Prophecy. Is this spiritual gift what you think it is?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

webchatter

This word generation was in an earlier post. Luke 21:32= Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled." 34="...so that day come upon you unawares." 35-"For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth."
Generation- strong's 1074-a generation, an age (the period or the persons):-age, generation, nation,time.
This age shall not pass away? This nation shall not pass away? This time shall not pass away?
Since the apostles died before the Second Coming of our Lord, then the word "generation" is not referring to the people alive at the time the prophecy was made. The "age" is after Christ, before the Second Coming.
I don't recall any New Testament Scripture that is not relevant to us today. Not one verse. If it were true, Scripture would support it.
I saw a compliation/video of 2012 weather around the world & there were pictures of some things mentioned in this thread: fire in Australia I think. Like a tornado of fire on the ground. Like the burning bush. They had no explanation for it. There's some on the sun too. They have never seen this on the sun before. Rivers turning blood red & parts of the ocean."Billows of smoke" over various places, in great lengths, it appeared, but it was clouds in shapes never seen before.Interesting.
Yes I have had prophetic dreams, about 4 in my life. So have a few other people I've known. These dreams were from God certainly, but they were not about world events or what you would normally think of as prophecy. For example, in one man's dream, he saw his son taking drugs. It was the first time in his son's life that he had ever taken drugs. He came home & his dad said, "God showed me in a dream that you were taking drugs." This was the first & last time this boy took drugs.
The reason you know it is from God is because it comes true EXACTLY as you dreamed it. I'm sure others' are different, but mine are unlike my regular dreams. Like the difference between watching standard def. tv with rabbit ears, & high def tv. on cable or satellite. It's very clear, crisp,3D. Mine are like watching the news. I see the scene before it happens in my dream. They always came true the day I woke up from the dream. It is an actual future recording of the event that has not happened. Exactly. Mine were for the purpose of helping friends in need, & of prayer.

G

GreenNnice

This word generation was in an earlier post. Luke 21:32= Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled." 34="...so that day come upon you unawares." 35-"For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth."
Generation- strong's 1074-a generation, an age (the period or the persons):-age, generation, nation,time.
This age shall not pass away? This nation shall not pass away? This time shall not pass away?
Since the apostles died before the Second Coming of our Lord, then the word "generation" is not referring to the people alive at the time the prophecy was made. The "age" is after Christ, before the Second Coming.
I don't recall any New Testament Scripture that is not relevant to us today. Not one verse. If it were true, Scripture would support it.
I saw a compliation/video of 2012 weather around the world & there were pictures of some things mentioned in this thread: fire in Australia I think. Like a tornado of fire on the ground. Like the burning bush. They had no explanation for it. There's some on the sun too. They have never seen this on the sun before. Rivers turning blood red & parts of the ocean."Billows of smoke" over various places, in great lengths, it appeared, but it was clouds in shapes never seen before.Interesting.
Yes I have had prophetic dreams, about 4 in my life. So have a few other people I've known. These dreams were from God certainly, but they were not about world events or what you would normally think of as prophecy. For example, in one man's dream, he saw his son taking drugs. It was the first time in his son's life that he had ever taken drugs. He came home & his dad said, "God showed me in a dream that you were taking drugs." This was the first & last time this boy took drugs.
The reason you know it is from God is because it comes true EXACTLY as you dreamed it. I'm sure others' are different, but mine are unlike my regular dreams. Like the difference between watching standard def. tv with rabbit ears, & high def tv. on cable or satellite. It's very clear, crisp,3D. Mine are like watching the news. I see the scene before it happens in my dream. They always came true the day I woke up from the dream. It is an actual future recording of the event that has not happened. Exactly. Mine were for the purpose of helping friends in need, & of prayer.
excellent post.

Aug 15, 2009
I have had visions and dreams in my life, but not a lot of them. My calling into the ministry was through a vision given to me three separate times. 17 years ago, I heard the voice of the Lord tell me during prayer to pray towards the city where the church is that I am pastoring now. I knew that I would pastor it 12 years in advance. I've had dreams about terrible things that were to come, such as warnings and two of my bosses were working against me. God has warned me by dreams of tornadoes that major persecution was just around the corner. They came to pass. As a father, I would counsel with my daughter about teenage issues........ she hated it, because she said I always seem to know what she was about to do. I take no glory in that....... all glory belongs to Christ. All of my Christian life, God has ministered to me in dreams and visions, as well as others telling me things that came to pass in detail. It seems to me that if the gift of prophecy had ceased, the Holy Spirit would've stopped doing this by now.

G

GreenNnice

I have had visions and dreams in my life, but not a lot of them. My calling into the ministry was through a vision given to me three separate times. 17 years ago, I heard the voice of the Lord tell me during prayer to pray towards the city where the church is that I am pastoring now. I knew that I would pastor it 12 years in advance. I've had dreams about terrible things that were to come, such as warnings and two of my bosses were working against me. God has warned me by dreams of tornadoes that major persecution was just around the corner. They came to pass. As a father, I would counsel with my daughter about teenage issues........ she hated it, because she said I always seem to know what she was about to do. I take no glory in that....... all glory belongs to Christ. All of my Christian life, God has ministered to me in dreams and visions, as well as others telling me things that came to pass in detail. It seems to me that if the gift of prophecy had ceased, the Holy Spirit would've stopped doing this by now.
Yes, this is what I've been thinking about the last 24 hours, not anything in particular you said stephenapoulus, all of it.

God's hand in our lives. God's hand protects our lives, who shalt go under His wing is under His wing, no and nothing shant pluck person from God's shelter, the shelter of the Most High :)

This is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak, but really the rubber can only meet the road for ONE person, who has a gift given by God for a 'time such as this,' how can we prove the gift in us from God to a cessationist? We can't , because they just believe God healed in His providence. Therein lies the conundrum of it all. And, really those just mentioned words END the argument with NEITHER being able to win, and, do we want to 'win,' anyway, I don't, I just want to be led with words He gives me that explain why I believe what I believe. As Rich Mullins says, 'I believe what I believe, it's what makes me who I am.' The song, creed, explains how God makes Rich Mulllins who He is, not 'any man.'

And, I do not outguess God but I believe the Word determines (pun intended) that a 'gift' is NOT going to be with that believer forever, for, as ecclessiastes says, 'a season,' and, it may be a moment. Who can understand God, we have the mnd of Christ, Scripture says, but we do NOT have the great and mighty mind of the Lord, Scripture states. His ways are higher than our ways, His thoughts not our own either, Isaiah in Scripture, tells us. We just can't know God, and, what His ways are.

I keep comiong back to this, too. Unclefester said he didn't have gifts he didn't think, and, admitted, 'I'm boring.' HEY! We are ALL boring !!!! Even with gifts, quit fooling your self, YOU are still boring. Having gifts means NOTHING in the grand scheme of salvatoin and it certainly doesn't mean that a continuationist, just because they gave a word of prophecy (certainly whatever is said is 'oracle (straight from) of God, as Peter says, and, milady, anariel aptly pointed out. Now believing in modern day apostles and prophets is fine to or not, what matters is that you understand that God has our salvation ticket and it's very simple, believe in His Son, given us by grace, through faith---and that not of ourselves. That rules out WORKS right there, doesn't it. But, Scripture is clear we ARE wired for good works doing, that is WHY we were made, and, our works are to bring glory to God.

All our works bring glory to God? Every single one, Christ peeps. That means on c.c., whatever you say, bring glory to God, and, on your tv, bring glory to God, I knooooo, it's harder for some of us than others but God says THAT is what we are supposed to do. So, you should want to do that, that does show you Love Him, and, to Love Him is to know Him, and, no it does NOT work any other way.

But, this thread was mainly to let people know that prophesying is many different ways. Maybe you don't believe in the offices of apostles, teachers, etc. but there is a better way than doing of spiritual gifts, it is Love. Spiritual gifts MAKE God get inside us and prove something, do they not, while IF we can just Love God and Love one another, then, WHY do we need to be vessels for God's work, which, yes, happen through spiritual gifts?? We don't . :)

Love conquers all. Now, that is not in Scripture, but it certainly is truth :)
Doesn't sound like I am prophesying (oh, no, Christ peeps, not the foretelling future definition) but certainly this COULD be some divine revelatioin too you. No?

Zone posed the question to me. What will be in eternity, green?

Will there be hope?
faith?

My answer, and, it's NOT me who speaks ANY of my answers, as I AM in Him :) : Heaven is going to be grand, ohzone .

What is the answer?

Faith, hope, and, Love, when we get to Heaven, which of these will we ONLY need?

Now, also, that said, what is the 1 Corinthians 12 chapter's theme? Gifts, right. we can have gifts, first, we get the free gift of the Holy Spirit, then, we get gifts as He 'determines.'

Now, this last line of 1 Corinthians 12 is quite telling....

"But now I show you a better way"

And, what is that way, Christ peeps. Now, could this 'perfect comes' way be not the completion of the canon of Scripture ?? And it be not Jesus' coming back to Earth, but simply be one word being equals 'the perfect comes'?

And, could that one word be : What IS GRAND?

Keep in mind, that God is love.

Therefore, as 1 John 4:8 says, right after letting us know, "I am the Way, the Truth, and, the Life, no man comes to the Father but by Me." is these very telling words of love, God's love. :)

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love

This means that God is not merely a loving God which He is, He loved us before we loved Him but we should love Him because He first loved us, right?

So, not only is God the benevolent word descriptioin of love, He is the very act of this act Himself. Wow. So, green, you are saying, that once in Heaven, we do not faith and hope no more?

Exactly ! The spiritual gifts finally are NO LONGER NECESSARY because we will have 'Love,' the very essence of Love in our midst and there will be no more need for sorrow, pain, crying, ALL gone, because, we will be in the midst of 'Love.'

We are to rely on spiritual gifts for our understanding of God? On that power?
Oh, the poor cessationists !

No !!! We are to rely on ONE thing, NOT the spiritual gifts, they come to us as He DETERMINES, we are to rely the more excellent way, THE PERFECT COMES, God is Love. His Love is perfect. What is perfect? How about everlasting Love :)

"Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:14

"I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness." Jeremiah 31:3
Ahh, Christ peeps, truly, only Christ's Love for us is truly grand. :) It is with those who know Him, His sheep, whom He will look for and look for IF lost, not stopping searching until He finds you. OH, how He wants to know you, OH, how He loves you and me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GRA

I do not believe that anything uttered "under a divine influence" can be properly called a prophecy.
The word 'anything' in this statement was meant in the sense of "[just] anything" or "anything and everything" -- i.e., there is such a thing as something uttered "under a divine influence" which could / would not be considered a prophecy. It was not meant in the sense of "nothing" uttered...

:)

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Zone posed the question to me. What will be in eternity, green?

Will there be hope?
faith?

My answer, and, it's NOT me who speaks ANY of my answers, as I AM in Him :)
green, are you telling me you do not take responsibility for your answers?
are you saying God is speaking for you/through you/is telling you what say?
just to clarify what we are saying here.
thank you
zone

Last edited:
P

Powemm

Focus focus focus .. ------> on God!!!
how much further we would all be if we all did this ..
number one goal of the enemy? To "STEAL" our FOCUS ...
If He can get you to quirk your head just for a second to hear something...to look at something .. To gain your attention on anyone and anything else ... He will do it .. He is doing it .. Right here in these very forums ...wake up!!! He drags you off...,in a " split second " we are bickering and debating ... this is his goal....
eyes on god.. His word .. Make no mention Of others errors ... work out your own salvation ... How much further we all would be to do this!! WHO is guarding the gates...?? look for a fuss your going to find ine , look for a debate you'll find that too... But also you will be drug off course... let the
Light penetrate the darkness.... it is all around ... We are to be the light standing on a Hill... pointing the way...mouths shut! God has spoken for years , has been , is and will always be the true authority! Not us! looks like we are pointing the finger at eachother asking "who is greater in the kingdom of heaven". none of us are! less we become like children and obey... go stand at the posts... your hills ... In a uniform line to "His" throne ... not ours! stop acting like little gods before Him...He will not have it ! this I assure you ... less you cause one of these little children to stumble and fall??? edify the body of Christ ... Stop walking around like dead men with bones .. beating your chests And one another's ...stop looking at one another and members of the body ... We are walking with a Limp in these forums ...a body with a broken leg ... pride, arrogance, all if it ...This is a temple of almighty God... for others to come and "know HIM.. not us or our thoughts.... But Him and His thoughts for us all.....what is all this other rubbish ??

P

Powemm

Love all of you in Christ ....this is about Him and who He is ... Back to the beginning .. Where His light began and still is ... We are His people .. His children ... He is calling everyone of us closer to Him...bickering about who's a prophet and who is mad throws the whole body of course .... Let's get back on track... starting edifying studies in tjese forums that will feed those coming in...,not depleting them more!

P

Powemm

let's begin building up the body as Christ has intended... Appreciating the gifts he's bestowed in one another ... He does not condemn his creation ... He empowers it ... Making no mention of wrongdoings ... But by the grace if god and mercy of Him are any of is still standing ...this is what we are doing in the kingdom ? With our time? As others are walking out tue very doors here because of it ??? Reallyy????
Come on body of Christ ... Get the wheels within this wheel working properly... Let's get Tjis thing going and wirking as it should!

P

Powemm

As Christ intends us to be... greeting.. Praying, lifting.. Handing tools for others to use ... Loving and encouraging , being kind and feed The spirit walking here ... Sniff out the things if the flesh .. For it is in opposition to the spirit ...

W

weakness

Eph. 4:7,13 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.....13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith,and the knowledge of the son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.All of Jesus testimony is prophetic ,his words, his action every thing about him is the Spirit of prophesy ,and is prophetic. apostlesand prophets both deal with inspired revelation. I dont think the gift of prophesy and an office of a prophet are the same thing. Cor say desire the best gifts ,that being prophesy because it plainly speaks for edification. but a prophet is an office ,just like an apostle. remember that Paul said when the lord revealed himself to Paul he conferred not with flesh and blood and really didn't talk to the other apostles till later. .and that we are build ed on the foundation of the apostles and prophets ,Jesus being the corner stone/ They had special revelation greater than the gift of prophesy. they had special revelation of Jesus and Gods purposes for the the church ans the world. ..Eccl 1:9 The thing that hath been,it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done:and there is no new thing under the sun. God give us revelation in the knowledge of his will!!

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Focus focus focus .. ------> on God!!!
how much further we would all be if we all did this ..
number one goal of the enemy? To "STEAL" our FOCUS ...
If He can get you to quirk your head just for a second to hear something...to look at something .. To gain your attention on anyone and anything else ... He will do it .. He is doing it .. Right here in these very forums ...wake up!!! He drags you off...,in a " split second " we are bickering and debating ... this is his goal....
eyes on god.. His word .. Make no mention Of others errors ... work out your own salvation ... How much further we all would be to do this!! WHO is guarding the gates...?? look for a fuss your going to find ine , look for a debate you'll find that too... But also you will be drug off course... let the
Light penetrate the darkness.... it is all around ... We are to be the light standing on a Hill... pointing the way...mouths shut! God has spoken for years , has been , is and will always be the true authority! Not us! looks like we are pointing the finger at eachother asking "who is greater in the kingdom of heaven". none of us are! less we become like children and obey... go stand at the posts... your hills ... In a uniform line to "His" throne ... not ours! stop acting like little gods before Him...He will not have it ! this I assure you ... less you cause one of these little children to stumble and fall??? edify the body of Christ ... Stop walking around like dead men with bones .. beating your chests And one another's ...stop looking at one another and members of the body ... We are walking with a Limp in these forums ...a body with a broken leg ... pride, arrogance, all if it ...This is a temple of almighty God... for others to come and "know HIM.. not us or our thoughts.... But Him and His thoughts for us all.....what is all this other rubbish ??
are you a pentecostal or charismatic?