Reading Greek words

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 12, 2013

I could not afford all the books. if I bought all books, would be well over 1000 dollars.

I would at times rather use books though.
I got lucky HAH in 95 and found a store called heavens treasures going out of business...had 90% off all books in the store....A friend and I cleaned house and each bought a load of books for around 100 each....I used to have about 300 books in my library, but now just have about 100 as I whittled them down to straight study books as I really don't like to use commentaries.......very rare for me to consult one and when I do..if it doesn't jive I chunk the view and study/pray harder....

E

eternally-gratefull

that is lucky. I have some I wish I had on computer so I could copy and paste in here. Sometimes it is a pain to type out a quote from a book..lol

N

Nick1939

Well what is confusing me is that the definition of epithumeo has four different definitions.
Lust, Desire, Covet

And the translators choose the one lust and when I look up in the dictionary what that is it says sexual desire. Are all four definitions in the greek for that word the same? Is it just that lust back in Jesus time had a different definition?

Sorry for two topics I couldn't delete the other one and thought no one knew the greek.

[TABLE="width: 606"]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]

1. [*=left]to turn upon a thing
    [*=left]to have a desire for, long for, to desire
    [*=left]to lust after, covet

1. [*=left]of those who seek things forbidden
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]KJV Translation Count — Total: 16x
The KJV translates Strongs G1937 in the following manner: desire (8x), covet (3x), lust (3x), lust after (1x), fain (1x).

See here it seems each definition is separate and used for different verses so how could this be covet and not lust?[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Justin 777 I am Greek and I be glad to help, the words are the same ,the meaning change according to the context.
compare Mat 5:28 with luke 22:15 it is the same word,in Mat 5:28 is forbidden but in luke is OK. I hope that help God bless.

N

Nick1939

Dcontroversal , I am glad you study hard , I would like you to read Phil 1:23 and tell me what does it say,and what is the meaning of it ,
I hope your books can help,thanks,God bless

E

eternally-gratefull

Dcontroversal , I am glad you study hard , I would like you to read Phil 1:23 and tell me what does it say,and what is the meaning of it ,
23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;??

Dec 12, 2013
The context is the following...

Verse 12 Everything that had happened in Paul's life had led to an expansion of the Gospel being preached.
Verse 13 The Gospel had spread thru the "palace" and all "other places" while Paul was bound.
Verse 14 Many of the brethren were bold to preach in light of Paul's preaching while being bound
Verses 15-18 Some preach out of love (for God) some preach out of jealousy and pretense to add to Paul's affliction
Verse 19 Paul believes this will lead to his safety, deliverance and or rescue (word salvation) thru prayer
Verse 20 Paul expects to magnify Jesus both in life and in death and will not be ashamed of his witness and or Jesus
Verse 21 For Paul to live....it will result in the glorification of Jesus Christ and he will continue to preach Christ
And to die is gain....I.E. Paul would be with Christ...Paul had counted ALL things but DUNG if you remember right..
Verse 22 To live in the flesh and preach results in present situation which he views as the fruit of his labor....REMEMBER JESUS said....To suffer for and with Jesus leads to great gain.....

Verse 23 Paul was in a (pickle) He knew that to depart and be with Christ (die) was far better, but to abide in the flesh was for the brethren more useful (needful) for them (verse 24)...........

He had a desire and a longing to be with Jesus, but knew if he was allowed to live he could continue to assist the brothers and sisters in Christ through teaching, instruction, example, with etc.......

N

Nick1939

The context is the following...

Verse 12 Everything that had happened in Paul's life had led to an expansion of the Gospel being preached.
Verse 13 The Gospel had spread thru the "palace" and all "other places" while Paul was bound.
Verse 14 Many of the brethren were bold to preach in light of Paul's preaching while being bound
Verses 15-18 Some preach out of love (for God) some preach out of jealousy and pretense to add to Paul's affliction
Verse 19 Paul believes this will lead to his safety, deliverance and or rescue (word salvation) thru prayer
Verse 20 Paul expects to magnify Jesus both in life and in death and will not be ashamed of his witness and or Jesus
Verse 21 For Paul to live....it will result in the glorification of Jesus Christ and he will continue to preach Christ
And to die is gain....I.E. Paul would be with Christ...Paul had counted ALL things but DUNG if you remember right..
Verse 22 To live in the flesh and preach results in present situation which he views as the fruit of his labor....REMEMBER JESUS said....To suffer for and with Jesus leads to great gain.....

Verse 23 Paul was in a (pickle) He knew that to depart and be with Christ (die) was far better, but to abide in the flesh was for the brethren more useful (needful) for them (verse 24)...........

He had a desire and a longing to be with Jesus, but knew if he was allowed to live he could continue to assist the brothers and sisters in Christ through teaching, instruction, example, with etc.......
Very good and thank you for the reply. but I am still not clear according to your last paragraph , I want to know your Greek definition on the word " depart "

You said depart and be with Christ (died). but in your last paragraph you said that he was longing to be with Christ, which is correct, Dead or in Heaven with Jesus ? thanks God bless.

N

Nick1939

23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;??
That is what it says but how do you know if that is correct translation,and here is the question according to the present reading,
If depart is correct, which way is he heading ?to death or to heaven? and it cannot be on both places .thanks for your comment and God bless.

J

justin777

I think he's talking about how he wants to die so he can go to heaven but knows he is a benefit to the world so doesn't want to go.

C

ChristIsGod

You're too young. My father is 96 ... we still need you here :24 !

N

Nick1939

I think he's talking about how he wants to die so he can go to heaven but knows he is a benefit to the world so doesn't want to go.
You half way there,but you still not clear, as to when he plans to go to heaven if Christians at death go there at all.
to the contrary Jesus says in Rev 22:12 and behold I come quickly,and my reward is with me, to give every men according as his works shall be,
It seems to me he is coming to us instead we go to him.
2 Tim 4:6 For I am now ready to be offered and the time of my departure,( better translation RETURN ) is at hand, V. 7 I have fought a good fight,i have finished my course , I have kept the faith,hence forth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness which the Lord shall give me at that day..
what day is he talking about? when he died or when Jesus return? thanks for your answer,God bless..

Dec 12, 2013
Very good and thank you for the reply. but I am still not clear according to your last paragraph , I want to know your Greek definition on the word " depart "

You said depart and be with Christ (died). but in your last paragraph you said that he was longing to be with Christ, which is correct, Dead or in Heaven with Jesus ? thanks God bless.
comes from analou and means to break up, depart and or return.......From the literal sense..to undo again and is a euphemism for "to die"

His longing to be with Christ was based upon his death...to be absent from the body is to be present with Christ......so he was saying that to Physically die would be gain...in the sense that to be absent from the body is to be present with Christ...

Note 2nd Corinthians 5:6-8

Last edited:
May 2, 2014
Well what is confusing me is that the definition of epithumeo has four different definitions.
Lust, Desire, Covet

And the translators choose the one lust and when I look up in the dictionary what that is it says sexual desire. Are all four definitions in the greek for that word the same? Is it just that lust back in Jesus time had a different definition?

Sorry for two topics I couldn't delete the other one and thought no one knew the greek.

[TABLE="width: 606"]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]

1. [*=left]to turn upon a thing
    [*=left]to have a desire for, long for, to desire
    [*=left]to lust after, covet

1. [*=left]of those who seek things forbidden
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]KJV Translation Count — Total: 16x
The KJV translates Strongs G1937 in the following manner: desire (8x), covet (3x), lust (3x), lust after (1x), fain (1x).

See here it seems each definition is separate and used for different verses so how could this be covet and not lust?[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

The translators just pick what they believe is what the passage says, sometimes they're wrong. The best way to understand what a word means is to search as many uses of it that you can find, read them it should give you a general sense of the word, that what translators do.