Pet or Potential Spouse?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 18, 2023
Why do you assume that - if a person does not particularly care for having pets (or similar) - that there is something "wrong" with them and that they have a "false" world view...???

Different people have different personal preferences. It does not mean there is something "wrong" with them if they see things differently than you with regard to having pets.

Where human mates are concerned - just find someone who shares the same 'pet' view as you.
A lot of these people I am speaking about did have similar personality traits they liked in a pet, there false stereotypes didn't allow them to see it.

Noel25

Dec 17, 2022
I suggest that an attitude like this will increase the probability greatly that you will be alone with your cat/pet until you die.

You need to understand that - to a man - knowing that you prefer felines over a man - to him - makes you negative company.

A man would rather you prefer him over animals.
First of all, I really don't mind being alone. If I die alone then that's completely fine with me. Maybe I'm like Paul because I don't really desire marriage like a lot of the people on here. I never said I prefer pets over a man. I said that I prefer hanging out with my cats than being around someone negative like the way Gojira was being. It's funny because I thought Gojira was a cool guy. I don't know why he snapped at me that way. So that's why I snapped back. lol. Probably not the most mature way to handle things but oh well.

If a guy had a good personality, then I would of course love him over my cats. But if he has a big issue with my cats to the point where I have to get rid of them, then all we can be is friends. I can't believe how difficult it is for people to understand this.

Everyone is welcome to have their preferences. Not everyone is compatible and that's okay!

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Try not to assume the worst about what people post; instead, try to do the opposite... ;)

More often than not, I think, it is not nearly as bad as it seems. But, people tend to be quick to jump to conclusions.

Adelia

Apr 18, 2018
Thank you all for great conversation! BBL

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Why do you believe it shouldn't be the other way around? Why do you believe this person should not accept our pet/pets and get rid of their false stereotypes/false world views?
False world view?? An animal is a world view?? False stereotypes?? Wow. Sorry, that whole bit of reasoning there seems a bit off-kilter.

If you prefer your cat to a good man, I think there's something wrong with you. I'm not saying this to be rude or to insult you. I really think there's something dysfunctional about that kind of thinking. I'm also not sure that it could be backed up by Scripture.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Oh no! Whatever shall I do! :eek::eek::eek:
Men like you like to make fun of us cat (or any pet really) ladies "dying alone." When in reality it's a cope because you don't want to accept that we prefer felines over your negative company.
Ooooo I guess she told me! :LOL::LOL:

However, the point of this thread -- and someone correct me if I misunderstood it -- was choosing someone mate-worthy over an animal, or choosing the animal over the mate-worthy person. If you find me negative, good. You and I do not consider each other mate-worthy. But, if you choose your cat or cocker spaniel over a Godly man whom you love and are attracted to, I'd say your priorities are greatly skewed.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
It is better to end some relationships sooner than later, and a person should make it known he doesn't want/like pets sooner than later. Pet people are great people so its their loss. If a person discloses later, that's called manipulation.
Oh I absolutely agree that that's something that should be determined early in the relationship. As for whose loss it is, eh, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Not everyone is comfortable with animals. That doesn't make them not great.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I must not be communicating effectively. And if I do? Do you mean if I find myself compatible with a woman who has cats? And if I do would not happen. There wouldn't have been more than one date and that relationship as far as courting is concerned would be over. The animals in that picture aren't relevant. Compatibility to live out your entire lifetime with someone is. I can't speak to what others are saying, but I think you're not understanding what some are saying. Given that text only communications leaves a lot to be desired, that's understandable.
Well, we agree on that, and I stated something in an earlier post here to that effect. That is something that should not be an issue deep into a relationship. However, that is not how this thread started, if memory serves.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Why do you believe it shouldn't be the other way around? Why do you believe this person should not accept our pet/pets and get rid of their false stereotypes/false world views?
To address this further, I would say that yeah, if you are contemplating marriage, and you've been dating someone all this time knowing they had three cats, then it's on you. If you dump them, I think I'd be inclined to agree that yours are the priorities that are questionable.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
only 1 bible translation says that animals have a soul...KJV if I remember right
I can't speak to the critical text versions, but I do remember that KJV mentioned it.
The time I did a word study on body, soul, and spirit, I learned that the animals' spirit goes down to the earth. If I remember correctly, spirit can also mean breath. This means to me that they are not eternal beings.