I've Become What I Despise

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Amen bro. You know I despise self righteousness, and yet here I was looking at this guy and shaking my head in a disapproving manner, and that's not like me. We are not to be like that, so indeed, I have to do some soul searching and ask God to bring me back to where I need to be.

On a side note, I looked up the preacher on line and he's usually dressed in business clothes so maybe his attire yesterday was for a special purpose, then again, maybe it wasn't. I just know I'd rather be blind than judgmental.
We all suffer from the human condition. I think he was targeting a particular audience.

No doubt, bro. I remember one time walking into a sanctuary that was adorned with well over a million dollars in artwork and statues, and all I could think about was how many mouths could have been fed with that money.
This reminds me of Jesus saying we would always have the poor :(

Things like this always remind me of one time I was in a grocery store parking lot and witnessed someone deliberately running into a shopping cart with their van. I made some face face and may have rolled my eyes a bit and the guy in the van came after me, he was so upset that I had judged him as doing wrong when he had actually been trying to slow down the runaway cart so it could not damage any parked vehicles. I felt so bad for being such an *ahem* and it also struck me how much it bothered him and his need to let me know the reason behind his actions. He was not angry, just upset that I had judged him not even knowing the full story...

I think it is part of why confession and forgiveness are so
important. Confession because it allows us to see that we are
not alone in our defects. Forgiveness because it free us from
the guilt and shame that prevent us from moving forward.

Jan 27, 2013
makes you wonder, why jesus christ continued ,when on earth, why the first christian movement continued, when on earth ie the apostles , paul etc , given not everyone , who listened ,will listen. not everyone that did listen would hear. and with history s moral lesson , not everyone would, let you live your natural life s expectancy. because of what they said.

must be hard having a choice ,to read your bible or listen to an other speaker.

being in a life threatening position ,when speaking the gospel, is what some people miss, when reading parts of the bible.(food for thought, to the blind eyes, that all things spoken , in the bible ,were a peaceful chance,to share the gospel with no consequences to the speakers )

Feb 28, 2016
when we think about how they tore His garment and cast lots,
I envision nothing more than the simplest of woven threads...

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
when we think about how they tore His garment and cast lots,
I envision nothing more than the simplest of woven threads...
It probably was a simple garment, but it was also very skillfully made.

I've always found one single detail, and I believe it's only mentioned in this one verse (John 19:23) to be quite fascinating: "The garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom."

As someone who's dabbled a bit in sewing, this stood out to me because anyone who's tried to construct clothes would realize that this particular piece Jesus was wearing was a little bit out of the ordinary. If you look at the clothes you're (hopefully :D) wearing right now, you'll find all sorts of places where two or more pieces of cut cloth are joined together with thread and stitching.

But the Bible says that Jesus' garment was woven from top to bottom in one piece, without any seams. In other words, it was likely made (and I'm only speculating here--anyone out there who knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me) by a skilled craftsperson... and that kind of skill is usually reflected in the cost of the garment.

I read a commentary once that explained this is why the soldiers cast lots for this particular piece and told each other not to tear it--because it was valuable, and worth something.

I have often wondered if Jesus chose and bought it Himself with money donated to His ministry--did Jesus Himself pick out a more expensive garment?--or if someone of skill and/or monetary means bought or made it for Him.

In either case, Jesus went to the cross in what was seen as a highly valued piece, and not just in a Walmart Rollback Special.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2016
the value was in Who was wearing it...

any weaver-knitter or tatter can create a one-piece-garment...

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
It probably was a simple garment, but it was also very skillfully made.

I've always found one single detail, and I believe it's only mentioned in this one verse (John 19:23) to be quite fascinating: "The garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom."

As someone who's dabbled a bit in sewing, this stood out to me because anyone who's tried to construct clothes would realize that this particular piece Jesus was wearing was a little bit out of the ordinary. If you look at the clothes you're (hopefully :D) wearing right now, you'll find all sorts of places where two or more pieces of cut cloth are joined together with thread and stitching.

But the Bible says that Jesus' garment was woven from top to bottom in one piece, without any seams. In other words, it was likely made (and I'm only speculating here--anyone out there who knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me) by a skilled craftsperson... and that kind of skill is usually reflected in the cost of the garment.

I read a commentary once that explained this is why the soldiers cast lots for this particular piece and told each other not to tear it--because it was valuable, and worth something.

I have often wondered if Jesus chose and bought it Himself with money donated to His ministry--did Jesus Himself pick out a more expensive garment?--or if someone of skill and/or monetary means bought or made it for Him.

In either case, Jesus went to the cross in what was seen as a highly valued piece, and not just in a Walmart Rollback Special.
Maybe Mary made it for Him, or one of His other female followers :)

Of course, that is not to say that men cannot weave or knit...

Feb 28, 2016
that was my first thought, Magenta, that His mother made it for Him...

U

Ugly

This notion of a suit and tie pastor is just a man made cultural rule. People clinging more to their self appointed rules and condemning those that don't fall in line and ignoring someone preaching God's word. Legalism at it's finest.

And dressing up to enter God's presence? Do you dress up before you pray? If you're at home and fall into worship do you stop dingo change? Isn't God about using people we don't think are usable by man's standards? Last i remember Jesus was born to people without nice clothes. Or even a place to live yet we judge someone for not 'being in God's presence' in nice clothes.

Utah

Banned
Dec 1, 2014
This notion of a suit and tie pastor is just a man made cultural rule. People clinging more to their self appointed rules and condemning those that don't fall in line and ignoring someone preaching God's word. Legalism at it's finest.

And dressing up to enter God's presence? Do you dress up before you pray? If you're at home and fall into worship do you stop dingo change? Isn't God about using people we don't think are usable by man's standards? Last i remember Jesus was born to people without nice clothes. Or even a place to live yet we judge someone for not 'being in God's presence' in nice clothes.
Not much of that taking place in this thread. Even in my error I despair, and yet glory be to God, His grace has been shared.