online dating sites?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

gardenbunny

So, has anyone used dating websites and what are your opinions? I thought about trying
Chemistry.com, or eharmoney, I did try Christian mingle. I want to hear everyones opinion before
giving my own. Thanks. :)

T

taybug15

I feel like the internet is a blessing and a burden. I know before internet, you married who was around you. Now with the internet, you can marry someone in a totally different country. This allows for more options, but more options can also mean not being able to choose one. I prefer to stick to the 'people I know' category because I'm really bad at making decisions. If you feel like you can handle all of the options and still be able to make a good deicision based on what they tell you about themselves and determine whether they are being genuine, they go for it. Good luck to you.

P.S. I have heard of plenty of success stories but for every success there is also a failure, just be careful!

Nov 2, 2009
I too have considered signing up to one, but haven't. I'd be interested to know what others think.
Unlike taybug - I don't have any options of people to date that I know of. I know of not even one single, christian male that is elligable. So my question would be... How other than online dating websites can you meet people?

T

taybug15

I was always told, do something you love and then you will find someone you love. If you are involved in your favorite hobbies and activites, there is a greater chance of meeting someone like you. I'm not against online dating, but I just prefer the more traditional route. In your situation if you honestly can't find anyone, I say go for it. It opens up doors but you've just got to make sure they are being 100% honest!

U

Ugly

i haven't tried dating sites, but i do better with online dating. I'm easier to get to know online as i'm more relaxed and the flow of the conversation is slower. In person i can be more anxious getting to meet people. Online i'm more relaxed.
Also, i'm less likely to be judged by my appearance first online, and women don't often even want to get to know me offline.
Far as the dating sites, if it sounds appealing to you, go for it. I know the owner of this site also has a Christian dating site as well. Though i can never remember the name of it.

L

Liz01

I have been in some of those sites because i was curious, but to me is difficult to think that someone dont know me but is ready to marry me because the few things i put in a profile and nobody in those sites seem to be available to make an effort to get to know someone that he is not already sure that will marry in a future, besides that i will never put a photo on internet......so.... :D im not very "lucky" on those sites.....

G

Goofy777

My fiance's cousin met a guy on facebook... They started dating, got married and are expecting their first child... And the best part is that they love each other... I guess you can find love online although im not a fan of the idea :) I also prefer the traditional method...

H

heart77

I'm looking for a guy a God fearing

L

Lightwalker

I'm not a big fan of online dating. I think if God leads you there then go ahead but be careful because there are a lot of wackos on there you need to watch out for.
I personally prefer to meet a person face to face and really get to know them. I think it's a little more diffulcult to gauge a person's character on the internet but again that's just my opinion.

U

Ugly

I find its easier to get to know people online. There's not much to do other than talk. No distractions like movies, tvs, concerts, driving, crowds, etc.. its just one on one. And since they're talking so much, if they are dishonest it can come out easier because the more talking they do, the more they lie and the harder for them it is to keep track.
But then again i have a knack for reading people, even people online to a degree, so it may be easier for me than others who have a harder time reading people online.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
This is one area where God hasn't specifically given me direction, as it were, for the masses, though He has given me direction for my own personal life. I'll tell you that and my opinion. :)

God told me specifically, "You are not going to meet him online." There you have it. Therefore, I do not even consider online dating as an option. :)

Now, as for my opinion about online dating: we are called to be set-apart from this world, yet Christians view and pursue dating just as the world does, such as internet dating. My thought is that it isn't what God wants His children to do because it is something the world does to find love. Now, this, as I've said, is my opinion. I haven't really sought an answer for the masses on this topic because I already have my answer, so, yeah, it isn't top on my list of needing to seek God for answers. I do not look down on or judge or condemn anyone who has already found their spouse online. I suggest that others don't do it, but, as I said, it's my thoughts and opinion, not a word from God, so, yeah...do with that as you will. :)

G

gardenbunny

Thanks everyone.
I am a very private person, so it's really hard for me to put my picture online, you never know what kind of creeps are out there.
When I was younger(like 6 years ago), I tried a religious dating site, I met 2 guys, one was extremely awesome, but he had a really bad self esteem, so I had a hard time with that, he was so hard on himself. It drove me crazy. That only lasted about a month.
The other guy, super nice guy, very much a gentleman. I know a lot of women who would want someone like him. But I felt too young for some reason(for example he turned 35 while I was still 24- thats a whole 11 years older- lol). I felt he was too experienced in the world for me. He had been in the military, married twice, all in all I just felt I was too young and he just wasn't the one(he's now married for the 4th time, and has a baby girl).

Since then I tried Christian Mingle for a couple of months and only talked to probably 2 guys and both were "interesting" to say the least, plus I was really involved with the local church singles scene. Loved it. But the way they do it here is they have age groups- example- 18-30 is one group, 31-45 is another group, and 46 and up is another. Its for the protection of the younger singles so they won't meet some creepy old person.... and they can have a chance to get to know people their own age.
It was really nice, I love it. But now at 30, I feel like I am way too old for the first group(since everyone are freshman in college, or just leaving their homes and starting on their own). But I feel SO young with the second group and am having a really hard time fitting in because everyone there are divorced, widowed, which doesn't bother me, I mean at my age it would be hard to find someone who hasn't been married or doesn't have kids. But they all have their own cliques and it's so hard to get in on them with out being absolutely amazing the first time you meet them.

So I decided to give online dating a try again, my past relationships have given me new insight on what I want, need, etc. So I can't decide if I want to try eharmony or chemistry.
And what do people of the opposite sex(guys in my situation) want to hear? I try to be really open about who I am and what I am about, but since I am such a private person, it's hard.
Anyways, thanks again everyone.