Overweight Christians

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 21, 2014
Hey Sparklingwhite, this is something I have struggled with my whole life, I am 27 and just recently come to a realization, like as in within the last month, so I thought it would be appropriate to share with you. So as I mentioned I have been overweight my whole life and it is a struggle I have dealt with privately. Obviously everyone can see that I am overweight but they dont see the effect that it has on me. I can tell you that it affects my self worth and what I deem as my value. I have learned, over the last 5 years that I need to find my worth, value, and even define myself according to God. I know a lot of people have been saying this, but here is were mine differs. I wasnt struggling because of what I saw in magazines or what the world told me I needed to look like, I grew up in theatre and embarrassed my uniqueness as a stand out quality. But what I have realized is that even though it wasn't that blatant it was there. I think as much as people try not to or think they don't it is human nature to judge. We all have a "first impression" and what is that if not judging someone in the mere moments that you meet them. So being the big girl I found ways of making good "impressions" whether first or otherwise. I started to define myself in success in school and in work, even in church. I constantly needed words of affirmation to keep me afloat.

My big realization.... Even though I have learned and to some extent understand who Jesus says I am in Him I am still seeking confirmation everywhere else. When I realized that I also realized this area in my life, my weight and overeating and everything that goes along with it (because it's a lot), I never surrendered it to God. He already knows of course, but I haven't leaned on Him for it you know? So I gave it to Him. So now when I am going into binge eating and realize it I can focus on Him to help me through it, because as much as we don't want to admit it to ourselves those of us who binge eat have an addiction it's a compulsive behavior, I have learned I need to lean on Him to overcome this and He will be faithful to deliver me, and if weight comes off in the process awesome.

Sorry if that was a bit (or a massive) ramble!!
I need to lose weight also.

But if we know that what the Lord by His precious blood makes us inwardly and spiritually is the main thing, then emphasis on the outward won't be so great.

And maybe we won't have such a desire to do binge eating, either.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I know what you mean. I'm very overweight and need to get healthy, but sometimes I feel my friends are making comments. I know that I need to take care of myself but support would be nice. The only support I get is from my dad.

May 3, 2013
I know what you mean. I'm very overweight and need to get healthy, but sometimes I feel my friends are making comments. I know that I need to take care of myself but support would be nice. The only support I get is from my dad.
I´m sorry, Art!

If you were thin (...) people would do the same. Don´t blame yourself! (Just be you)

May 3, 2013
The problem is not that "local". It has to do with anxiety, wrong eating habits, lazyness, depresion, etc-

Here is soething saying abou that in Venezuela: Sobrepeso en Venezuela -

And the official site telling how "we" eat in Venezuela (not an exact one, but fatness is increased for OUR Venezuelan problems)

Encuesta de Seguimiento al Consumo de Alimentos