New Message from the Pastor regarding our 401K

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Cindy,

There is a good reason church is supposed to be set up with Elders in charge, and the preacher only appointed by them, instead of one preacher man running the whole show.
Hardly a flawless system. You get what you pray for.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Its a smaller church, maybe 40 members at most - and the church property is in his name, so you can bet he's not going anywhere.
I only wonder how that happened.

I cannot in good conscience recommend that you oppose him or try to have him removed as if he is Gods man and just out of order well you don't want to be against him.

If there is no other solution and he does not get himself back on track with the Lords purposes then you need to search for the right church that the Lord will lead you to in His time.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

D

Depleted

It feels like this was a set up to gossip about the guy. Am I missing something?

Dec 19, 2009
It feels like this was a set up to gossip about the guy. Am I missing something?
The guy sounds dangerous to me, out to take the members' retirement savings away from them.

Dec 19, 2009
Cindy,

There is a good reason church is supposed to be set up with Elders in charge, and the preacher only appointed by them, instead of one preacher man running the whole show.
Better yet, have the church elect its officers.

Dec 19, 2009
Its a smaller church, maybe 40 members at most - and the church property is in his name, so you can bet he's not going anywhere.
You have me wondering if this guy started the church by himself, or if it is affiliated with some denomination.

If it is affiliated with some denomination, it would seem wise to me to contact your pastor's superiors and tell them what is happening. If the pastor started the church himself, with no connection to any other church, then you might find yourself a better church. Actually, you are always free to look for a church more to your liking.

You could also sit down and try to talk some sense into him. If he repents, fine. If not, do what you have to do, but don't give him a penny, and tell your friends not to give him a penny.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Cindy,

Where is 'the preacher' appointed by the elders in the Bible? In the Bible 'every one of you' could have a psalm, doctrine, tongue revelation, or interpretation (I Corinthians 14:26). The elders were commanded to pastor (translated 'feed' or 'tend' in Acts 20:28 and I Peter 5) and were to be 'apt to teach.'

The Reformed movement confused us, creating a new category of 'elder' out of role of city government officials of Geneva. They called them 'elders' and called those they considered to be Biblical elders 'pastors.' The Presbyterians in Scotland expanded the Geneva city government model into the model for their church throughout the nation.

I wanted to show a good paper on this from a theological journal. This is an article from the same author that contains a little information along these lines: <
http://eldership.org/resources/elders_sjt.html>

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
So last week we were not at church Sunday because my 86 yr old father had emergency surgery late Saturday night and we were at the hospital all day Sunday and Monday -- but we did get a message from our pastor (the one who asked us the prior week what were we doing for Jesus) - which is a calling post message that goes to all church members, and he said that he came upon a fantastic opportunity to decrease the debt owed on the land/church building by "hundreds of thousands" of dollars if he has enough money by March 19th to make a deal for the savings. (I don't get it, but hey ... whats new?) He went on to say that this weekend he wanted 100% participation by all members to dig deep and find a way to give over and above this weekend and next- he said that the weather should be nice and we should all have a yard sale and sell any sporting goods equipment, old cars, toys, lawn equipment, furniture and everything else we can find to give to the Lord. Then, he said that we should all go into our 401K and take out money to have for the additional money needed for the church and we would be paid back tenfold by the Lord. Yes, dig into our 401Ks and take out money to give him for this plan that he found that will save hundreds of thousands. Baffled and not touching my 401K. We have plans to have a one on one conversation with him this weekend to get things squared away - but is this just me or is this sounding crazy?
Leave the church now. Do not pass go. Go directly to another church.

Cindy12

Jan 5, 2015
You have me wondering if this guy started the church by himself, or if it is affiliated with some denomination.

If it is affiliated with some denomination, it would seem wise to me to contact your pastor's superiors and tell them what is happening. If the pastor started the church himself, with no connection to any other church, then you might find yourself a better church. Actually, you are always free to look for a church more to your liking.

You could also sit down and try to talk some sense into him. If he repents, fine. If not, do what you have to do, but don't give him a penny, and tell your friends not to give him a penny.
he started the church himself. He is the pastor and youth pastor. We are going elsewhere tomorrow.

D

Depleted

Im not sure I understand.
You already decided to leave. The only thing that stopped you was busy week. So why bring this here? You don't need advice. You don't need more input. You're mind was made up. Which makes it feel like it's just here so everyone can ridicule the guy -- look down on him or chuckle -- and pat you on the back for leaving.

Gossiping.

Cindy12

Jan 5, 2015
You already decided to leave. The only thing that stopped you was busy week. So why bring this here? You don't need advice. You don't need more input. You're mind was made up. Which makes it feel like it's just here so everyone can ridicule the guy -- look down on him or chuckle -- and pat you on the back for leaving.

Gossiping.
yes, I wanted to leave but at the time of my posting my husband was still wanting to give it a chance to keep from church hopping. I wanted to see if my thoughts were justified. I didn't give his name or the church name. You judged me wrongly, but that's ok! I respect your opinion.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
So last week we were not at church Sunday because my 86 yr old father had emergency surgery late Saturday night and we were at the hospital all day Sunday and Monday -- but we did get a message from our pastor (the one who asked us the prior week what were we doing for Jesus) - which is a calling post message that goes to all church members, and he said that he came upon a fantastic opportunity to decrease the debt owed on the land/church building by "hundreds of thousands" of dollars if he has enough money by March 19th to make a deal for the savings. (I don't get it, but hey ... whats new?) He went on to say that this weekend he wanted 100% participation by all members to dig deep and find a way to give over and above this weekend and next- he said that the weather should be nice and we should all have a yard sale and sell any sporting goods equipment, old cars, toys, lawn equipment, furniture and everything else we can find to give to the Lord. Then, he said that we should all go into our 401K and take out money to have for the additional money needed for the church and we would be paid back tenfold by the Lord. Yes, dig into our 401Ks and take out money to give him for this plan that he found that will save hundreds of thousands. Baffled and not touching my 401K. We have plans to have a one on one conversation with him this weekend to get things squared away - but is this just me or is this sounding crazy?
So now I think I know what he meant when he asked what you were doing for Jesus... it's more like, how much of your 401k are you 'giving to Jesus'? :rolleyes:

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009

Gossiping.
I think he deserves to be ridiculed and looked down upon for trying to get the good people of his congregation to fall for this ridiculous scheme of his. That's people's hard-earned money and he is taking advantage of their faith and giving them harmful advice by telling them to take money out of their 401k!

Dec 19, 2009

Gossiping.
I wasn't under the impression she had made her mind up yet. She wanted to bounce this off of us to see what we thought. It is a serious matter. I have recently retired. Had someone stolen my retirement savings, I'd be in world of trouble.

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
So you are being asked to help pay for the church and land which belongs to the pastor and not "the church". Who will inherit the building and the land after he dies? If it is sold for a huge profit will you get a share?

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
A lot of people love their churches and aren't going to leave their church because they have a bad pastor. I am such a person. The best thing to do is stand up and fight this guy and remove him from the pulpit, if he persists in his ways.
Depending on the authority structure of the church this may not be possible. In some churches the pastor is the final authority rather than the elders or congregation. In independent churches (not part of a larger governing body {IE denomination}) there is not even an outside authority to plead to.

Last edited:

Cindy12

Jan 5, 2015
We went to a different church this morning - went early to fellowship with people who come early and completely enjoyed it. Definitely going back next week and signed up for a Tues evening bible study at the church. Yeah!

Dec 19, 2009
Depending on the authority structure of the church this may not be possible. In some churches the pastor is the final authority rather than the elders or congregation. In independent churches (not part of a larger governing body {IE denomination}) there is not even an outside authority to plead to.
When I have had serious disagreements with pastors of my church, I did not seek to remove them from office. I spoke to them personally. If that doesn't work, one can speak to the congregation. Evil doesn't like to have a light shined on it.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
A fantastic opportunity to decrease the debt owed on the land/church building by "hundreds of thousands" of dollars ....... we would be paid back tenfold by the Lord.
Try to avoid those million dollar churches and find one you can afford. The Pastor has over-extended himself and is asking a ridiculous sacrifice of others to bail him out. Even if he's a good preacher, he's still a financial fool. Its pretty arrogant of him to request his congregation bankrupt themselves for his sake. Destroy your retirement (401k) so he can save money? There's nothing Christian about that, he needs to downsize. And I can assure you, when the Lord doesn't reward you tenfold, the Pastor will blame it on your lack of faith.... Run Forest, Run