James Webb Space Telescope Continues to Challenge Big Bang Cosmology

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 29, 2022
https://www.icr.org/article/webb-telescope-continues/

...in any case, by Big Bang reckoning, we should be seeing these very distant galaxies—not as they are now, but as they were almost 14 billion years ago. Hence, these galaxies should appear very “unevolved” and “immature.” Yet, this expectation is routinely contradicted,7-9 and data from the JWST are making the disagreement even worse.
Big Bang theorists have to keep “pushing back” the times at which the first stars and galaxies supposedly appeared, because no matter how deep we look into space, stars and galaxies already exist! This puts increasing stress on the Big Bang model. Mainstream astronomers claim that stars and galaxies form ‘naturally’ over millions of years and that the Big Bang occurred 13.8 billion years ago. So, by their reckoning, no star or galaxy can possibly be more than 13.8 billion years old. But as the supposed ages of the first stars edge closer and closer to 13.8 billion years, there is less and less ‘time’ for natural processes to ‘make’ stars and galaxies, even if one ignores the scientific problems with naturalistic star and galaxy formation theories.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022

...in any case, by Big Bang reckoning, we should be seeing these very distant galaxies—not as they are now, but as they were almost 14 billion years ago. Hence, these galaxies should appear very “unevolved” and “immature.” Yet, this expectation is routinely contradicted,7-9 and data from the JWST are making the disagreement even worse.
Big Bang theorists have to keep “pushing back” the times at which the first stars and galaxies supposedly appeared, because no matter how deep we look into space, stars and galaxies already exist! This puts increasing stress on the Big Bang model. Mainstream astronomers claim that stars and galaxies form ‘naturally’ over millions of years and that the Big Bang occurred 13.8 billion years ago. So, by their reckoning, no star or galaxy can possibly be more than 13.8 billion years old. But as the supposed ages of the first stars edge closer and closer to 13.8 billion years, there is less and less ‘time’ for natural processes to ‘make’ stars and galaxies, even if one ignores the scientific problems with naturalistic star and galaxy formation theories.
So, according to this than the universe might be older then? Like, 15 or 16 billion years old?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
ICR & BIG BANG

1.) I'm not sure why ICR is spending so much effort going after the Big Band theory.
The Big Bang actually gives perfect corroboration for Genesis 1:1, and places the atheists into an extraordinary dilemma due to a very apparent creatio ex nihilo.

2.) The article cited, despite it's intentions, does not really offer any evidence to refute the big bang theory... just kind of weak assertions for questioning it. The article proves nothing, for either side of the issue.

3.) It seems that ICR is so focused in defending Young Earth Creationism, that they are inadvertently undermining the very science that proves "creation out of nothing."

I realize these are controversial issues in Christendom. But if we are going to cut off a limb to make a point... we should really proceed with a lot of caution.

CONCLUSION:
A.) The article is interesting, but doesn't prove anything, for either side of the issue.
B.) I'm sure the ICR staff are great people, and they have great intentions.. I wouldn't question their integrity.
C.) Attempting to undermine the Big Bang Theory is a very odd way to go about doing apologetics... because the Big Bang verifies "creation out of nothing."

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021

The James Webb Space Telescope never disproved the Big Bang. Here's how that falsehood spread.

The James Webb Space Telescope never disproved the Big Bang | Space

• The James Webb Space Telescope might have just imaged very old, large, well-formed galaxies that defy current predictions.
  • Some are claiming that the Big Bang theory is wrong. More likely, there is a mundane explanation for this observation, such as dust or poor calibration.
  • Even if the observation is correct, the findings would require us to rethink how matter forms into galaxies in the early Universe; they would not disprove the Big Bang.
No, James Webb did not disprove the Big Bang - Big Think

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021
The James Webb Space Telescope never disproved the Big Bang. Here's how that falsehood spread.

The James Webb Space Telescope never disproved the Big Bang | Space

• The James Webb Space Telescope might have just imaged very old, large, well-formed galaxies that defy current predictions.
  • Some are claiming that the Big Bang theory is wrong. More likely, there is a mundane explanation for this observation, such as dust or poor calibration.
  • Even if the observation is correct, the findings would require us to rethink how matter forms into galaxies in the early Universe; they would not disprove the Big Bang.
No, James Webb did not disprove the Big Bang - Big Think

The James Webb telescope in finding some new things, but they don't negate the BIG BANG THEORY!

Dec 29, 2022
So, according to this than the universe might be older then? Like, 15 or 16 billion years old?
According to Big Bang cosmology, a lot younger.

Dec 29, 2022
ICR & BIG BANG

1.) I'm not sure why ICR is spending so much effort going after the Big Band theory.
The Big Bang actually gives perfect corroboration for Genesis 1:1, and places the atheists into an extraordinary dilemma due to a very apparent creatio ex nihilo.

2.) The article cited, despite it's intentions, does not really offer any evidence to refute the big bang theory... just kind of weak assertions for questioning it. The article proves nothing, for either side of the issue.

3.) It seems that ICR is so focused in defending Young Earth Creationism, that they are inadvertently undermining the very science that proves "creation out of nothing."

I realize these are controversial issues in Christendom. But if we are going to cut off a limb to make a point... we should really proceed with a lot of caution.

CONCLUSION:
A.) The article is interesting, but doesn't prove anything, for either side of the issue.
B.) I'm sure the ICR staff are great people, and they have great intentions.. I wouldn't question their integrity.
C.) Attempting to undermine the Big Bang Theory is a very odd way to go about doing apologetics... because the Big Bang verifies "creation out of nothing."

The critical thing is the continual disappointment of the Naturalistic expectations of Big Bang cosmologists. The Big Bang is still Naturalism, not Creationism.

But if you actually read the article, you would answer your own question.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
ICR & BIG BANG

CONCLUSION:

I think that the primary refutation is to the "billions of years" requirement that the BB (gravity drive model) inevitably carries with it.

BTW......a plasma universe cosmology postulating the "Z-pinch" as the ultimate mechanism for the formation of galaxies, stars and solar systems dovetails beautifully with the biblical creation account. In more ways than one. Furthermore......vast spans of time are utterly unnecessary given the parameter space.

Barry is on top of these new developments.....worth a listen take my word for it.
Keep in mind that Barry is a bona fide professional Astronomer.
Disclaimer: I do not agree with EVERYTHING Barry has to say.....but I can agree that he is indeed on the right path with this line of thought.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
The critical thing is the continual disappointment of the Naturalistic expectations of Big Bang cosmologists. The Big Bang is still Naturalism, not Creationism.

"But if you actually read the article, you would answer your own question.

Theopolitan,
Thank you for posting a thoughtful and polite reply.
I'll try to answer some of your points in the same way.

1.) "But if you actually read the article, you would answer your own question."

I don't have any questions. Any questions I posed were purely rhetorical... I answered them in my own post.

(FYI, I did read the original article; I always check original sources before posting.)

2.) "The Big Bang is still Naturalism, not Creationism."

I think that statement is well intended, but it's a poor framing of the issue.

Why?
That statement is a reference to causal agency, but the The Big Bang theory has nothing to do with causal agents... it's akin to shooting at a goose and calling it a giraffe.

a.) As far as I'm aware, the BIG BANG THEORY is only a description of a PHYSICAL EVENT... not an advocacy, or denial, of any particular causal agent. It's just a description of an event.
b.) We all describe physical events, all the time, every day. We do this in a religiously neutral way, and we never think twice about it. So every time you say "it rained", and you don't mention God... are you being a wicked naturalist? No. Of course not.
c.) We shouldn't infer more into things than is really there.
d.) Regarding God: A description of a physical phenomenon is "agency neutral" by definition... until such time as we posit a causal agent, and also posit the number of regressions we want to move backward in time. This is how we talk, and think, in daily life.
- Is the cause of today's rain merely today's weather? Or do we want to say it's the particular meteorological circumstances of the entire week? Or do we want to say it's the result of the meteorological changes throughout the entire year, or decade, or century? Or do we want to go all the way back to the original source, and say "God made it rain." Which level of causality do we wish to talk about? They are ALL CORRECT when we're talking about the natural world God created.
- And finally, if it rained, then it rained... whether I invoke God, or invoked meteorology, or invoked no cause at all... it still rained.
e.) Therefore, when we simply describe something in the natural world, it is causally neutral, and neither religious nor anti-religious, until such time as we posit the causal agent. This is how language works, how logic works... and you'll find the Bible reflecting these same ideas in it's descriptions of events.
f.) TO CLARIFY: An observation of the physical world is just an observation of the physical world; and as long as it is a true observation, it is neither religious nor anti-religious until a causal agent is posited.
g.) If I say, "Looks like it rained a lot yesterday." that neither invokes God, nor denies God, it's just a description of a physical phenomenon.
h. As far as I'm aware, this is what the Big Bang Theory is... it's just a description of a physical phenomena, not that different from the weather.
- If it's raining, we can posit, pretty intelligently, that it must have been preceded by clouds, and accumulation of moisture, whether or not we ever saw those things.
- If the wind is blowing toward the South, we can posit it must have come from some point to the North.
- Likewise, when we see certain things in the cosmos, like everything moving a certain direction, we can intelligently say, "if things are all moving one direction, they must have all come from the opposite direction"... like all things do. That is really all we're talking about with the Big Bang Theory. We're just looking at things moving, just like anything else we see, and working that trajectory backward.
i.) i can't see that the Big Bang theory, at least in it's rudimentary form, takes on any religious or anti-religious connotations, until such time as we posit causal agents.
- If an atheist wants to include causal agents which are contrary to scripture (such as fluctuations in a quantum vacuum, which are nonsensical for other reasons) then I'd assert such agents are not really part of the Big Bang Theory at all.
- In it's rudimentary form, I don't believe the Big Bang Theory does anything to deny, contradict, or exclude God.
J. If my final statement in point "i" is not clear, then we can get into that in more detail.

3.) What is the real issue here?

The real issue is not that the Big Bang Theory is unreasonable, or unscientific, or that it discounts creation, or that it discounts God... the real issue is that it appears to disagree with the Young Earth Creationist's age of the earth.

I'm not going to get into that debate.

However, let's at least be honest, and identify that as the real issue.

Theopolitan, thank you for an interesting thread, and for responding politely.
I wrote a lot of stuff "off the cuff", so it's likely I stated something poorly.
God Bless, and have a great weekend.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Is it just me or when you see the moniker Theopolitan, do you wonder if there won't be ice-cream in heaven?

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
@maxwel you have a lot of patience with these topics but another thing I don’t understand with the common logic is : if we see galaxies at the edge of the Birth of the universe which is 14 billion years old, and if the common understanding is that galaxies should take 400 million years to develop, then why not change these assumption dates?
Either make the universe longer (15 billion years) to allow for galaxies to form or make the development time of galaxies shorter to something about 10 million years.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
@maxwel you have a lot of patience with these topics but another thing I don’t understand with the common logic is : if we see galaxies at the edge of the Birth of the universe which is 14 billion years old, and if the common understanding is that galaxies should take 400 million years to develop, then why not change these assumption dates?
Either make the universe longer (15 billion years) to allow for galaxies to form or make the development time of galaxies shorter to something about 10 million years.
Friend....did you care to look at these introductory videos? BB is junk science bro. Everyone with more than a thimbleful of brains know this.

https://christianchat.com/threads/j...llenge-big-bang-cosmology.209626/post-5015704

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Friend....did you care to look at these introductory videos? BB is junk science bro. Everyone with more than a thimbleful of brains know this.

https://christianchat.com/threads/j...llenge-big-bang-cosmology.209626/post-5015704
I didnt look at the videos no. I don’t have a lot of time or incentive to look at a 4 hour video if you can tell me a short summary why you think big bang is junk.
‘Is it because it’s in direct conflict with young earth as maxwell said?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Why not change the assumed dates?
I'm not the person to answer that.
I'm not an astrophysicist... so I wouldn't even know where to start.
I'm more familiar with the philosophical issues, and how those relate to apologetics.

The Philosophy:
A.) The Big Bang Theory, if it's correct, indicates there was a point before time when there was nothing... no space, time, matter, energy... just nothing.
B.) And then time, space and matter all just popped into being.
C.) The universe cannot have created itself, as that would mean it had to exist before it existed... so that doesn't work.
D.) The universe could not have occurred by any kind of random act, as there was literally NOTHING to act, or be acted upon... nothing random can occur in nothingness.
(We can also exclude the atheist rebuttal here about quantum vacuums. No particles were spontaneously popping into existence from a quantum vacuum, as some atheists claim. This was a point prior to the physical universe, when there was "nothing", and the whole concept of "nothing" precludes the existence of anything that is "something", and a quantum vacuum is a something... thus there was no quantum vacuum in existence.)
E.) Yet there still had to be some kind of action to create all the something out of nothing; something had to act... something had to act and create. However, this was a point when there was nothing, nothing whatsoever, nothing in the material realm to do this acting... because this was before matter existed.
Yet some kind of agent had to ACT... by sheer logical necessity something must have acted, in order to create something out of the nothing.
F.) Since there was no space, time, or matter... then the agent had to be spaceless, timeless, and immaterial.
G.) To create the universe, the agent also had to be incredibly powerful.
H.) To create the universe, the agent also had to possess volition.. a will and thus a mind. Because there was a perfect stasis, and then this suddenly changed to a state of action and creation, something had to cause this radical change from stasis to action. Things in stasis don't change, on their own, by any kind of necessity. So if this change didn't occur by necessity, and it couldn't have been affected by anything outside of the agent as there wasn't anything outside of the agent, then the change must have occurred due to the VOLITION of the agent. This volition indicates a will and a mind.
I.) So, for the universe to COME INTO BEING, we are stuck with the absolute necessity of an outside causal agent which is: spaceless, timeless, and immaterial, with incredible power, and with a mind and a will. This kind of immaterial agent, in the Judaeo-Christian tradition, is what we call GOD.
J.) Therefore, the Big Bang, if it is correct, gives a great deal of evidence for God, and it perfectly corroborates the Biblical proposition of "creatio ex nihilo"... and it gives no evidence to support atheism.

Conclusion:
- That is roughly, very roughly, how the philosophy argument works.
- For the astrophysics, you'll need to talk to an astrophysicist.
- Caveat: We should NOT give too much credence to any scientist when he abandons the realm of science, and starts discussing philosophy. This is where scientists are really prone to error, and most of them do a very poor job. Even the great Stephen Hawking failed miserably at this.