Secular Psychology

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

danschance

Coocaw, I can see you have a way with the women....a way that makes them want to vomit through their eyes and run in a panic.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
If God could use Balaam's donkey, he certainly can use a secular psychologist (Not talking about psychiatry here - who are licensed doctors!)

However, I think Biblical counseling, using the Word of God is a much better way to go. I know I do a tremendous amount of counseling as a chaplain in long term care with those who are depressed. There are many ways to reach people, but without hope in God, I feel the battle is lost.

I am not saying someone should not try all angles. A good therapist, from what I understand can be very helpful. When I took Biblical Counseling, we talked a lot about the differences between a secular and a Biblical counselor.

I do know my husband and I went to many under-qualified Christian marriage counsellors and they did not help our marriage. We finally went to a secular one and she put our marriage back together in 4 sessions, merely by identifying the issues, and then making us work on them. The Christian ones had no concept of how to analyze the problem, nor the effect depression can have on a person and a marriage. But I did pray for my marriage for years, and I know that God used this secular counselor as the answer.

However, I do recommend people search the Scriptures and see what God says. Personal transformation through the power of the Holy Spirit has got to be part of the process, or any kind of counseling will simply not be effective.

Good question!!

D

danschance

I agree. Secular plumbers, bus drivers, policemen, pharmacists, etc can do a great job. I realize secular physchology has some some flaws but that does not mean we should throw the baby out with the bathwater. It seems to me that Christians tend to vilify secular psychology unnecessarily. It helps many people and is currently the backbone of mental health around the globe.

I went to a secular psychologist back in the mid 80's and he may of saved my life. I had gone thru a divorce and remained in depression until one day I decided to kill myself. I knew then I needed help and got it. The psychologist on the very first session told me I did not fit the normal pattern of depression and said he would only see me if my doctor would look for a medical reason why I was depressed. My Doctor found that my thyroid was not working properly and a simple daily med solved my problem.

So I am thankful for that secular psychologist as he may of saved my life.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Homewardbound, I believe we all attempt to do the same. As for the subject of the thread, I have had intricate involvement with people in this field. As I mentioned before, this has been my own experience, but the bottom line is once someone has been found by the Good Shepherd, it seems out of the question going to any other for help; He is our help, and He is all in all.
So you have had all this happen to you:

Been shot, stabbed, choked to die, face and head bashed in, broken jaw top and bottom, lost all teeth, 4 immediate family deaths first started at my age 14. Was an alcoholic did drugs, abused in service boot camp severely, and the last one was foreigners Gangrene.

and that is a small amount and still trust God, yet need help as I have gotten here as well from others such as yourself. and thank you much for the Love from you that has come my way, hope to have dome the same for you and is why fellowship is Important, yet God first and foremost, be our life and share to one another.
The last episode was and is the killer of all tragedies in my life. Yet I have learned and won't give up as Job would not either, no matter what and I do not have a counselor that is berating me as they did Job in Job's day.
Anyway to each their own whether of humility or arrogance, for me I know nothing and have suffered in the flesh deeply. Still thanking God in the midst and if I were not I would be dead, would have taken my own life, if I did not think God has a purpose through all this.
So no one else has ever been in need like Job?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
We have all had our share of suffering. I will not go into my own, but Yeshua knows them. All I can say is nothing can compare to the joy of having come to Yeshua, and being taken in by Him.

I can say this, my list includes illness, hunger, bullets, and much more. It does no service to anyone to list them, and only the suffering and death on the cross of our Lord is worthy, for He did all knowing beforehand because He loves each of us, even from the cross.

So you have had all this happen to you:

Been shot, stabbed, choked to die, face and head bashed in, broken jaw top and bottom, lost all teeth, 4 immediate family deaths first started at my age 14. Was an alcoholic did drugs, abused in service boot camp severely, and the last one was foreigners Gangrene.

and that is a small amount and still trust God, yet need help as I have gotten here as well from others such as yourself. and thank you much for the Love from you that has come my way, hope to have dome the same for you and is why fellowship is Important, yet God first and foremost, be our life and share to one another.
The last episode was and is the killer of all tragedies in my life. Yet I have learned and won't give up as Job would not either, no matter what and I do not have a counselor that is berating me as they did Job in Job's day.
Anyway to each their own whether of humility or arrogance, for me I know nothing and have suffered in the flesh deeply. Still thanking God in the midst and if I were not I would be dead, would have taken my own life, if I did not think God has a purpose through all this.
So no one else has ever been in need like Job?

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Sarcasm is an over the top response to make a point.
It's so over the top that it seems inane.
That's why it's used in comedy.

To make a point I use it.
Why?
Because it seems to fit.
You will say I judge.
Yes I do.
That is what we are doing. We are judging the object of the thread.
Each and every thread has people submitting their heart felt beliefs.
I use sarcasm sometimes to submit mine.
- Are you judging me for that?
- - Judge not lest ye be judged? - Well you just judged me.
So stop with the equilibrium rhetoric.
No I told you how it makes me feel and am honest to that, but you are rebuking this and are not heart felt to me in this and are making more out of it than what is. Okay I know where you stand and pray for your happiness in Father through Chirst, thanks

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
We have all had our share of suffering. I will not go into my own, but Yeshua knows them. All I can say is nothing can compare to the joy of having come to Yeshua, and being taken in by Him.

I can say this, my list includes illness, hunger, bullets, and much more. It does no service to anyone to list them, and only the suffering and death on the cross of our Lord is worthy, for He did all knowing beforehand because He loves each of us, even from the cross.
Thank you and am safe and secure in Father through Christ, and did not put my sufferings for ant sympathy, only going through what I am going through, as I know if we got 20 people in a circle and we all threw in our sufferings, it would probably take no longer than ten minutes before we would want our own back

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Secular psychology ...a few highly undeveloped thoughts.
1. That field easily becomes a tool in the hand of whoever is in power. (Rem Germany 30's-40's)
2. The disciplines theories are in constant flux.
3. God gave Adam dominion over the earth/dust/his body...the mind is God's domain see 1cor 2:11
4. A christian psychiatrist can tap into the best of both worlds ...even having experienced both.
5. The Great Physician is our trump card.

Aug 27, 2013
Just curious what folks think about secular psychology as a whole and wether it can effectively treat some of our modern day ills or wether it is a load of hogwash theories put together by ungodly men who don't know their left foot from their right.
My favorite bible teacher is dead set against it , but I know some people don't have issues with it either way.
Keen to hear people thoughts.
buy a book called, "The Wounded Heart".

The author is a believer, and holds a degree in theology.

He's also holding a degree in psych, counseling I think, but maybe not counseling.... not sure which is the masters which is the doctors.

Read it with a person who was sexually molested as a child. That's what the book is written about. There are tendencies that are consistent in every child who was molested as a child. They manifest in various ways, just as individuals react differently, but the path that child will take henceforth is well known.

His book deals with reconciling those scars, which affect the person, their interpersonal relationships, and their relationship with God.

If he can write a book that a molestation victim can read and think he knows them and has been spying on them to know this stuff, I'd say there is something to it.

it's simply a study of behavior patterns. And we hold similar behavior patterns in certain ways... ALSO, why is criminal profiling so successful? Criminal Minds (U.S. TV SHOW) for example?