Joshua 10:13 "And the sun stood still..."

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Married_Richenbrachen

Thanks for the encouragement, I don't feel so alone now. Especially after God showed me this in a very personal and intimate way.
There are good books that explain how the evidence supports the Earth isn't rotating or revolving. While most Christians are happy to accept what God says about biology (i.e. evolution is false), many are often stiff-necked and hard-hearted when it comes to what He says about astronomy (i.e. heliocentrism is false). Until a few years ago, I was like this too, but He has revealed to me the truth of the matter. The first 3 days of Genesis just don't make sense if there is nothing for the Earth to orbit, yet Heliocentrism is true.

I now believe heliocentrism was what made evolutionism possible (without the belief that Earth is insignificant, people could not have accepted that man also is insignificant).

A thread on the subject. I believe Zone has some good posts about the religious (Kabbalah) origins of heliocentricity.
http://christianchat.com/miscellaneous/55743-geocentrism-18.html

A good book I am reading on the subject (Walter van der Kamp).
http://www.ldolphin.org/geocentricity/Kamp2.pdf

Dec 12, 2013
And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves on their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the middle of heaven, and hurried not to go down about a whole day.

God a liar? Or was we deceived to believe that the Earth orbits around the Sun? N.A.S.A, while during their equation to land on the Moon, the variable for Earth was always stationary (not moving), while taking account the Moon isn't stationary, but moving. Helicentrism vs. Geocentrism, which one do you believe? Please take note that Geocentrism (Earth doesn't move, Sun + Planets revolve around Earth) was in fact never disproved.
The statement, "the sun stood still" and the "moon stayed" are not necessarily indicative of them moving and the earth not rotating. Not to mention the fact that for Geocentrism to be correct, means that ever twenty four hour time period the entire solar system must revolve around the earth. Foolish is a good word to describe it. Second, when Hezekiah wanted a sign that he would not die the Sun went back 10 degrees on the sun dial. God can do all so I will not argue the ability of God to (STOP) the whole clock with His little finger and if he so chooses can set it back (10 degrees) on the dial.

Jul 25, 2013
How about you get behind me satan? If you can't have respect for a decent conversation and want to start useless and disorder, i suggest you get out of here and learn what God taught us all, it's called respect and love for one another. Also, read your Bible about treating others the way you want to be treated. Then you can come back at me, and I'll answer your questions. To he who has friends, he must show himself friendly. God bless, learn Jesus. Not disrespect.
Woops, I got Ex 17:11 mixed up with Josh 10:13

I read your suggestion and now I have a suggestion: Practice what you preach and please, none of you jail cell RESPECT theory talk, I commend respect I don't try to command it.

K

Kerry

NASA was to compensate for a missing day, which is attributed to Joshua and Hezekiah.

kingerik

Sep 25, 2013
Two other possible explanations....A slowing of earth's normal rotation gave Joshua more time as the the original Hebrew language seems to point to, or Some unusual refraction of the sun's rays gave additional hours of light. Regardless of God's chosen method, the Bible is clear that the day was prolonged by a miracle, and it was BECAUSE OF GOD that the battle was turned.

K

Kerry

Still looking to your fleshy minds. Why did only the Egyptians lose their first born while the children of Israel did not. The ate the same food, lived in the same area. Noted by Rahab a harlot of Jericho who had heard of the miracle of God. You cannot explain God with this finite mind. You accept and believe or you don't.

Jul 25, 2013
Still looking to your fleshy minds. Why did only the Egyptians lose their first born while the children of Israel did not. The ate the same food, lived in the same area. Noted by Rahab a harlot of Jericho who had heard of the miracle of God. You cannot explain God with this finite mind. You accept and believe or you don't.
I believe it was because of passover. When the angel of death passed over the children of Israel.

K

Kerry

It was because of the blood, that symbolised the cross. Understand that in the OT they had to do something that symbolized the cross. Now in the new it is our faith in the work of the cross and not works

M

Married_Richenbrachen

The statement, "the sun stood still" and the "moon stayed" are not necessarily indicative of them moving and the earth not rotating.
Says who? You, or God?

Not to mention the fact that for Geocentrism to be correct, means that ever twenty four hour time period the entire solar system must revolve around the earth. Foolish is a good word to describe it.
Better words to describe it are scriptural and biblical.

What does God say about folly, and the wisdom of this world?

1 Cor 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1 Cor 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Second, when Hezekiah wanted a sign that he would not die the Sun went back 10 degrees on the sun dial. God can do all so I will not argue the ability of God to (STOP) the whole clock with His little finger and if he so chooses can set it back (10 degrees) on the dial.
So His little finger can stop a sun dial and if He chooses, turn it back 10 degrees, but He can't make a "solar system" that revolves about the Earth? Who is deciding what God can and can't do?

Two other possible explanations....A slowing of earth's normal rotation gave Joshua more time as the the original Hebrew language seems to point to, or Some unusual refraction of the sun's rays gave additional hours of light. Regardless of God's chosen method, the Bible is clear that the day was prolonged by a miracle, and it was BECAUSE OF GOD that the battle was turned.
God actually tells us what happened.

Joshua 10:12 Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

What Joshua said I've highlighted bold, what the inspired writer of scripture says bold and underlined. Note what neither God nor Joshua say... "Slow, oh Earth's normal rotation about the sun, and slow, thou moon's normal rotation about the Earth"..."So the normal rotation of the Earth slowed around the sun, and the rotation of the moon slowed about the Earth". Neither do either say "Unusually diffract, oh sun's rays as you chance upon the Earth". :) Your explanations are to astronomy what evolution is to biology.

Dec 12, 2013
NASA was to compensate for a missing day, which is attributed to Joshua and Hezekiah.
Yes you are right...another proof of the validity of the scriptures as the heavens declare that missing hour...wow it is awesome! God is awesome in his power and ability. The best power we have to offer is like an (ant on a treadmill generator) in light of the awesomeness of our God and His power/ability. HAHAH