. Each person wanting to do as they please.

It is hard always to obey, when it means self sacrifice, there is no way without a price. The sacrifice of ego, self comfort, ease, self interest.

So should we cultivate in ourselves the quality of obedience?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Whenever there is discontent and turbulence, could the root likely every time be in disobedience?

In families when the hierarchy is forgotten or disregarded. In kingdoms when subjects rebel against authority. Struggles result where nobody is willing to back down, so nobody is happy.

The Bible advises slaves to obey their masters. It advises men to obey God, wives obey husbands, children obey parents. It is when this chain of being is distorted that the trouble starts. Divorce, estrangement, war. Each person wanting to do as they please.

It is hard always to obey, when it means self sacrifice, there is no way without a price. The sacrifice of ego, self comfort, ease, self interest.

Some Thoughts On Conflict:

1.) Conflict comes from pride, and from a lack of obedience TO GOD.

2.) It may or may not involve some appropriate line of authority to another human.

3.) To resolve conflict, we need to resolve a spiritual issue:
A.)
Conflict should be seen first, and ultimately, as a sin issue between a person and God.
B.) If the person CREATING the conflict settles their issues with God, then the other relationship issues usually fall into place.
C.) So conflict does not always come from a disruption of human AUTHORITY... it can just be a disruption of human KINDNESS, due to a troubled relationship with God. (So the solution is to resolve things with God.)

4.) If the conflict comes from another person, there may be nothing you can do.
- Two parties are required for a conflict, and although you can choose not to participate, YOU CAN'T FIX IT if the other person is unwilling.

5.) Just for the record, I don't view polite debate, or asking hard questions, as a spiritual or moral conflict.
- People should be allowed to ask hard questions, as long as we all remain polite.
- People should be able to disagree and even debate, in order to sort through issues.. as long as they're being polite.

CONCLUSION:
- Human authority isn't required for conflict, therefore there is something deeper than human authority causing it, therefore focusing on human authority will not fix it.
- Conflict is rooted in pride, and that's a spiritual problem.
- Unfortunately, it's a problem we all share.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

Obedience without context is a path to slavery. Obedience to appropriate authority is righteous. Godly wisdom includes avoiding enslaving ourselves, but it also includes submission to authority even when that authority is acting unrighteously. Obey where you are under authority, but not where you aren’t. You may choose to comply, but that’s different.

Sep 19, 2023
Hi Mary,
I have Pentacostal roots from early in my childhood. For a believer, obedience and holiness seem to be the two internal factors comprising the foundation of stability in life.
So when I say that I have an unstable life, I inherently believe that it is for lack of obedience and holiness.
The problem with this Pentacostal faith is that repentance doesn't always take root, or it can force me into such a narrow-minded paradigm that I soon realize that I am looking at life and people too rigidly.
At some point, it becomes impossible to live to all the instructions in scripture.
A couple of them:
“One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” — Mark 10:21
"Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor." — 1 Corinthians 10:24
“If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it. — Luke 9:23-24
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” — Matthew 28:19-20
If you get into an unhealthy frame of mind, like depression, you can lose your internal sense of how much obedience is enough, and you can destroy yourself doing too much and feeling guilty about not doing enough. Or you can get scarred to the point where you entirely lose the desire to help people, which results in a disobedient lifestyle. Or you could slip into sinful patterns because of loneliness and unfulfilled desires, and even when you repent, the core deficiencies in your natural life that caused you to reach out to sin in the first place are still there.
So for a lot of reasons, many outside our control, we can find ourselves not obeying all we are called to and even not maintaining our purity.
So the solution is turning to Jesus, right?
Well, what if His answer is, "My grace is sufficient for you, because power is perfected in weakness."
And then maybe he doesn't deliver you from that bondage, or change your heart to the point where you minister to others.
There is a degree to which we can change ourselves, and there is a degree to which we really need Jesus to change our desires and motivations.
One thing I have found is that the Lord doesn't seem to want to give me motivation to become a better person if I am going to use my status as a better person to make selfish choices.
I know obedience and holiness are important, and right now I am doing what I can to seek Jesus's face. I don't know the answers, but I believe He does.
Sincerely,
Brian

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Hi Mary,
I have Pentacostal roots from early in my childhood. For a believer, obedience and holiness seem to be the two internal factors comprising the foundation of stability in life.
So when I say that I have an unstable life, I inherently believe that it is for lack of obedience and holiness.
The problem with this Pentacostal faith is that repentance doesn't always take root, or it can force me into such a narrow-minded paradigm that I soon realize that I am looking at life and people too rigidly.
At some point, it becomes impossible to live to all the instructions in scripture.
A couple of them:
“One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” — Mark 10:21
“If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it. — Luke 9:23-24
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” — Matthew 28:19-20
If you get into an unhealthy frame of mind, like depression, you can lose your internal sense of how much obedience is enough, and you can destroy yourself doing too much and feeling guilty about not doing enough. Or you can get scarred to the point where you entirely lose the desire to help people, which results in a disobedient lifestyle. Or you could slip into sinful patterns because of loneliness and unfulfilled desires, and even when you repent, the core deficiencies in your natural life that caused you to reach out to sin in the first place are still there.
So for a lot of reasons, many outside our control, we can find ourselves not obeying all we are called to and even not maintaining our purity.
So the solution is turning to Jesus, right?
Well, what if His answer is, "My grace is sufficient for you, because power is perfected in weakness."
And then maybe he doesn't deliver you from that bondage, or change your heart to the point where you minister to others.
There is a degree to which we can change ourselves, and there is a degree to which we really need Jesus to change our desires and motivations.
One thing I have found is that the Lord doesn't seem to want to give me motivation to become a better person if I am going to use my status as a better person to make selfish choices.
I know obedience and holiness are important, and right now I am doing what I can to seek Jesus's face. I don't know the answers, but I believe He does.
Sincerely,
Brian
We cannot do all Jesus asks. But that's the beauty of His love and His sacrifice for us. As long as we accept Him as our saviour and Lord, it's ok. We have His love as just we are. As long as we repent and are honest to Him.
I just rest in this and pray about everything, while doing my best.

Sep 19, 2023
I have a thread in the Singles' forum called Talking to Jesus. I would like to invite you to contribute to it.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
A couple of them:
We cannot do all Jesus asks. But that's the beauty of His love and His sacrifice for us. As long as we accept Him as our saviour and Lord, it's ok. We have His love as just we are. As long as we repent and are honest to Him.
I just rest in this and pray about everything, while doing my best.
Precious friends, God Does Have A Solution In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided - ie:

I have decided to follow Jesus?

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II). ← PG Rated "Approved" *
↑ His Approved Solution to obedience ↑

Grace, Peace, And JOY!… + RICH Blessings ♫ 😇 ↑

* PG: Perfect God / Parental Guidance

Study to Be APPROVED Open Bible.png

Sep 19, 2023
Precious friends, God Does Have A Solution In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided - ie:

I have decided to follow Jesus?

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II). ← PG Rated "Approved" *
↑ His Approved Solution to obedience ↑

Grace, Peace, And JOY!… + RICH Blessings ♫ 😇 ↑

* PG: Perfect God / Parental Guidance

View attachment 256162
Jesus said if you love me you will obey My commandments.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014

It is for shure the key for peace with our heavenly father. But this can include no peace with the world.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023

no, there are seasons of suffering we go thru to edify us which is to grow in relationship with Jesus. they also draw us closer to Jesus. but i would say that 1 word says it all for born again Christians: OBEDIENCE! yes. install a new "conditioned spiritual response" in your being. smile in your obedience. this truly works. the tougher the challenge to obey, the more you smile, even laugh!!! & cast the devil out with a smile, a joke too!

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018

Possibly, but I would say it's a deeper issue and having more to do with not being fulfilled or knowing ones purpose.

A woman can love her husband and do everything he pleases and always watch the kids and cater to everyone. But if she's selling herself short she won't have peace. What was her reason for being created? What is it that she should be fruitful in? Not just having kids, although that's super important. But it's not anyone's only purpose, and the reason I know that is because....Kids grow up and leave.

So what is the reason you were created? Why did God put you here? Discover and implement these answers and you will have peace, bc you are doing what God put into you.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021

It is true that obedience is greater than sacrifice(1Sam 15:22), but to keep our hearts & minds on the Lord in faith brings peace.
Isa 26:1 In that day this song will be sung in the land of Judah:
“We have a strong city;
he sets up salvation
as walls and bulwarks.
2Open the gates,
that the righteous nation that keeps faith may enter in.
3You keep him in perfect peace
whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.

4Trust in the LORD forever,
for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock.