Is the Holy Spirit a distinct divine Person?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
God has taught us that He is One. Jesus Yeshua is One with the Father and the Holy Spirit. When He informed Moses that He would b What He would be, that settles it. God said it, we believe it, and that settles it.

On His great day, He will reveal all mysteries to mankind. Meanwhile we should refrain from charging what He has said in naming Him in some intellectual approach from this age, for all of this age shall burn and be replace.

Saul-to-Paul

Jun 5, 2017
The concept of the trinity is taught in Word. And yes, it was a very early doctrine of the church. The word rapture isn't in the Bible, it's still there as a concept. Immaculate conception isn't in the Bible, but we believe it happened. Incarnation, understand where I am going. If you don't believe in the trinity, you don't believe in the Word. I know exactly what the Word says. One God, three persons.
Rapture= to be caught up.
Trinity= 3 distinct persons in one.....NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE.

SilverFox7

Dec 24, 2022
Grand Rapids, Michigan
The short answer is “Absolutely”. But He has many names and titles because He has many different ministries. He is introduced to us right at the beginning of the Bible as “the Spirit of God”. And He is found throughout the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. So why does everyone not simply believe that He is God the Holy Spirit? Two reasons (a) Satanic deception and (b) willful blindness.

In the Bible He is called “the Spirit”, “the Holy Spirit”, “the Spirit of God”, “the Spirit of Holiness”, “the Spirit of Truth”, ”the Comforter”, or “the Paraclete”, as well as “the Holy Ghost”.

How did He come to be called “the Holy Ghost”? It would appear that since Martin Luther’s German translation came into existence long before the King James Bible, it did have an influence on the English translation. The German equivalent for “spirit” is “geist” which translates into “ghost”. So it is perfectly accurate to call the Holy Spirit “the Holy Ghost”. Unfortunately the KJV translators failed to consistently capitalize “Holy Spirit” or “Spirit” (where applicable). When it is God the Holy Spirit, it is necessary to capitalize those words, so that there is no misunderstanding.

But how do we know that He is God? Because He has all the attributes of God according to Scripture. Indeed He is the Author of Scripture (2 Timothy 3:16,17; 2 Peter 1:19-21)

Is He a Person who can be vexed? But they rebelled, and vexed his Holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them. (Isa 63:10)

Is He a Person who can be lied to? But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

Is He a Person who can be grieved? And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.(Eph 4:30)

Is He a Person who can lead another person? And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness (Luke 4:1)

Is He a Person who can cause men to speak foreign languages supernaturally? And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance (Acts 2:4)

Is He a Person who can reveal spiritual truths to men? Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit (Eph 3:5)

One could write a dissertation on the Holy Spirit, but this is more than enough to establish the truth about God the Holy Spirit.
Well expressed, Nehemiah. Pilgrimshope and I are doing a deep dive into The Holy Spirit in the following forum as well if anyone's interested in participating:

Combat , the spirit v the flesh - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Rapture= to be caught up.
Trinity= 3 distinct persons in one.....NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE.
And this is a blatantly false statement.
but yet your title says is the holy spirit a distinct devine person with your answers as absolutely yes ?.

But now you consider a similar statement as absolutely false ?.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are One. Is someone attmpting to be controversial here? That would be a ploy, dishonest., even possibly a bait and switch. God bless all to deal levelly with each other in the forum.
Exactly, Three separate entities comprising on God. God bless you too for your insightful respectful replies on this topic.

F

FollowingtheWay

“The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭1‬:‭15‬-‭17‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭1‬:‭19‬-‭20‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. To this end I strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭1‬:‭27‬, ‭29‬ ‭NIV‬‬

F

FollowingtheWay

“You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you. For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8‬:‭9‬, ‭11‬, ‭14‬-‭17‬ ‭NIV‬‬

F

FollowingtheWay

“Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”
‭‭John‬ ‭14‬:‭10‬, ‭12‬-‭13‬, ‭17‬-‭21‬, ‭26‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Will there ever be full agreement on the trinity 🤔

God Is Like An Egg
Published in the December 2010 issue of Faithlink, the magazine of Faith Methodist Church
God is like ...

Have you wondered what is God like? Or have you ever tried to teach kids about the Trinity? Many of us would use analogies to explain the Trinity. For example, I would say, "God is like an egg." An egg is made up of shell, white and yolk. God is like an egg in that He is 3-in-1 ... God the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit.

1690641341694.png

But God is NOT like an egg ...
in that He is not made up of three parts ... one part (⅓) the Father, another part (⅓) Jesus Christ and a third part (⅓) the Holy Spirit. The Father is fully God; Jesus is fully God and the Holy Spirit is fully God. Each one is fully 100% God. Yet we do not have three gods but ONE God. The Trinity is not 1 + 1 + 1 but more like 1 x 1 x 1.

You can throw away one part of an egg (e.g., shell) and still have essentially an egg. But we cannot do that (assuming we can) with God. One cannot remove the Holy Spirit and still have the God as taught in the Bible.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
really I don't have time to become denominational over the trinity.

We hear this story about Jws pestering people but that's far from the truth, they go to people's houses to spread the word, then we here theses stories about prefabricated truths about latter day saints.

Then all of sudden there demonised.

Mormons claim that God the Father was once a man and that he then progressed to godhood (that is, he is a now-exalted, immortal man with a flesh-and-bone body). “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also;” but “The Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit.”
Brigham Young once remarked, “How many Gods there are, I do not know. But there never was a time when there were not Gods and worlds.” God is a man with a body of flesh and bones like us."

They don't believe in the trinity...
Joseph Smith prophesied against the Trinity, saying that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are three separate Gods.”

Mormons believe that Jesus Christ was the firstborn spirit-child of the heavenly Father and a heavenly Mother. Jesus then progressed to deity in the spirit world. He was later physically conceived in Mary’s womb, as the literal “only begotten” Son of God the Father in the flesh.

The Encyclopedia of Mormonism teaches that there is a “Mother in Heaven,” who is like the Heavenly Father “in glory, perfection, compassion, wisdom, and holiness.” God “is plural,” it declares.

So if we look at what they believe above, it is false doctrine. The Word doesn't say any of that. Gal. says "But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed." Those are pretty serious words. We must be sure that we are sharing the full Gospel, the truth of the Word not false doctrine. That doesn't mean you can't be kind to people, but you cannot agree with false doctrine.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Mormons claim that God the Father was once a man and that he then progressed to godhood (that is, he is a now-exalted, immortal man with a flesh-and-bone body). “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also;” but “The Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit.”
Brigham Young once remarked, “How many Gods there are, I do not know. But there never was a time when there were not Gods and worlds.” God is a man with a body of flesh and bones like us."

They don't believe in the trinity...
Joseph Smith prophesied against the Trinity, saying that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are three separate Gods.”

Mormons believe that Jesus Christ was the firstborn spirit-child of the heavenly Father and a heavenly Mother. Jesus then progressed to deity in the spirit world. He was later physically conceived in Mary’s womb, as the literal “only begotten” Son of God the Father in the flesh.

The Encyclopedia of Mormonism teaches that there is a “Mother in Heaven,” who is like the Heavenly Father “in glory, perfection, compassion, wisdom, and holiness.” God “is plural,” it declares.

So if we look at what they believe above, it is false doctrine. The Word doesn't say any of that. Gal. says "But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed." Those are pretty serious words. We must be sure that we are sharing the full Gospel, the truth of the Word not false doctrine. That doesn't mean you can't be kind to people, but you cannot agree with false doctrine.
there not called Mormons there called latter day saints.

I have spoke to one face to face he didn't believe any of the rumours already spread about them. That Lucifer was God's brother or that we have all been here before

Or that a man became God.

He told me he only believed in the new testament..

I don't know if your associating Mormons to latter day saints.

I don't even know what a Mormon is and I've yet to meat anyone who said they where a Mormon.

As far as I can see if there is such thing it's a secret society

SilverFox7

Dec 24, 2022
Grand Rapids, Michigan
And here is one evidence from Scripture that proves that you are thoroughly confused.
And Jesus [GOD THE SON], when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God [GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT] descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven [GOD THE FATHER'S VOICE], saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
The Trinity is a core doctrine of our Christian faith as you note quite well in the above quote, but it is an abstraction as well even for mature Christians to grasp because it extends beyond our finite realm into the infinite.

Where the waters get muddy is factoring in another core doctrine of the Christian faith, that God is One:

Mark 12:28-30

King James Version

28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?

29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

The best summary I've been given is God is One and composed of three distinct persons--The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit.

How can God be One and also Three? That doesn't make sense in discrete math and science.

I think marriage helps me to understand the Trinity better. Lisa and I are two distinct persons, yet we are also one in our marriage.

God is One. Jesus reaffirms what was clearly stated in the book of Deuteronomy as a prelude for saying the first and greatest commandment--to love God with our whole being.

In my relationship with God in general:

I pray to God the Father and view Him as Almighty God within the Holy-of-Holies throne room of the 3rd Heavens. He is my loving Father overall.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior, and I close my prayers in His name. I also talk and walk with Him continually, and I address Him as "Lord" in my conversations (e.g. Lord help me get along with my boss better...).

The Holy Spirit lives within me. He is an ongoing Comforter that is changing me from the inside out to live more like Jesus.

I know I'm oversimplifying, and my Christian walk is much more complicated than the summary above.

I hope it helps!

Good stuff brothers! Love the in-depth striving for the truth and improving our understanding!

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
How can God be One and also Three? That doesn't make sense in discrete math and science...to love God with our whole being.
There could be this, of course, for 'Three Are One' - God's Own Creations!:

1) time, space, and matter = one universe

2) proton, neutron, and electron = one atom

3) body, soul, and spirt = one 'whole being' to "love God With!"

Amen.