King James

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

mhaley4

In January of 1604, the King called the Hampton Court Conference in order to hear of things "pretended to be amiss" in the church. At this conference, Dr. John Reynolds, a Puritan, requested of the King a new translation of the Bible because those that were allowed during the reigns of Henry the VIII and Edward the VI were corrupt.
The King loved the idea and by July of 1604 the King had appointed 54 men to the translation committee. These men were not only the best linguists and scholars in the kingdom, but in the world. Much of their work on the King James Bible formed the basis for our linguistic studies of today.
The translators were organized into six groups and met respectively at Westminster, Cambridge, and Oxford. This group of great scholars had qualifications such as have not been rivaled before or after them. They spent most of their lifetimes in the pursuit of God and knowledge. One translator, Dr. Lancelot Andrews, mastered at least 15 languages and by the time he was 6 years old, he had read the entire Bible in Hebrew. Others on the translation committee were just as qualified. Some wrote foreign language dictionaries and lexicons, they commonly debated in Greek, they translated and edited great works and wrote their own. These are but a few of their fantastic accomplishments. They not only knew the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek biblical languages but also the related languages that shed light on them such as Arabic, Persian, Coptic, Syriac, Latin, Chaldee, Spanish, French, Italian, and Dutch.
I would truly LOVE to discuss this with any willing party agreeable to an open dialogue.
Mike

Jan 4, 2013
That is fascinating, I will admit I am new to faith and have much to learn and study from the bible. But If you are willing to answer ignorant questions I would love to listen.

M

mhaley4

Hello Michael, (that'll be easy to remember - My name is Michael :eek:),
You ask anything you'd like - There's no such thing as ignorant questions my friend. I must tell you though, I am probably, by a strict definition, not a christian. I pay little attention to any religious dogma. I am however a deeply spiritual man who prays to God minute by minute. Quite pleased to make your acquaintance sir. I look forward to hearing from you... And many others I hope :)
Mike

Jan 4, 2013
I have a question that probably does not contain much faith.. But when such important book translated, how would it be known if something was not tampered with or changed completely? I guess what I ask is who can truly decide what bible/s are corrupt or in contrast, authentically original?

Dec 5, 2012
May I point out that the original KJV had all the books a catholic bible has. It was only about 124 years ago that those books where taken out from the KJV hence the differences today on the protestant and catholic bibles.

U

Ugly

This section is for new users to introduce themselves. You should repost this in the Bible Forums.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
But while you're here explain what you mean by not technically Christian. Do you confess Jesus Christ as the Son of God sacrificed for the sins of man and risen to redeem creation? Yes or no to that will tell you whether you are. The rest is, yeah dogma, but not decider.

Dec 25, 2012
That is fascinating, I will admit I am new to faith and have much to learn and study from the bible. But If you are willing to answer ignorant questions I would love to listen.
Hi Michael

I pray you study the bible with an open heart and ask God for REVELATION and not just INFORMATION. I pray in Jesus name you grow in walk with God.

God Bless..

M

mhaley4

MichaelAH,
Something is always lost in the translation. There are whole gospels, verses & books entirely deleted, by man. That's one of my problems with treating human growth & development, (spiritual or otherwise), solely with scripture. It's not even all there. And it has been told & re-told countless times. Who can tell, really, what the original content, meaning, concept & intent really were/are? No one. And that brings up a whole other predicament for me. You/We have people all over the world using these things to dictate policy, & much more. Telling others how to think, what to believe, how to live & just be. Claiming an everlasting abomination & eternity in hell if we don't think & believe a certain way. Countless wars were/are fought over it. People are misled & hurt catastrophically by it. In the name of God? I think not. More like in the name of man... Look, I'm not searching for any answers here really. I'm just very open to any healthy confrontational dialogue with anyone able to articulate humanely & objectively. I believe it's quite healthy to discuss differences & open new doors of perception. I am probably not a christian as I've said. I don't believe one has to worship Jesus & Jesus only to make it to heaven. There are far too many other concepts out there that believe the very same thing about other personifications. I don't believe God will forsake them because they didn't use a certain name when they reached out to Him, the Father. I feel furthermore that I have been to hell, (a life in bondage of self & selfishness, darkness & fear...), & I do not want to go back & live that way ever again. This is heaven to me. Someone else said it much better than I; Changing water to wine & curing disease is child's play compared to keeping an alcoholic/addict away from chemical dependency &/or substance abuse. I found the God of my understanding. It perturbs me greatly however that some seem to have a dire need for others to adopt theirs, for some seemingly fanciful reason.
Again, my intent is never, never ever to offend anyone. I have no desire to change another's ideals &/or beliefs. I respect others' ideas & beliefs. We all quite rightly get to choose for ourselves & I want as much information as I can absorb to make the very best decisions I can in this life. Personally, I ask God what His will is for me these days. And then I try to do just that....
Thank You All For Your Time & Patience With Me,
Mike

Jan 4, 2013
i completely understand Mike, and personally I have made a choice to study and live by the bible. I will no longer lie to myself our those with solid faith. For those are whom I reach out to for support. I wish to only to give my will back to God. With Gracious thanks for the freedom to do so.

A

AngelEliz

Found it intresting that you know about these languages, cuz my people speak Syriac a dialect from the original language of Aramaic, but in our churches we have preserved the Aramaic Scriptures, so in Church school we learn as children to write and read Aramaic and the sermons from the pastor or bishop are in Aramaic, but for those who speak other langauges we have overheads translated into swedish or english..
If you wounder which church I'm talking abt, it's the Syriac/Aramaic Orthodox Church, founded by the Apostel Peter himself, but sadly I've noticed my church needs a brutal awaking and go back to Peters teachings from the Bible, cuz it was given by Christ to him.. Don't get me wrong, there are churches much worser off than mine or are in a better state than mine but one thing I can do is to pray it will be back to it's former glory, before our Savior returns :)

M

mhaley4

Thank you Angel...,
That is very, very interesting to me. I would like to know more - Perhaps you'd tell me more about your church, your faith & religionious practices...
Thank You,
Mike

A

AngelEliz

Well there not much more to tell abt the church, except they cling on to their traditions they established centuries ago.. I think we should cling on to Christ teachings which Peter recieved and gave in the beginning..
For instance, I'm against the modern idea too allow divorce, it wasn't allowed in our church before, becuz we believe that when you enter into marriage you become one flesh as it was said in the beginning (Genesis).. no MAN can seperate one flesh..
However I love the fact that we have preserved the Aramaic Bibles and still use them in our churches..
I can sit here and pinn point every area I would love to see my church switch back to, but I will not make my talking "trashtalking" of my church..
I have compassion for my church to get back it's strength, just as Christ had for the sick to be healed or the sinners to see the light.. but first I am one person, second I am a young woman.. the only thing I can do as I said is to pray, the second thing I can do is getting involved with the kinds and youngsters.. If you make them see this modern attitude is not ok than as a group the voice will be heard stronger.. and again, don't get me wrong.. some modern "things" as the internet, the mobiles & the TV can be used for good purposes, but also for bad.. it's abt the importance God has in the individuals life, what that person can go to sleep with after knowing certan "truths".. as Jesus said "it's not the healthy ones who needs a doctor, it's the sick ones"..

Lastly, my faith has changed becuz of my Lord, Jesus Christ - He opened my eyes and I choose not to close them anymore..
I can only pray my churchmembers will recieve this kind of faith - a faith based on the gift of Grace from the Lord, and not religious acts or icons..
It's not enough to merely know ABOUT the Godheads - God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit and what the Son did for mankind,
you need to KNOW HIm in a personal, relationship level in order to recieve the blessings He has in store for you..
Religious practices in our church are many, and some I do not agree of, but I will not judge and therefore not comment on them.. cuz I will not cause diversaty, but help to form unity.. and that's the last thing I will comment abt this subject..
Thanks for the intrest..

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
Lastly, my faith has changed becuz of my Lord, Jesus Christ - He opened my eyes and I choose not to close them anymore..
I can only pray my churchmembers will recieve this kind of faith - a faith based on the gift of Grace from the Lord, and not religious acts or icons..
It's not enough to merely know ABOUT the Godheads - God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit and what the Son did for mankind,
you need to KNOW HIm in a personal, relationship level in order to recieve the blessings He has in store for you...
Amen, sister :)! What Jesus did on the cross took away ALL of our sins, and all we have to do is ask Him to forgive us through His death on the cross :). Praise His Name :)!

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
Changing water to wine & curing disease is child's play compared to keeping an alcoholic/addict away from chemical dependency &/or substance abuse.
Again, my intent is never, never ever to offend anyone.
Well, you offended me, Mike. I realize that you apparently haven't met Jesus, and I don't hold it against you; one must feel His grace and forgiveness themselves before understanding why the forgiven ones would defend their faith. However, He HAS healed people from drug abuse, among countless other things, and for you to say that what He did was "child's play" is quite offensive to me. Don't knock it until you've tried it, my friend; the peace He gives when we accept His death on the cross as the payment for our sins is beyond words.

BTW, I'm not interested in arguing; everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but just so you'll know, you're really walking on the line when it comes to the rules of this site.