Need proof

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 15, 2011
This comes from John chapter 4. It's often referred to as "The Samaritan Woman".
I know where it comes from, I found it, and have it bookmarked, in my Bible

I added emphasis to the portion you bring forth. It is clearly about heterosexual adultery.
In my bible it says "one" not "man"

J

jimmydiggs

I know where it comes from, I found it, and have it bookmarked, in my Bible
I was stating that for those who might not know.

In my bible it says "one" not "man"
What is your translation?

Also, Comparison below.

New International Version (©1984)
The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true."
New Living Translation (©2007)
for you have had five husbands, and you aren't even married to the man you're living with now. You certainly spoke the truth!"
English Standard Version (©2001)
for you have had five husbands, and the one you now have is not your husband. What you have said is true.”
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly."
International Standard Version (©2008)
because you have had five husbands, and the man you have now is not your husband. What you have said is true."
GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
You've had five husbands, and the man you have now isn't your husband. You've told the truth."
King James Bible
For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.
American King James Version
For you have had five husbands; and he whom you now have is not your husband: in that said you truly.
American Standard Version
for thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: this hast thou said truly.
Bible in Basic English
You have had five husbands, and the man you have now is not your husband: that was truly said.
Douay-Rheims Bible
For thou hast had five husbands: and he whom thou now hast, is not thy husband. This thou hast said truly.
Darby Bible Translation
for thou hast had five husbands, and he whom now thou hast is not thy husband: this thou hast spoken truly.
English Revised Version
for thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: this hast thou said truly.
Webster's Bible Translation
For thou hast had five husbands, and he whom thou now hast, is not thy husband: in that thou hast spoken truth.
Weymouth New Testament
"for you have had five husbands, and the man you have at present is not your husband. You have spoken the truth in saying that." World English Bible
for you have had five husbands; and he whom you now have is not your husband. This you have said truly." Young's Literal Translation
for five husbands thou hast had, and, now, he whom thou hast is not thy husband; this hast thou said truly.'

Each are consistant, "Prior husbands----He/one with now is not husband"

Given that they all follow the pattern of mentioning the prior husbands, and the person she's with now not being her husband, I think given the context it is safe to assume he is still speaking in regards to the males. A number of translations still show it as being a male.

Color-Coded

For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.
For the First husband.

For the First husbands, the greek word is:

The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon
Strong's Number: 435
Original Word Word Origin
ajnhvr a primary word cf (444)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Aner 1:360,59
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
an'-ayr Noun Masculine

Definition
with reference to sex
of a male
of a husband
of a betrothed or future husband
with reference to age, and to distinguish an adult man from a boy
any male
used generically of a group of both men and women

King James Word Usage - Total: 215
man 156, husband 50, sir 6, fellow 1, not translated 2
Aner - New Testament Greek Lexicon - King James Version <--- click

For the KJV translation, the Greek word being used for "one/whom":

Strong's Number: 3739
o&ß probably a primary word (or perhaps a form of the article (3588))
Hos None
hos

Definition
who, which, what, that
Wigram's count is 1309 not 1393.

King James Word Usage - Total: 1392
which 394, whom 262, that 129, who 84, whose 53, what 42, that which 20, whereof 13, miscellaneous 430
http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/kjv/hos.html <---click

For the second husband:

Strong's Number: 435
ajnhvr a primary word cf (444)
Aner 1:360,59
an'-ayr Noun Masculine

Definition
with reference to sex
of a male
of a husband
of a betrothed or future husband
with reference to age, and to distinguish an adult man from a boy
any male
used generically of a group of both men and women

King James Word Usage - Total: 215
man 156, husband 50, sir 6, fellow 1, not translated 2
http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/kjv/aner.html <--- click

You can do all the clicking yourself here...

John 4:15-18 "The woman saith unto him, Sir,..." KJV - Online Bible Study <--- click

Just above the passage you'll see what looks like this...
One verse per lineRed letterFootnotes (a-z)Strongs Numbers

Make sure you check-mark"strongs numbers". Some of the words turn blue, and you click on those to see what words were translated, what they mean, and other places in the bible where they occur.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2011
The debate about whether people are born gay or choose to be is missing the point and essentially irrelevant. Everyone, from the moment they are born til the day that they die, so long as they remain apart from Christ, lives perpetually and continually in a state of unceasing rebellion and unrepentant sinfulness, and whether their homosexuality is an active choice or not, it's a consequence of their sinful nature either way.

3 The wicked are estranged from the womb; They go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies. (Psalm 58:3)

1 To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good. 2 The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men, To see if there are any who understand, who seek God. 3 They have all turned aside, They have together become corrupt; There is none who does good, No, not one. (Psalm 14:1-3)

10 As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one; 11 There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God. 12 They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one." (Romans 3:10-12)

11 An evil man seeks only rebellion; Therefore a cruel messenger will be sent against him. (Proverbs 17:11)

5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. (Genesis 6:5)

23 Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Then may you also do good who are accustomed to do evil. (Jeremiah 13:23)

5 You meet him who rejoices and does righteousness, Who remembers You in Your ways. You are indeed angry, for we have sinned-- In these ways we continue; And we need to be saved. (Isaiah 64:5)

6 But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away. (Isaiah 64:6)

Last edited:
T

Tegelik

Homosexuality is definitely not just a choice. There are gays who have really tried for years to change and be normal, but just no treatment works. Some people get treated, but some can't be treated.

I think people who are born gay just have to live a life of celibacy, since they would never be happy with a woman. It would be a very though burden to be born as a gay. You would have to be alone all your life and fight those desires. Life would be a torture. There are such gay churches who have chosen to do so and much respect to them. This is what I call dying to yourself and living for God.

B

brotherdano

Why are we arguing doctrine with someone who is obviously resolute in her personal beliefs, most likely (based on her age) thoroughly indoctrinated by the state, secular system education that is the American school system. Public school or private school, it really doesn't matter. Moral Relativism has turned the minds and consciences of our youth into oatmeal, and educational administrators will stand before a holy and righteous God for every teenager who is persuaded to engage in flagrant immorality because of their "if it feels good, do it" attitude.

Nerd Girl, I do not know you, but I want you to know that God loves you. He teaches us in his Word that because Jesus went to the cross, you have the freedom to choose. BUT, faith demands that we don't always have the luxury of being able to prove the correctness of everything that we do in life. In fact, it is the existence of faith that makes my life as a Christian exciting and successful. I prayerfully urge you to quietly, soberly ask God to reveal to you what you would do with your life. He has a plan for you, and I know that he has sufficient grace and mercy to forigve all of us our sins. Finally, always remember that it is God that categorizes sin.......not schoolteachers or biased publications.

U

Ugly

She was banned June 2011. Quite a ways. If i had to guess i'd say that it's she seemed here to promote homo/bi beliefs and bash the bible rather than seek answers. She did the same in at least one other thread. Can't come here and promote sin and trash the bible, you know.