Matthew 21:12-13 turning his house to a den of thieves

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 23, 2021
S.W. Missouri
so in regards to churches and ministries selling there wears in the church...
what are your thoughts and beliefs?
mine are in the line of it should not be done...

Matthew 21:12-13
12. 'Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves.
13. And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”'
Matthew 21:12-13 https://my.bible.com/bible/114/MAT.21.12-13

L

Locoponydirtman

Agreed, specifically when it comes to worship accoutrements, and never ever in the sanctuary.

Not that churches can't host a yard sale in the parking lot for the community, or something of that sort, once in a great while.

Oct 23, 2021
S.W. Missouri
Agreed, specifically when it comes to worship accoutrements, and never ever in the sanctuary.

Not that churches can't host a yard sale in the parking lot for the community, or something of that sort, once in a great while.
i agree with the parking lot, but what i am wondering is about inside the building. i won't even start on the church around here with a starbucks in it...

L

Locoponydirtman

i agree with the parking lot, but what i am wondering is about inside the building. i won't even start on the church around here with a starbucks in it...
Thats not a church. That is a somewhat christian entertainment facility.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Some may make the point that the local church buildings are not the Temples of God. I won't argue that, however when I see Jesus react to these sins like He did, I rather not take a chance. I've seen evangelists sell books and things in the back of the churches and can no longer approve.

Mar 4, 2020
so in regards to churches and ministries selling there wears in the church...
what are your thoughts and beliefs?
mine are in the line of it should not be done...

Matthew 21:12-13
12. 'Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves.
13. And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”'
Matthew 21:12-13 https://my.bible.com/bible/114/MAT.21.12-13
To me Jesus was speaking about the Jewish temple specifically. Churches aren’t temples. Now God dwells in temples not made with human hands: that’s us.

So a church building is just an accessory with creature comforts. Places to sit, heating and air, various aesthetics, etc and that’s all great but it isn’t necessarily required because the church is composed of spiritually united individuals with our governing authority being God.

My vision is the world is our church, wherever we may be. If we are in a supermarket we can have church, or stopped at a traffic light we can have church, or at home.

There are no inappropriate places to pray and praise God together.

P

persistent

Dumbfounded! A seemingly simple question when considered in relation to WWJD (What Would Jesus Do) becomes not so simple!?

I vaguely remember someone somewhere having or attempting to sell WWJD bracelets and or other items.

At the time I was either antagonistic or indifferent toward religion and so do not recall when or where this occurred.

Was this a marketing strategy of religious organizations? Does it apply to the OP's question?

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
I reckon that Matthew's account of Jesus' cleansing of the Jewish temple could go together with what the Apostle Paul wrote in 1 Timothy 6. Specifically, the reference to those who "suppose that godliness is a means of gain".

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
The building isn't the church. Take care of the heart and the rest will follow. There are a lot of people getting rich off of "Christian" books, tapes, music and videos. They may not do business in the building but they're full of greed nonetheless. I'd say one of the biggest problems within the building itself is the false doctrine of tithing.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
When I was growing up, singing groups would often come and sell tapes at the back of the Church after a performance. At the time, I never thought anything about it.

I was a child and grew up in an environment where none of the elders bothered to speak up.

I knew the story of Jesus driving out the moneychangers, but I never made the connection.