Quick question about tithing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

chubbena

Tithing is good. One may learn to fear the Lord our God. If only one knows how to appropriate the OT instructions.
I'm pretty good with spending the money for whatever I desire, oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever my appetite craves. I don't know what to do with the rest of the instructions though.

You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. And before the Lord your God, in the place that he will choose, to make his name dwell there, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and flock, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the Lord your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, which the Lord your God chooses, to set his name there, then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. And you shall not neglect the Levite who is within your towns, for he has no portion or inheritance with you.

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
But that's not tithing. It's temple tax, isn't it?
I don't see it that way. I give my (at the very least) 10% to God. Doesn't matter if I give it to my church, missionaries, or the guy on the corner. Tithing isn't about the other person, it's about me learning to give.

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
Tithing is good. One may learn to fear the Lord our God. If only one knows how to appropriate the OT instructions.
I'm pretty good with spending the money for whatever I desire, oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever my appetite craves. I don't know what to do with the rest of the instructions though.
It's talking about the Feast days that they were supposed to travel to get to (Passover, Sukkot, etc). Once there, you would spend your money on the offerings and sacrifices. But, if it was too far for you to travel, you could spend it on the other things.

But don't forget to take care of the Priests.

Aug 28, 2013
But that's not tithing. It's temple tax, isn't it?
Luke 21:1-4 was not tithing. Nor was it Temple tax. It was a gift... a free will offering.

Luke 21:1-4 And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury. And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites. And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all: For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.

C

chubbena

I don't see it that way. I give my (at the very least) 10% to God. Doesn't matter if I give it to my church, missionaries, or the guy on the corner. Tithing isn't about the other person, it's about me learning to give.
Every charity I tried these days turned out to be scams and fraud. I couldn't even trust my friend with the "God bless you" sign at the traffic light. When we first met he said he's a refugee and he can't go back home or he will be persecuted. He also said that he is very ill and he lives on the street, is poor and hungry. Then we became friends. Then he disappeared for a month. I thought he died. I finally saw him again and he told me he went back home (really?). I offered him work at where I work and he said no for he would lose the government support which is close to a thousand dollars a month (really?).
I'd like to give but there's nowhere I could in North America.

C

chubbena

It's talking about the Feast days that they were supposed to travel to get to (Passover, Sukkot, etc). Once there, you would spend your money on the offerings and sacrifices. But, if it was too far for you to travel, you could spend it on the other things.

But don't forget to take care of the Priests.
The priests get paid quite often quite well. In the OT it was for those priests not working at the temple at the time. In the NT I thought Paul said everyone has to work to earn his living so what do I do?