Is personal prophecy scriptural?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
When one makes sounds or moves like they could be a prophet we are to test the spirits . The Holy Spirit is not a man that he should lie.

Seddrik

May 29, 2023
You consider the end times miracles related to the miraculous in acts? Once those end times miracles start it’s no longer about building the church. We have moved from a time of building to a time of Judgment. And I believe what 1cor 13 is calling perfect means when we see Jesus at the renewal of all things. Once the renewal happens obviously we wouldn’t need those miraculous gifts because the Kingdom of God and the Earth will be in perfect alignment. Eden renewed, even better than Original Eden. Christ and the Church will be in 100% union with the Father. All one in spirit and we won’t need any of the gifts beyond that. Everything restored no sin or death or pain. At that point why would we need the miraculous, hence the point of 1Cor:13- Jesus is the perfect described
1Cor13 mentions parts and perfect.

In context, the parts are miraculous revelations.
The perfect (complete) is therefore made up of the parts specified by the Holy Spirit Himself.

It also fits with the work of the Spirit Jn 16:13
And the description of the Gospel, literally the same word used James 1:25 “perfect”

If Jesus is the “perfect” here, then the “part“ to “perfect”, child to adult, dim to full vision comparisons fall apart.

The pieces are Gods revealed messages. The perfect (in context) composes the growing up, fullness, completion/perfection of those parts.

Jesus will raise the dead when He returns. Your argument suggests that somehow this isnt deemed miraculous? Very strange, 1Cor 13 says miraculous activities will stop when the perfect is come. Jesus will work miracles on a scale no human has ever witnessed when He comes again… thus, Jesu cannot be the “perfect” under consideration in 1Cor13.

Thank you for the convo. My eyes are getting worn out for now. I will see about checking in another day.

The gospel is simple 2 Corinthians 11:3
Faith comes from the Word Rom10:17
He that has ears to hear, let him hear.

Seddrik

May 29, 2023
The belief is because a person is blessed with the fruits of the holy spirit there is not a real need for further gifts of the spirit to come or for the holy spirit to visit further.

If we look at Acts 16:6 Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia.

We read that the holy spirit prevented Paul going to asia but no real reason was given as to why

But I can only assume the holy spirit didn't want Paul to preach the Gospel in that region of Asia because of danger to Paul.

You could then call this foreseeing in advance. And also the holy spirit visiting a Christian allready filled with the fruits of the spirit to prevent a future event happening.
“i can only assume…”

why assume what is not revealed?
read what is revealed:

Acts 16:10 And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
Deuteronomy 13 1-5. “1 If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, 2 and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, ‘Let us go after other gods’—which you have not known—‘and let us serve them,’ 3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the Lord your God is testing you to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 You shall walk[a] after the Lord your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments and obey His voice; you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him. 5 But that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has spoken in order to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you from the house of bondage, to entice you from the way in which the Lord your God commanded you to walk. So you shall [b]put away the evil from your midst.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
“i can only assume…”

why assume what is not revealed?
read what is revealed:

Acts 16:10 And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.
I thought this was a different region to the one the holy spirit prevented Paul going to in verse 6.

There is no real reason given for why Paul was prevented from going to preach in the region of verse 6.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
I thought this was a different region to the one the holy spirit prevented Paul going to in verse 6.

There is no real reason given for why Paul was prevented from going to preach in the region of verse 6.
Act 16:6 Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,
Act 16:7 After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not.
Act 16:8 And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas.
Act 16:9 And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.

is reason enough

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Act 16:6 Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,
Act 16:7 After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not.
Act 16:8 And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas.
Act 16:9 And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.

is reason enough
Just so I understand you and seddrick correctly
Your both saying that the region the holy spirit told Paul to go to in verse 10 is the same as the region the holy spirit prevented them not going to going n verse 7

6 Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia. 7 When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to. 8 So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas. 9 During the night Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” 10 After Paul had seen the vision, we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.

Ok something is not right here,

Ok forgetting the assumptions for now, it's still clear that the holy spirit visited Paul a born again christian with a personal prophetic vision about a future event.

Would you agree on that much ?.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Just so I understand you and seddrick correctly
Your both saying that the region the holy spirit told Paul to go to in verse 10 is the same as the region the holy spirit prevented them not going to going n verse 7

6 Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia. 7 When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to. 8 So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas. 9 During the night Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” 10 After Paul had seen the vision, we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.

Ok something is not right here,

Ok forgetting the assumptions for now, it's still clear that the holy spirit visited Paul a born again christian with a personal prophetic vision about a future event.

Would you agree on that much ?.
You are not honest, zero credibility.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
And I was only assuming the holy spirit was preventing Paul to not go to a region of Asia for his safety and I get thinkirgh about as zero credibility for this.

How mean spirited it is Am hyn

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
oh great Thankyou so you can make an assumption but I can't
No assuming i read the posts. All you needed to do was control your ego . Maybe say something like Yes i copied that because it said what i believe better then i could. You chose to be deceptive. Ignore works well on this site.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
No assuming i read the posts. All you needed to do was control your ego . Maybe say something like Yes i copied that because it said what i believe better then i could. You chose to be deceptive. Ignore works well on this site.
go away

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
And I was only assuming the holy spirit was preventing Paul to not go to a region of Asia for his safety and I get thinkirgh about as zero credibility for this.

How mean spirited it is Am hyn
You shot your credibility trying to pretend about the article you posted. Making a mistake we all do an honest person will admit and move on.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
I got told your source meaning my source was from an sDa.

I simply replied I have been studying my source for 12 months

So someone say your source is incorrect is it dishonest to say I studied my source for 12 months.

So this is silly stupid immature argumentive disrespectful lie that you want to push into personal abusive behaviour so goaway

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Personal prophecy is big these days. A so-called prophet gives you a prophecy that he or she claims is directly from the Lord and meant specifically for you. Does this have any authority in scripture or are these "prophets" little more than psychic advisers? Have you ever been given a personal prophecy? What happened as a result? If not, how would you feel or react is someone tried to give you a personal prophecy?
Finding a prophet in a church is near impossible.

On Sunday, I am heading to an independent church I found on the internet. Apparently, they operate in the gifts and ministries of the Holy Spirit. I will know within a few weeks, if what they say is true. Please Lord, let there be a prophet.

Real prophets are as rare as hen's teeth.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Finding a prophet in a church is near impossible.

On Sunday, I am heading to an independent church I found on the internet. Apparently, they operate in the gifts and ministries of the Holy Spirit. I will know within a few weeks, if what they say is true. Please Lord, let there be a prophet.

Real prophets are as rare as hen's teeth.
You don't find a prophet you find the spirit of prophecy speaking through a person and you never know when that might be.

The spirit of prophecy could speak through you if you seek it for the right reason.

But you might not even realise it.

I think you might find somebody claim they can speak prophecy when on an appointment may be being decieved from Unclean spirit who speak Prophecy of there own.

And so may be a waste of time going to visit, because prophecy can not be demanded or expected, it happens when the holy spirit decides,

So friend if your going somewhere expecting you will be disappointed and you will end up coming back here assainating the spirit of prophecy.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
I got told your source meaning my source was from an sDa.

I simply replied I have been studying my source for 12 months

So someone say your source is incorrect is it dishonest to say I studied my source for 12 months.

So this is silly stupid immature argumentive disrespectful lie that you want to push into personal abusive behaviour so goaway
still choosing to be dishonest .

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
You don't find a prophet you find the spirit of prophecy speaking through a person and you never know when that might be.

The spirit of prophecy could speak through you if you seek it for the right reason.

But you might not even realise it.

I think you might find somebody claim they can speak prophecy when on an appointment may be being decieved from Unclean spirit who speak Prophecy of there own.

And so may be a waste of time going to visit, because prophecy can not be demanded or expected, it happens when the holy spirit decides,

So friend if your going somewhere expecting you will be disappointed and you will end up coming back here assainating the spirit of prophecy.
I see the gifts a bit differently to you.

There are specific ministries that are given by the Holy Spirit to various members of churches.

For example, a minister may have a direct appointment by the Holy Spirit. That tenure will last decades.

Prophecy can be given to someone to speak to another or to a group. It may be temporary manifestation of prophecy for a purpose. Yet, in the New Testament some are actually prophets, they have a prophetic ministry. Same goes for evangelists, some are lifelong evangelists. Evangelism is a ministry in it's own right. Evangelism is not specifically mentioned in the scripture but think of it, as similar to apostles. They both (apostles, evangelists) preach the gospel to unbeliever's.

I agree, that a prophetic word is subject wholly to the Holy Spirit.

I wish I could find a church with a bona fide prophet.

Lamar

May 21, 2023
I see the gifts a bit differently to you.

There are specific ministries that are given by the Holy Spirit to various members of churches.

For example, a minister may have a direct appointment by the Holy Spirit. That tenure will last decades.

Prophecy can be given to someone to speak to another or to a group. It may be temporary manifestation of prophecy for a purpose. Yet, in the New Testament some are actually prophets, they have a prophetic ministry. Same goes for evangelists, some are lifelong evangelists. Evangelism is a ministry in it's own right. Evangelism is not specifically mentioned in the scripture but think of it, as similar to apostles. They both (apostles, evangelists) preach the gospel to unbeliever's.

I agree, that a prophetic word is subject wholly to the Holy Spirit.

I wish I could find a church with a bona fide prophet.
How would you know he was a "bona fide prophet"?