Judging people because of their teeth...Sup with that?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GRA

I have good teeth, but I have always kinda thought they were too big for my mouth.

HUSH Stilly...I know I'm setting myself up by saying that, but don't go for the easy ones :p
I'm letting this one go... because it's just too easy.
:)
But - OHHHHH, how I am SOOOOO tempted!!! :D

;)

G

GRA

That's kinda where my brain went when I thought about this question. Normally, if you see someone with a flashing perfect smile, what it tells you is that this person has a lot of money to spend on teeth.
What about the opposite? How many people see someone with bad teeth and think:

"They [ just simply ] must not be able to afford getting their teeth fixed right now..."

"Teeth CAN be fixed, 'ya know..." :rolleyes:

People see bad teeth -- and, like a lot of other things - they assume the worst.

It is understandable; however, it is still a 'bummer'...

What is REALLY a 'bummer' --- is being single and having bad teeth...

'bad teeth' + 'quick first-impression assumptions' =>

"I guess it is going to be a lonely existance for a long time to come..." :(

May 24, 2013
I saw a commercial on TV.
The actress/spokes woman/whatever was a mother with bad teeth.
She said her daughter asked why she had mustard on her teeth.
The mother then goes on to explain how she didn't want her daughter to be ashamed of her because of the bad teeth.

A light went on in my head.<--Figure of speech for you hyper literalists.

There is really a cultural stigma toward those with bad dental work/teeth.
People get judged for that.

With all the cultural battles to fight against intolerance/discrimination/hate/etc of many kinds, this stigmatizing of people with bad teeth has flown under the radar.

Why do we make such amazingly negative judgements of people with bad teeth? Why is that allowed? It's really an accepted bias by the majority in our culture. Is there something special about teeth?

How much money is spent every year by people just so they can avoid this accepted stigma?

How come if someone gets some type of unneeded cosmetic surgery not related to teeth, that surgery gets stigmatized as vain. But if someone gets unneeded cosmetic treatment for their teeth, that's almost viewed as a necessity and such work isn't stigmatized as vain?
...yes, absolutely valid point; I always check prospective brides-to-be dental work and condition - and make sure that I would not inherit some hefty dental bills ... :D

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

This isn't shocking... People are judged because of there weight, clothes, hair, car, i could go on and on... so why not teeth. It only makes sense.

A

Avalonjunky

Well the reality is that we as Chrisitans aren't to judge anyone for anything. At least according to the word of God. Given this knowledge we are to love one another as he loves us. However there are those in this world who walk 'in darkness' of this knowledge and do not know the proper way to treat people. I was raised to believe that this is because they are in capable of even slightly respecting themselves.

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
Money plays a big role in dental work. I've had some done this year a couple of crowns a bridge a root canal, I've spent about 2,000 dollars. And I have insurance.
I had all my teeth removed long ago.. no silly dental place gonna nickel and dime me my entire life.

May 24, 2013
This isn't shocking... People are judged because of there weight, clothes, hair, car, i could go on and on... so why not teeth. It only makes sense.
...absolutely..., who wants to end up with huge dental bills --- one needs to make sure the teeth are in order, and also get family (grandmother, aunts etc) and friends to double check the said brides-to-be teeth to ensure you have not missed anything; in fact booking for a dental viewing/check up in addition would be paramount to ensure ongoing marital dental bliss ensues :)

May 24, 2013
If you discount the things like dipping, chewing, smoking, meth addictions, etc, if ALL people went without any cosmetic/dental work like braces/veneers/retainers/etc, the shape/formation of teeth actually wouldn't tell ya squat about a person....

Well other than the person was born with genes which gave them perfect or imperfect teeth.
...tobacco chewing as well...:D

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
I have a friend that uses Crest White Strips, her teeth are very white, like as white as this background. I've tried to whiten with this gel I had to put on and leave on overnight, but it was so gross I never did it again.

H

Hellooo

My late maternal grandfather didn't have any teeth for as long as I knew him...I got in terrible trouble with my parents once as a kiddo for hiding his falsies in a drawer (afterwards he would scare me by popping his teeth out randomly). He was a trip, he had himself a set of perfect pearly whites, and when he would come visit us in the states he would ask my dad to help him dye his hair jet black out in our garage :D

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
For the first time ever i feel guilty for having braces when I was 14 to straighten my bad teef. :(

Sep 8, 2012
The thing about teeth is it's a combo of things.
As most have already pointed out including you Still.

I consider it one of the last ways people can be politically correct and still be prejudiced(against bad teeth).
Just another sign of the fallen nature of 'Oh, so perfectible man'.
American media pokes fun of the English about it all day long.
Because the English are smart and don't drink fluoride.
But the U.S is big on fluoridating it's water supply.
So every time a Britisher is portrayed in a movie or skit they have bad teeth.(Comedy, takes the edge off)
It's all part of a monstrous conspiracy to get more and more people drinking(injesting) fluoride.
Fluoride is an industrial waste and a toxin.
It kills bacteria on teeth because it is poison.
Imagine what it's doing to the organs.
- But I'm sure it's O.K. in small doses over long periods of time......NOT!
- The British are smart and know not to contaminate their water supplies with poison, so the U.S. power elite make a point of showing just how bad their teeth are.
- It's reality, get used to it.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2011
Dental1.jpg

Well, I think teeth are pretty important. It's hard to get other people to chew your food up for you.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Just iresistible bumping,instead of typing some ideas agen from hir.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
Meh... my teeth are crooked , but I don't care who likes them or not..they don't bother me one bit. :p