NEW LIES ABOUT THE BIBLE

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Uh..... you seem to still be staying with the "original" languages, and I am faulting the translators for "assuming" that their readers would somehow know how people thought 1500 years before the translations were made.
LOL. The translators are not at fault. They have simply conveyed the intent of the word based on its use. World, earth, or land are the only three possibilities for the use of οἰκουμένη. Which of these three words do you think would fit better? I certainly do not profess to be a scholar but it would seem to me that this would have simply been better translated as population but then again you have the same question, the population of what?

Feb 7, 2015
LOL. The translators are not at fault. They have simply conveyed the intent of the word based on its use. World, earth, or land are the only three possibilities for the use of οἰκουμένη. Which of these three words do you think would fit better? I certainly do not profess to be a scholar but it would seem to me that this would have simply been better translated as population but then again you have the same question, the population of what?
Yeah, I guess it might never end. Kind of wish the translators had had more latitude (or "guts").

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Yeah, I guess it might never end. Kind of wish the translators had had more latitude (or "guts").
Like I said in an earlier post, translation is never the exact science we would like it to be for a number of reasons. Sometimes we simply have to do the best we can and leave the rest to the Lord.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Like I've always said, if one wants to do any of these for their personal study-- fine.....but telling others to do/they have to do so, to get the "truth" or "understand" things?
......Sorry, ......it's rubbish.
If not, ....one of the worst lies going around the Christian community.
It's always been about the message.....the message!!!

just thought to add -- "the message" in my opinion is one of the worst things i know of that tries to pass itself off as a "translation" of the scripture.

it is most certainly not about that "message" !
but about the gospel :)
untold numbers heard and received that message before any of what we call the new testament was ever written down - so it's evident to me that the gospel can be preached and heard accurately in the absence of the written word.
while we are at a disadvantage now in that the first-hand witnesses, the apostles, are not walking among us, we are at a great advantage in having both literacy and the written compilation of their words. it's not something to thumb the nose at, but to be grateful for and cherish.

Feb 7, 2015

just thought to add -- "the message" in my opinion is one of the worst things i know of that tries to pass itself off as a "translation" of the scripture.

untold numbers heard and received that message before any of what we call the new testament was ever written down - so it's evident to me that the gospel can be preached and heard accurately in the absence of the written word.
while we are at a disadvantage now in that the first-hand witnesses, the apostles, are not walking among us, we are at a great advantage in having both literacy and the written compilation of their words. it's not something to thumb the nose at, but to be grateful for and cherish.
Thought you might like to see that Peterson never has tried to pass his book off as a translation of the Scripture.

For more than two years, Eugene Peterson devoted all his efforts to The Message® New Testament. His primary goal was to capture the tone of the text and the original conversational feel of the Greek, in contemporary English. He hoped to bring the New Testament to life for two different types of people. The first group were those who hadn't read the Bible because it seemed too distant, irrelevant, and antiquated. The second group were those who had read the Bible all their lives but now found it "old hat," so familiar that they were no longer startled by the truth of its message.

Language is always changing. When we hear something over and over again in the same way, we can become so familiar with it that the text loses its impact. The Message® strives to help readers hear the living Word of God, the Bible, in a way that engages and intrigues us right where we are. The Message® is designed to be read by contemporary people in the same way as the original koiné Greek and Hebrew manuscripts were savored by people thousands of years ago.

Some people like to read the Bible in Elizabethan English. Others want to read a version that gives a close word-for-word correspondence between the original languages and English. Eugene Peterson recognized that the original sentence structure is very different from that of contemporary English. He decided to strive for the spirit of the original manuscripts to express the rhythm of the voices, the flavor of the idiomatic expressions, the subtle connotations of meaning that are often lost in English translations.

The goal of The Message® is to engage people in the reading process and help them understand what they read. This is not a study Bible, but rather "a reading Bible." The verse numbers, which are not in the original documents, have been left out to facilitate easy and enjoyable reading. The original books of the Bible were not written in formal language. The Message® tries to recapture the Word in the words we use today.

Last edited:

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014

Well, I'm confused?

Not "The Message" lol.......the message /of the gospel and what Christ came, said and did for mankind dude.
What are you talking about?
Peterson does not own the rights to those two words.:p

Too literal posthuman.....like all those people who dissect the word "saved".
Oh well.;)

M

Mitspa

Thought you might like to see that Peterson never has tried to pass his book off as a translation of the Scripture.

For more than two years, Eugene Peterson devoted all his efforts to The Message® New Testament. His primary goal was to capture the tone of the text and the original conversational feel of the Greek, in contemporary English. He hoped to bring the New Testament to life for two different types of people. The first group were those who hadn't read the Bible because it seemed too distant, irrelevant, and antiquated. The second group were those who had read the Bible all their lives but now found it "old hat," so familiar that they were no longer startled by the truth of its message.

Language is always changing. When we hear something over and over again in the same way, we can become so familiar with it that the text loses its impact. The Message® strives to help readers hear the living Word of God, the Bible, in a way that engages and intrigues us right where we are. The Message® is designed to be read by contemporary people in the same way as the original koiné Greek and Hebrew manuscripts were savored by people thousands of years ago.

Some people like to read the Bible in Elizabethan English. Others want to read a version that gives a close word-for-word correspondence between the original languages and English. Eugene Peterson recognized that the original sentence structure is very different from that of contemporary English. He decided to strive for the spirit of the original manuscripts to express the rhythm of the voices, the flavor of the idiomatic expressions, the subtle connotations of meaning that are often lost in English translations.

The goal of The Message® is to engage people in the reading process and help them understand what they read. This is not a study Bible, but rather "a reading Bible." The verse numbers, which are not in the original documents, have been left out to facilitate easy and enjoyable reading. The original books of the Bible were not written in formal language. The Message® tries to recapture the Word in the words we use today.
I think it can be helpful...but again its a version we can weigh against the Greek text and judge its truth.

Feb 7, 2015
I, personally, seldom read less than five to seven different translations (or versions) if I am really interested in what something was intended to mean.