Question about Clean and Unclean Food

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jesus4ever

May 18, 2015
Thank you for so many answers, dear brothers.

To be honest, I´m still not sure if I should eat pork and seafood. Pork is not a good meat to eat, anyway, so I really think I´ll pass. As for shrimps (which I really love), I guess I´ll stop also.

Dec 26, 2014
good and very good, jesus christ is lord ! and even if you don't understand completely, obeying jesus just because he is lord, without knowing why or even asking why, is very good - one of the marks of his faithful disciples.

O

oldthennew

if anyone's mind tells them that it is ok to eat a buzzard-owl-hyena-mouse-rat-serpent-etc.
then if you believe in your heart of hearts that it is OK, then by all means, chow-down ---

for me and my house,
we choose to eat what will nourish and keep our immune system working in full force,
in order to keep us healthy and in a good and orderly mind in order to serve our Lord and Master
to the best or our learned ability - by elimination of all things that can kill and cause disease.

if any of you have ever smelled a live buzzard or owl that is the result of what they have eaten, may God have mercy upon you!!! = IF you truly think that all things that our Father has created will give you a long and health life.

Jesus4ever

May 18, 2015
good and very good, jesus christ is lord ! and even if you don't understand completely, obeying jesus just because he is lord, without knowing why or even asking why, is very good - one of the marks of his faithful disciples.
All I want is to please and obey the Lord, dear brother. Not thinking about salvation, but only in to serve and please Him the best way I can. Sometimes I think I could do much more...

B

Biblelogic01

if anyone's mind tells them that it is ok to eat a buzzard-owl-hyena-mouse-rat-serpent-etc.
then if you believe in your heart of hearts that it is OK, then by all means, chow-down ---

for me and my house,
we choose to eat what will nourish and keep our immune system working in full force,
in order to keep us healthy and in a good and orderly mind in order to serve our Lord and Master
to the best or our learned ability - by elimination of all things that can kill and cause disease.

if any of you have ever smelled a live buzzard or owl that is the result of what they have eaten, may God have mercy upon you!!! = IF you truly think that all things that our Father has created will give you a long and health life.
Amen to this!

When I was in high school (and I stated this on another thread I believe), my personal trainer (also my assisstant youth minister), who has a degree in nutrion had me change my diet to a "Kosher" diet because overall if doing that diet properly is the healthiest diet to be on. He is not Torah observant or anything along that line, he just gave me that advise as a nutritionist.

A

atwhatcost

To be honest, I´m still not sure if I should eat pork and seafood. Pork is not a good meat to eat, anyway, so I really think I´ll pass. As for shrimps (which I really love), I guess I´ll stop also.
I have it easy. I can't eat pork because it disagrees with me. I rarely eat shellfish because it cost too much or I'm allergic to it. (I'm only allergic to clams and oysters now, but my family genes tell me I'll become allergic to all fish some day.) And I don't have to worry about desert foods, because they'd have to be imported, so, again, I can't afford them.

As long as I'm not eating something for the offering to idols, I see no problems. (Since we don't offer food to idols anymore, not a problem. lol) My only problem with eating many foods are digestive. Have to say, I miss peanuts and kielbasa the most. :D

john832

May 31, 2013
Dear brothers and sisters,

I know this may have been analysed before, but recently, I started to have questions about eating pork, rabbit and sea food. Well all know that Leviticus 11 tells us that these types of food are forbidden by God. However in the New Testament Jesus said:

- Mark 7:15 - There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

- Matthew 15:11 -
Not that which goes into the mouth defiles a man; but that which comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.

But Jesus also said:

- Matthew 5:17 - Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

I know that some say that one should obey God´s law regarding Clean and Unclean food and others go for Mark 7:15 and Matthew 15:11. However, I´m not sure what to do. Until I have my answer, I´m stooped eating pork, seafood and I will stop eating rabbit.

What are you thoughts about this?

God bless!
Mark 7...

Mar 7:1 Then the Pharisees and some of the scribes came together to Him, having come from Jerusalem.
Mar 7:2 Now when they saw some of His disciples eat bread with defiled, that is, with unwashed hands, they found fault.

First of all, we are talking about bread, not meat. The real subject is found in the rest of the verse, eating with out washing as the Pharisees prescribed...

Mar 7:3 For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands in a special way, holding the tradition of the elders.
Mar 7:4 When they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash. And there are many other things which they have received and hold, like the washing of cups, pitchers, copper vessels, and couches.
Mar 7:5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked Him, "Why do Your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashed hands?"

The discussion was around eating bread without special ceremonial washings. The subject is not clean or unclean meats but rather TRADITIONS of the Pharisees.

Actually, Mat 15 gets to the heart of the matter...

Mat 15:1 Then the scribes and Pharisees who were from Jerusalem came to Jesus, saying,
Mat 15:2 "Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread."
Mat 15:3 He answered and said to them, "Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition?

Christ did not "nail the Law to the cross", our penalty for BREAKiNG those Laws was nailed to the cross.

Lev 11 is not about ceremony, it is instruction from the Designer and Creator of the human body about what is food and what is not.

john832

May 31, 2013

Christ (the Creator of the human body) knows what is food and what is not. He gave us instruction about what to eat and what not to. If every one would read this...

Lev 19:19 'You shall keep My statutes. You shall not let your livestock breed with another kind. You shall not sow your field with mixed seed. Nor shall a garment of mixed linen and wool come upon you.

and then obey it, GMO's would not be an issue today.

eternallife7

May 19, 2015
Mark 7...

Mar 7:1 Then the Pharisees and some of the scribes came together to Him, having come from Jerusalem.
Mar 7:2 Now when they saw some of His disciples eat bread with defiled, that is, with unwashed hands, they found fault.

First of all, we are talking about bread, not meat. The real subject is found in the rest of the verse, eating with out washing as the Pharisees prescribed...

Mar 7:3 For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands in a special way, holding the tradition of the elders.
Mar 7:4 When they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash. And there are many other things which they have received and hold, like the washing of cups, pitchers, copper vessels, and couches.
Mar 7:5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked Him, "Why do Your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashed hands?"

The discussion was around eating bread without special ceremonial washings. The subject is not clean or unclean meats but rather TRADITIONS of the Pharisees.

Actually, Mat 15 gets to the heart of the matter...

Mat 15:1 Then the scribes and Pharisees who were from Jerusalem came to Jesus, saying,
Mat 15:2 "Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread."
Mat 15:3 He answered and said to them, "Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition?

Christ did not "nail the Law to the cross", our penalty for BREAKiNG those Laws was nailed to the cross.

Lev 11 is not about ceremony, it is instruction from the Designer and Creator of the human body about what is food and what is not.
Hebrews 13:10 is so important to understand and so many here are not comprehending what it means. Romans 3:19-21

eternallife7

May 19, 2015
For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: Those are not my words they are scripture. And it happens to show that the Old Testament and New Testament are two different covenants also.

JimmieD

Apr 11, 2014
Christ (the Creator of the human body) knows what is food and what is not. He gave us instruction about what to eat and what not to. If every one would read this...

Lev 19:19 'You shall keep My statutes. You shall not let your livestock breed with another kind. You shall not sow your field with mixed seed. Nor shall a garment of mixed linen and wool come upon you.

and then obey it, GMO's would not be an issue today.
What about polyester, denim, furs, nylon, ramie, silk, leather, ....? Should people wear only linen or wool garments? If not, are those other materials ok to mix together in a garment? It's hard to see how Leviticus 19:19 is really applicable given the diverse material which clothing is made from these days. Leviticus 19:19 makes sense if the intended audience is a late Bronze age/early Iron age, semi-nomadic Israelite, but not to someone who has the option of wearing other material.

Dec 26, 2014
if jesus is lord, if yahweh is god the creator, you should obey him just because he says so.

btw, there's reasons, but not for a crowd like gathers here.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Best rule of thumb is:

1) Keep food colder than 45 degrees for safe storage

2) Keep food hotter than 140 degrees for safe consumption.

3) Be sure any meat you cook reaches a center temperature of 165 degrees before consuming.

That should take care of all of it.

Dec 26, 2014
hmmmm... what rule of thumb for the temperature of hg ? pb ? cd ? pxcide? hxcide ? parasites? blood?

C

CRC

According to Leviticus, the Israelites could not eat the flesh of certain animals, both domestic and wild. These prohibitions served two purposes. On the one hand, they forbade various kinds of flesh, among which were those most likely to be infected by harmful organisms. And on the other hand, these prohibitions helped to strengthen the barrier between the Israelites and the surrounding nations. The Mosaic Law was to be a temporary arrangement. Writing to fellow Christians, the apostle Paul described it as a “tutor leading to Christ.” (Galatians 3:24) A tutor of ancient times accompanied children to and from school. He was generally not the teacher; he merely led the children to the teacher. Similarly, the Mosaic Law was designed to lead God-fearing Jews to Christ. Jesus promised that he would be with his followers “all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.” (Matthew 28:20) Once the Christian congregation was formed, therefore, the “tutor”—the Law—served no further purpose. (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:25) The dietary restrictions concerning clean and unclean animals are no longer incumbent on Christians. Thus each Christian is free to choose what will be included in his or her diet.

K

Kaycie

We are not under the old covenant that did physically what we now do spiritually today. Acts 10:15 says not to call anything unclean that God has made clean. God was not only referring to Gentiles, but to foods as well. We know this because of 1 Timothy 4:3- we are not to teach people to stay away from certain foods for RELIGIOUS reasons, even though they were told to do so under the old covenant. It was even foretold that we would eventually no longer be forbidden to eat certain foods for religious reasons, in Genesis 9:3.

But it took a long time to come about, just like it took a long time to fulfill Genesis 6:3, for people were still living for hundreds of years. Now if you want to advise someone to choose chicken instead of pork because it's healthier, that's fine. But you cannot tell someone that God demands that you not eat pork in today's world, because that is not true. Jesus was right in saying that it is not what you put in your body that makes you spiritually unclean, it's bad intentions that come out of you that makes you unclean.

B

Brighthouse

ah brother Jesus forever come out of bondage!! rom 14:20!! the law was never written for the New Testament believer.( rom 2:14-16) not through stone!( 2 cor 3:6-18) please look also at rom 3:20,rom 5:20 where it says the law actually increases sin!! And finally rom 10:4! Not yet enough perhaps?? LOL heb 8:6-13) The first is obsolete,why we would become this way by holding to something that has no part of the New testament believer???

Dec 26, 2014
you're right k..... only people with impure* hearts continue to eat p.rk after (seemingly) becoming a child of God.

*(bad intentions)

caveat emptor: there are (or may be) some exceptions, - yahweh decides.

eternallife7

May 19, 2015
stick with what jesus says (said). it hasn't changed. and if you agree with jesus, that's life. switch to what man says, that's death.
I am not trying to switch to what man says, I am just trying to point out that the two covenants are different. One is for the righteous(justified by Christ) and the other is for the ungodly. 1 Timothy 1.9 respectfully.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
You can't be under both covenants at the same time!

You can allow Jesus to satisfy the Law on your behalf and pay your penalty; or you can seek to obey the law on your own behalf and pay your own penalty.

Ge 9:3-4
3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
KJV

is also from the Law; and is addressed to all mankind.

Lev chapter 11 is addressed to Israel and those under the law. Men of Israel did not go about with their circumcision on display. Lev chapter 11 was intended to be an outward sign of being under the Law. We are now supposed to be recognized by our love for one another.

1 Ti 4:1-5
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
KJV

is addressed to Jesus' believers.